Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating a Garda

Options
  • 10-11-2006 8:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone going out with/married to/engaged to/previous going out with a garda?

Im curious to the perks or downsides?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Handcuffs - Could be a perk, could be a downside! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It feels as if this thread has been done before - complete with the handcuff references too! Am I the only one who's experiencing a bit of deja vu?

It's After Hours. It's all been done before. Even this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

i've definetely heard that before ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yup - we have reason to believe that it won't be too long now before someone mentions "taking down your particulars" or your "nice baton".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Perks - no penalty points, if they are working in town, they can hail down taxis for you, can you it as a threat, i.e. my bf/gf is a garda, promote me or you will get a million penalty points...

Disadvantages....cant seen any!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Willy yer a Garda aren't you?

1huge1 wrote:
    i've definetely heard that before ^^

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

faceman wrote:
    Has anyone going out with/married to/engaged to/previous going out with a garda?

Are you thinking of starting to go out with a garda? Or a ban garda?
    Jump right in and let us know how it went.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I heard of someone who was going out with a office in the RUC who had to carry her gun with her at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Down side are that it's shift work.
    They work 10-6am, 6-2pm or 2-10pm and the nights can fairly mess up any social life, but then again when I went out with a girl who was a garda and she used to drop over at 6am after she finished work to "wake me up"!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

deja vu thread ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

It feels as if this thread has been done before - complete with the handcuff references too! Am I the only one who's experiencing a bit of deja vu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

biko wrote:
    Or a ban garda?

That Term is long gone, its just Garda now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Down side are that it's shift work.
    They work 10-6am, 6-2pm or 2-10pm and the nights can fairly mess up any social life, but then again when I went out with a girl who was a garda and she used to drop over at 6am after she finished work to "wake me up"!

not all of us work these hours (known as "the regular" ) but most do .....
    speaking as a Garda myself to be honest I don't think it has ever made any difference to any one I have ever dated or gone out with ...somebody always brings up the handcuffs jokes ...... Thinking about it , probably the biggest disadvantage is the shift work, as your not always available to go out weekends due to nights etc.
    Having said that my mate is going out with a female Garda who works 9 to 5 and he is very happy. I don't really see why a career should make that much difference.If you wanted to get away with penalty points etc surely you would be better off dating a judge ????:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

vasch_ro wrote:
    If you wanted to get away with penalty points etc surely you would be better off dating a judge ????:)

Any takers? [\shivers]

vasch_ro wrote:
    .If you wanted to get away with penalty points etc surely you would be better off dating a judge ????:)
    Didn't do Catherine Nevin much good!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

dbfarrell wrote:
    Disadvantages....cant seen any!!

Distadvantages? BanGarda's hole. It's a terrible affliction affecting many Female members of the Garda Sicholuní. A nice nubile young lady joins the force, and within weeks the width of her posterior has expanded exponentially. Scientists are working around the clock for a cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i always thought, and this is no disrespect to the gards on this thread, that gards always go out with other gards for the simple reason, that you know....they are gardai? i mean i know with my lifestyle, and with most of my friends and family(im not a scumbag dealer or wife beater or peadophile or anything,honestly!! ) that they couldnt go out with a gard because it would mean being more,how you say, alert on what i do, i dunno exactly what im trying to say but surely others would kinda know what im talking about?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Aye, we know what yer talking about.
    **secret handshake initiation**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My sister is married to a guard and he works mad hours, it's a problem for her because she doesn't like being alone in the house and he frequently works nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ClockWorkOrange

i always thought, and this is no disrespect to the gards on this thread, that gards always go out with other gards for the simple reason, that you know....they are gardai? i mean i know with my lifestyle, and with most of my friends and family(im not a scumbag dealer or wife beater or peadophile or anything,honestly!! ) that they couldnt go out with a gard because it would mean being more,how you say, alert on what i do, i dunno exactly what im trying to say but surely others would kinda know what im talking about?

420?

Guards are odd man, what the hell do they do to them in Templemore..? I know one and he is the biggest thug ive ever met ..borderline mental case...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Would a guard arrest their own spouse, I wonder how serious a thing you would have to do to get them to turn you over...

Perks: Handcuffs, I hate buying my own.

Just like people who are in the same firm go out with people in the same firm, it is usually to do with a mutual interest in something.

Myth wrote:
    it is usually to do with a mutual interest in something.
    Generally it is because the met through work. Teachers married to teachers, Nurses married to nurses, airport staff married to other airport staff etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ClockWorkOrange

Myth wrote:
    Just like people who are in the same firm go out with people in the same firm, it is usually to do with a mutual interest in something.

Mutual interest in Having a pole up their ass and enjoying police brutality?? Makes sense actually :D

Mutual interest in Having a pole up their ass and enjoying police brutality?? Makes sense actually :D

The mutual interest can involve money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

It's a great marriage for a shallow Irish girl, "ah he's a fine gard, and Im a nurse sur and me father has land".
    Materialistic match, and the kids are always obnoxious and in the no name club and are always more popular than better lookin people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

faceman wrote:

I know of someone¬_¬ who had a bit of a thing with a garda a year or two ago. A fortnight after it ended the girl in question went to the station to get her age card form signed.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Scraggs wrote:
    I know of someone¬_¬ who had a bit of a thing with a garda a year or two ago. A fortnight after it ended the girl in question went to the station to get her age card form signed.:rolleyes:

Was he the garda in recepition you had to present the form too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement