Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the biggest con you've pulled?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

paddy irishman are you making this up?! it's hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Paddy, thats genius. Unreal

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I pulled a con with my 3 bro's before. We were all going to get a nice present for our dad's 50th birthday but we wanted it to be a memoriable gift, something our dad would look at and remember the story of how he got it and laugh.

Just to state, we didnt actually steal anything. We just used abit of 'social engineering' to get people to do what we wanted :D.

So we were all in town and the lame idea's were coming out about what to get for our dad. Power tool's. Some PC equipment. A Digital camera. A new TV. A collection of DVD's music. A nice collection of cloths, suit, swanky trench coat, gloves, hat etc. We didnt think much of any of the idea's really until we all got to thinking about our dad's nick name, Delboy. Now ye of course this is already a famous name from the show but that's the whole reason we called him it, cus he was a bit of a wheeler, dealer and geezer :D.

So now we had our plan, we would have to do something Delboy would do to get a present. Got us thinking. In Only fools and horses the Delboy hit it big when an old pocket watch was discovered which they thought was worth nothing turned out to be some ultra rare watch worth millions and they had it for years and never knew. Now we had what to get him. It wasnt about the cost. Lets face it, a pocket watch isnt very expensive.

At this point we had our plan and are target. Now we needed a mark. We did a little window shopping around town and found our two marks.

The first mark was a shop in town I wont name for obvious reasons. It had a great selection of Gold chains, fairly pricey as well. So anyway I went in a did a quick scan of the chains and picked the one we wanted first. Now we had to come up with a plan. My older brother is abit of a flash harry. he is usually in a suit, or at least a smart jacket and pants all the time etc. He was quite well dressed that morning and so to me and my brother in our jeans and t-shirts looked like a business man really. We had our lead Confidence player, now we needed a Shill*.

A Shill is somebody who try to encourage the mark by pretending to believe the trickster. This Shill wouldnt have a clue he was actually being a Shill as it turned out. We were looking for a Japanese guy, about 40ish, with a proud look, dressed fairly smart. What we found was a Japanese guy, about 30, with loads of spots and goin bald, dressed in what we could only describe as the worst golfing outfit every and the biggest digital camera you could possibly buy. Anyway, my Flashy older brother actually knew very very basic Japanese, he took it up to be flash and ended up not going to more than 10 classes basically but he's a smart fella so he remembered quite abit it turned out.

The Plan was to ask this poor Japanese tourist to come into the shop we wanted to get this cool gold chain from. He would go in with my Older brother dressed in the nice business suit and my brother would show him around. This was an irish tradition and my brother just happened to be fascinated with the gold chains they had in the shop. My brother would then bring in this Japanese guy, walk over to the counter and make it seem that this japanese guy was a big shot japanese top executive, on a holiday in ireland but still had an interest in doing business. My brother would be his personal assistant. Spewing out basic badly pronounced Japanese to this guy and pretend to be translating what the Very important japanse company president was saying. We were counting on nobody knowing japanese and the shop to over look the fact this guy was so badly dressed it would make santa go red on christmas day. What my brother would be 'translating' is that the Company Director like these chains and thinks he could sell them back in japan but would of course, need a sample before he could 'sell' them. Our hope to get them to voluntarily give us the chain as a gift :D.

The next part of the plan was to make this japanese Director look like, although he dressed like crap, he still spent big. No problem there. We were in town near a top hotel. We rang up a limo service and put a fake order in for somebody staying at the hotel, easily done, and then had them pull up outside this shop. As soon as the limo appeared, my brother and the Japanese guy would appear from behind it and walk into the shop, instant presence. Obviously with 3 of us, we could time this quite well. We then all went to the bank and took out 500 euro in 20's each. This money was going to be blatantly stuffed into the Jap guys bag by my brother just before they got into the shop, he told him it was an Irish good look tradition, a mini-pot of gold haha. And that he could not give it back until my brother said lephrachan, which funnily the jap guy knew in english...

