Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a failed girl

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

your not a girlie girl who cares?

Once your clean and tidy,and comfortable in yourself ,does it matter?

I don't iron either ,it is perfeclty normal.

Though you do sound slightly depressed aobut it all,would that be true?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Op, you need no cure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Spot on, Tar. OP, if your happy thats all that matters.
    Not being on a sunbed is good thing, do you want to end up like an oompa loompa and all these faked tanned Irish wimmens? I hope not. @ oompa loompa wimmen, you are from fucking Ireland, don't try and pretend you live somewhere else, wassocks. Ah that felt good.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ruu wrote:
    Spot on, Tar. OP, if your happy thats all that matters.
    Not being on a sunbed is good thing, do you want to end up like an oompa loompa and all these faked tanned Irish wimmens? I hope not. @ oompa loompa wimmen, you are from fucking Ireland, don't try and pretend you live somewhere else, wassocks. Ah that felt good.:)
    Ruu?Cursing?!Whaaaaatt?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I think most men would be more than happy with a woman who doesn't take 4 hours to get ready for a night out :D

My own opinion...I don't like the whole plastered in make up, fake tan and false nails thing at all...very...Jordan *puke*. Some guys love it and that's cool, just not for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

rb_ie wrote:
    Ruu?Cursing?!Whaaaaatt?!!

Ah sure why not, its nearly Christmas 'n all. I'm all done now. :) Natural wimmens ftw. .o/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is Christmas an angry time for you Ruu? You can let it all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Hey I can empathise with the OP. I've never been to a beauticians, nor been on a sunbed, nor do I know how to apply make-up. In fact I've never worn make up other than eye make up. 95% of the clothes I own are black. I hate soap opera's, fashion trends and also I always go out with my hair wet (however I own 2 hair dryers but havent a clue how to use them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

TINWOP!

seriously though, OP is what you are saying a problem, I mean has it stopped you achieving goals in life or is it merely something that you could do better on. if you look around the street in town you'll see a lot people who can't apply makeup right or match their clothes...

TINWOP!
    Heh.

And how can somebody not know how to use a hair dryer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Clothes:Although I have many nice clothes, none of them match each other. I have not ironed in six months. I still don't understand washing machine instructions. No matter how I try, I always look unkempt. I don't know what kitten heels are, and am unclear about skirt terms too.

While my clothes match, I don't shop very often as I hate it so much.. Bought a few dresses & pairs of shoes on E-bay though (new mind you) - much easier!

Hair: I cannot accomplish anything more than a ponytail. I bought a curling tongs and gave up in frustration after five minutes of waiting for it to heat up. I buy hair cair products but don't know how to use them. I don't own a hairdryer. I go out with my hair wet (but haven't caught my death of cold).

Never straighten or curl my hair.. If I haven't washed it that day, I tie it up & thats about it.. If I can be arsed I blow dry it, other wise I leave it dry naturally..

Makeup: When I try to look pretty, I end up like an extra from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I try to put on mascara and it ends up on my cheek. I buy makeup but don't know how to use it. Even for big nights out, I leave getting ready so late that I end up just applying mascara to my cheek instead of using my array of make up products.

Only wear make up if I'm going to the pub, which would be about once every 2 weeks, but only started at about 21/22, so depending on your age, don't worry about it. A lot of guys prefer girls natural!

Shopping: Dundrum shopping centre brings me out in a cold sweat. Clothes shopping with friends makes me revert to my five-year-old self: I want to go home, and I want to go home NOW. I'm physically afraid of smiling assistants.

As above, wherever possible I buy online! Everyone I know are getting dvds/cds/games for christmas - hurray for play & blah!

Conversation:I am not competent to discuss soap operas, hair, beauty routines, clothes or most of the other tea-break subjects.

I'm the same in work. I watch corrie, but usually fall asleep. The girls in my office drive me nuts talking for hours about what they're wearing to nights out - a solid month before our Xmas party they had decided exactly what shoes, bag, necklace they were wearing - I think that's just plain sad!

Beauty routines: I have never been on a sunbed, had a massage or gone for a facial. When I shave my legs, I use shampoo. I do not exfoliate regularly. Waxing worries me, and my ineptness at small talk (coupled with the hot wax) makes the whole affair uncomfortable.

Don't have any beauty routines - I shower & use moisturiser & deodorant & thats it.. Although, you're missing out so much by never having had a massage. They're brilliant (although I just finished a massage course, so maybe I'm biased). Not at all girlie in my opinion. Loads of men as well as women go for them!

What am I to do? Is there perhaps a support group for the likes of me? Can you advise me?

Just carry on being yourself, much better than being a sheep like a lot of women I know!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I was never much good at small talk either. Since I started drinking during the day, though, it's easier. It really helps at work too, no more awkward silences at the water dispenser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

r3nu4l wrote:
    My own opinion...I don't like the whole plastered in make up, fake tan and false nails thing at all...very...Jordan *puke*. Some guys love it and that's cool, just not for me :)
    spot on, all these dolled up types make me gag
    Nightwish wrote:
    (however I own 2 hair dryers but havent a clue how to use them).
    sorry buts thats just stupid - the hot air is blown out of one end, you point it at your head and it drys your hair.

ferdi wrote:
    sorry buts thats just stupid - the hot air is blown out of one end, you point it at your head and it drys your hair.
    Its a hair straightening one with a big contraption at one end which is meant to smooth out your hair as you dry it, but it didnt do that. All I got was a fuzzy looking head.

rediguana wrote:
    I was never much good at small talk either. Since I started drinking during the day, though, it's easier. It really helps at work too, no more awkward silences at the water dispenser.
    What a great suggestion:rolleyes:

I've watched many a girl straighten their hair with an iron. Does this mean you that you can iron clothes with a hair straightener?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Clothes: Although I have many nice clothes, none of them match each other. I have not ironed in six months. I still don't understand washing machine instructions. No matter how I try, I always look unkempt. I don't know what kitten heels are, and am unclear about skirt terms too.

