Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for being "off topic"

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'll respond in detail, to the replies to my post later, when I have more time, but I just want to distance myself from those who seem to hate all mods. Most mods are grand, in the two forums where I post the most, UCD (Hullabaloo)and Politics (all six mods) I have no problem with the mods, and think that they do a great job.
    Indeed, I wouldn't normally single Thaedydal out, only it was her post that set me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Direct personal abuse, post reported.
    Not that it will achieve anything.

The first rule in fighting the power is to acknowledge that you will never win.

So why do it? Especially when the things you are fighting don't exist. If think otherwise prove me wrong. Show me moderators abusing their positions. Back up your argument and prove to me that you are not a moron.
    The second rule is to ignore the first rule and put some faith in the decent people out there.:p

I have plenty of faith in the decent people out there. Because they are out there, not in here fighting the power. The vast majority of users don't even read this forum let alone post here. Why? Because they don't see any problems. They don't even read the charters but they still manage not to get themselves banned. Only the stupid get themselves banned. The really stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

amp wrote:
    Back up your argument and prove to me that you are not a moron.

So now I'm a moron 'til I can prove otherwise. Nice, very nice.

It's that Boards official position or are you just being abusive on your own behalf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All new posters are considered morons until they get past the curtural learning curve :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Thaedydal wrote:
    All new posters are considered morons until they get past the curtural learning curve :)

With good reason, and backed up by bitter experience.

Cynical? Nous?

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    Now that explanation is quite acceptable.
    I look forward to the day when I will have worked my way up to being a simpleton.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I look forward to the day when I will have worked my way up to being a simpleton.

Check the spelling in your sig on your way whilst you're at it.

Check the spelling in your sig on your way whilst you're at it.
    Thank you, your Holiness. That's very good advice. You should take it yourself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

orly-thumb.jpg

You know, coz it's the festive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Thaedydal wrote:
    Ah yes... summed exquisitely. Till you know the sound of ones laughter, and the stalkings of another... we're all on the outside...

... enjoying life. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

So now I'm a moron 'til I can prove otherwise. Nice, very nice.

People that walk around with sandwich board signs which read THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH are mad or stupid because they are passionately fixated on something which isn't real. They cannot prove that the world is about to end but they walk around seeking attention to their own half-baked moronic theories strapped to their chests. You are the boards.ie equivilant of this. This is not abuse, this is not an insult. It's merely an observation. If I called a gay man gay, I wouldn't be insulting him I would merely be stating a fact.
    It's that Boards official position or are you just being abusive on your own behalf?

Neither, because I'm not abusing you. If you mistake stating a fact with abuse then you provide yet more proof that you are a moron.

Edit:
    Reason Given : Person abuse by Amp. I am not a moron nor part of a clique of morons. I object to being personally attacked in that manner. Whatever happen to attack the post not the poster? Or are mods exempt from that rule too? Maybe just certain mods? Maybe just the ones that live with the boss?

I know this report will be ridiculed in the Mod Forum but hey, what the hell, it's the only option open to any ordinary poster. Let the laughter commence.

You're so right, it is being rediculed. But why did you want to restrict the laughter to the Mod forum? Why did you want to let the ordinary working user miss out on the hilarity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

amp wrote:
    People that walk around with sandwich board signs which read THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH are mad or stupid because they are passionately fixated on something which isn't real. They cannot prove that the world is about to end but they walk around seeking attention to their own half-baked moronic theories strapped to their chests. You are the boards.ie equivilant of this. This is not abuse, this is not an insult. It's merely an observation. If I called a gay man gay, I wouldn't be insulting him I would merely be stating a fact.

Neither, because I'm not abusing you. If you mistake stating a fact with abuse then you provide yet more proof that you are a moron.

Edit:

Reason Given : Person abuse by Amp. I am not a moron nor part of a clique of morons. I object to being personally attacked in that manner. Whatever happen to attack the post not the poster? Or are mods exempt from that rule too? Maybe just certain mods? Maybe just the ones that live with the boss?

I know this report will be ridiculed in the Mod Forum but hey, what the hell, it's the only option open to any ordinary poster. Let the laughter commence.

You're so right, it is being rediculed. But why did you want to restrict the laughter to the Mod forum? Why did you want to let the ordinary working user miss out on the hilarity?

Bad form to take private document off the mod sub forum ala reported posts and make them public tbh. Will others now feel safe reporting posts? I'd call that mod abuse. but i may be wrong.

No doubt an Smod will provide a ban?

If not it is Just My View's and a few others point proven.

Twilight ZonagE!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

Publishing the text of a "reported post" intended for mods/admins only, for the purpose ridiculing a poster is just another boundry that this man will cross.

I have PM'ed the Admins individually.

I'll sit here with my coat on.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I actually lol'ed at the cat bit. :)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm closing this thread because it is more derailed then British Rail's 3:30 from Cheapstoke. We havent previously set a policy about quoting reported post text, in fact I wouldnt have thought about it as it doesnt seem a problem normally but we'll discuss a policy with the mods presently. I find it ironic that you picked up on Amp calling you a moron while there were several other people who also called you a moron who you didnt report.

Finally, I'm getting a little tired of people referring to the Mods as one big group. Its practically the same as say "the blacks" or "the jews". Using generalist terms to cover a group as large and diverse as them and then applying negative stereotypes it seems at best unhelpful and at worst prejudicial.

I think Minesajackdaniels posted pretty well on this topic before the thread descended into bun-fight territory.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement