Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Camera to Buy?? - Read me Before Posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm going to go against the grain and suggest that if you want to buy a good camera, go for an OM1 in decent nick. they're beautifully made.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ruu wrote:
    I'm going to go ahead and pick up a Nikon D50 shortly from here. Is the bundle included worth it? Finally getting rid of the point and shooteh. Thanks for advice in advance.

I'd check out the accessories in more detail than they seem to give there. Look for reviews of the wide angle lens and see if the professional tripod they're offering is worth it. Best of luck with the new camera, you'll love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Thanks very much, appreciate the advice chums. :)

ok i really cant afford a DSLR and i like working with digital images so an SLR is prob out but i do want a semi professional ceamra ...and did i mention im on a huge BUDGET...

so i was looking at fugi's 'finepix S5500 Zoom' and was wondering has anyone used it?....or does anyone have any opinions on it?

its only 259 for 6 million pixels, 3X Optical Zoom with an extra 512MB xD card, case and charger. Worth €100 from pixels..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hi,

I'm looking to get my first digital camera and my budget is around €200
    As it's my first I don't think it's worth spending much more than that.
    I was looking on Pixmania and have spotted the following:

Fuji FinePix Z3 and Nikon Coolpix S9 and Olympus µ 700

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

Mik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Out of those you selected, I'ld pass on the nikon. They all have similar specs, but the nikon only goes up to ISO400.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers BP - I still have a lot to learn:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Read This if you are wondering what lens to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm thinking of getting the FUJI FinePix S9600 .

My main area of interest is nature photography. A reasonable zoom to be able to capture wildlife is pretty important as well as being able to do the big panoramic landscapes.
    This camera seems to be the best value in my ~€400-500 budget.
    Anyone feel I should look at something else in this price range?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

For the money it's hard to beat the Fuji bridge cameras. The s9600 is a good choice (I used to have the s9500, basically the same camera).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

I'm also thinking of upgrading my S5000 to the S9600... finding the reaction times too slow for football matches! Anybody any comments on whether it will be good for that purpose?

Also, have been looking at this shop on ebay for a while now, anybody know anything about them? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DigitalRev-Photography-Shop

andrea wrote:
    I'm also thinking of upgrading my S5000 to the S9600... finding the reaction times too slow for football matches! Anybody any comments on whether it will be good for that purpose?

Also, have been looking at this shop on ebay for a while now, anybody know anything about them? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DigitalRev-Photography-Shop

There is still noticeable lag with the 9500/9600 while it autofocuses. Setting it to continuous mode helps and you can adjust to the lag very quickly.

Is there less lag than with the 5000? Supposed to be faster startup time as the lens is already "out"...

Sounds like it doesn't impress that much, is there a better alternative without spending a lot more money?

andrea wrote:
    Is there less lag than with the 5000? Supposed to be faster startup time as the lens is already "out"...

Sounds like it doesn't impress that much, is there a better alternative without spending a lot more money?

Startup happens in the amout of time it takes to get the camera from your waist high to eye level (I typically walked around with it off, but my finger on the power switch. It was always ready as quickly as I was).

Cant comment on the comparions between the 5000 and the 9600. That info should be on dpreview though.

bp_me wrote:
    Startup happens in the amout of time it takes to get the camera from your waist high to eye level (I typically walked around with it off, but my finger on the power switch. It was always ready as quickly as I was).

Cant comment on the comparions between the 5000 and the 9600. That info should be on dpreview though.

Well that's definitely quicker startup than the 5000, I usually leave mine on when I intend using it again as otherwise I'd never get a shot!

Does the manual focus not help the focus time also?

Have checked out dpreview and the comparisons, it definitely seems to be a much better camera but am unsure whether it is enough of an improvement to be worth splashing out, or whether there would be a better option...

I took the plunge and ordered one with a 2gb flash card, can't wait!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    I took the plunge and ordered one with a 2gb flash card, can't wait!
    Hope you get even nearly as much enjoyment out of it as I have with my s5000 in the past 3 years!

Just out of curiosity, where'd you buy it from?

I ordered it on ebay from a "power seller" so should be safe, total price including delivery was 376 euro (converted from sterling) for the camera and 2gb memory.
    Its an american seller but parts ordered in europe are shipped from Nottingham in the UK apparently so shouldnt be hit with tax.

andrea wrote:
    Well that's definitely quicker startup than the 5000, I usually leave mine on when I intend using it again as otherwise I'd never get a shot!

Does the manual focus not help the focus time also?

Have checked out dpreview and the comparisons, it definitely seems to be a much better camera but am unsure whether it is enough of an improvement to be worth splashing out, or whether there would be a better option...

Manual focus is all but impossible to use quickly on a bridge camera.

If you are already comforatble with the manual settings would you consider a Nikon D80 or a canon 400d. They are a good deal more expensive than the 9600, but in terms of performance they will blow it out of the water. Given that you shoot sports, the f2.8 on the wide end of the fuji's lens is of little use to you and you will likely be using at least f5.6 on it. There are plenty of cheapish zooms that will offer similar performance with a larger effective zoom on a 1.5x crop digital slr.

bp_me wrote:
    Manual focus is all but impossible to use quickly on a bridge camera.

If you are already comforatble with the manual settings would you consider a Nikon D80 or a canon 400d. They are a good deal more expensive than the 9600, but in terms of performance they will blow it out of the water. Given that you shoot sports, the f2.8 on the wide end of the fuji's lens is of little use to you and you will likely be using at least f5.6 on it. There are plenty of cheapish zooms that will offer similar performance with a larger effective zoom on a 1.5x crop digital slr.

To be honest I've considered both of those, and their predecessors (been thinking of upgrading for quite a while now!) but the cost of an slr and then a whole load of lenses for it just seems too much to me...

Also, while I have some idea what I am doing manually, I usually just use auto or sport settings at matches and am afraid I'd be out of my depth with an slr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,163 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Longfield wrote:
    I ordered it on ebay from a "power seller" so should be safe, total price including delivery was 376 euro (converted from sterling) for the camera and 2gb memory.
    Its an american seller but parts ordered in europe are shipped from Nottingham in the UK apparently so shouldnt be hit with tax.

I bought a panasonic fz7 from them(i presume the same folks) two weeks ago, refurb+2gb card for 240euro. Very happy with it, like new, delivered a week after buying from england.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Hi folks was I see this camera
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5604298/Trail/C%24cip%3D50489.Photography%3EC%24Brand%3DSamsung.Samsung.htm
    is on sale at Argos for €195 looks too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Hi I posted this yesterday under the 'what camera to buy@ thread but got no response so thought i would bump it here.
    Hi folks was I see this camera Samsung S850
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ng.Samsung.htm
    is on sale at Argos for €195 looks too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

well that link has been removed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

eolhc wrote:
    I bought a panasonic fz7 from them(i presume the same folks) two weeks ago, refurb+2gb card for 240euro. Very happy with it, like new, delivered a week after buying from england.

what ebay store did you buy it from ?

If it was digital rev was the charger a UK one or was it a US one with an adapter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,163 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Spyral wrote:
    what ebay store did you buy it from ?

If it was digital rev was the charger a UK one or was it a US one with an adapter ?

http://stores.ebay.ie/Emilyandlily-Store_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfclZ3QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2QQtZkm

yes the charger is american two pin, so needed to buy an adapter for it, but that just cost 1.50 euro

I got my 9600 from the same seller, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

can anyone give me any opinions on the Canon Powershot G7, is it a good general purpose camera? Ive read a bunch of reviews but they are a little over technical to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Im thinking D40x guys - its 850 euro with kit liens in pixels or the place in blanchardstown shopping centre.

I dont want to get an non EU model due to warantee and so on but if theres any suggestions then PM me or something please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Am just looking for a start off DSLR and saw this on the first page of the thread, is it any good?

FUJI FinePix S5600 Zoom: http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/135359/art/fuji/finepix-s5600-zoom.html

Advertisement