Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards hiding at the end of bus lanes, WTF?..

Options
  • 18-12-2006 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Does this bother anyone else?.

Would their time be better served making a visible presense, thereby being a deterent to motorists using the lanes?.

This is something which really bother's the bejasus out of me.

I mean, the city is running amock with crime and these lazy ba$tards (IMO) spend their time hiding behind bus shelters, lamp posts, parked buses & around bends waiting for a 'crime' to happen instead of preventing it.

Rant over...

(Oh and no, I haven't been caught in a bus land)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dont have bus lanes where i come from

we're not fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,528 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not every guard is going to be fighting the crimelords.
    If they are "hiding" at the end of bus lanes it is for good cause-to catch people who use them illegally.
    I am all for it.
    Kippy

If they did this in Galway, I'm pretty sure most of the taxi drivers would have hefty fines by now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If they did this in Galway, I'm pretty sure most of the taxi drivers would have hefty fines by now.

Taxi drivers are allowed to use the bus lanes, are they not??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mairt wrote:
    (Oh and no, I haven't been caught in a bus land)

There's a bus land?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

even better was last week i was getting a lift home and there was a guard at the start of the buslane waving people into it for freeflow or whatever. then about 600-700 meters down the lane at an intersection was a guard stopping people who had used the bus lane :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Faith wrote:
    There's a bus land?!

Of course there is!.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

jaggeh wrote:
    even better was last week i was getting a lift home and there was a guard at the start of the buslane waving people into it for freeflow or whatever. then about 600-700 meters down the lane at an intersection was a guard stopping people who had used the bus lane :P

now that don't make a lick of sense!!!

kippy wrote:
    If they are "hiding" at the end of bus lanes it is for good cause-to catch people who use them illegally.
    I am all for it.
    Kippy

So while the rest of us are suppose to work towards crime prevention, guards should get away with lazing policing?.

Seriously, should their job not be to prevent crime from happening in the first place than catching an offender after he/she has offended?.

Taxi's are allowed use bus lanes. Although officially their suppose to be either hired, with a passenger or going to a pick up. Their not suppose to be for hire in a bus lane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Mairt wrote:
    So while the rest of us are suppose to work towards crime prevention, guards should get away with lazing policing?.

Seriously, should their job not be to prevent crime from happening in the first place than catching an offender after he/she has offended?.

I think you should write a strongly worded letter of complaint!! Failing that, whine about it on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Were they eating doughnuts? I bet they were eating doughnuts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Mairt wrote:

No because I don't drive in the bus lane when I am not allowed.

The whole problem with a lot of drivers is that they don't behave unless there is a visible Garda around. Which is not the point of safe driving.

Thread on this already in Motors forum. Short jist is that your more liable to be caught for something during Operation Freeflow then any other time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The whole thread serves to show that the Irish Motorist for the most part will DO ANYTHING provided he/she does not get caught.

Every day of the week you see laws being broken regarding bus lanes/roundabouts/mobile phones/parking/ poor lane discipline /speeding...I could go on...

I'm all for the guards hiding up trees if they can catch those w***ers basically don't give a toss about courtesy but do as they please and screw the rest of us.

GO GET 'EM

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

jaggeh wrote:

Brilliant - i love driving in Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

thread on spirling crime....thread on guards hiding in bus lanes....hmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mairt wrote:

Yes, me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Faith wrote:
    There's a bus land?!

Yes, Faith. It's where the city runs amock. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Driving through the Lee tunnel in Cork (tunnel under the river) and guards where in there cause guess why it was raining outside. Had traffic backed up for ages and even caused a crash further back along the line. Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Jesus Mairt, guys in fairness im well pissed at people here bitching about the Gardai, come on like they are doing the best they can with what they have been provided. I know people who are in them and all the exams and continuous assessements they undergo before they can even call themselves a Garda is unreal yet nobody ever says that, you should be happy that people still want to do that type of work in an ever increasing violent nation. Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I remember getting pulled over by a Garda for driving in a bus lane in Dublin, he was just standing at the side of the road flagging people down.

I point out that the bus lane hours of operation were posted on the sign over his shoulder (he was standing right under it), and that the hour of the moment was not within the coverage listed on the sign. He didn't seem impressed.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is another thread similar to this, suggesting cameras. Cameras would be an excellent idea, the gardai pulling over cars slows things down even futher, and the bastards usually have them pull up illegally onto cycle tracks!

With cameras the garda is "always there" so cars that do drive when no garda is there, will not use the lane if they know a camera is there. So a guy can sit in some office somewhere just typing in licence numbers and have the fines automated. Makes far more money and sense.

Why drives me even more crazy is ignorant gardai letting empty people carriers drive on bus lanes, seems you only have to paint "micks city buses" on the side of a reasonably large vehicle and you can go in a bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Driving through the Lee tunnel in Cork (tunnel under the river) and guards where in there cause guess why it was raining outside. Had traffic backed up for ages and even caused a crash further back along the line. Idiots.
    in all fairness, i would say that poor driving caused that crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I was with my Dad and he was given a ticket for driving in the bus lane. The circumstances were disgraceful.

