Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another potential damaging storm Sat/Sun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yea i would say the Wicklow Mountain may effect the strength of the winds on some areas of Dublin in Phase 1 of the storm...;)

Still very windy here nonetheless.

Well land in general does effect the strenght of the wind.Even though a clear sight to my west with no mountains there is too much land which will cause friction and slow the strenght of the wind speed.Still be stronger than tonight with around a 50mph mark.Id be surprised if this was not reached tomorrow here.

Its a good SE or E wind brings us our higher maximum winds off a frictionless sea near the Dublin coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Glad to see you're on speaking terms again, Snowbie and Weathercheck. Any sign of a small handshake or it that pushing it. LOL

On the business side, its rough here in Mayo but not as bad as I was expecting, or maybe I'm a bit previous in saying that. Gusts about 50 MPH I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Avns1s wrote:
    Glad to see you're on speaking terms again, Snowbie and Weathercheck. Any sign of a small handshake or it that pushing it. LOL

On the business side, its rough here in Mayo but not as bad as I was expecting, or maybe I'm a bit previous in saying that. Gusts about 50 MPH I'd guess.

Mayo will bear the brunt of Phase 2 of the storm from around 9/10 am tomorrow! Don;t worry your time will come:D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Sorry, can't report from Clew Bay as I'm in Dublin for the weekend. Part of me wishes I were home to see the storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Sorry, can't report from Clew Bay as I'm in Dublin for the weekend. Part of me wishes I were home to see the storms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Not that bad here, it never really took off, mean falling now down to 11mph, top gust of 42mph so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Seems to be bad here in Waterford. A big tree has fallen up on the rockshire road. Watching the police and Fire department there now trying to figure out what to do. Also some site fences flying around the cork road area.

Dublin Airport must be in some sort of pot hole or something!
    LoL
    I see my weatherstation is still working,it's max gust so far was 49mph at 921pm.
    Tiz mad looking at that from this side of the atlantic!

Totally calm and sunny here in chicago by the way and it never got above freezing all day.
    The snow feels lovely and crunchy to walk on.

WC,It's fair when you post something to the web on a discussion forum that you should be prepared to discuss it Picking and choosing what you want to discuss is not right :)

As for the rest of ye(looking especially at Irish1 here),well its up to yourselves who you want to take advice from-nobodies infallable.
    I think its best to say thank you for peoples opinions and not to take them as anything other than an opinion thoughtfully constructed.

Now if ye will excuse me,I have a snowball fight to attend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think people shouldn't brag about having snow when the rest of us have rain and wind (looking especially at Tristrame) :D lol sorry couldn't resist.

Enjoy the snow and calm man because we got a wet and wild night here and I'm not talking about the GF :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Stokolan wrote:
    Seems to be bad here in Waterford. A big tree has fallen up on the rockshire road. Watching the police and Fire department there now trying to figure out what to do. Also some site fences flying around the cork road area.

Yeah its really bad here in Waterford. Have no way of measuring the gusts but went out in the garden a few mins ago and was nearly knocked off my feet by a few gusts :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

mickger wrote:
    Yeah its really bad here in Waterford. Have no way of measuring the gusts but went out in the garden a few mins ago and was nearly knocked off my feet by a few gusts :eek:

Yes vry bad here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

OK WHATS the story with the weather? I'm in Wexfrod and the wind and rain is CRAZZZY!! Are we going to be flooded again? just waiting for the power to go, going to stock up on the candles in the morn cos according to the forecast we are going to get gust of up to 140km! Will have to nail down the dog!

wexhun wrote:
    OK WHATS the story with the weather? I'm in Wexfrod and the wind and rain is CRAZZZY!! Are we going to be flooded again? just waiting for the power to go, going to stock up on the candles in the morn cos according to the forecast we are going to get gust of up to 140km! Will have to nail down the dog!
    Lol, nailing down the dog is always the top priority:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

very very windy and pissing down here in southeast kilkenny.
    i reckon wind is 40-50 mph.is it to get worse?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Only strong breezes here this evening so far. The LP in late September or early October (can't remember when) was worse as was the LP on this day last week. The trees right beside the house to the south are shielding us, but they're not swaying too much.

If the wind tomorrow is around WSW I will get the full brunt.

The Met latest reports are not really awe-inspiring. It seems the south coast is receiving by far the worst of it, along with the exposed parts of the west. The majority of stations are reporting below gale force 8.

The difference between Casement and Dublin Airport is interesting. 35 kts vs. 18 kts respectively.:eek:

Well I hope it deosn't get too mad in the midlands... (I'm working nights in Dublin)

The missus is in the mobile home (I just hope it isn't:() this will test the tie wires!

A bit worrying to say the least, May have to move into the house quicker..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Pressure falling like a rock over -3.0hpa an hour and wind picking back up here.Means are starting to come back up with gusts back in the late 20s mph.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

It is rough here as I type - wind has picked up in last few mins........

Defo has stepped up to the next level here in Waterford in the last 30 mins. Its rough out there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Actually logged in to report the lull in the wind and rain that has occurred for the last 20 mins or so, and wham , bam, it is back in full force again out there, although the rain isn't as persistent or consistent as predicted..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

omg, estofex have just released a level 2 red alert for ireland, i have never seen a level 2 for ireland ....ever, and it even talks about very good chance of tornadoes!!! if this comes off....:eek: heres the link, they even say they may release a level3 warning which is very rarely seen in europe.
    http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2006120406_200612030000_2_stormforecast.xml

'At this time, a low-level wind maximum of near 40 m/s at 850 hPa should cross Ireland simultaneously. Wind gusts of near that speed appear possible at the surface as well. Given that anticipated values of 0-1 km SRH around 300 m2/s2 are advertised by the 12Z GFS run, and the overall strong shear, it appears that a few tornadoes may occur as well. This will, however, strongly depend on the hard-to-forecast quantity of buoyancy in the lowest few kilometres of the troposphere. If tornadoes occur, the extreme low-level shear suggests that they may be strong, F2+.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nice squall line coming across Munster on the radar... hmmmm...

Bloody hell, i've never seen a level 2 over ireland or the UK and i've never ever seen a level 3 anywhere in Europe and they're talking about putting it over Ireland. can't wait for tomorrow morning:D, not saying tonight isn't interesting aswell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Amazing stuff. I imagine Earthman is kicking himself! In the USA - where tornados are commonplace, whilst Ireland is forecasted to get some!

That squall line passed over here, very windy with torrential rain lasting 10-15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

better put the batteries charging whilst i still have the electric so...
    Just pondering, but the most likely occurence of a tornado would be on flat ground... ie midlands, and not down around here? (i know they are very hard to predict, but just wondering what the chance of one forming are..)

marathon gas platform recorded 83mph wind and a light ship off cornwall recorded a 90mph gust which is above what was forecast:
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Danno wrote:
    Amazing stuff. I imagine Earthman is kicking himself! In the USA - where tornados are commonplace, whilst Ireland is forecasted to get some!

That squall line passed over here, very windy with torrential rain lasting 10-15 minutes.
    i
    NEVER seen an F2+ Warning for us. That US tornado belt stuff!!!

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    i
    NEVER seen an F2+ Warning for us. That US tornado belt stuff!!!

This is amazing stuff :eek: Never thought id see the day we would be getting this type of weather. But in the last 10mins it has calmed down alot here in Waterford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement