Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Camera to Buy?? - Read me Before Posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Hi folks,

I'm heading off abroad in January for the first time and I'd like to get a decent camera before I go. I'm looking for a Digital Camera and I have a budget of about €500.

My parents got me a 2megapixel Olympus for my 21st birthday 7 years ago which I'm very fond of but times move on and I'm looking to get something decent for the US. I was looking at the Olympus 550 because I liked my old one and I'm familiar with the brand but it seems to be getting average reviews.

Can anyone here recommend some alternatives or give me your Opinions on the Olympus and other brands?

Thanks,.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

For low-light P&S photography the Fujifilm f31fd (or the upgraded f51fd) will be hard to beat. It approaches dSLR quality in terms of noise free high iso images.

As a Nikon dSLR user I should be biased towards Coolpixes I suppose but actually I find the Canon powershot series remarkable value for money (and has great features too). Lots of manual options for those who want to be a bit more creative.

Panasonic has some good cameras out FX3(?) Long zoom in a compact case - very bad high ISO images however.

Don't know too much about the Olympus 550 - see www.dpreview.com for great reviews on cameras (they have a discussion forum too, you'll be sure to find lots of help there too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm sure it should be pretty easy to use. Pop into Dixons etc and take a look at one to see if it feels right for you. Then feck off to pixmania and save some money!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

could get my hand on one for €300 - is it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

sorry i refer to the above message - which camera of these two is better and why?

Panasonic FX100 or Panasonic TZ3

all help appreciated

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I just bought myself a Nikon P5100 to replace an old Canon Powershot(A60).

I havent had a chance to use it yet but am hoping I made the right purchase.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Hi

Does anyone have any comments/experience with the Casio Exilim 10.1MP Digital camera??

You need to give the model number - I think there are a few models that have 10.1mp for Casio Exilim...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi,

I'm going to get a digital camera for my girlfriend and was wondering what you would recomend. Cheers in advance
    • Needs to be below E200 (the further below the better!)
    • I'd prefer if used sd cards but doesn't really matter
    • A good battery life
    • She takes lots of picture in pubs and stuff so it would need to be good in low lighting situations
    • She complains her current camera is to slow at taking pictures, so a fast one(if thats possible!)
    • She certainly wont be making posters so no ridiculous MP!

Any advice is appreciated. Also i've no prob buying online either so if you wanna suggest a place that would be great!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi folks, great thread!

I've been looking to make that step toward becoming an "enthusiast", so have decided to pick myself up one of those Canon 400Ds that seem so popular with many here.

Has anyone any thoughts on the refurbished models available on eBay?

As there isn't a huge difference in price, would one be better off sticking with a completely new model?

Any other thoughts etc welcome. :)

Hi Daisy ;), have a look at Kea Photo on Ebay. You can get a new 400D body for similar money plus postage. They're based in Hong Kong and generally their parcels magically avoid tax most of the time... Lots of people here deal with them so they're very trusted. Argos are currently selling a 28-135mm IS lens for half price (compared to Argos UK) which would be a great all rounder lens. Also have a look at the 50mm f1.8 as its dirt cheap and razor sharp!

Hi,

I'm going to get a digital camera for my girlfriend and was wondering what you would recomend. Cheers in advance
    • Needs to be below E200 (the further below the better!)
    • I'd prefer if used sd cards but doesn't really matter
    • A good battery life
    • She takes lots of picture in pubs and stuff so it would need to be good in low lighting situations
    • She complains her current camera is to slow at taking pictures, so a fast one(if thats possible!)
    • She certainly wont be making posters so no ridiculous MP!

Any advice is appreciated. Also i've no prob buying online either so if you wanna suggest a place that would be great!

You're looking for the holy grail there a bit!
    This one might be a start
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/534477/art/canon/powershot-a560.html
    It uses AA batteries so get a set of high capacity NiMHs and it'll go for ages.
    It has pretty good noise performance so she can stick it at ISO 800 for those pub shots.

Also this one has IS (image stabilization) so that would help in low light:
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/534572/art/canon/powershot-a570-is.html

5uspect wrote: »
    Hi Daisy ;)
    Damn you 5uspect my powers here are worthless!
    have a look at Kea Photo on Ebay. You can get a new 400D body for similar money plus postage. They're based in Hong Kong and generally their parcels magically avoid tax most of the time... Lots of people here deal with them so they're very trusted. Argos are currently selling a 28-135mm IS lens for half price (compared to Argos UK) which would be a great all rounder lens. Also have a look at the 50mm f1.8 as its dirt cheap and razor sharp!
    The thing is, at this point I know feck all about lenses. I thinking I'd be better off (financially and otherwise) to get the standard 18-55 mm jobbie, and upgrade at a point in the future when I'd notice the difference!

So now I'm thinking either this eBay crowd (also recommended here), or this seller in the UK.