So the limo pulled up and my brother had just conviced the Jap guy to go into this shop. Like 'clock' work they appeared from behind the Limo and walked into the shop. Everybody in the shop was looking at my bro and the Jap guy while thinking " Who the hell is this guy and that irish lad?" My brother ushered the Jap straight over to the gold chain counter. While walking towards it, the Jap guy was so over the moon to go on an adventure he was snapping pictures every 2 or 3 seconds with his HUGE camera. Me and my other brother outside were thinking, oh man there never gonna believe this.

Anyway, my brother eventually makes it over to the counter with this Jap guy and as soon as he gets to the desk, what we could only describe as the manager, pushed the sales assistant out of the way and stood in her place smilin really widely at my brother and the jap guy. We couldnt believe it, they were only in the door and the suckers were falling for it but we didnt count our chickens of course.

My brother got the counter, with his hands together in front of him, bowed his head and introduced this guy as.... You'll have to ask him, he still changes the name he says everytime we tell the story and each time it gets funnier I swear :D. The Manager gives this lame, ass sucked bow and says how he is delighted that such an important man has come into his store and is there anything he can help him with. The Japanese guy is standing at the counter with my brother and snaps a pic right in this managers face. We were in stiches outside, dunno how anybody kept a straight face. So my brother goes on to give this bull**** story about how He is a very important director taking his 3 days holiday a year to see ireland haha, probably takes 3 days to go from japan to Ireland and back again :D!

The manager is lapping this up because he must smell money. Why you ask? Because while my brother was telling the manager about the Director's trip, he mentioned jokinly that he wants to see a 'lephrachan' of course ;). So the Jap guy as quick as a flash, takes out this wad of 20's and slams it on the counter while saying take it to my brother in Japanese. My brother turns to the manager and then proceed's to tell him that The most estimeed and honourable director has seen this Gold necklace < pointing at it> and thinks he can sell 1,000's upon 1,000's of them in Japan. That the Director wants to buy one right now and that he is willing to buy 100,000 of them every year as it's a geninue irish necklace and that would sell in Japan.

The Manager is so excited that he thinks he has found his own little pot of gold. he had the biggest smile on his face and started actually bowing. he hadnt even spoke. He then says " Oh it would be our "Shops" greatest pleasure to supply your great company but I wonder would the Director please accept this Chain as a gift from our most humble shop to your most excellent Company. He can use it to show to the Board of Directors when he returns to Japan and use it to show our appreciation for the business." I dont know how my brother didnt laugh in his face. My brother nodded and then turned to the Jap guy and said in Japanese " This man says you are very handsome and seem to have a large penis". The Jap guy started roaring out laughing, probably at the pronounciation, if thats what he even said I dont know. The Jap guy is laughing his heart out and grabs the hand of the manager behind the counter while shaking. My brother solemly says " He accepts." My brother picked up the money off the table and the gold chain was put into his hand as a gift. They both then bowed and walked out of the shop. All 3 of us brought the Jap guy for a guiness in an early house and got him a nice slap up lunch as well, he laughed alot, was damn funny he didnt have a word of english :D.

That was part 1 of our Con. We had the Chain. Now we needed the watch.

Where's the challenge button? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Paddy have you been watching a bit much of "The Real Hustle"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

While away on a weekend with our basketball team myself and a friend decided to play a trick on 2 teammates.

What we needed:
    Small bottle of coke
    Double choc chip cookies
    Stink bomb

So the whole team is in these 2 lads' room. My mate goes into the toilet in the room and proceeds to act out our cunning plan. He chews a couple of cookies and plasters them all over the toilet bowl and seat and even the cistern (sp), then pours coke down the jacks. Unfortunately we didn't get the stink bomb but we made it look like one of the lad's had explosive pooping disease :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I think that's very offensive to people like myself who actually have explosive sh**ing disease! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

/snip

Roffle, excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Muzzy wrote:
    Worked in bars for nearly six years and loved it but I always hated working for private parties, people would think that because they rented a room that they could act however well they pleased.

So, if a party consisted of muppets I would be working behind the bar and would take a Euro out of everyone's change from their round. Do it all night, it would build up into a couple hundred quid a night on top of my wages.

