Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas Bonus / Holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm on the dole so 365 days a year off and free money and house horraaaaaaay

Seriously though I'm in a nice Finance/IT company here in galway and am getting a rather tasty 15% salary bonus paid on top of my wages for dec.
    I normally don't claim any rent relief until the final month either so I get as much of a tax break on it...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Working for a small software company.

Only have the 25-27th off and no bonus. Get a quarterly bonus anyway so not complaining.

Who cares anyway, am taking a wedge of next years holliers off at Christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I get Christmas day & Stephens day off and can use any holidays i've got around that time so i'm getting a week off in total.

Get a bonus every 3 months so i don't get a xmass one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i get xmas eve, xmas day and stephens day off with a weeks pay as bonus so im happy, also new years eve and day off

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Generally (but not always :mad: ) get the rest of Christmas Week off, but it comes out of annual holidays :( , so you can't use those 2 or 3 days at other times of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I work with with a radio station so we don't close down at all.
    I'm the same, in a TV station though. I'm working Christmas Day and Stephen's Day this year, because I need New Year's off for a wedding. I'm being compensated reasonably well though, and offering to work Christmas always goes down well with the managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I work in financial services. Get 25 days holidays a year.

We get three days off at Christmas - this year it's 25th, 26th and 27th. We finish up on 22 December as it's a Friday. Back to work on 28 December.

However I have five days holidays left to take. So I have decided to take the week before Christmas off - so I finish up on 15 December. Which isn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I work for Dunnes Stores and i get xmas day and stephens day off and also get a bouns the week before xmas week and a double weeks wages xmas week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I left work 4 weeks ago. Moved across the world. Don't plan on working until the new year. Flying to Perth for christmas and new year. First time in 6 years I will not be working from Dec 26th - Jan 2nd. Woohoo :D

edit:wrong date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

stephen p wrote:
    I'm off from the 22nd Dec. till the 2nd Jan.

No bonus!!

Same here.

I don't mind the lack of a bonus though, the 10 paid days for christmas, the 27 days annual leave and the 4 extra flexi days a year make up for it. Not to mention the pay increments....3% in December :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Steyr wrote:
    I work for Dunnes Stores and i get xmas day and stephens day off and also get a bouns the week before xmas week and a double weeks wages xmas week

I also work there, ( dublin brach) and Get the same

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm a student so I only work part-time but I'll end up with loads of hours around Christmas/New Year. Only had Christmas Day and Stephen's Day off last year. I don't particularly like Christmas time so I'd rather work through it anyway.

Due my bonus shortly I believe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

What's a Christmas bonus? What are you all talking about? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Steyr wrote:
    Sign me up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

We have more of a 'bone-us' relationship with our employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I work in the BIGGEST retailer in Ireland (AFAIK :P)

2 weeks xmas bonus in about 2 weeks.
    paid day off on Xmas, Stephens' Day, the 27th, and New Years Day.
    27th is what I like to refer to as 'Bribery day', we get Double-Time if we work the day, in addition to getting paid anyways.

Not too bad i can tell ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

bluewolf wrote:
    Sign me up...
    You might want to think long and hard about that one.

speaking of long and hard, that particular employer are well known for shafting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Work in the media, 25th-27th off, e100 bonus (used to be IR£100)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

we get xmas day & stephens day off and then have the option of taking the 3 days between xmas and new years out of our annual leave once we arrange to have skeleton staff on. We get no bonus - we get a party with a few free drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Working for an US IT company.

Usually we get the 24th, 25th, 26th, 31st and 01st of january off... as two of them fall on a sunday this year they gave us an extra day, free to take whenever needed.

If someone decides to work any of these days, then we get tripple pay and two extra days off. That's why I volunteered to work on the 26th and 01st. :D

We also got a tasty bonus (almost 20% of my annual salary) with the november salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

the reason why i originally emphasised the fact of the size / wealth of the company was to stress the stingeyness of it

i think everyone replying with 'i work for the biggest etc' is a bit strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

Where I work stays open 24/7 no matter what comes along. Holidays are for the weak:
    I'll keep it short and sweet. Family, religion, friendship. These
    are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.
    When opportunity knocks, you don't want to be driving to a maternity
    hospital or sitting in some phony-baloney church.
    Or synagogue.
    Boss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'm off 21st - 2nd and I will get a fair few quid into my hand :)

Its a small enough company, small enough to know who works and who doesn't so the bonuses reflect that.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

It's my first Christmas in my current job so I'm not sure about a Christmas bonus, but we work a half day on the 23rd, and we're back in on the 27th I think. Doesn't bother me, really. I'd rather be working than be sat at home adding to my already over sized waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

2 week's wages as a bonus (take home approx half that, thanks Mr. Taxman :mad: ) and off Christmas Day and Stephen's Day, back to work as normal on the 27th.
    The good thing this year is Christmas Eve is on a Sunday so treble time for whatever hours I work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I work for a heartless, bloodthirsty British high-street store, which makes most of its money at Christmas. Christmas is the worst time of year for its staff, as we get abused, shouted at etc. We get 2 days off and we get our basic pay (your weekly contracted hours) as a bonus, which is sh*tty seeing as 90% of the staff are on 6 hour a week contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I work for the BIGGEST Irish Bank and we get the 25th -27th off and the 1st and 2nd (I think maybe the 3rd too). So put that in ur pipe and smoke it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Ahhh yes I miss being a student, until I think about all that filthy money im earning! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

will you deposit some in my account??

im off from 22nd to the 3rd....

Bonus??? are ye having a laugh?

Last year i was getting the 25th and 26th off and because it was in galway i would spend ten hours of that travelling......so i told them to stick it! :D

Advertisement