My credit card is half out of my wallet!

Dades wrote: »
    Damn you 5uspect my powers here are worthless!The thing is, at this point I know feck all about lenses. I thinking I'd be better off (financially and otherwise) to get the standard 18-55 mm jobbie, and upgrade at a point in the future when I'd notice the difference!

So now I'm thinking either this eBay crowd (also recommended here), or this seller in the UK.

My credit card is half out of my wallet!

URGalaxy are also excellent, I hope to finally get a speedlight from them soon...
    The 18-55 mm lens is a great learning lens in that case. The Argos lens is similar but better quality and a steal that that price, the IS is really handy.
    The 50mm f1.8 is a lens everyone should have and be got for as little as €60. Its also fast in low light (f1.8 = very wide aperture) but its a prime so you zoom with your feet. EDIT: it has rubbish build quality but its wonderfully sharp!

Personally I'd get the 400D body with 50mm f1.8 prime and see about getting a secondhand 18-55 as you'll soon out grow it, then save for the argos lens or similar.

The 50mm f1.8 is a lens everyone should have and be got for as little as €60. Its also fast in low light (f1.8 = very wide aperture) but its a prime so you zoom with your feet. EDIT: it has rubbish build quality but its wonderfully sharp!
    What - no zoom?!

With the Canon there ain't much difference between the body, and the body+lens kit, so I'm thinking I'll lay off buying an alternative 'good' lens w/zoom such as that argos one, until I've 'mastered' the standard fella. My budget is stretched as it is!

Must... learn... photography... terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

finally have enough money (i hope) to buy my first DSLR.
    whats the best to begin with?
    my limit is about €600 at the most
    went into a few shops in town and was recommended the nikon D40? any good for a beginner?

Thanks! =D

What - no zoom?!

With the Canon there ain't much difference between the body, and the body+lens kit, so I'm thinking I'll lay off buying an alternative 'good' lens w/zoom such as that argos one, until I've 'mastered' the standard fella. My budget is stretched as it is!

Must... learn... photography... terms.

Well as long as you know which end to look thru you'll be fine.

Well as long as you know which end to look thru you'll be fine.
    I'm sure my Chinese instruction manual will have pictures...

Ordered this morn from one of those eBay sellers. So what's this I hear about an Autumn challenge... :D

• Advertisement

kateos2 wrote: »
    finally have enough money (i hope) to buy my first DSLR.
    whats the best to begin with?
    my limit is about €600 at the most
    went into a few shops in town and was recommended the nikon D40? any good for a beginner?

Thanks! =D

The D40 has its pros and cons. Some here detest it and some here love it.
    From what I've read it has a limited feature set but otherwise is a solid responsive camera. Its main competitor would be the Canon 400D (or older 350D) which has a better sensor (megapixels are not a good indicator of performance). I'm not sure about Olympus bodies but I'm sure someone will be along to comment on that.

You could look at getting an older Nikon D50 as another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

great thanks! hmm theres a d50 on ebay, highest bid so far €180 without lens. quite tempted to place a bid. been there since the 9th n left for a day i think! ooo decisions! :S

Don't forget adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Hi folks,

I'm going travelling for a year and I wanna get a camera. I've been looking at the Fujifilm s5800. I had an earlier version of this about 3/4 years ago (can't remember the model number) but it was stolen. I got a Coolpix since, which is okay but not great. I wanna get a camera like the s5800 as I don't really like point + shoot camera but at the same time I'm not mad into photography so don't wanna spend loads on a sSLR.

Anyhoo my question is what are ye're opinions ont he s5800? And would ye have any other recommendations?

Canon G9 - heard good things about this "professional" point and shoot.
    Nikon p5100 - can use an external flash on this advanced compact cam
    Nikon D40 - very cheap dSLR (the one I use ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Damn you 5uspect my powers here are worthless!

Aw crap, how did I miss this? :) /me rubs it in

Daisy, you foolishly went with Canon instead of Nikon. You are now one of "them"...

Zillah wrote: »
    Daisy, you foolishly went with Canon instead of Nikon. You are now one of "them"...

/dons dark hooded robe and rubs hands in glee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Thanks Thirdfox.

Zillah wrote: »
    you foolishly went with Canon instead of Nikon. You are now one of "them"...
    I blame peer pressure! Couldn't be any worse than my FinePix S5000!
    /dons dark hooded robe and rubs hands in glee...
    Stop scaring the people in the cubicle beside you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Billie May

I am about to buy one of these cameras Nikon D40x or Canon EOS Rebel Xti (400D) **price difference irrelevant**

D40x with Nikon lens 18-50 (f3.5-5.6) , 55-200 (f4-5.6 )

Canon 400D with lens 18-50 (f3.5-5.6) , 55-200 (f4-5.6 )

Which would you buy ? why?

Advertisement