I'm not ashamed of it, only did it to ignorant muppets with no manners, I know that still doesn't make me right.

Problem with scamming a lot of people out of a little instead of a little people out of a lot is that if one of them notices it can be easily confirmed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Muzzy wrote:
    Worked in bars for nearly six years and loved it but I always hated working for private parties, people would think that because they rented a room that they could act however well they pleased.

So, if a party consisted of muppets I would be working behind the bar and would take a Euro out of everyone's change from their round. Do it all night, it would build up into a couple hundred quid a night on top of my wages.

I'm not ashamed of it, only did it to ignorant muppets with no manners, I know that still doesn't make me right.

"...we know where you live...." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I once availed of about 5 free rounds from the bar staff in a certain reputable bar on behalf of a certain reputable bank. Man, they were the most amazing pints I've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Paddy_Irishman

I'm not gonna bother trying prove the validity of this story. It's a family story we like to sit around and tell, thought I'd share it. I dont mind if you dont believe it or you do, once you have abit of craic reading it. Although I must say, the live version me and my 2 other brothers tell is better in the flesh .

So Picking up where we left off. The next part of "Operation Delboy" was to get a really classy watch to be put on this chain. As I said earlier, we had already scouted out the two shops we were going to chance our arm on. After lunch with the Jap guy and parting ways with a Slan leat and sainara respectively we headed on to part two of our sneaky snaky plan ;).

The next mark we found was a reasonably priced jewellerys that seemed to have a poor location, so it wasnt that crowded and business wasnt amazing. Exactly what we wanted. An attentive staff member and the smell of money. What all great con's feed on, greed.

Our plan was simple enough actually. Myself and my younger brother, were going to go into this shop and act like the biggest D4 plonkers on the planet. We were also going to constantly mention how we were Solicitors, just finishing our final year and what a memoriable year it was, drinking G and TNT's on daddys yacth in our recently accuired property in the bahama's. Your not anybody unless your in the Dominican republic and Im not talking about buying a few banana's Fintan :D! ( Just trying to convey how absolutely shocking irritating and annoying we acted, this was some of the **** we would actually spew out, trying to get some people in the mood, Ross O'Kelly is better at it but hey)

So we had our mark and The two lead Confidence men. Now we needed another Shill to really get the pot stirred up ;). We hoped to do exactly the same thing again but in a slighty different way to affect the result we wanted . All we wanted was the most shiny, tacky and expensive gold pocket watch they had, for free.

The shop had previously been scouted so we knew exactly what Pocket watch we wanted, how much it cost and where exactly it was in the shop, what shopping assistant was most likely going to be standing near it. Our Elder brother had already been in the shop and scoped the item and the lad out behind the counter.

Anyway, My self and my brother needed to find our Shill while our brother was scouting around the Shop. Our plan was to find a random person in the street, easy. Then to convice this random person that we wanted to play a practical joke on the shop we had targetted. The joke was lame by all accounts as we explained it but some people will do anything to get on TV, haha thats what they thought!

We found this lad, I'd describe him as about 20-ish, dressed fairly normal. Very ordinary. The reason we picked him? Well he was on the street with a Dictaphone, with a mic attached to it. Asking people what was there favorite radio station, I think it was 98fm he worked for, he didnt even get to ask us. We approached him straght away and said. " AH you work for the station dont you?" The poor lad looked like a lamped rabbit, you'd swear his boss had just come up to him in the street, he was pretty nervous and scared. He answered " Oh ye I do, sorry I dont think I've met you before...". We didnt let him finish his sentance. My brother pipped up "We were told we could find you here by Denis" I have no idea who dennis is and probably the poor lad didnt either but he quickly responded " Oh right, well Im kinda new there ..." We again didnt let him finish his sentance and now he had just given us an Ace. He was new, willing to do anything, eager, putty in our hands ;). So I then came in " Oh we all have to start some where lad, I had to sell big issue for a whole year before I got an opportunity like you are about to be given.........." I let it sink it that he might be getting a treat " You see, we needed somebody new, somebody fresh, that people havent seen before and we've been reading your CV, denis referred us. Im not gonna lie to you, were impressed and want to test you." The lad was over the moon, he was practially drooling on our shoe's and I bet if we told him to bark and fetch a Sunday Indo, he would have, in good time too. The lad was getting chocked up trying to get the words out " Oh my god, thank you so much, I knew somebody would recognise my talent and I'll do anything to make it!" Me and my brother looked at each other and sighed, this guy's abit of an ass, then again, so were we. We now had this guy panting like a dog so it was time to strike while the proverbal Iron was hot. My brother looked at me and said " Well it's your call". I faced the lad and said " Right, here's the deal. We need you to go into that shop over there < Pointing at the Jeweller's> and your going to help us make a practical joke. The lad jolted out this sentance so fast " Am I gonna be on TV?!?!". My brother almost lost it grabbed his mouth to stop from laughing saying " Well we think you've got 'IT'". I shook my head and continued " It's only a small thing but you've gotta make it look real or the rest of the joke will be useless. Are you up to it?" The lad was looking so intently into my eye's I nearly thought he was sweet on me, he answered "OH im a great actor dont worry, I am the man for you, just tell me what to do and I will ace it." I put my arm on his shoulder and contiuned " Excellent, right. We want you to go into that shop with your little dictaphone and go up to the lad behind the counter, he's the old guy, the rest are young, you'll see in straight away" We were counting on the Shop assistant our brother had fingered still standing behind that counter. " We want you to go up to this old guy and introduce your self as a jornalist from the sunday Independant, When he greet's you back, we want you to get straight to the point. That is, ask him Is it true that this shop is suppling the graduation gifts for the newly graduated Solicitor's rolling out of Trinity? Also, How did he feel about carrying on a 150 year old tradition in Dublin as it was the 150th anniverssary of the Law society section in Trinity and was a truely momentous occasion." The guy was looking dumbfounded at us, like we had just asked him to explain the Karma sutra to us in Mongolian. The lad looked at both of us and said " Can you write that down." We were sighing at first but then thought, oh a another prop! Great. So we went into one of those crappy pound shops and bought a fake looking parker pen and a note pad for €2 euro and gave it to him.

Now for a reality check. We were really being risky here. None of us brother's had a clue how old the law society in Trinity was, to be honest. We werent entirely sure if it was even called that. We were also hoping that this lad we were winding up, didnt know and even more importantly we were relying on the fact that the guy behind the counter in the shop didnt have a clue. It was a big risk. I think that's why we took it.

We werent finished with this lad yet by a long shot. After i handed the pen and pad to the lad I offered my hand and said " Your going to have to tell us your name if you want it to appear on the credits at the end of the show" said with a cheeky grin. The lad grabbed my hand and shook it like a person trying to make you actually wobble. He gave his name ,which I wont repeat, thats just nasty ;). He then asked our names as if he was a teenage girl asking for an autograph from a rockstart just off stage. My brother loves making up ridiculous names and so loved this, he answered " The names Roger, Roger phlames. That's with a PH. I know, unusual name, It's an anglo-saxon derivitive you see". I held that belly laugh in so hard, it was a good thing I was still wobbling from the hand shake the lad was giving me. I turned and said " And Im Verbal, Verbal Kent, kaiser everybody does." I thought it was quite fitting actually, I didnt have a gimpy leg though :D. We were well cheeky with this but the guy lapped it up. We werent finished yet thou, so I turned to this lad, we might as well call him Will'ing' I suppose. I said to him "Will, we have one more thing we need you to do." Will had just finished writing down this 'verbal diahorea' down and answered" No problem Kaiser, anything you want." I gave a little forced laugh and said " Will, could you get say 10 to 15 people together that you know and tell them to do something a little crazy but not actually tell them why there doing it?" Will was nodding" Ye no problem, my whole class is out and over there having a cof..." I butted in" Great will, what we want you to do is. Have them near this shop ready to help you when you come out. When you come out we want you to keep a look out for me and Roger heading into the shop. When the time is right, we want you to get your little gang and run up to the front door and window's of the shop looking in." Will looked confused " When will I know the right time?" My older brother came out of the shop after scouting it and me and my younger brother turned to the door and said " You see that guy in the suit?" Will nodded, my brother continued " Well when he picks up his phone and makes a call, thats the sign. Got it?" Will looked left and right and his two new bosses " No problem, you can count on me."

Everything was in place now. Will made started made his way over to a coffee shop where some of, what we assume, were his collage or worker mates were hanging out. he spoke to them for about 5 minutes and then came over to us again. He tried to look confident " Ok, It's all set and ready to roll." He seemed so serious, we were trying not to laugh in his face. We both nodded and then looked in the direction of the shop. Off Will went, with a spring in his step and a dictaphone in his hand :D. About 5 minutes later Will came out of the shop and came over to us. Will looked chuffed with him self, he went on" There done, that guy was really confused, it's going to be hilarious on TV and I.. " we again interupted the lad. " Great, great. Ok you head over to your mate's and watch for the signal." Will nodded and smiled. We had explained to our elder brother to watch us in the shop and then ring our house phone when we both turned around to face the door.

It was all in place. Me and my brother strolled up into the jewellery, talking very loudly roighte and like totally 'being' in control of the situation. As we walked into the Jeweller's we were talking in a very animated way, over emphasising everything. My brother started practically yelling " So we were 3 points down roight, with like .0001231 seconds left roight and then I made such a super tackle on this gombeen, he fumbled, I ****ing floored it with the ball and landed right under the big H. Try. 5 points. We win. You lose. It was spectacular. Oisinn said it was the best T he has seen since his last try and you know Oisinn, what a ****ing LEGEND!" As my brother was spuwing this crap out we made our way directly to the old sales assistant our brother had fingered. By now, everybody in the shop had there ear's abused by my brother's invasive tone and such bull****. The old sales assistant looked up at us, rather confused looking but he had made eye contact. We locked him down with it and went straight over to him, with a sort of 'talk to me right now' look :D.

The auld lad looked us both up and down and said "Gentlemen, Can I help you with something?" I looked at my brother and said just as my brother had finished telling his story " I'll 'field' this one shall I Aonad?" My brother 'retorted' " Oh go right ahead my good man, no better chap" While winking at the old lad. I launched into what would, on first hearing, a prepared speech " I am the President of the Law Society in Trinity and I am here on behalf of the soon to become newly appointed Solicitor's who are about to continue a tradition maintained in Ireland for One Hundred and Fifty years, throught the Great war of 1914, through the 1916 Rising, through World War 2 in 1939, through countless governments and a Crown monarchy.

I come to you good Sir. To make you part of that tradition. Alas, the jewellers we have used for such monumental events has closed and you have come highly recommended. We also did a little back ground on your shop and you too have a fine sense of Nobility and Tradition. In fact, the founding man of this shop was actually a Lord in England. A very powerful man that induced much change in both Irish and English history as you already know I am sure." This was totally bollox but everybody loves to be told how cool and pretty they are ;).

