Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for being "off topic"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dear matt-dublin you seem to have many misconceptions.

I would also like to add the fact that that this was months ago and i have since not posted in that thread and it is only came up today?

The time lapse does not matter there is no statute of limitations on breaking the rules in the charter and posting stuipidly.
    by a moderator with an unsuitable avatar for a publin board seems highly unprofessional imo

What do you mean unsuitible ? I see an owl in Gordons avatar, the large eyes and a beak; if you see something else that is what your mind is interptes and it would appear you have a dirty mind.

Oh and none of the mods who moderate forums at boards.ie are professional we are not paid or employeed by boards.ie we do it out of love.
    I will apologise as i didn't see the post from the first mod and to gordon for the same point.

That is not the mods fault or problem if you dd not read the full thread; it is a good idea to do so for just that reason.

Even if you had not seen the warnings posting offtopic and unhelpfully once is enough to get you banned, we don't have to issue warning but we are mostly nice people and tend to do so.

If you don't read them and if you break the rules of the forum as laid down in the charter then you will get banned.

i will not apologise for something i was banned for and to watch someone else do without reprise?

You apologise should if you were in the wrong and clearly you were.
    Now if you have an issue with a post and it is to your mind off topic then please use the report post button which can be found on each post to report it for the mods, cat most, smods or admin to review and consider taking action on.
    a moderator who is supposed to be a form of role model on the boards should not be using an avatar that depicts nudity on a pulic board where children and feminists may view and be offended.

Now you are just being silly, there are a lot worse pictures on the internet.
    Personally I am looking forward to subscribing so I can use 453a.jpg as my avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

matt-dublin. Okay, let me get back on topic (lest I be banned :D) What you are sayying is that you got away with your off-topic chat for a long time until another mod spotted it and then banned you but that's not really the point.

I know this is stretching the analogy a bit but...

...if I rob a bank and don't get caught for months then all of a sudden get taken off to jail and get lots of unwanted attention in the showers etc. I shouldn't really complain about being in jail because I committed the crime months ago, should I?

Just because time has passed doesn't mean that you should get away with it, especially in PI which does have different (appropriate) rules to After Hours and other fora (forums).

As for picking out Gordons Avatar? Come on, if you have an argument stick to it and don't drag things off topic...but then again that's why you are complaining in the first place isn't it? :)

IMO, it's a short ban, a fair one and won't exactly effect your CV now will it? So take it on the chin and post elsewhere for a while :)

Edit: Thaedydal got there before me and more succinctly with some points...nice Avatar ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Now ur just being mean :(

ni.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

children and feminists may view and be offended.
    Won't someone please think of the feminists!!!!!!!!

I know some people see traffic cones and owls when they look at gordon's av, but Matt and I clearly have dirty dirty minds and saw a nudey woman...

I don't see whats wrong with Thaedydal's AV though, it's just two monkey's fighting on a tree thats on fire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

We're not on a prude site, we're on a public forum of discussion.
    The moderator in question never gave me a warning and i got a PM from him this morning.
    If you think it was perfectly okay to be off-topic when not only has everyone been warned already (in the charter) but someone else was warned for exactly the same thing, and then someone else was warned with the additional notice "next person to post a useless, unhelpful comment gets banned" then your main problem is this:

You are too stupid for the Internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

GIt OFF MA INTERNETS BOI!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thank you all for putting a smile on my face this monday morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Pighead will be all over that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Beruthiel wrote:
    Thank you all for putting a smile on my face this monday morning :D
    i do my best :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

i do my best :D

Matt they're laughing at you, you look dumberer when you join in...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

It is all worth to hear Beruthiel's evil laugh.

MM

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cackle MM, cackle
    tbh wrote:
    Pighead will be all over that comment.

Oh sh!t,
    I should be safe enough, he rarely ventures outside the walls of AH

Diogenes wrote:
    Matt they're laughing at you, you look dumberer when you join in...
    if you can't laugh at urself who can you laugh @?

Beruthiel wrote:
    Cackle MM, cackle

Oh sh!t,
    I should be safe enough, he rarely ventures outside the walls of AH

And he's even gone all quiet there too, apparently he's spending a lot of time on gambling forums! Probably hoping to become rich overnight in an attempt to woo you :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

So matt wheres welly with his moany, whingy thread?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Give it a while, learn your lesson, then politely talk to Ruthie in PM explaining you will comply and adjust your posts accordingly. You'll find she's exceptionally reasonable...

For the record, I dunno if Gordon only just changed his avatar but I'm pretty sure I've been seeing that as eyeballs...

As for protecting the feminists.... jeez, do you date like AT ALL?? :):)
    Most of the feminists I know would have made you female for that comment...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

DeVore wrote:

As for protecting the feminists.... jeez, do you date like AT ALL?? :):)
    Most of the feminists I know would have made you female for that comment...

DeV.

no offense intended, I'm sure, DeV?

:D

I think I should post in the "life's ironies" thread that a thread about being off-topic has gone so off-topic. But maybe that'd attract pighead, so I won't.

no need to thank me ruthie! ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

One of these days I'm going to come into possession of a firearm and perform the cleansing.

Ecksor: Posts: 1

Is this another post-count cull? :D

"Ecksor, setting a good example for boardsies everywhere. You are not your post-count!"

Edit: Now it says 'Posts: 0'. What be happenin' here Cap'n?

im not quiet i was at lunch!

• Advertisement

im not quiet i was at lunch!

:confused: Are you referring to my comment about Pighead going quiet in AH? I was referring to the user Pighead, Beruthiels not-so-secret stalker...not referring to you as a pighead as that would be personal abuse...another type of bannable offence :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I always see Gordon's avatar as a face. One without a nose, albeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Faith wrote:
    I always see Gordon's avatar as a face. One without a nose, albeit.

poo

ah right, no i've been called pig head before, so used to it ;)! Ha ha stalker!

We should change the name of this thread to the monday morning super off topic let steam off thread and everyone can join in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It seems a little over the top to ban someone for a post they made 8 months ago He either wasn't banned back then, in which case the mod probably didn't see the need, or he was banned back then and he is being unfairly banned twice. Either way this seems rather unnecessary.

I would hope the mods or super mods don't trawl over my old posts from the last few years looking for times I "got away with it," and then retrospec ban me.

My two cents anyway.

There should be no doubt why matt was banned though, the mod said twice to stay on topic. If he wants to know why he was banned its in black and light blue on the page he linked to. I'm not sure what his great objection is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Every time I see Gordo's avatar I think of Odlums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

delly wrote:
    Every time I see Gordo's avatar I think of Odlums.
    ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wicknight wrote:
    It seems a little over the top to ban someone for a post they made 8 months ago He either wasn't banned back then, in which case the mod probably didn't see the need, or he was banned back then and he is being unfairly banned twice. Either way this seems rather unnecessary.

I would hope the mods or super mods don't trawl over my old posts from the last few years looking for times I "got away with it," and then retrospec ban me.

My two cents anyway.

There should be no doubt why matt was banned though, the mod said twice to stay on topic. If he wants to know why he was banned its in black and light blue on the page he linked to. I'm not sure what his great objection is.

i agree 110%

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Wicknight wrote:

Well I haven't ever done that so, speaking for myself, I can say that that hasn't and won't happen.

As for the point about the guy being banned 8 months ago - if that's true then I'd definitely unban him as it's not right of me to do so. I'll double check that isn't the case now.

/no he hasn't been banned for that 8 months ago as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:

With my won stupidity i spotted that too late and apologiesed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement