Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help here - are we british?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

admiralgar wrote:
    i find the term very offensive

Why exactly?

What inside you finds it so offensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hagar wrote:
    The only time the term British may be correctly used to describe a person from Scotland, Wales or Nortern Ireland is when they win some sporting event or other World-side accolade. If they don't win they a revert to their alternate nationalities of Welsh, Scottish and Irish. The term Northern Irish is rarely heard or seen. It must be remembered at all times, win lose or draw an Englishman will always be an Englishman.

ten years ago that would have been true, these days though, I think you'll find it is the other way around.

All the pc brigade in the UK are so worried about offending the Scots, Welsh and Irish that they go too far the other way.

by the way, there was a poll carried out recently in which 52% of people in Scotland wanted Scottish independance from England.

59% of people polled in England wanted the same thing:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

The term United Kingdom refers to England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and The Faklands (I think). Whereas the term Great Britain refers to England, Scotland and Wales only. So officially were not British and neither are our Northern brethren. But don't tell Big Ian that:)

Trilla wrote:
    naa, i just wanted a thread to build up and show him.

Good job! While you're at it, you'll be showing him that you post on boards.ie while in work, so in the end he wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tell your boss he's a nut...

And lets not get into the whole British Isles thing:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Your boss deserves a box for trying to stir up trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kilkenny

Trilla wrote:
    :D

okay I just wanted some nifty comments to throw back at my "i am always right" boss. I think "so the isle of man is in the Irish sea therefore its Irish, as the british isles is merely an archipelago" would do

I would be more inclined to go with "... so if living in the British Isles makes us British, does that mean everyone who lives on the Isle of Man is a man? ... everyone who lives on the Virgin Islands is a virgin? ... everyone who lives on Baptiste Island is a baptist?" etc. etc.

Above all, don't pay too much heed to the gobs**te ... some people would argue with their shoes about the colour of their socks.

Advertisement