I continued, first clearing my throat. " First allow me to introduce my self. My name is Archibald Kensington the Third. And you are my good man?" I extended my hand as if it were a king's hand. The old buck still looked confused but it was like a little light bulb had switched on and he was starting to piece things together, the way we wanted him to of course ;). The auld lad put out his hand and shook my Kingly paw while saying " My names John Jones, a pleasure to meet you Mr Kensington. What can I do for such an esteemed and well spoken young man? I started tutting " No no, John my old boy. It is not what you can do for me, I am here to tell you what I can do for you. You see, as it is the 150th anniverssary, this event is of paramount important to the boffins back in the society. As you can imagine JJ we need to get a rather special gift." The old guy seemed to be really getting in the mood and had actually started trying to speak really clearly and pronounced as if he had dealt with upper crust before, he responded " You know, I had expected you. I had a reporter in here asking all about you and the anniversary coming up. Dont worry Mr Kensignton, I didnt say a thing." I smiled " Ah you are as cunning as the fox that got away from me last week on our hunt" My brother had to come in, he loves this kinda piss take."Oh Archy you almost had him, If only you'd have shot him when you had the chance in the open field. Your just such the sportsman, those other hunters told me your such a legend even the fox's know your name." I decided to get back on track as we were swerving way off and it was hurting my throat putting on this accent :D. I gave like a slight bow to 'Aonad' and then returned my gaze to Poor JJ as we were calling him now. "JJ I'm not going to waste any more of such lovely gentlemans time. I'll just come right out and tell you what I need. You look like a man of actions, not to mince your words lightly and only when you want to." JJ must of felt so warm and fuzzy inside because he kinda blushed :D! I continued" JJ I have been requested by the upper chamber of the interior Law denzien, to procure a gold pocket watch, with the facility to engrave a name on it." That just fell out of my mouth and seemed to roll off the tongue :D. I looked down at the jewellery cabinet and while pointing at exactly the watch we wanted I said "Just like that JJ, splendid example of a time piece dont you say?" JJ looked confused again, I bet the upper lower middle chamber of his brain was ready to pop at this point :D. He scooped out the watch and started telling us about it. I butt in again "Im sure it has impecable figure's and statistics JJ but I am on a purely asthetic 'trip' you see and this has deffinetly made me fall head over heels" I started chuckling at JJ to see what he'd do. JJ made a half hearted attempt to laugh at what can only be considered to be a gimpish thing to say. JJ then told us that it could easily be inscribbed with a name and that they do it here. I beamed with delight and started to express it "What magnificant news, Oh Aonad how lucky are we?" my brother now started to make his presence felt " Roight, thats a nice dazzling piece of bling there JJ. My names Aonad Eireann and I am the Treasurer of the Law society JJ and Im here to talk figures with you man. We need to work out how many yoyo's your going to make us fork out. Lets talk about bills man, hit me with some numbers." I pinched my self to make the laughter go away. JJ now turned his attention to my rugger bugger collage He said " Well its worth *** euro, with an extra ** * euro to engrave it" My brother picked back up " Im hearing you JJ. Thats some solid figures your spitting out to me. If I were to tell you that we have to get 97 of these, would that change the tone on your phone?" JJ's eyes opened and we looked down like he was trying to hide his giddyness "I could do you a deal I suppose lads, you both seem like to grand fella's and it is a special occasion after all." My brother took back up the good fight " Oh now your talking as gaelige to me man, I love it. Roight well if we could just have our sample we'll put this baby in front of the board and get it approved and the euron's in your hand JJ!" JJ looked confused, he then seemed to sour a little and said " Well thats fine but your going to have to buy this first. I cant just give out free stuff you know, It's a business." We had hit our first wall but we had prepared well for this ;). I ahemed and my brother backed off "JJ my good man, I didnt do accuary in Trinity, nor would I want to haw, but if you sell us 97 of these Time pieces you stand to make a formidable profit from it and also generate quite abit of positive publicity for the shop, would I be right?" JJ started looking confused again and answered slowly" ye...... thats true I suppose..." I came back at him again "I am not one to 'Judge' JJ but on a Saturday should your shop not have more than just two customers in it?" As I said this, myself and my brother both turned around from the counter looking around the shop for other customers trying to illistrate my point.

My Elder brother outside immeadiately took up his phone and rang our home phone to talk with our dad and tell him he can expect a good present. At this point Will the very dilligent employee we had saw this straight away and already had his friends rallied to help. They all started to make there way over to the shop front.

Me and my brother turned around back to poor JJ who was now starting to agree with us. I continued "While I would never ever mean to insinuate something malicious in anyway shape or form JJ. The media would most certainly find out about your refusal to facilitate us on this most prestiagous occasion. You said your self there was already a Jornalist here enquiring about our possible purchase." JJ looked a little pale now, as if he had never really had to make many tough decisions before and the spot light was now firmly on him. He was on the Cliff edge. Then at our most excellent moment with him, about 20 people formed outside the front of the shop acting as instructed by us via Will. Loud shouting, with Will shouting Sunday Independent was here first back off! Our little friend JJ had fallen off the cliff. He gulped and then said " Well since you put it like that sure. I tell you what, you can have this as a free gift. Now I dont want you think Im just giving you guys this as a bribe. It is a gesture of ***** jewellers towards your very important graduation." My brother and I had just landed our hook and were reeling away, I began heartly laughing "JJ you are the poet with your words and your actions bear justice to the proud traditions upheld here at **** jewellers." My brother came in with the fleeting lemon for JJ" Well that's a really fab gift you are giving us there JJ. I just want to remind you that just because you are giving us this as a gift we may not actually use this as the grad gift man. We dont believe in telling little fibs JJ, were like the pope, straight and we wont try fiddle with you. We are going to many other places to bring back other 'gifts' to the Upper chamber of the Interior Denzien . They pick with a vote and me and Archy here are only 2 paw's in that Kenel man, you see what I mean?" JJ was nodding while packing up the Watch "I understand completely, This is purely a gift. You are not obliged to actually come back and buy anything dont worry." Me and my bro were chuffed, the last shop hadnt actually said that, I wanted to reassure JJ anyway. I looked at JJ and said " Well I'll let you in on a little secret JJ, between you and me. I think this is the one to 'watch' haw haw." While winking at him. My brother actually did bust out laughing his ass off, as did JJ for some reason. JJ's actually seemed real 2. I couldnt blame him, it was so bad to churn out lines like that but fun as well. JJ winked back and said "Thats great to hear Mr Kensington". We were almost finished and ready to go but one thing was lacking. We wanted the watch engraved. So we went in for the last play.

As JJ was packing up the watch he actually turned to us and said" You said you wanted engravings didnt you?" We both nodded with great pleasure knowing we didnt have to say another word really. JJ took the watch out and said" Well what do you want on this one then?" I took up straight away and said" That's a delightful idea JJ. I wonder ...... No no... it's quite silly really" JJ almost leaned over the counter to me" What it is Mr Kensington, go ahead." I looked up from my shoe's as if embarassed to ask" Well you see, my mentor in the Society is also my godfather and he has had more cases than any Solicitor you could imagine and he took so many cases no matter who they were that he sort of became known as Delboy in the courts. Wheeling and deeling all the geezers coming up before the courts, making a few pounds off them you see. My problem is over the years I've spent at Trinity I have learned so much from him and yet there is nothing I can give him in return. I wonder could you put Delboy on the watch? I would be forever in your debt JJ." I swear JJ almost got a little tear in his eye, my bro denies it but Im pretty sure he did. he quietly said "You got it Archy". I smiled and shook his hand. JJ went off and began getting it engraved. My brother quickly ran to the front door and told Will and his mates to clear off. No point keeping up alll that racket when we had got what we needed.

About 10mintues later JJ returned with the watch set out in a perfect little box set which was a lovely wood container, blue velvet inside and showed us the engraving he had got done. We exchanged good byes and walked out of the shop. We spent the rest of the afternoon laughing about the whole thing and filling our brother in on our little performance.

When we got home that night, we took our dad out to the pub. got him a pint of Guiness and started the story from the start. It's still his favorite thing to do on his Birthday each year. Sit around and have us tell the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

That has to be the biggest load of bullsh*t I ever heard in my life PaddyIrishman, do you honestly expect anyone to believe any of it? Jesus you have an imagination like a child! you should become an author!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good read, doesn't matter if it is true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

I may have believed the first part, but after reading the second part, I think its a load of poo. Entertaining though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Entertaining read Paddy, the first part was at least a bit more believable than the second though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I just thought, 'Why are they pretending to be rb_ie and hullaballoo?' for the second part. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

You see, we needed somebody new, somebody fresh, that people havent seen before and we've been reading your CV, denis referred us
    After i handed the pen and pad to the lad I offered my hand and said " Your going to have to tell us your name if you want it to appear on the credits at the end of the show" said with a cheeky grin.

Its a funny CV that dosen't have a name on it! What a load of s**t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I just thought, 'Why are they pretending to be rb_ie and hullaballoo?' for the second part. :P
    haw haw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

My biggest con was convincing all the people at school that one of my friends had come out. It was hilarious cause no one would say anything to him because it was such a touchy subject and they were worried about offending him. Eventually i knew it had gone too far when one of his female friends said to me "I was always suspicious of him, but i'd never thought he would actually come out".

