Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the Goverment run background checks on non-nationals?

Options
  • 26-11-2006 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Before any sparks start flying, I am married to a non-national.

Considering there are hundreds of thousands of non-nationals living in Ireland, both immirant workers and asylum seekers, I was just wondering if the government ran background checks on immigrants arriving in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I wouldn't think so, although I'm sure in the case of asylum seekers, they would have to be looked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pretty sure they don't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not sure. But many corporations do should you seek employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ziggy67 wrote:
    Your married to someone with no nationality?? Strange.

you are hillarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if i was in the UK i would be a non national. jesus, it's not an insult

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I HATE the term 'non national' as well, it's really grating. I've never heard it used anywhere but in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    I HATE the term 'non national' as well, it's really grating. I've never heard it used anywhere but in Ireland.

Every country has words that are only used there. Local versions or saying exist everywhere.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

ziggy67 wrote:
    No you wouldn't you would be Irish or foreign.

Or he would be a non-national of the country he was in. Just another way of saying it. And I've heard it said in England a couple of times too, not just here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Toss them all out, coming over here taking all the jobs and the women. Effing australians. *Shakes fist and takes another swig*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

I think they should all be screened.
    With the huge influx of eastern europeans here since enlargement i think it should be mandatory that they be at least checked for criminal convictions. We have enough scum on our streets not to mind importing more.

T.Sc.

Can they be refused entry if they are found to have a criminal conviction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If your wife has been to the GNIB and has an ID card then yes they have run background checks. It's generally to check to see what criminal record they have or if they are wanted.

If they are EU members then probably no.
    Can they be refused entry if they are found to have a criminal conviction ?

It depends a lot on the criminal conviction afair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

No, I very much doubt they do check peoples backgrounds (EU anyway) and I hate to think of the sheer volume of criminals/scum we've let into this country as a result.

this 'Admit all' policy is a joke. The UK put measures in to stop this in 04 and as far as i'm aware Ireland Sweden and Austria are the only countries that allow 100% free movement of people within the EU, no questions asked.

I agree, it is an absolute joke.
    I seen 2 eastern europeans last saturday begging on a bridge in cork. I mean wtf like? Can they not do that on the streets of Krakow, Tallin or Villnus?

Lol, what about the Romanian who used to (she wasn't there last time I was down anyway) sit with her amputated foot foot out in clear view begging on Patrick St. ?!

I'm sure they can, but as Ireland is one of the best off countries in Europe, they'll make more begging here...the f*cking sponges.

I know what you mean though, I've absolutely no problem with them coming over as long as they're going to work, we don't need any more beggers/homeless on our streets. We also don't need any more drug dealers, gangs etc. in this country but yet we're allowing more and more to waltz through our borders day in day out.

At least the EU has is going to put restrictions on Romanian emigration when they receive their EU membership :)
    I'm sure there are lovely Romanians, but the vast majority that I've come across in Ireland, England, Greece etc. have been beggers or criminals, God only knows what would happen if they were allowed complete freedom into any country in Europe!
    I frowned in their general direction.

T.Sc.

As do I :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I think they should all be screened.
    With the huge influx of eastern europeans here since enlargement i think it should be mandatory that they be at least checked for criminal convictions. We have enough scum on our streets not to mind importing more.

T.Sc.

I don't know if that was sarcasm but I totally agree with this statement. Not just convictions but health checks too. Not just for Eastern Europeans, there are many Africans thats need to be checked too.

What I'd love to know is since when did Ireland become the "nearest safe country" to those seeking asylum here. We're a good distance from Africa, Afghanistan etc., yet we've thousands claiming asylum here...
    Lil Kitten wrote:
    Not just convictions but health checks too. Not just for Eastern Europeans, there are many Africans thats need to be checked too.

Well, this is true to an extent. I mean, you never know what people are carrying in and out of a country. That said, what would you recommend they screen for? Hiv/Aids? If so, do you think people should be refused entry to a country specifically because they're infected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

To become an Irish citizen your criminal records will be checked. However, to suggest that everyone coming into the state, especially from places like Eastern Europe, should be given a backfround check is absolutely ludicrous. There are something in the region of a quarter of a million Poles here alone. Get real.

It would be foolish to think that anyone wants criminals coming in to Ireland, but you have to accept it is inevitable. It's either that or close off the borders entirely. Sieving out the entire immigrant population is unenforcable.

The next best thing to do is provide a capable, vigilant, hardworking, resourced Garda force, and that is where our intentions should lie, not in some rdiculous overambitious 'screening' policy that belongs in cloud cuckoo land, to be honest.

InFront wrote:
    The next best thing to do is provide a capable, vigilant, hardworking, resourced Garda force,

Hardworking Gardaí?! It'll be years before the Gardaí can be described in such a way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Lets stick to the topic please. This is not about the amount of immigrants who seem to be involved in crime. I'm not going to let this turn into another immigrant bashing thread. Lets not start, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

and it's not like ireland never exported criminal scum....

god no, we went out and built railways!

there isn't a single scumbag irish coke dealer on the lam in spain or england...

the drive by shooting and the car bomb weren't clever irish innovations in prohibition era america either...

every single emigrant we ever sent out was a god fearing catholic with a spotless record - and all the ones sent to australia really needed the loaves of bread they robbed to feed their 12 children...

you people really make me laugh!

and it's not like ireland never exported criminal scum....

god no, we went out and built railways!

there isn't a single scumbag irish coke dealer on the lam in spain or england...

the drive by shooting and the car bomb weren't clever irish innovations in prohibition era america either...

every single emigrant we ever sent out was a god fearing catholic with a spotless record - and all the ones sent to australia really needed the loaves of bread they robbed to feed their 12 children...

you people really make me laugh!
    Pffft, and I thought the PC brigade took the weekend off...
    I would love to be proven wrong but i think its imminent that the newspaper headlines in the future will be about Polish & Slovak Gangland crime and mini mafia's rather than Dublin/Limerick/Cork gangland crime.

Aye, its only a matter of time. I'll look forward to being able to say "I told you so" to those who doubted it though :)
    Ruu wrote:
    Lets stick to the topic please. This is not about the amount of immigrants who seem to be involved in crime. I'm not going to let this turn into another immigrant bashing thread. Lets not start, eh?

Aye.

On topic: I would sincerely hope that "asylum" seekers are screened, though I doubt its very thorough. That said, when criminals want to enter a country, they're going to do it somehow be it with fake passports/other documents etc. making background checks somewhat more difficult.
    That said, again, since when is Ireland the "nearest safe country" to these countries we're getting "asylum" seekers from?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    I think Foreigner or Auslander sound harsher than non-national. What is the PC term, non-Irish, guest worker, guest resident...

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote:
    I think Foreigner or Auslander sound harsher than non-national. What is the PC term, non-Irish, guest worker, guest resident...
    Don't ask Michael Richards anyway...

Advertisement