Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating a Garda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Gardai in Donegal dont have time for relations because they are too busy..................doing other things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I assumed this whole thread would be full of people saying that you couldn't do drugs and whatnot. I don't think I do anything too illegal, but I know people who just wouldn't want to hang around with gardaí.

Like Hector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

The "Gardai" are corrupt, opinionated and a real symbol of authority in this country a shame! Just like English v Irish fight tonight on RTE, Irish were the only ones booing the opponents anthem, sign of bias and lack of respect for onself.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It feels as if this thread has been done before - complete with the handcuff references too! Am I the only one who's experiencing a bit of deja vu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

muffler wrote:
    The Gardai in Donegal dont have time for relations because they are too busy..................doing other things

Yes the Gardai in Donegal are corrupt.. Sure why not extend that to every Garda in the North West of the country..
    upthere wrote:
    The "Gardai" are corrupt, opinionated and a real symbol of authority in this country a shame! Just like English v Irish fight tonight on RTE, Irish were the only ones booing the opponents anthem, sign of bias and lack of respect for onself.!

Ah the typical Irish reponse. The Gardai are opiniated, yes this is correct. However, they tend to have a considerably better understanding of what actually goes on in this country compared to the 28 year old tosser who sits on forums 7 days a week bitching about **** they know nothing about. Give it a fooking break will you. They are not all corrupt. A very small minority of them are.

A number of my friends are Gardai and every single one of them are hard workers who are passionate about tackling crime in this country. Unfortunately, as a force, they are under-funded, badly managed and constrained by the outdated and backward lawss that exist in this country. As a result, a portion of the force have effectively thrown in the towel after seeing hundreds of arrests dismissed by some dimwit judge and being unfairly criticised by the public they try their best to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

upthere wrote:
    It's a great marriage for a shallow Irish girl, "ah he's a fine gard, and Im a nurse sur and me father has land".
    Materialistic match, and the kids are always obnoxious and in the no name club and are always more popular than better lookin people.
    My sis is married to a garda, she's not shallow my dad doesn't have land and she doesn't have kids. They aren't matched materistically. so ...
    yer ma tbh

A number of my friends are Gardai and every single one of them are hard workers who are passionate about tackling crime in this country............ after seeing hundreds of arrests dismissed by some dimwit judge and being unfairly criticised by the public they try their best to protect.
    Yes I see what you mean alright :D - judge Brian Curtin springs to mind- the Gardai couldn't even read the time or date on the search warrant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

rb_ie wrote:
    It feels as if this thread has been done before - complete with the handcuff references too! Am I the only one who's experiencing a bit of deja vu?

It's After Hours. It's all been done before. Even this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

perks:

none really. u may get more respect from other gardai if they know u (unless u've broken a law and a serious one at that)
    when they go out, they have great craic
    members make great friends. most say that u will make friends for life no matter where they are stationed.
    brilliant medical cover, credit unions, insurance discounts etc.
    excellent personal protection

downside:

shift work which is not the worst,
    a garda who has difficulty dealing with a particular incident they witnessed such as a suicide, fatal traffic accident etc.
    idiots who slag u off cos u go out with a garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Has anyone going out with/married to/engaged to/previous going out with a garda?

Im curious to the perks or downsides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i smell bacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'd love to go out with a garda, the power!!!!!!
    And the uniform!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

Downside - - They're a guard, I wouldn't willingly talk to a guard never mind go out with one.

Breed of their own, let them keep to themselves I say, eventually they will all end up cross bred and that might neutralise the genetic mutation they've all already got! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BarryM3 wrote:
    Downside - - They're a guard, I wouldn't willingly talk to a guard never mind go out with one.

Breed of their own, let them keep to themselves I say, eventually they will all end up cross bred and that might neutralise the genetic mutation they've all already got!
    It seems that you are a bit crossbred yourself BarryM3. :rolleyes:

Cause I have an opinion that differs from yours and inject a bit of humour!!??

I have an opinion for a reason, I didn't wake up one day and dislike the guards...They(as a force) have given me plenty of cause to dislike them.

BarryM3 wrote:
    They(as a force) have given me plenty of cause to dislike them.
    I wonder why? :rolleyes:

I bet ya do....

Heres a quik synopsis.

Father car gets robbed, guards have to be told where it is - they tell us its in too dangerous an estate for them to retrieve, and they tell us that we could try get it ourselves!!

I go as a state witness to a Rd Traffic Accident against a complete scum bag... Said scumbag then beats me up in local shop, on camera - we furnish guards with the tape... still waiting to hear from them.

A couple of guys try robbing stuff from my quiet rural house, they get disturbed - we give guards the reg number - still waiting...

Couple this to me having the audasity to drive nice cars and suffer endless abuse by said gardai and you will get some of the answer to your question!!!

I've no problem with police forces, but whatever they teach the gardai in Templemore is damaging the force as a whole!!