A laugh was had by all afterwards, no damage done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

nikolaitr wrote:
    My biggest con was convincing all the people at school that one of my friends had come out. It was hilarious cause no one would say anything to him because it was such a touchy subject and they were worried about offending him. Eventually i knew it had gone too far when one of his female friends said to me "I was always suspicious of him, but i'd never thought he would actually come out".

A laugh was had by all afterwards, no damage done

like all good friends do;) i also did that he wasnt too happy mind you:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Once my friend and i convinced a bunch of girls that we were hanging out with our 2 new friends Lee( the Australian surfer) and Alan (a French chef). My friend was pretending to be Lee and i was Alan, pretty cheesey french accent but it seemed to work.

All of this was being done over the mobile phone, had them really convinced that Lee and Alan actually existed, they even wanted to meet up.

Oh, those were the days .......... idiots.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

anto-t wrote:
    i con ed a huge sporting event into thinking that i wrote for a newspaper.... even tho i was 17 and dyslectic and could brealy write.... got loads of free stuff witch involved them putting me up in a hotel for 3 nights, media passes to all areas... a sticker for my car so i could park everywhere, meals.. and the rormal like pens paper maps etc etc and a few funny looks going into the media room after everyday.... going to do the same thing in the new year to get a full year media pass... witch works for most events....

Ledgened!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I just pulled the usual cons at school e.g. claiming that I'd already handed in an assignment and that the teacher must have lost it when I'd never done it at all. I also never did homework and had some story about a friend being sick and she was the reason why I had to take so many days off school. Oh and one detention I had to write out the school rules. I did it so fast that it was practically illegible. I stood at the front of the room with hands on hips insisting that they never said it had to be legible and then read them out to prove that at least I could read it. The teacher was so dumbfounded that he let me leave. Detention was meant to be two hours and I was out of there in 30 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

im(17) and in for school lunches everybody has an account with the company that provides the food or whatever to the school so that we just have to swipe a card to pay for the lunch, now some peoples parents pay for the lunches and give money cash in hand to the people at school(im one of these people) then some other people have it on their contract with their parents company(im livin abroad btw, relocation etc.) that the company pays for all lunches(my friend is one of these people).. now while my friend never actaully sees the money as the company wires it straight to the school lunch company and onto the card, I do, my mam gives me 60odd euro at the beginning of every month for my lunch.. the funny thing here is that my friends company puts ridiculous amounts of money on his card, more then he will ever need for lunches, but since he cant withdraw the money himself, i give him a 10er every 2 months to pay for all my lunches (hes happy with that since the money on his card has no use, so its basically like free money for him :p ) and i pocket the 50 left that my mam gave me... my parents lose no more money then they usually would, my friend loses no money at all only gains 10yoyos :P and only some billion dollar company loses a few extra bob that they already spent anyway so cant get it back :P

as for me, im getting 50euro for the school lunches, along with my weekly pocket money+phone credit money etc.. im gettin around 140 odd a month, considerin i have no job its not too bad :D especially when u live in china(thats where i am :) ) where everythin is dirt cheap, 140 gets me quite far :p

also lied on cv's n ****...deadly junior results etc :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Blagged our way back from Berlin to Dublin for a fiver about 12 years ago. It involved chemically treating biro written travel tickets and rewriting the destinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Back in 5th/6th year our school implemented a new detention system whereby if you get more than 3 detentions you'd get suspended for a period of 1 day for 1st time, 2 days for 2nd time and 3rd or more, 3 days.

I'd already got my first 3 day suspension and wasn't really in the mood for another 3 days off (:eek:) seeing as how I was set for another detention that week. So during one of my classes, I asked to go to the toilet. Went up to the staff room and knocked.......no answer........in I go to the staff room get the detention book and scribble out my name in the book and hurried back to class. Adrenalin was crazy and had I got caught I would've been even more screwed but I didn't.

No detention and no suspension the following week!!!!! :D

And before you ask, yes I am a ninja!!!!! :p

Advertisement