Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards hiding at the end of bus lanes, WTF?..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hagar wrote:
    And why not?
    Chasing bus lane users given the current state of crime in Ireland is just legal masturbation - it makes the guard feel good for a minute but does **** all good for anyone else.
    it makes me feel good as i whizz by all the traffic on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭markpb

Saruman wrote:
    No in this and many situations, the cars would be turning left and not stopping at all unless there was traffic they had to yield to, in which case the bus would not be going anywhere either!

It does make a difference though. If 2-3 cars decide to jump in early, even though they have priority, they will hold up a bus behind. The whole idea of bus lanes is to stop buses being held up.
    This happened to me years ago... only for me it was even less distance. I only pulled in to turn left about 2 yards or so before the "official" end of bus lane.. and i got a ticket from a motorbike guard behind me. I could not believe it.

So your problem is with the law, not the enforcement of the law. You knew the law, decided to break it and got caught. Boo hoo.
    Some bus lanes are retarded.. like the N32... no bus uses it :D At least they finally got rid of the bus lanes at the roundabout to the M50..

The N32 bus lane was never traffic lane and never will be a traffic lane. It was a hard shoulder converted into a bus lane for the duration of the port tunnel works. It used to have a bus service officially operating on it (AERDart) but they've gone out of business and sillyness on the part of the Dept. of Transport means that no-one else, not even Dublin Bus, can operate a service on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,527 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And why not?
    Chasing bus lane users given the current state of crime in Ireland is just legal masturbation - it makes the guard feel good for a minute but does **** all good for anyone else.
    Okay, every guard in the country including traffic cops head up to Dublin to sort out the gangland problem in Dublin.
    That would be a great idea-everyone else run riot.
    All the muppets out there on the roads can have a free for all, bad enough as it is already.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

kippy wrote:
    Okay, every guard in the country including traffic cops head up to Dublin to sort out the gangland problem in Dublin.
    [Sarcasm] Luckily there's no crime anywhere in Ireland except Dublin.
    There's no crime at all in Galway, no gangs running drugs down there at all.
    It just magically appears in the pocket of the dealer's hoodie. [/Sarcasm never ends in AH]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Nunu wrote:
    I was with my Dad and he was given a ticket for driving in the bus lane.
    You have no idea how people doing what your Dad did erk me on a regular basis. It can take my bus around 10mins to get through some junctions because of this carry on.

People complain so much about buses not being on time but I can't blame them when they are stuck behind imbecile drivers on a daily basis. The standard of driving that I have witnessed in Dublin is appalling.

I'm delighted to see that people are getting fined for this behaviour and I'd be only too happy if every single one of these people were fined till they learnt what a bus lane means.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Mairt wrote:
    Would their time be better served making a visible presense, thereby being a deterent to motorists using the lanes?.
    Surely that is being a deterent, and more effective in that drivers need to remember that they can be caught out at any stage when there are guards "hiding", whereas if drivers can clearly see where the gardai are then they will just "behave" themselves so to speak, until they see there are no gardai around and go back in the buslane or whatever.

I mean the reason they set up speedchecks at turns and the like is specifically to catch people out who, not to give you a chance to slow down before you meet the guards. That would be silly and in no way encourage people to follow the rules of the road imo. [/rant]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bus lane users being caught lessens road rage for those who are sitting fuming in the car lane day after day watching the bus lane skippers get away with it.

Up with that sort of thing I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

b3t4 wrote:
    I'm delighted to see that people are getting fined for this behaviour and I'd be only too happy if every single one of these people were fined till they learnt what a bus lane means.
    What p*****s me off about these people is the impact on types like me who try to obey the law and stay in the lane until the bus lane ends. As I go to move into the left lane, I find these eejits zipping up my inside preventing me from changing lanes. Then I get to hold up the innocents behind me as I try to move in as traffic moves off.

Good on the guard I say.

spurious wrote:
    Bus lane users being caught lessens road rage for those who are sitting fuming in the car lane day after day watching the bus lane skippers get away with it.

Up with that sort of thing I say.

This is the sort of thing that made me join he garda reserve!!!

(well not really but it might. Some day....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

[Sarcasm] Luckily there's no crime anywhere in Ireland except Dublin.
    There's no crime at all in Galway, no gangs running drugs down there at all.
    It just magically appears in the pocket of the dealer's hoodie. [/Sarcasm never ends in AH]
    The guards are doing their job sorting out the pricks who use the bus lanes without being allowed to. They are also doing their jobs catching people for drink driving and speeding. All of these things while minor in the whole scheme of things are breaking the laws of this country.
    You cannot say that other crime is being ignored because too many guards are standing at the end of bus lanes without proving it.

{sarcasm} AH is for idiots-myself included. {/sarcasm}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 celboy

were they wearing big pig suits and eating freshly cooked Bacon?

They were weren't they. :p

were they wearing big pig suits and eating freshly cooked Bacon?

They were weren't they.
    Thats the kind of attitude I expect in AH.
    That of a 12 year old and a stupid 12 year old at that.
    Kippy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

julep wrote:
    in all fairness, i would say that poor driving caused that crash.

Exactly what I was thinking. It seems some people have to blame the gardai for everything.
    markpb wrote:
    If gardai are visible on the road, people will see them and pull out of the bus lane. Then, knowing they are reasonably safe, they pull back into the bus lane and continue their journey. Without reasonably high coverage, deterrence doesn't work.