SO DONT DATE ONE :):)

Anyway - this is going way off topic.. The OP asked a question and I'm giving my view...Apologioes that its not what some people migt like to hear.

BarryM3 wrote:
    they tell us its in too dangerous an estate for them to retrieve, and they tell us that we could try get it ourselves!
    I'm open to correction but when did the Gardai start to retrieve stolen cars? Would that not be a matter for an insurance company.
    I go as a state witness to a Rd Traffic Accident against a complete scum bag... Said scumbag then beats me up in local shop, on camera - we furnish guards with the tape... still waiting to hear from them.
    Fair enough but there may be more to it than that.
    they get disturbed - we give guards the reg number - still waiting...
    Getting a reg number doesn't necessarily mean anything. It could be a made up number or the car may have been stolen. If stolen, it will only give the Gardai the identity of the registered owner.
    Couple this to me having the audasity to drive nice cars and suffer endless abuse by said gardai
    Contravening various sections of the Road Traffic Act in the M3(?) :).
    I've no problem with police forces, but whatever they teach the gardai in Templemore is damaging the force as a whole!!
    In fairness Barry, you can't tar all the Gardai in the country with the same brush. I know lots of Gardai and I deal with many more through work. The vast majority are decent lads/ladies and always approachable. Even at checkpoints (which are a daily occurance in my area) I always find them to be polite and courteous. If I had to deal with the amount of skangers that they have to, I'd be much more disparaging.

• Advertisement

BarryM3 wrote:
    The OP asked a question and I'm giving my view...Apologioes that its not what some people migt like to hear.
    The OP asked if anyone had gone out with/is going out with/is married to/is engaged to etc. a Garda. He/she did not ask if a person should go out with a Garda. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

barry id agree with you on wat you have said - plus there's alot of corruption - the cops out my way ask for a grand to stop convictions going against you - it hasnt happend to me personally but i know of several of my bro's friends that this has happened to - sorry for going off topic but ill end it nw - DONT DATE A COPPER - THUGS AND CORRUPT ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I don't think this:
    Dutz wrote:
    i know of several of my bro's friends that this has happened to
    justifies this:
    DONT DATE A COPPER - THUGS AND CORRUPT ! ! !

Judge Judy would throw this one out ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Probably beside the point here, but I've never seen an unattractive female Garda. They all seem to be gorgeous! If you'll forgive me for making such a generalisation, but that is my own experience!

I'd hate to think garda would only really go out with other garda. That kind of exclusiveness (in any group of people) really pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

I wonder would your garda gf arrest you if you told her you smoke blow? Maybe if your lucky she could get you some on the cheap? Thats a pro I guess. You know if you were into that kind of thing. Not that I am you know, just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Never had a bad experience with a Garda.

Uncle is a Garda, used to work in bandit country. Soundest man you could ever meet. His eldest son is a Garda too, also dead on and lovely, soft spoken but firm. They know how to do their job and do it well. Friends have dated Gardaí, some were knobs, others were complete gentlemen - sounds on par with the rest of the population!

My wallet got stolen (on the bus, of all places) just under a year ago. I was stranded in town, nowhere to go, had just come up from home and hadn't got a red cent. Went into Pearse St. station and they sorted me out in a few minutes. (Was actually bawling my eyes out, like a complete tit, so much so that some guy even offered me €10 to get home, if you're out there dude, thanks a million for the offer, you're a gent.) Personally, never had a problem with the Gardaí. I think they get a really bad rap from some people, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 agonyaunt mar

all here who are against the forces will one day be inn some bother and who will they call 999

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you don’t like the police, try calling a hippie next time you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 englishineire

TheNog wrote:
    perks:

none really. u may get more respect from other gardai if they know u (unless u've broken a law and a serious one at that)
    when they go out, they have great craic
    members make great friends. most say that u will make friends for life no matter where they are stationed.
    brilliant medical cover, credit unions, insurance discounts etc.
    excellent personal protection

downside:

shift work which is not the worst,
    a garda who has difficulty dealing with a particular incident they witnessed such as a suicide, fatal traffic accident etc.
    idiots who slag u off cos u go out with a garda

Know a couple of gards meself.... other perks umm, free entry to clubs (they seem to like having gards in there), something about housing (preferable mortgage rate or something), and cheaper insurance (well defo in UK)....

downsides, no more than mentioned above really

• Advertisement

Dutz wrote:
    the cops out my way ask for a grand to stop convictions going against you - it hasnt happend to me personally but i know of several of my bro's friends that this has happened to
    It's strange how all these urban myths never happen to people personally but always their brothers friends etc. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: No one will take your point of view seriously if you post rubbish like that.

If my memory serves me correctly, one Garda in west Dublin was convicted of soliciting bribes (and several other things). If a nurse in a hospital is convicted of killing a patient, would you assume that all her colleagues in that hospital also try to kill patients. :rolleyes:

There certainly is a sucker born every minute!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement