Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet 'attendents' in Pubs and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I for one reckon that their racking it in. Why else would anyone do it?
    I heard that there are busker's out there who make more money than people who work their nuts off on building sites and even in office jobs. All for sitting on their butts with a hat in front of them, and then go home and put their feet up and watch sky on their 42 inch t.v.'s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thrill wrote:
    I heard that there are busker's out there who make more money than people who work their nuts off on building sites and even in office jobs. All for sitting on their butts with a hat in front of them, and then go home and put their feet up and watch sky on their 42 inch t.v.'s.

i once heard that buskers eat children when they are poor

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i once heard that busker's eat children when they are poor

Point taken.I knew that would come back to bite me in the ass. I should have mentioned it was a t.v report and just a very, very tiny minority. scam artists who weren't poor to begin with.
    ouch. ass bitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Ahh don't be PC. You know people wouldn't be so nice if they were white...

By the way, I couldn't give a damn about black / white, I just find the "niceness" here amusing. I know the After Hours folk are not normally so kind... :)

Damn honkies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

don't like them at all, I wouldn't mind if they where outside of the toilet selling perfume sprays but not in the actual toilet. i too have experienced the "oh we seem to be out of the free handtowels, here have one of mine thats €1 per sheet". Its a breach of male toilet etiquette imo, i'm in there to donate a few pounds to the irish coastline, wash my hands then get out of there. I'm not in there to make idle chit chat, or make important decisions like what i'd like to smell like as I leave the toilet. Even if it was a free service that you didn't need to tip for I still wouldn't like it. Why can't they just have a perfume/fancy towel dispenser?

Another thing i'm actually wondering about now, do the womans toilets have these attendants also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I think they do, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jesus, what is it about boards members being guilted into things? Its pretty pathetic. If its not the homeless standing at the Luas change machine. Its the black in the jack.

I simply go in, take a piss, wash my hands, take the hand towel the chap offers me, dry my hands and walk out. Some of you people need to grow some balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Yes some of these toilet attendants can be a bit annoying, but any barman would agree that most of these guys are a godsend. They keep the toilet area clean so you (the barman) don't have to. The last thing anyone working in a bar wants to have to do is mop puddles of p1ss, vomit and soaked bogroll off the floor at 2am.
    Going off tangent slightly, my local is a pretty big pub. There's two male bathrooms in the lounge area downstairs. One has an attendant in it at weekends. The other never has. I would usually go to that one so I don't have to listen to yer man rapping. Can be a tad annoying. What really p1sses me off is that the pub have started locking the door out to the attendant-free jacks around 11pm, so you have to go to the other one. They did it last night. Now that is pure bullsh*t in my mind. No need for that sort of sneakiness at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Exactly.

Poor Analogy im afraid.
    Unlike the people selling the evening Echo at traffic lights, I CANT make my own newspaper, I CAN wash my own hands!

T.Sc.

and they let you wash your own hands. They then give you paper or whatever to dry your hands.

imo it's good, makes the toilets safer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nehpets wrote:
    and they let you wash your own hands. They then give you paper or whatever to dry your hands.

imo it's good, makes the toilets safer..
    That's true, people are less inclined to fight in the jax if they know that there's an employee there who can alert the bouncers post haste!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I find they always stare at me if I'm fixing my make-up or whatever, then they always give the "oh you look so lovely" sh!te :rolleyes: , obviously trying to get a good tip off me...

I used to chat to this one in the Palace toilets, she seemed nice enough and I always gave her a fairly good tip (usually when I'm p1ssed as a fart of course) but one night I went into the other toilet which I never use cause its out near the entrance and the girl in there said to me "you know my sister paula, she works in the other toilet" So I was thinking, how the hell did she know that unless the sister had been describing me and telling her I'm a good tipper, so then I just wanted to get out of there and I said "is she in? sure I'll go over and say hello to her" and proceeded to walk out, so she grabs me very abruptly by my forearm and says "You come in here, you p1ss in here" I was in shock.. Didn't know what to do, I went to the toilet in there and then told her I'd no change and left the place, haven't gone back since, I was sorry I didn't say something to the bouncers cause they know me and my bf and always let us skip the que etc cause we used be there all the time, I'm sure they'd have said something to the manager for me but its too late now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Rumour has it these toilet attendees also have little bags of weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I CAN wash my own hands!

I'm sure that your mam would be proud.

I have never been in a situation where the toilet attendant insisted on helping me, some of them offer and if I say 'No, you're grand man I'll look after it myself' - then they will leave you alone.

I thought my analagy was decent.. maybe not. IMO its a non essential service (ie. I can buy my own frickin paper/wash my own frickin hands), and its up to you to decide whether you'll avail of said service.
    Some of you people need to grow some balls.

++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

I dont see the need for them, they annoy me so much.
    They dont stop the use of drugs / we have cubicles for that! They dont stop drinking drink we bought in off-licence - we have cubicles for that!!
    They charge a feckin euro for one spray of perfume / deodrant / hair spray... and if im redoing my make-up in the mirror they stare at me!!!
    And of a fight broke out - cant see them doing much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I had a quick poll in my office and we're giving it all up to go begging.

Our CEO is a bit sceptical but I think we've convinced him.

Cheers thrill for putting us wide to this. Your perception is astounding. How did they keep this potential income stream quiet for so long..?!

thrill wrote:
    I for one reckon that their racking it in. Why else would anyone do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

stovelid wrote:

Cheers thrill for putting us wide to this. Your perception is astounding. How did they keep this potential income stream quiet for so long..?!

in fairness man you'll only make about 500 euros a week. its tax free but theres no pension so if youve a cushy public service job its not worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Why not just use the hand dryer? One guy in a niteclub actually stood in front the hand dryer so you had to go to him. I did and politely asked him to move out of the way so I can dry my hands.

Also I put aftershave on before I go out. No need for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CloverOne

We have a toilet attendant who raps for us in a pub/club I go to. I still don't tip him though because I don't actually avail of any of whatever services he is supposed to be there to provide. If any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

CloverOne wrote:
    We have a toilet attendant who raps for us in a pub/club I go to.

Oh dear, MC Hammer has really fallen on hard times hasn't he? :(

But seriously, all those toilet attendant dudes do is give me stage fright!

stovelid wrote:

If you had checked a few posts above yours you would have seen a further explanation of what i was on about. Guys collecting the dole and during the day they would busk. According to an R.T.E. report these guys where making an awful lot of money during a week. They were not about to brag about it to everyone. I have already admitted that my first post was a little short on detail. Read all the posts before making sarcastic remarks.

in fairness man you'll only make about 500 euros a week. its tax free but theres no pension so if youve a cushy public service job its not worth it!

Agreed, but if your someone who doesn't want to work and sponge off the state then it's easy money really, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

i was in a pub in Mulingar & sean moncrief was in the jacks handing out free lolipops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Gone are the days where you could go for a pat cash without feeling compelled to pay €2 to some random punter who is your 'friend' for all of 2mins. How stupid are we after a few pints :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

fcuking hate it, so degrading for them. And they rob you blind. 1 quid for giveing me a paper towel and spraying me with some watered down aftershave.

And they have a attitude too.

Go and clean up the piss on the walls you sh1t cnts !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

anti wrote:
    fcuking hate it, so degrading for them. And they rob you blind. 1 quid for giveing me a paper towel and spraying me with some watered down aftershave.
    Generally I doubt they see it as degrading but more as stupid Irish folk wasting money. I know when I was J1 it I thought the US folk as wasteful and silly with money.
    They generally are cheating the system as they are not allowed work. They certainly aren't paying taxes.
    It is close to a protection racket from what I have heard.

On comments on certification not being recognised here, there is a very good reason. Corruption and forgery mean many are not genuine. Leasons learnt from "programers" not able to use Excel or Word.

Mixing in threads "htings that won't work here but do in the US" . I remeber reading of an Irish woman tell how when she bought a paper in a vending machineshe always took all the papers and stuck the other copies on top. They Irish mentality is still scr*w the the system and coming from corrupt systems why should they see it any different once they are here. We just lost are wiley ways.

I still dislike toilet attendents purely for the discomfort factor. The first ones I ever encountered were in the POD in the early 90s. They were there mostly because the leaking water features though. They still didn't stop the alleged rape in the toilets by the bouncers a few years back or should it be the allegations of rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I think it's pointless having toilet attendants. In a club, floor staff are employed to keep the place clean, and if a toilet blocks, or someone makes an awful mess, floor staff usually have to look after it anyway.
    Securitywise, they usually don't do any good. One guy broke a hand dryer off the wall in a club I've worked in, and the toilet attendant didn't tell anyone and couldn't give a description of who did it.
    I don't like the idea of someone watching you p1ss (and they do when it's quiet), I don't like coming out of the toilet smelling like Boots and half the other male clientel, and I don't like paying for nothing. When did this bullsh1t of tipping everyone start in this country? You're even expected to tip on top of your service charge in some restaurants. Do Irish people feel so flash they tip people every time they buy a pint and want someone to hand them a towel when they've p1ssed? People get paid peanuts in American bars and restaurants. They live off their tips. We have a minimum wage. It's there so we don't have to live off the gratuieties of others. I'm sure most people like getting the extra cash, but it's not nice to see jumped up gob****es throwing small change to someone doing a menial job. Or worse, people who can't afford to go around tipping people feeling like they have to because that's the way things have gone.
    I don't go out of my way to avoid toilet attendants, but I did alot more for my weeks wages than stand there with a plate full of money and bottles of Tommy Hilfigger after-shave, so I don't feel compelled to tip them. They're making a fortune at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Went to the Ritz for a drink in London just for fun and had to pay a pound for a towel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yes they're always in women's toilets too...
    I use the handdryer and ignore the attendant completely... I put on perfume when I go out, I don't need to put more in there.
    I certainly don't feel obliged to tip someone I can easily ignore...
    you people are daft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It was highly rich in details. Just idiotic ones.

If you make barely factual comments, you shouldn't complain if people have a little fun about it.

Chill out.
    thrill wrote:
    I have already admitted that my first post was a little short on detail.

Advertisement