Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't homeless people have houses?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

User45701 wrote:
    a simple way to fix this as i see it would be some sort of baby lisence maybe?
    if there are those that can not control themselves and mate without thinking of what could happen
    So make unplanned pregnancies illegal? Even if a couple got knocked up by accident and would probably stay together and raise the child they shouldn't be allowed to keep the child or should be punished for it. Trying to control reproduction is the stupidest thing in the world. Reproduction is the single most important part of nature and will happen no matter what you try to do, single mothers are just nature winning out over civilization.

Help those that fall get back on their feet and let us all live free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

julep wrote:
    yeah. and then we'll gas them.

bloody protestors would never leave them lay the pipeline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

ScumLord wrote:
    They have to want to get back on their feet, or you're just feeding your own feel-good fairy.

If and when they make the decision to get back on their feet, as already stated there are countless charities to help them.

Probably the worst thing to do is give them a few euro - that just helps them spend one more drunken night on the street and puts them off that bit longer from trying to get sorted out.

I'm afraid the homeless in Ireland are not a factor in my middle class guilt ridden conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ScumLord wrote:
    So make unplanned pregnancies illegal? Even if a couple got knocked up by accident and would probably stay together and raise the child they shouldn't be allowed to keep the child or should be punished for it. Trying to control reproduction is the stupidest thing in the world. Reproduction is the single most important part of nature and will happen no matter what you try to do, single mothers are just nature winning out over civilization.

Im sorry but i relay relay hope people like you come to the conclusion that you are wrong.
    The only future for us a a species is another war or to cut back on reproduction
    look at our citys now, scum everywhere and looking back in time it seems that crime is on the rise, one can only assume that as long as those are allowed to mate and produce children to get a house whose children do the same. The drain is too much. Shouldn't the money that goes twards houses for those that cant afford them either?

1.Be a simple list that does not show favor to one that is preggers, having a child is not a illness - if you have a illness you get priority on a housing list-that should be it, no priority for preggers

2.The only other option is to tax everyone less and leave give people the option of being taxed more if they want to support people who are preggers and cant afford a house

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Are you related to NetWhizKid by any chance?

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote:
    Are you related to NetWhizKid by any chance?

I have seen or heard the name somewhere before but no i am not related nor am i him
    i would not use the word whiz or kid in my user name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Well they wouldnt be homeless if they had a home now would they! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

grasshopa wrote:
    many of whom have a REAL illness have to sleep on the streets tonight in sub-zero temperatures?
    Many of whom prefer to sleep out in the open (and drink), than stay in a DCC/Simon Community "hostel" (and not drink). Also, as some of them make a good amount of money. Finally, because a few (and I mean a few) are addicted to X or Y substance, and can't kick it. If they wanted to, they could get into a hostel for about €10 a night, but that would mean kicking their bad habits.

Sometimes its hard to kick their alcoholism, as its their "safe place", being drunk. Some came from abusive homes, or their lives have been f**ked beyond repair, and they've found escape at the bottom of a bottle. Whereas you and me may goto a shrink, they cost money, and money is something some homeless people don't have. Thus, its an endless cycle of hardship.

As for "get preggers and get a house", its the same if you get married. This is because its easier to put a married couple, or a "family" together in one house, than it is to put two random people into a house. Why not just one? Because that'd be wasting a room, a room that could house someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

MarkR wrote:
    Long waiting list for single occupants I'd imagine.
    It's almost infinate.

Most homeless also have mental health problems and have completely fallen through the cracks of the mental health system in this country.

But then again, how ironic OP that you sit in your own (or even your parent's) warm comfortable house at an Internet connected PC and bitch about the homeless at Christmas time.

If you think it's a such cushy number then give it a try yourself.

Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

User45701 wrote:
    i will still spend 100% of everything i earn..... Let me explain

No need to explain. Just because you spend everything you make as single doesn't mean that you are being hard done by. You want to afford a house try making sacrifices from the list you just spun off.

It's a different story when your not single and you don't have that choice anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

User45701 wrote:
    2.The only other option is to tax everyone less and leave give people the option of being taxed more if they want to support people who are preggers and cant afford a house
    There is a third way and it involves launderies, but we tried it in the 50's and I think we can safely say that it didn't work out.

Hobbes wrote:
    No need to explain. Just because you spend everything you make as single doesn't mean that you are being hard done by. You want to afford a house try making sacrifices from the list you just spun off.

It's a different story when your not single and you don't have that choice anymore.

I dont understand i thought i said regardless of if im single or with someone i will still spend 100% of what i earn just some of it would change from things i like to what she likes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

bloody protestors would never leave them lay the pipeline
    then maybe we need a motivational speech from a motivational speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,355 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some people just don't have the (social?) skills to live in a house.
    Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    I can understand people having a chip on their shoulder with regard to people fcuking the system.
    I think you are on the wrong thread. Most homeless people aren't "fcuking the system".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Dublinwriter, how was I complaining and bitching about homeless people? Re-read me post phool!
    the_syco wrote:
    Many of whom prefer to sleep out in the open (and drink), than stay in a DCC/Simon Community "hostel" (and not drink). Also, as some of them make a good amount of money. Finally, because a few (and I mean a few) are addicted to X or Y substance, and can't kick it. If they wanted to, they could get into a hostel for about €10 a night, but that would mean kicking their bad habits.

I know, and I thought the same, and there are those homeless people who prefer living off the streets, and homeless people that I've met recently said that most people on the streets don't really need to be, but there are those that are really stuck for it.

Anyways when did everyone start saying preggers...

To those who wonder why I put it in AH - same answer to the following question: "The boats are gone, the fish are gone, WHEERRRE ARE THEY GONE???".....

I am feeling fat and sassy. Tá mo thread ag dul síos an bothar.

User45701 wrote:
    I dont understand i thought i said regardless of if im single or with someone i will still spend 100% of what i earn just some of it would change from things i like to what she likes

Your spending habits doesn't define why you should get less tax as Single. As it stands single people have less to worry about when it comes to what to spend on.

Hobbes wrote:
    Your spending habits doesn't define why you should get less tax as Single. As it stands single people have less to worry about when it comes to what to spend on.

Because if i was to have any hope whatsoever of getting a house as a single person i would have to save almost everything i get paid, maybe spend 50 a month on internet and some money on food but if you are to have any hope of buying a house as a single person you would need to save almost everything for a long time before the bank will be convinced you are a saver and give you a mortgage.
    The problem with this is while saving for the deposit you have limited enjoyment and once you have a mortgage its the same problem your expenditure is so much your happiness level is restricted because of the cost of paying a mortgage as a single person let alone a single person on min wage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Victor wrote:
    Some people just don't have the (social?) skills to live in a house. I think you are on the wrong thread. Most homeless people aren't "fcuking the system".
    I wasn't referring to homeless people. The question was, why don't homeless people have houses? My answer being that they should be housed but the countries resources are being abused by those who don't need them - "fcuking the system".

User45701 wrote:
    The problem with this is while saving for the deposit you have limited enjoyment and once you have a mortgage its the same problem your expenditure is so much your happiness level is restricted because of the cost of paying a mortgage as a single person let alone a single person on min wage

What makes you think there was ever a time when a single young person on an average wage (for their age) could go out and buy a house?

There was a short period in the late '90s and early '00s when you could buy a house and make enough money off tenants to pay the mortgage. That was unsustainable, and we've seen pretty clearly how the market responded to that situation.

Neither of my parents ever owned a house until 5 years after they got married (bought in 1978), and both were well qualified and employed.

User45701 wrote:
    Because if i was to have any hope whatsoever of getting a house as a single person i would have to save almost everything i get paid, maybe spend 50 a month on internet and some money on food but if you are to have any hope of buying a house as a single person you would need to save almost everything for a long time before the bank will be convinced you are a saver and give you a mortgage.

Yeeeaaa! Welcome to the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    I wasn't referring to homeless people. The question was, why don't homeless people have houses? My answer being that they should be housed but the countries resources are being abused by those who don't need them - "fcuking the system".

That's one factor, another is that for some homeless it's a choice to stay out on the street, but i'd say one big factor as to why we have so many homeless is the due to lack of houses/hostels for them.
    What I can't understand is how quick the government & many of the Irish people are to give money in there millions each year to help third world countries, disasters and all the foreign nationals coming into the country, yet when it comes to our homeless all you hear is "a lack of hostels & resources". Charity begins at home & we should look after our own first.

hellboy99 wrote:
    What I can't understand is how quick the government & many of the Irish people are to give money in there millions each year to help third world countries, disasters and all the foreign nationals coming into the country, yet when it comes to our homeless all you hear is "a lack of hostels & resources". Charity begins at home & we should look after our own first.

That's a very good point, and although I don't doubt that some of our P.C boardsies will accuse you of being racist or bigotted, I actually agree with you.
    We are a wealthy country, and so, if we can help those suffering elsewhere in the world, we should do so, but, I am also of the belief that we should tend to home grown situations before offering our assistance outside.

I don't think of you understand what i am trying to say.
    what i am saying is that if we had a different system, one where it was not possible for people to take advantage of it then tax could be reduced and then make it easyier someone who is single to be able to afford a house instead of simply sitting around waiting for parents to die off, its harsh to say that but in many cases its wither that or decide to screw the system yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Unfortunately not having an address to begin with means it's hard to get benefit/fill out forms etc. What should be done is to get a postoffice box for a homeless person, help them fill out forms etc and get them a house.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I am also of the belief that we should tend to home grown situations before offering our assistance outside.
    We don't really have to ignore overseas concerns. Most governments are capabile of multitasking, this is one of those problems that could be greatly reduced if the people set their minds to it and researched real solutions instead of just putting a bandaid on it.
    user45701 wrote:
    what i am saying is that if we had a different system, one where it was not possible for people to take advantage of it then tax could be reduced
    Their never going to reduce tax in this country. You want something like the American system where your only worth helping if you can aford it?

User45701 wrote:
    make it easyier someone who is single to be able to afford a house instead of simply sitting around waiting for parents to die
    Why do you think it should be a priority to make it easier for someone single to buy a house?
    Why do you need a house?
    Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    hellboy99 wrote:
    That's a very good point, and although I don't doubt that some of our P.C boardsies will accuse you of being racist or bigotted, I actually agree with you.
    More of this daily horse-shit about the foreign nationals getting all our money - just because you got in first with a dig about PC boardsies doesn't mean that his comments don't read as racist bigotry.

I will donate my hard earned money where and to whom I bloody well want. The homeless? their problems are of their own making. Their continued problems are because they don't do anything about it. There is plenty of money spent on the homeless in Ireland, I will continue to donate my money to the third world. These are people whose misfortunes are due to the country and situation they were born in and for whom there is no way out, no matter how hard they try.
    Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    We are a wealthy country, and so, if we can help those suffering elsewhere in the world, we should do so, but, I am also of the belief that we should tend to home grown situations before offering our assistance outside.
    Good for you.
    I am of the belief that everything that can reasonably be done for the needy in Ireland is being done and that any more money poured into the situation might as well be burned. People who don't try to help themselves are not going to benefit from our help.

Gurgle wrote:
    Why do you think it should be a priority to make it easier for someone single to buy a house?
    Why do you need a house?

More of this daily horse-shit about the foreign nationals getting all our money - just because you got in first with a dig about PC boardsies doesn't mean that his comments don't read as racist bigotry.

I will donate my hard earned money where and to whom I bloody well want. The homeless? their problems are of their own making. Their continued problems are because they don't do anything about it. There is plenty of money spent on the homeless in Ireland, I will continue to donate my money to the third world. These are people whose misfortunes are due to the country and situation they were born in and for whom there is no way out, no matter how hard they try.

Good for you.
    I am of the belief that everything that can reasonably be done for the needy in Ireland is being done and that any more money poured into the situation might as well be burned. People who don't try to help themselves are not going to benefit from our help.

Since when did this thread become all about you?
    I was talking about the government, and what they spend tax payers money on.
    You can do whatever the hell you want with your money, it's none of my business.
    Also, by saying all homeless people are homeless because they have chosen to be homeless, I assume you know 'all homeless people'.

I don't doubt that there are 'some' homeless people who are homeless through their own making, and that they could even be accused of being homeless simply because they are not willing to help themselves.

However, I am going to make the assumption that this is not the case with the majority of homeless people.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,355 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gurgle wrote:
    Many homeless people only had a modest input into the lives they lead, whether they were previously institutionalised (in the UK one third of older homeless men are ex-soldiers), abused, kicked out of an unstable home or through some other effect on them by those around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Saintly

Worked with homeless adults for a long time - I never had a problem sourcing a hostel bed, with the obvious exception of when someone is barred. Chronic alcohol and drug addiction makes the long term homeless person's behaviour chaotic and challenging - we simply don't have the range of services to deal with the needs - i.e. lots of beds, very limited psych service, very limited inpatient alcohol treatment programmes. It is a little depressing because the gov has flung money at homeless services for years now and there are a ridiculous number of reports, service policies and reviews, but it just hasn't targeted the homeless population effectively.

Just in general, there is limited supported accommodation - so if you do manage to help someone back on their feet, they are flung back into an unsupported enviroment and get back on the roundabout. With regard to housing, many homeless people in Dublin are former Dublin City Council tenants who have been evicted due to anti social behaviour.

Saintly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Saintly wrote:
    With regard to housing, many homeless people in Dublin are former Dublin City Council tenants who have been evicted due to anti social behaviour.

I didn't know that and it means I've even less symapthy for the homeless then I did before.
    They can hardly complain that the Government is failing to provide them with social housing if they already were given housing and abused it and bothered their neighbours

Anti-social housing is a big problem in many council estates and the Council could evict a lot more people for anti-social behaviour if they ever decided to.

Advertisement