Exactly, and this defeats the purpose if you ask me. Its like the idea behind speed cameras on the road and having warning signs a few hundred meters before approaching them. What is the point? People are just gonna slow down, drive past, and speed up again. BUT, if the cops are hidden in various locations people wont be able to slow down in advance because they wont know where they are. And will eventually learn there lesson to stick to the law.
    Hagar wrote:
    And why not?

In normal circumstances its the Garda Traffic Unit doing speed checks and all other traffic related stuff. They are not responsible (and im not to sure if they can) hunt down criminals with guns shooting people down in the street etc. Thats a different departments duty, and thus why we now have Armed Gardai out on the street in visible presence to prevent such shootings. Also note, im sure the detectives who normally work in the office are doing their jobs by investigating the recent shootings, interviewing suspects etc. and trying to bring them to justice.

Also note the current state of Road Traffic Offences in Ireland. Cops visible, or hiding instead of having them all working on finding gang lords - will not solve the road problems we have in Ireland.

Honestly, it seems some people just cant fact facts. You break the law - expect to get in trouble. The laws are there for a reason. If you saw people doing road traffic offences and no cops were about because they were all huddled in on the investigation of the gang lords - you would be pretty pissed to im sure. The cops have more then one job to do - they have teams working on gang land crimes, working on road offences, general offences etc. all at the same time. Its not like we have one team told to "do those jobs throughout the day" - its broken up for a reason.

</rant>

Sully04 wrote:
    In normal circumstances its the Garda Traffic Unit doing speed checks and all other traffic related stuff. They are not responsible (and im not to sure if they can) hunt down criminals with guns shooting people down in the street etc. Thats a different departments duty, and thus why we now have Armed Gardai out on the street in visible presence to prevent such shootings. Also note, im sure the detectives who normally work in the office are doing their jobs by investigating the recent shootings, interviewing suspects etc. and trying to bring them to justice.

Agree totally, that's the job of the drug squad, surely, I mean they are the ones issued with guns and specifically working on that job. The traffic unit takes care of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

kippy wrote:
    Thats the kind of attitude I expect in AH.
    That of a 12 year old and a stupid 12 year old at that.
    Kippy

Get out more. For everyone's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sully04 wrote:
    thus why we now have Armed Gardai out on the street in visible presence to prevent such shootings.

Actually probably every armed checkpoint I've driven through the armed detectives where standing around chatting with their buddies while the uniformed lads were carrying out car tax inspections!.

Indeed during the 80's when we had a loyalist threat against the republic the governments response was to put up a 'ring of steel' around the captial comprising of army/guarda checkpoints. Do you know what we done?... (I'm a soldier).. We carried out car tax inspections.

Same was true during the first gulf war when we'd a 'ring of steel' around Dublin airport... You guessed it, more car tax inspections!.

Nope, policing the bus lanes does nothing to combat crime or make people feel safer in this god for saken country, it collect's revenue, pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hagar wrote:
    And why not?

are you suggesting that every gard in the country should abandon any attempt to stop criminals below the top tier of crimelords? :rolleyes: For years people were whingin g about getting a dedicated traffic corps set up, then they get it and the poeple whinge that these gards are upholdign traffic laws. I honestly cant believe how far people will go to whinge about something. Professional moaners.
    Mairt wrote:
    Seriously, should their job not be to prevent crime from happening in the first place than catching an offender after he/she has offended?.

What do you think this is , minority report?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭markpb

Mairt wrote:
    Nope, policing the bus lanes does nothing to combat crime or make people feel safer in this god for saken country, it collect's revenue, pure and simple.

Oddly enough policing the bus lanes makes them more efficient, letting bus users travel around faster (or at least at reasonable speeds). It has nothing to do with making people feel safer, I'm not sure where you got that idea.

markpb wrote:
    Oddly enough policing the bus lanes makes them more efficient, letting bus users travel around faster (or at least at reasonable speeds). It has nothing to do with making people feel safer, I'm not sure where you got that idea.

That wasn't my idea at all.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ats

Nunu wrote:
    I was with my Dad and he was given a ticket for driving in the bus lane. The circumstances were disgraceful.

Those of you who know the Nutgrove area of Dublin will be able to visualise this better:
    He was driving from Nutgrove shopping centre towards 'The Yellow House' pub, where he was turning left at the lights. Traffic going straight through the lights was backed up by about 20 cars. The filter light for turning left was green but no one was turning left ahead of him, so my Dad turned into the empty bus lane which stupidly doesn't end till about 10 metres from the lights. There is a bus stop just before the lane ends and lo and behold a garda emerges from behind it where he'd been hiding. He knew exactly why my Dad had been in the bus lane(for no more than 20metres) but still gave him a ticket. If anything he was relieving traffic! Why sit stationery in a lane you're ultimately not using when you have a filter light to turn left you can use by driving in an empty bus lane for a matter of seconds?

Madness! The Garda knew exactly what he was doing because he wouldn't have situated himself there otherwise. I'd say he caught dozens of motorists using the lane in identical circumstances.

your father entered a bus lane when it was not open to use, so deserved teh ticket. simple as.

I've noticed this all week and laugh my ass off every time i see someone held up. they're sitting there sulking about it.

as for the garda hiding, if they stood in plain view teh feckers would just force their way into traffic now wouldn't they and avoid a ticket. this way it slows them down and pisses them off and maybe they might just cop on that they cant drive in the bus lane.

ats wrote:
    pisses them off and maybe they might just cop on that they cant drive in the bus lane.

So now we've reduced the cop's job description to 'pissing people off!.

lol..

Advertisement