Those of you who know the Nutgrove area of Dublin will be able to visualise this better:
    He was driving from Nutgrove shopping centre towards 'The Yellow House' pub, where he was turning left at the lights. Traffic going straight through the lights was backed up by about 20 cars. The filter light for turning left was green but no one was turning left ahead of him, so my Dad turned into the empty bus lane which stupidly doesn't end till about 10 metres from the lights. There is a bus stop just before the lane ends and lo and behold a garda emerges from behind it where he'd been hiding. He knew exactly why my Dad had been in the bus lane(for no more than 20metres) but still gave him a ticket. If anything he was relieving traffic! Why sit stationery in a lane you're ultimately not using when you have a filter light to turn left you can use by driving in an empty bus lane for a matter of seconds?

Madness! The Garda knew exactly what he was doing because he wouldn't have situated himself there otherwise. I'd say he caught dozens of motorists using the lane in identical circumstances.

kippy wrote:
    I am all for it.
    Kippy

This thread isn't about people illegally using the lanes or not. Its about lazing policing methods which mean that instead of being a visible deterent & preventing a crime happening, the guard hides like a sly little whore and catches the motorist in the lane.

I just think the guards time would be better spent being visible and detering people from using the lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Mairt wrote:
    I just think the guards time would be better spent being visible and detering people from using the lanes.
    I see what you are getting at but the gardai are not there all the time. You want people to know they are around so they know if they can break the law or not. That is like saying the gardai should make announcements like "we will not be policing for drunk driving or speeding this bank holiday weekend". Lots of people would drink & speed. If the guy looks for the gardai he will break the law every day he is not there. What is the deterrent? if the gardai is there he will not break the law. If he gets caught by a hidden garda then the next time he will be thinking "those sly gits hide!, I can no longer risk breaking the law simply because I cannot see them".

The only way around it is constant garda prescence, but more sensible is cameras catching everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭markpb

Nunu wrote:
    Those of you who know the Nutgrove area of Dublin will be able to visualise this better

Actually it doesn't matter where it is, the same thing happens at junctions all around the city. It might not be entirely fair but at the end of the day, your dad made a conscious decision to break the law and use the bus lane to his own advantage.
    which stupidly doesn't end till about 10 metres from the lights

Why is it stupid? If the lane ended any earlier, cars would jump in even earlier, blocking the bus from getting to the junction and defeating the entire purpose of the bus lane.
    Madness! The Garda knew exactly what he was doing because he wouldn't have situated himself there otherwise. I'd say he caught dozens of motorists using the lane in identical circumstances.

Garda in being in the right place for catching people breaking the law shocker! You make it sound like he forced them to drive in the bus lane so he could catch them.
    Mairt wrote:
    This thread isn't about people illegally using the lanes or not. Its about lazing policing methods which mean that instead of being a visible deterent & preventing a crime happening, the guard hides like a sly little whore and catches the motorist in the lane.

If gardai are visible on the road, people will see them and pull out of the bus lane. Then, knowing they are reasonably safe, they pull back into the bus lane and continue their journey. Without reasonably high coverage, deterrence doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Nunu wrote:
    I was with my Dad and he was given a ticket for driving in the bus lane. The circumstances were disgraceful.

Those of you who know the Nutgrove area of Dublin will be able to visualise this better:
    He was driving from Nutgrove shopping centre towards 'The Yellow House' pub, where he was turning left at the lights. Traffic going straight through the lights was backed up by about 20 cars. The filter light for turning left was green but no one was turning left ahead of him, so my Dad turned into the empty bus lane which stupidly doesn't end till about 10 metres from the lights. There is a bus stop just before the lane ends and lo and behold a garda emerges from behind it where he'd been hiding. He knew exactly why my Dad had been in the bus lane(for no more than 20metres) but still gave him a ticket. If anything he was relieving traffic! Why sit stationery in a lane you're ultimately not using when you have a filter light to turn left you can use by driving in an empty bus lane for a matter of seconds?

he didn't have the patience to wait for the traffic to move 50 metres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

kippy wrote:
    Not every guard is going to be fighting the crimelords
    And why not?
    Chasing bus lane users given the current state of crime in Ireland is just legal masturbation - it makes the guard feel good for a minute but does **** all good for anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

markpb wrote:
    Why is it stupid? If the lane ended any earlier, cars would jump in even earlier, blocking the bus from getting to the junction and defeating the entire purpose of the bus lane.

No in this and many situations, the cars would be turing left and not stopping at all unless there was traffic they had to yield to, in which case the bus would not be going anywhere either!

This happened to me years ago... only for me it was even less distance. I only pulled in to turn left about 2 yards or so before the "official" end of bus lane.. and i got a ticket from a motorbike guard behind me. I could not believe it.

I have more recently since freeflow started seen drivers in bus lanes only to be stopped by a garda waiting, but not ticketing.. just telling them off and getting them back in to traffic. Mean while other cars are pulling in practically hitting my car forcing their way in front to get out before the garda sees them :D Muppets.

Some bus lanes are retarded.. like the N32... no bus uses it :D At least they finally got rid of the bus lanes at the roundabout to the M50..

Advertisement