Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for being "off topic"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

stooge wrote:
    Catch a grip... If youre gonna start banning people for comments made 8 months ago, youre obviously on one of those power trips I was talking about earlier.

Seriously ... what was your old user name? You can trust us, you're with friends here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Gordon wrote:
    terms and conditions apply

which are?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

stooge wrote:
    which are?
    The ones that don't affect your statutory rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Gordon wrote:
    Quoted for truth.

matt-dublin that offer extends to yourself also.
    hold on a second, im here over a year!

6th wrote:
    Seriously ... what was your old user name? You can trust us, you're with friends here ;)

what makes you think I have an old username?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

hold on a second, im here over a year!
    gordo for you:
    http://www.avatarist.com/avatars/Funny/Bears/Stripper-Bear.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Page doesn't work, but I mean subscribe as in -click my signature- type subscribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

stooge wrote:
    Catch a grip... If youre gonna start banning people for comments made 8 months ago, youre obviously on one of those power trips I was talking about earlier.

Nope I am not.

Seriously with a forum as busy as PI do you think that mods even looked at the date the post was made ?

It is not relevant, it broke the charter rules after warnings were kindly issued.
    What makes boards.ie different from a lot of online forums is the fact sections are not archived of, they are kept in the data base and if they are not locked and deleted are still live.

This very feature has nearly broke vbb several times. :)

If a thread like that one which resulted in the justifed ban was dragged up and it was from 1998 I would consider the ban actionible.

You break the rules you get warned or banned or stomped on,
    maybe not today maybe not tomorrow but some day soon as a mod notices
    but at least it tend to be for a week to a month and not the rest of your lives.

This is how the site runs and the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up your account.

@r3nu4l ah er um thanks.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

r3nu4al, the statute of limitations (as someone already mentioned) applies to legal cases. It stops people taking cases after a certain amount of time depending on the offence etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

stooge wrote:
    Firstly you didnt answer my question. Secondly, enough with the 'studies have shown' stuff, the (off topic ;) ) issue I raised here is a Mod having an avatar that 'could' cause offense. There is no need for it and he/she should know better.
    Lots of things that are allowed can cause offense.

There's a rule about signatures and avatars not being explicit, but implicit is allowed (and fun to try to push).

And yeah, it does seem to me that the OP shouldn't have been banned, Gordon just didn't see the date, just like those of us who posted after wearinganappy didn't see that he was dragging up an old thread either.

Then it again it does seem pretty cut-and-dried that they should have been banned 8 months ago, so I don't really agree with the complaints about Gordon's actions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

r3nu4al, the statute of limitations (as someone already mentioned) applies to legal cases. It stops people taking cases after a certain amount of time depending on the offence etc.

Hulla, what are you on about? I didn't mention the statue of limitations...nor did I say it should apply to boards.ie threads :confused:

Besides the statute of limitations does not apply across the board to all sorts of crimes in the legal system, not that it matters since I didn't mention the statue of limitations, nor do I think it would apply here!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Of course it doesn't apply here. I was posting off topic because that's where the thread's gone, but I was also referring to something you said here:
    r3nu4al wrote:
    True, if Matt's post had been actionable in the legal sense, it would make no difference whether the post was made today or three years ago to a court of law, so mods would be right to take action on it when it came to their attention.
    This isn't true as every action taken in courts in this jurisdiction will be time-barred by the Statute of Limitations after a certain amount of time.

That also means that this is untrue:
    Besides the statute of limitations does not apply across the board to all sorts of crimes in the legal system
    because the statute does apply across the board.

Anyway, this is just FYI. Apologies to anyone who couldn't give a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Your responses are greatly appreciated.
    Er, it's their party and they can cry if they want to?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Talliesin wrote:
    And yeah, it does seem to me that the OP shouldn't have been banned, Gordon just didn't see the date

I disagree.
    He would have been banned if the comment had been caught at the time. As the thread was on the front page, the comment was seen, he was banned. It's a week he would have gotten either way.

The statute of limitations applies to Civil cases and not criminal cases, so you are right that a comment on boards would not be actionable after 3 or 6 years but not right regarding criminal acts.

