Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet 'attendents' in Pubs and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Its totally a Dublin Thing.

No it's not. You get them here in Galway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

fozzle wrote:
    And Irish companies aren't allowed hire foreigners?
    I've done that job and I was payed by the bar, I've never heard of places hiring attendants in from outside.

They are unlikely to be granted a work permit for a toilet attendant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

one of em turned me onto the fragrance I've been using for the last year

Eh ok.

So is this job something one needs qualificiations/experience for or are they just hiring people off the streets?

I'd hate to think I was getting advise on how to undermine my manliness from people who didn't know what they are talking about!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

at the end of the day, their just trying to make some money. their not getting paid by the clubs, they work solely for the tips that they get.

they keep the jacks clean, make sure noones taking anything in the jacks etc. etc.

i always give them a tip when im in a club

I remember the days they had them in the GPO .. I mustve given at least a hundred euros to them feckers when I was hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

They are only trying to make some money guys, which would you prefere, them keeping toilets clean and suppling deoderant.perfume/aftershave/gum and lollis or begging at traffic lights for a few quid.....

if you had no other way of making money im sure you would be glad of this job... majority of people on this thread are just snobs and look down there noses at people.

And there isn't just foregin people doing i have met a few irish people too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

I find them quite pointless, ... why pay a man to hand you a paper towel to dry your hands and offer you some cheap spray, while he tries to make small talk with you.... if they wanted to do something useful they could stand at your table 4 the night and bring you re fills of heineken when u are running empty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

In future: www.urbandictionary.com

For now: As Far As I Know.

Fair play ya smellyirishman. I taught afaik was "ithink" but pronounced with an east london accent. Close enough:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

If I take any deodarant or aftershave or even a mint, I tip. Otherwise, I just try to get out of the situation as quickly as possible. I find the whole thing rather akward. Plus, two paper towles is not nearly enough to dry your hands when wet! I'd feel the need to tip if I asked for more, so normally I just run like an extra in a Godzilla movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Steyr wrote:
    The boyo's in Galway all have the same answer when ya ask where they are from.......( Insert thick Nigerian/African Accent ) I am from Donegal man....:D :D:D:D

They must be mates of that guy who attended Jacks funeral on Father Ted.

Anyone know the way it works, like do they pay "rent" to the bar/club to be allowed to work the jacks? Take a large Dublin club like, say, Spirit, that holds something like 1400 odd people odd. IIRC there are 3 mens and 3 womens jacks, one in the basement, one near the dance music floor and one in VIP. The 3 male attendants serve toilets that, on a 50% average assumption, cater for 700 men per night, who might go 3 times. If we assume they give a average of 4 euro in a night, thats 2800 between 3 lads, close on a grand each. Fridays and Saturdays are packed out, so theyre making 2 grand on the big nights and maybe another 1000 combined Thursday and Sunday. 3000 per attendent in tips, surely the club must want a slice of this?

The ones who dont let you spray on your own annoy me, Ill tip if they let me blast 8 shots of CK White and another 6 of green joop :) Sex in a bottle that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

mr_disc wrote:
    I find them quite pointless, ... why pay a man to hand you a paper towel to dry your hands and offer you some cheap spray, while he tries to make small talk with you.... if they wanted to do something useful they could stand at your table 4 the night and bring you re fills of heineken when u are running empty :p
    Or just punch you in the throat all night for drinking Heineken in the first place ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Tallaght tightarses :D

tbh about 90% of people seem to give money. By 4 euro I meant that they would give 2 euro on 2 occasions.

edit- DaveMcGs post i was replying to disappeared, how rather odd........

shane86 wrote:
    Tallaght tightarses :D

tbh about 90% of people seem to give money. By 4 euro I meant that they would give 2 euro on 2 occasions.

jayzis I've rarely noticed people giving them money. Maybe a poll is in order :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devrozex

I don't really see the negatives to them tbh. If you don't want to give them anything just avoid them, but if you want a bit of CK1 or even a lollipop, they're handy to have around. Good to talk bollox to them when your drunk as well.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Even in Sligo now. It was a husand and wife where I worked, lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I bet they boil any money they get for at least half an hour in
    industrial strength detergent. Lots of guys will take a leak and then
    put their urine stained hands straight into their pockets to fish out some coin,
    then leave without washing their hands.
    Now that i think of it, i don't know where the coins i have in my
    pocket were either.
    Anyone know where i can get some industrial strength detergent?

shane86 wrote:

Yeah I deleted it cos I thought I misinterpreted the fella I was quoting's post :confused:

Actually whilst were on the subject, how far do these guys services extend beyond offering aftershave and making chitchat.?

For example would they wipe my arse for me after I had a good shít or lets say I was at the urinal I had just been handed a newspaper on the way in would it be out of line for me to ask him to hold onto the ol' lad for a second whilst I read the headlines? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

People are being quite nice here.

If there were white boys from Wexford, would you still like them? ;)

Personally they make me uncomfortable, but I don't blame then for trying to earn some cash. I tip them if I use their stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I like people because of their personality, not their race and nationality. How about you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

I like people because of their personality, not their race and nationality. How about you?

Ahh don't be PC. You know people wouldn't be so nice if they were white...

By the way, I couldn't give a damn about black / white, I just find the "niceness" here amusing. I know the After Hours folk are not normally so kind... :)

I too hate those crackers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I was out on Thursday night and there was plenty of handtowels at 8pm but at 9pm when the lass came on duty in the bathroom she stashed all the handtowels so if you wanted one you had to take one from her. That's just rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Pigman II wrote:
    Eh ok.

Toilet Attendant - Here, try this (hands me bottle of JPG)
    Me - Ah cool, sound man. I think I'll stick with this for the next year. Job well done sir, have two of my finest euros.

Where's the confusion?
    Pigman II wrote:
    So is this job something one needs qualificiations/experience for or are they just hiring people off the streets?

I'd hate to think I was getting advise on how to undermine my manliness from people who didn't know what they are talking about!

Actually whilst were on the subject, how far do these guys services extend beyond offering aftershave and making chitchat.?

For example would they wipe my arse for me after I had a good shít or lets say I was at the urinal I had just been handed a newspaper on the way in would it be out of line for me to ask him to hold onto the ol' lad for a second whilst I read the headlines?

You're mad you are. M-A-D.
    Its totally a Dublin Thing. I have NEVER once in my many years of urinating in Cork City Pub toilets seen one of these guys.....

Ah yes, if it isn't in Cork then it doesn't exist. Have come across them in Laois, Offaly, Westmeath, Waterford and Galway (I had to think about that btw, I don't keep lists of where I see attendants :))
    Total Scam, I agree with OP. I know how to wash my hands, and No I dont want any of your cheap poundshop aftershave!

I frown in their General Direction.

T.Sc.

Yes, much like the people selling The Evening Herald at traffic lights. TOTAL SCAM!! Who are they to try and sell us products when we may not want them?? Bakstards!

daiixi wrote:
    I was out on Thursday night and there was plenty of handtowels at 8pm but at 9pm when the lass came on duty in the bathroom she stashed all the handtowels so if you wanted one you had to take one from her. That's just rude.

No. That's enterprising. Rude would have been grabbing her boobs and drying your hands on them.

connundrum wrote:
    Toilet Attendant - Here, try this (hands me bottle of JPG)
    Me - Ah cool, sound man. I think I'll stick with this for the next year. Job well done sir, have two of my finest euros.

Where's the confusion?
    I'm not the one who sounds confused, but thanks for that little dialogue from your life anyway.
    You're mad you are. M-A-D.
    Uh-huh. Well coming from I'll take that as ... well as absolutely nothing whatsoever tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I don't know how effective they are in terms of 'policing' the toilets. A couple of years ago I was in a Dublin pub and there was a guy taking a crap in the urinal - kinda half sitting on it. The two cubicles were occupied at the time. Apparently he had the runs and couldn't wait.

The attendant did nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    I don't know how effective they are in terms of 'policing' the toilets. A couple of years ago I was in a Dublin pub and there was a guy taking a crap in the urinal - kinda half sitting on it. The two cubicles were occupied at the time. Apparently he had the runs and couldn't wait.

The attendant did nothing about it.

What's he supposed to do, stick his finger up the guy's bum to stop the stuff spewing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not a fan personally and would rather see them doing something else that does not involve watching bodily functions at work. In some of the pubs I have been in, their own area tends to be nice and clean while the rest of the toilet can turn into a cesspool. I find it demeaning for them and me - a throwback to a long dead era TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

ive spent 20 odd years trying to avoid male attention in the toilets, particularly those looking for payments afterwards so i dont see why i should encourage it now.

I just have to ask - where have you been or what have you been doing in toilets for the last 20 years that you had to fend off male attention?... and male attention that might need paying afterwards?!

Advertisement