I've never learned how to iron. I can, however, run a washing machine, which is the more important skill to have. You don't want to be the smelly kid.
    As for kitten heels, no clue. I tend to avoid heels at all costs.

Hair: I cannot accomplish anything more than a ponytail. I bought a curling tongs and gave up in frustration after five minutes of waiting for it to heat up. I buy hair cair products but don't know how to use them. I don't own a hairdryer. I go out with my hair wet (but haven't caught my death of cold).

Wash, dry, pull it up in a pony tail or messy bun thing, or just wear it down. No need to get fancy. A hair dryer can do wonders though...

Makeup: When I try to look pretty, I end up like an extra from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I try to put on mascara and it ends up on my cheek. I buy makeup but don't know how to use it. Even for big nights out, I leave getting ready so late that I end up just applying mascara to my cheek instead of using my array of make up products.

This is where my girly comes out! I love makeup. I have all sorts of wild colors in everything from eyeliners to shadows, rouge, lipsticks. I'm excellent with liquid liners and contouring. That all said, I only wear make up on weekends - no need to get fancy at work. Make up is as versatile as you are. If you want to look natural with it, you can. If you want to go glamourous, you can.
    In the event that you have to go somewhere and wearing make up would be ideal, I'd brush up on your knowledge just a little. You probably will never be as interested in it as some other girls, but it helps to know a few basics... like how to apply masacara safely.

Shopping: Dundrum shopping centre brings me out in a cold sweat. Clothes shopping with friends makes me revert to my five-year-old self: I want to go home, and I want to go home NOW. I'm physically afraid of smiling assistants.

I can spend about two hours shopping, tops. After that, my legs get sore, and I get frustrated. I can't walk around aimlessly looking at clothes.
    Don't be afraid of smiling assistants, just tell them you're 'just looking' or that you don't need any assistance right at the moment.

Conversation: I am not competent to discuss soap operas, hair, beauty routines, clothes or most of the other tea-break subjects.

I know nothing about soaps.
    I will talk about clothes and makeup with other girls.

Beauty routines: I have never been on a sunbed, had a massage or gone for a facial. When I shave my legs, I use shampoo. I do not exfoliate regularly. Waxing worries me, and my ineptness at small talk (coupled with the hot wax) makes the whole affair uncomfortable.

I've never done a sunbed, or waxing, or a massage. I got a facial once last Christmas. It was nice, but not nice enough for me to fork out all that money. And manicures and pedicures - :rolleyes:
    I do make sure to take good care of my skin though. I think it's really important since you'll be living in it for who knows how many years.

What am I to do? Is there perhaps a support group for the likes of me? Can you advise me?

Just do what you're comfortable with. A lot of girls don't do all of that 'girly' stuff. Some of us do a few here, a few there. I think many men can appreciate a low maintenance woman.
    Sometimes I wish I was a little more low maintenance myself! :o

Hey, I'm a guy who can iron, which apparently a lot of girls can't do....Does this make me a girl??

Hey, I'm a guy who can iron, which apparently a lot of girls can't do....Does this make me a girl??

Why yes, yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

cjt156 wrote:
    the rest is just parsley spinkled over a good meal.
    ha ha i like that!!

• Advertisement

Why yes, yes it does.

*looks at crotch only to see it shrinking by the second*

Oh noes!:eek: :eek: :eek:

*looks at crotch only to see it shrinking by the second*

Oh noes!:eek: :eek: :eek:

On the bright side.. you will get a nice pair of breasts!

Nah, I taught myself to iron- thus the many burns on my shirts. I have to iron every time I go to work.

My ma taught me to iron as soon as I was old/smart enough not to burn myself with it. I assumed everyone was taught these things until I came to college. (yes I lived a very sheltered existence, hence the sweeping assumption)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Nightwish wrote:
    (however I own 2 hair dryers but havent a clue how to use them).
    :eek:

I like letting my hair dry on its own when i dont want it straight though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

My ma taught me to iron as soon as I was old/smart enough not to burn myself with it.
    You are never too old to burn yourself.

All I ever really use is eye make-up, and very little of it, a tanning bed would most likely make me bacon, I only use my ghd for the day before I wash my hair, makes me look all different, also quite snazzy. I let my hair dry natural with some curling mousse which you just scrunch in.

I don't watch soap operas, don't talk beauty routines or clothes. The most I think my group of friends have talked about in that area was about how much some runners would cost, we ain't into shopping much.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

how the feck can someone not work a hairdryer?

2 steps: point & blow

ferdi wrote:
    Its a hair straightening one with a big contraption at one end which is meant to smooth out your hair as you dry it, but it didnt do that. All I got was a fuzzy looking head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Absolutley 100%. Post some pix of ur titz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Ironing can be masculine! You just gotta wear some chaps and a cowboy hat when you're doing it.

• Advertisement

rediguana wrote:
    Ironing can be masculine! You just gotta wear some chaps and a cowboy hat when you're doing it.

Underwater extreme ironing

Now that is manly.

Advertisement