See here for the 1957 act which covers land and property. The Act was amended in 1991 to reflect limitations in personal injury claims and again in 2000 to reflect limitations in sex abuse claims.

EDIT: I'm willing to be corrected as I'm a scientist not a lawyer :)
    Anyway, I agree with Gordons decision in principle, better that mods are proactive and seen to stand by warnings issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

While we are off the subject:
    Besides the statute of limitations does not apply across the board to all sorts of crimes in the legal system
    <snip>

Anyway, this is just FYI. Apologies to anyone who couldn't give a fcuk.

Is there a statute of limitations in murder cases?

Hobart wrote:
    While we are off the subject:
    Is there a statute of limitations in murder cases?

*Gulp* Why do you want to know? :D

By my (very) limited and poor understanding, there is no legal limitation on criminal acts in Ireland therefore murder being a criminal act, there is no limitation. Again, I'm no lawyer so what would I know? Maybe this should continue here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Hey guys,

I've been banned for being off topic on one of the forums here and i want clarification why.
    http://nologin.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054900174

i've been told i have been off topic.

I gave advice to someone and was backed up by someone else.
    Now i can understand there was a few posts between myself and another user but surely nothing to be banned for?

The moderator in question never gave me a warning and i got a PM from him this morning. Now as i understand a moderator is there to protect the user from unwanted material and bitchyness?

am i not right in saying that the mod should have deleted the posts and not banned me and another user for a very minor misdemenor?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
    I just read the PI thread and you well deserved the ban.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Nope I am not.

Seriously with a forum as busy as PI do you think that mods even looked at the date the post was made ?

It is not relevant, it broke the charter rules after warnings were kindly issued.
    What makes boards.ie different from a lot of online forums is the fact sections are not archived of, they are kept in the data base and if they are not locked and deleted are still live.

This very feature has nearly broke vbb several times. :)

If a thread like that one which resulted in the justifed ban was dragged up and it was from 1998 I would consider the ban actionible.

You break the rules you get warned or banned or stomped on,
    maybe not today maybe not tomorrow but some day soon as a mod notices
    but at least it tend to be for a week to a month and not the rest of your lives.

This is how the site runs and the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up your account.

@r3nu4l ah er um thanks.

Common sense should really prevail in this instance. Of the two banned, one (Matt-Dublin) had already posted on-topic helpful posts and with no reply from the OP suggesting that the thread was dead anyway.

The monitoring of the site as I understand is mainly based on user complaints /reports (as well as Mod monitoring)...in this case no-one complained about the off-topic post, indeed, one moderator even posted a reply after the off-topic post. This Mod did not issue a ban.

**Edit, the Mod didnt issue a ban as he/she was not Modding this partic board. All the same, they would have noticed it and therefore brought it to attention of Gordon/Beruthiel. As I understnad this is not how the ban came about**

I am not arguing with the house rules, but... if you are going to have rules to abide by, then they should be clearly defined and they should be firmly enforced by the Mods. They should state that any posts in a live thread can be acted upon no matter when they were posted, have this clear for all to see and then there would be absolutely no argument in this case.

As for the Mods in question (Gordon and Beruthiel) is it not a bit of a coincidence that they are firmly ahead of all other Mods in the "League of B******s"? Its quite probable they are having a competition and they more they ban they more famous they are...

wise up guys

League of B******s. Tards Banned
    Beruthiel 579
    Gordon 578
    ecksor 505
    Asok 452
    Talliesin 209

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

r3nu4l wrote:
    *Gulp* Why do you want to know? :D

By my (very) limited and poor understanding, there is no legal limitation on criminal acts in Ireland therefore murder being a criminal act, there is no limitation.
    Maybe the act applies to all criminal acts in this juristiction, but is applied in such a way as to preclude criminal acts being affected by the statute. So the statuate applies, but just has no effect?
    Again, I'm no lawyer so what would I know? Maybe this should continue here?

Nah...lets kepps this thread happily off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

stooge wrote:
    Common sense should really prevail in this instance. Of the two banned, one (Matt-Dublin) had already posted on-topic helpful posts and with no reply from the OP suggesting that the thread was dead anyway.

The monitoring of the site as I understand is mainly based on user complaints /reports (as well as Mod monitoring)...in this case no-one complained about the off-topic post, indeed, one moderator even posted a reply after the off-topic post. This Mod did not issue a ban.

**Edit, the Mod didnt issue a ban as he/she was not Modding this partic board. All the same, they would have noticed it and therefore brought it to attention of Gordon/Beruthiel. As I understnad this is not how the ban came about**

I am not arguing with the house rules, but... if you are going to have rules to abide by, then they should be clearly defined and they should be firmly enforced by the Mods. They should state that any posts in a live thread can be acted upon no matter when they were posted, have this clear for all to see and then there would be absolutely no argument in this case.

As for the Mods in question (Gordon and Beruthiel) is it not a bit of a coincidence that they are firmly ahead of all other Mods in the "League of B******s"? Its quite probable they are having a competition and they more they ban they more famous they are...

wise up guys

Beruthiel 579
    Gordon 578
    ecksor 505
    Asok 452
    Talliesin 209
    Please put me out of my misery, who was it you used to be?

delly wrote:
    Please put me out of my misery, who was it you used to be?
    This is completly off-topic but I havent seen any warnings....yet

I really don't know why you think I have an old username, and I find it even more surprising that you think, if I did have one, I would tell you it. If I had an old username this would probably mean that it is no longer in use (i.e. banned) and that would in turn result in me receiving a ban for rejoining under a new username?

No, this is my first time joining... although I have been viewing boards for the last year or so.

Being totally honest with myself I owe boards more than I've given it so I reckon I should start with the helpful posts in the music/Tech/Sport threads and get away form the (slightly) controversial threads Ive been involved in so far) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

stooge wrote:

wise up guys

Shut up newb! What the hell would you know about moderating on this site? You've only been here a month! It's like a toddler toddling into a Garda station trying to argue that a drunk driver shouldn't be jailed.
    Beruthiel 579
    Gordon 578
    ecksor 505
    Asok 452
    Talliesin 209

oooo so close between Ruthie and Gordo! And ecksor, come on, YOU USED TO BE HARDCORE!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

stooge wrote:
    If I had an old username this would probably mean that it is no longer in use (i.e. banned) and that would in turn result in me receiving a ban for rejoining under a new username?
    OMFGZ :eek: I never thought of that, yr a l33t haxor

amp wrote:
    Shut up newb!
    Boourns! Less of the newb stuff, sounds like something a script kiddie would say. At risk of a ban... (:D)...you amp, arenotyourjoindate!:gulp:cowers in terror of mighty modship
    amp wrote:
    What the hell would you know about moderating on this site? You've only been here a month! It's like a toddler toddling into a Garda station trying to argue that a drunk driver shouldn't be jailed.
    Good point! :D
    amp wrote:
    oooo so close between Ruthie and Gordo! And ecksor, come on, YOU USED TO BE HARDCORE!
    Well now, I do believe I had only joined boards.ie back in Jan and I think it was ecksor who was the first mod to slap me into place (for "armchair modding"), he's so hardcore he doesn't even need to ban, his presence is enough to make even Ewheelchair9999 stop re-registering!

amp wrote:
    Shut up newb! What the hell would you know about moderating on this site? You've only been here a month! It's like a toddler toddling into a Garda station trying to argue that a drunk driver shouldn't be jailed.
    I am a moderator on a (unamed) sport forum... I have an idea

amp wrote:

:rolleyes:

stooge wrote:
    I am a moderator on a (unamed) sport forum... I have an idea

Well, I also mod on another site (with troublesome posters there too!) but that doesn't mean I know anything about moderating on boards.ie

My problem is that on the forum I moderate sometimes a simple site-ban can result in a deluge of ddos attacks and SQL injection attempts from those pesky script-kiddies :(

amp wrote:
    Shut up newb!

No matter if I have been here 10 days or 10years my opinion still counts. Quite childish behaviour here for a Mod.

He's not a mod of this forum though, so what difference does it make?

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote:
    Well, I also mod on another site (with troublesome posters there too!) but that doesn't mean I know anything about moderating on boards.ie

My problem is that on the forum I moderate sometimes a simple site-ban can result in a deluge of ddos attacks and SQL injection attempts from those pesky script-kiddies :(

I just said I have an idea, the same common issues occur no matter what the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement