Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas Bonus / Holidays

Options
  • 29-11-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Do you get a xmas bonus? How long do you get off for xmas?

I work for one of the biggest, richest software companies in the world and we get Christmas day and St. Stephens day off for xmas and that is it, we dont get a bonus either.

Oh and we work 12 hour shifts all the way up to Friday before new years - if new years fell on a week day we would be here till 10pm or so too.

How crap is that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Why do you think they are so big and rich?

Because you guys are working all the time!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead works for the richest Software Company in the world. And we're working St Stephens day! Guess thats why they're the richest!

Oh and our bonus for working all these unsociable hours? 5 days holidays for next year. Amazing incentive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Wow.. that sucks :o I used to work for a fairly big finance company, I was only there for one Xmas (thank God) and it was the same, no bonus, and only Xmas and Stephen's Day off, and worked until clocking off time on New Years Eve, very depressing.. I work for a much smaller company now and we do get a fairly decent bonus and we have from the 22nd Dec until the 3rd of Jan off.... Those big companies seem to be very stingy..

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I work for a big (non irish) bank and we get 25th (xmas day), 26th (stephens day) and 27th (a ban bank holiday, happy days) off as well as new years day.

Then again I do get 28 days hols per year too so it's not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

In my first job we got Christmas Day and Stephen's Day off and that was it. No bonus either, however we did get tons of presents/ bribes from suppliers so that did make up for it a little.
    The last few years have been spent working in hospitals and you gotta love the civil service, this year I finish up on the 22nd (not working) and arrive back on January 2nd, between bank holidays, privilage days and flexi leave I only have to take one annual leave day to have this much time off. :D No bonus but I'd much rather the time off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Working for the (NOW) largest I.T. company on the planet. Got a generous Xmas bonus and have nearly 2 weeks off for Xmas. Can't complain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Working in retail so I'll just have the 25th and 26th off as well as new year's day. I get a bonus of a week's wages which is pretty decent considering they are a retail store. Crappily I'll probably only get bottles of wine from suppliers!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Working in IT so naturally we get the 25th and 26th off and no bonus. Fingers crossed and we may get one additional day but nothing guaranteed. Bah humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I work for THE BIGGEST (:p )international property agents based in Ireland, and we're off from the 22nd till the 3rd. No bonus but I'm on commission so.. bleugh!

The last place I worked in weren't going to pay employees before Christmass ie. we'd get paid on the 31st as per usual, which was a whole load of ass!!

So then on the 21st Dec they decided to pay everyone on the 23rd, which was grand, except it was a UK based company so it took the usual 5-6 days to transfer the money over to my bank account in Ireland. That was a lean Christmass I tell thee :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Working for the BIGGEST(mines bigger than everyone's!:)) pharm. services provider in the world, and we get three days off, no bonus.

Most save up some of their annual leave for a few more days off at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I work for prob the smallest (extremly assured of my manhood:p ) company in the south east and we get from the 21st till the 8th of jan off and a small bonus but its a bonus all the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm working for a small, Irish, non-evil software company. We're getting over a week off. Hurray! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I work for the biggest accountancy firm in the world, and I get a mandatory days' holidays (from my annual leave) on the 27th and no Christmas bonus.

I'm not really bitter. If a Chrimbo bonus was a major factor, I wouldn't have come back here.

In reality, you'll find that smaller companies are better for Christmas bonusses.

Take a large company with 1,000 employees, earning on average €2000/month. To pay everyone an extra month's wages at Christmas would cost the company €2,000,000, at a time which may be the slowest/quietest month of the year for the company. Even an extra €500 each would cost half a million.

Smaller companies on the other hand, (say with 10 employees) may factor the Christmas period into their accounts, and set aside €20,000 to pay out bonusses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Christmas Bonus?

LOL

my extra money this Christmas will be the result of over time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I work for the biggest bank in the country, and get Xmas Day, Stephen's Day, the following day, and New Years Day off by default. The working hours are fairly relaxed around Christmas and New Years aswell. No Christmas bonus, but we get our bonus a couple of months after. There's no problem taking extra days off either.. if we want them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I get a bonus (first year it was great, second year they gave a bit in the summer and a bit at christmas this year I dont know what will happen) and we get christmas week off out of out AL.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I get a bonus (first year it was great, second year they gave a bit in the summer and a bit at christmas this year I dont know what will happen) and we get christmas week off out of our AL.

I work for a small engineering company

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Im off from the 22nd to the 2nd. Dont get an xmas bonus but I do get a bonus in January, im only here a few months so I wont get as much as every one else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

ixoy wrote:
    Working in IT so naturally we get the 25th and 26th off and no bonus. Fingers crossed and we may get one additional day but nothing guaranteed. Bah humbug.
    same here, i mean who is going to be looking for insurance on the 27th of december so thats sales out and management out the only necessary part of an insurance company then may be the claims department, so let us work from home to support the skeleton crew, we can go in if we're needed, but no have to go in and twiddle my thumbs from 7-7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I work for the biggest Local Authority in Ireland and I'm off from the 22nd Dec. till the 2nd Jan., but I'm taking the first 2 weeks in Jan. off. Happy Days!!!! :D

No bonus!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

fingal coco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

fingal coco?

DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You'd swear they are giving people paid days off for free. I would prefer to have no holidays except for the ones I apply for myself, and of course the public holidays I am entitled to. I am sure most moaning are being paid more for working on any of the public holidays around christmas or getting some other incentive. I would not like to work in some other country where my employers were a different religion to me, and forced me to take 5 days off in september which fell on their religious festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I work for a fairly well known Irish company, we get 2 weeks off (payed) and€200 - €400 worth of dunnes stores vouchers. The last two or three days before we leave we do fup all and the last day we have a piss up in the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Work for a subsidiary of a semi state body we get 24 25 26 off and they class our christmas party as our bonus.

Its not a bonus I dont want to see the people I work with when i dont have to. Humbug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭b0bbie

I hear you I work for a company that had a profit last year of close to 1 billion euros. I will be working up to 17.00 on the 22nd. I get the 3 banks hols off and I'm back to work on the 28th and 29th. I get no bonus and the best bit is I'm oncall the whole time i'm off, so may have to go to work on those days including Xmas day. So i'm not meant to drink and also meant to be within an hours commute to the office.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

I work for the smallest tour operator in the world. We get a christmas bonus and the company closes between christmas and 4th of January. They take
    5 days out of our holidays for that which stinks cause we only get 20 holidays!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bank holiday in Ireland on the 27th?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I work with with a radio station so we don't close down at all.

I usually come in and help look after things on Xmas day as I have nothing better to do... don't get paid for it though.

I might actually put out a show this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Mossy Monk wrote:
    bank holiday in Ireland on the 27th?

unofficial - bank employees get it off as a result of some strike years ago.
    only xmas day, stephens day and new years day are official hols.

we're closed from the 22nd to the 2nd but the 3 working days come out of my hols. In my previous job I used to go in the odd day over xmas but it would be dead and we'd spend the time watching films.

Advertisement