Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs Youre Starting To Get Old

Options
13»

Comments

nah! sorry i feel about 5 year's in this thread

c'mon people start posting your age so I can mock you

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

23, i guess i haven't hit the mid 20's yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

hmmm when I found myself wondering if defined benifit or defined contribution pension was better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

i will consider myself old only when i start farting dust ... on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Foreign Boyfriend/Girlfriend.

Classic sign that you're getting old. Trade in the reliable but boring Paddy or Sheila and get yourself a souped up younger Pierre or Frieda. The Exchange of money is usually involved to achieve this goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pighead wrote:
    Foreign Boyfriend/Girlfriend.

Classic sign that you're getting old. Trade in the reliable but boring Paddy or Sheila and get yourself a souped up younger Pierre or Frieda. The Exchange of money is usually involved to achieve this goal.

Or in your case, that Brazilian bird of yours Pighead, Janaína. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Signs you are starting to get old

Vultures circling overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

When you go to the doctor for a prescription to shift that chesty cough, and he says: "Hmmmmm... so have you considered having children?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Pikasso wrote:
    I really start to feel old when I tell my kids that when I was their age we had ...

No mobile phones

No cordless telephones

Only one channel (RTE)

No TV remote control (I suppose we didn't really need it)

No home computer

No Playstation etc

No www

No texts, email, instant messaging, Bebo etc

No microwaves

No CD's, mp3's

No Laser cards

No bar codes

No Irish motorways

No Lotto

No Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, PC World, Atlantic Homecare, Dominoes Pizza, etc etc

Also...

You could get slapped in school.

Women had to leave the civil service if they got married.

You were really rich if you went beyond England on holidays.

If you said 'cool' you were a twerp who was trying to sound American.

If your Mum said 'Shift yourself' you didn't find it funny.

If someone said 'You're sad' it meant you were crying.

An Air Hostess was a really glamorous job.

To be a millionaire was beyond comprehension.

Brilliant post. The mention of bar codes reminds me of school - a distant memory. We actually learned about the idea of barcodes in school - they were on the products at that time (early 80's) but the Supermarkets hadn't the technology to read them.
    Also recall a long suffering biology teacher explaining that DNA would be a revolutionary science. (never invisaged at the time the number of hours I would spend glued to CSI).
    I was actually in college when Tom Garvan explained to us that the USSR was about to fragment - revolutionary ideas in1984. Just thinking - another sign you are old - you read 1984 when it was about the future!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Cans with ring pulls (proper "come apart and gash your hand" ones)
    Seeing old football matches where everyone's got way too tight shorts, and realising you saw it live, thought the players looked super cool, and you owned those shorts.
    Hating students. Thinking they're so cool and sussed, and really they're kids with too much money and free time, with f'ck all knowledge of music outside of Bloc Party and the Killers, and dress like f'cking tramps and whores. See. Thats getting old:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

When people your own age start talking about "young people" as if they were a different species:(

Sometimes I think they are!... Feckin' youngsters!

What about when you groan when bending over, despite not having any discomfort doing so?

I'm 30 in a weeks time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

My Mam always says to be its as old as you allow yourself to feel! Shes been to electric picnic this year, scissor sisters last week and is off to basement jaxx tonight. She brought me to see Faithless there when I was 16 a few years back.

I feel old, even though I knwo Im not, when I go past my local off licence and tweenagers aske me to buy drink for them.

Advertisement