Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet 'attendents' in Pubs and Clubs

Options
  • 03-11-2006 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

They annoy the hell out of me. I know how to wash my hands, I've only been doing it the past couple decades....whats the point of them?

They seem a bit over the top in up market restaurants....but in dirty temple bar bathrooms its just ridulous!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Degsy is circling this thread like a Great White. I can sense it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've never had a problem with these guys. Any of them that I've encountered have been extremely nice people, just trying to earn some cash I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Done to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

I never give them money, so they dont bother me much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I miss the Slate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The unnerve me a bit, but they're harmless. I never know am I expected to tip them, or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

yeah, heres a tip, go to college so u dont end up working in a toilet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Hello dupe!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think they should be banned as it sends out the wrong message about our "African-Irish" residents. How dare they be more enterprising than the native Irish dole-takers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

When one of them unzips me, holds my c0ck while i attend to business, shakes it 3 times, tucks it back in(on the correct side!) and zips me up again, then he can have a euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

<enter smart comment>

I like these guys, they're always on the ball with the smelly stuff - one of em turned me onto the fragrance I've been using for the last year so fair play to him!

If you don't wanna pay em attention then don't, I'm sure they're well used to being ignored anyways. On the scale of things I'd rather give them money than them thieving backstards who come round with the roses/flashy lights. Backstards :(

connundrum wrote:
    On the scale of things I'd rather give them money than them thieving backstards who come round with the roses/flashy lights. Backstards :(

They work on exactly the same premise, ie that you will be embarrassed into giving them something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The boyo's in Galway all have the same answer when ya ask where they are from.......( Insert thick Nigerian/African Accent ) I am from Donegal man....:D :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

wyndham wrote:
    They work on exactly the same premise, ie that you will be embarrassed into giving them something.

To be fair, they don't mystically appear in bathrooms, it's a management descision to pay a staff member to do the job. And in a lot of places they're really there to stop people taking drugs/drinking drinks they snuck in from the offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i ****ing hate them. not the people, theyre just trying to earn a graft. but the whole bloody premise of a servent in the jax.

ive spent 20 odd years trying to avoid male attention in the toilets, particularly those looking for payments afterwards so i dont see why i should encourage it now. i can understand in clubs where they double as scouts for security and can give em a heads up when someone passes out or starts a fight or something. but in your bog standard irish pub its beyond pretension. thankfully my local stopped it years ago. it actually puts me off going to certain pubs

fozzle wrote:
    To be fair, they don't mystically appear in bathrooms, it's a management descision to pay a staff member to do the job.

They don't get paid by the clubs afaik. Most of them couldn't be because they are of African/Romanian origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

The one in Radio City is cool :). I'd never pay them though, and their job seems quite pointless to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

does it happen in peoples local? I thought it was jut town or pubs in temple bar for security reasons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

yeah, heres a tip, go to college so u dont end up working in a toilet

Some of the immigrants doing menial jobs in Ireland, (maybe not these exactly), did go to college - we just don't let them work using their qualifications. Don't they teach you about stuff like that in college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Well I've only ever seen them in town, never in any of the local pubs. I can't see how people have a problem with them, its not as though they stick their hand out for payment and they don't react badly if you choose not to pay them. They're also great for security in the clubs/pubs and have probably made the bathrooms in clubs in town a safer place.
    Wyndham wrote:
    When one of them unzips me, holds my c0ck while i attend to business, shakes it 3 times, tucks it back in(on the correct side!) and zips me up again, then he can have a euro

You disgust me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

a mate of mine in the biz employs them and says they've paid for themselves because of a reduction in "slipped on a wet floor" compo artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Surely there are wesbites to cater for these kind of urges without you having to resort to engineering chance meetings in public toilets?
    wyndham wrote:
    When one of them unzips me, holds my c0ck while i attend to business, shakes it 3 times,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

wyndham wrote:
    They don't get paid by the clubs afaik. Most of them couldn't be because they are of African/Romanian origin.
    And Irish companies aren't allowed hire foreigners?
    I've done that job and I was payed by the bar, I've never heard of places hiring attendants in from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Just cos you start out working in a jax doesnt mean you wont end up successful. Look at George Michael. I believe he still tries his hand at it now and again, and will give you a good service for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's not something I really give a sh*t about, but I p*ss alot when I'm drinking, so I don't like thinking that the bloke is counting my visits ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

What does afaik mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Dun laoire wrote:
    What does afaik mean?

In future: www.urbandictionary.com

For now: As Far As I Know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Steyr wrote:
    The boyo's in Galway all have the same answer when ya ask where they are from.......( Insert thick Nigerian/African Accent ) I am from Donegal man....:D :D:D:D
    An Bearnas Mor ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'll pay them once, just once a night, and thats it. If i'm really drunk, i'll pay some more, but i do the first payment out of politeness.

They do make me feel really uncomfortable though, i can sympathise with others in this thread that feel the same way, i dunno what it is, but it triggers something in the back of my brain that says "This ain't right".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement