Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that work in the USA but never here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Wertz wrote:
    Free drinks refills in restaurants/cafés...yeah that'd be abused to f*ck, especially for soft drinks.

Agreed. Always thought that if they had the soda machines outside the counter in Maccers for free refills like they do in the US there would be a hosepipe running from it straight into the nearest flats complex. It may work in certain parts of the country, but not in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wertz wrote:
    The little change trays in corner stores for making up the odds on purchases (very handy, people leave their few cents change and it avoids splitting notes)...the tray would never get filled. Also the charity box people would have a fit...

They have/had that in Superquinn for a long time anyway - "Take a penny, leave a penny" it was called as far as I remember. Always saw it quite full...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay I stand corrected on that one...superquinn isn't my preferred supermarket experience...a lot more places should introduce it, since so many people seemingly throw away their coppers and it's hateful having to split large coins/notes for a pocketful of jinglies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Steyr wrote:
    As far as free refills on drinks go thats common place now in subway.

i dont go to subway anymore but when i did, a common sight was to see lads about to leave, going over to get a refill then taking a tiny sip and throwing the rest in the bin! such waste

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Pighead wrote:
    Hootie and The Blowfish.

They work for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Devrozex wrote:
    Don't think Bud Light would work over here, and its huge over there. Well, it might work in Kielys, but that would be about it.;)

we sell it in my off licence. and you're damned right, nobody buys it.

I think the main reason no light beer works over here is because the average punter thinks it's lower in alcohol rather than sugars....coors light only works cos they don't sell the normal coors here (pity too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Pighead wrote:
    Hootie and The Blowfish.

Coffee just came out my nose I laughed so hard. I am in your debt sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Wertz wrote:
    As for sticking with the legal drinking age, no, but the penalties if you get caught are a bit more a of a deterrent, so sh*t like running amok after too many bevvies just doesn't happen that much. They still have their mid-teens drinkers but it's more a case of robbing the liquor cabinet than asking some random idiot to buy them a 6 pack of WKD...

Not my experience of it - lived in the States for a year during my teens and found underage drinking just as common over there. Huge house parties with kegs were busted by cops who would just tell us all to **** off home and not even bother taking our beer off us, let alone taking names. It took a bit of planning to get someone to buy beer but we usually found that youthful uncles and older brothers/sisters would oblige pretty readily when we threw them a few extra dollars for their troubles.

I was down Texas way, where they really lay the law down on sh*t like that, dedicated police units (TABC), fines and court for people caught supplying minors (be they well meaning relatives, bar keeps or store workers)....that's not to say that stuff like what you're on about didn't go on, but it certainly didn't hold a candle to what goes on back here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

George Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

iFight wrote:
    Ice Tea would so work over here, it's lovely, just not available.

Just make your own. That's what most Americans do (Northerners prefer unsweetened, Southerners prefer sweetened). The bottled stuff sucks. As for the 21 drinking age; nobody in the States actually abides by that law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

we sell it in my off licence. and you're damned right, nobody buys it.

Too godamn dear .. thats why!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Superquinn still have the change trays but they are only ever full because they keep refilling them. I'm always seeing women customers emptying them into their purses, lol. Besides, people only throw change into them thinking they are for charity. They're a good idea but don't work that well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

Ruu wrote:
    As would 'all you can eat' restaurants, not a hope of working in Ireland. :)

As far as free refills on drinks go thats common place now in subway.

it was abused in dundalk we only get one now,they mark the cups :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Uhm.. I once saw a drive-through ATM machine over there. How odd..

There was (not sure if it's still there) a drive through atm on the n81 just past cornellscort, and I'm nearly sure there used to be one around East Wall.

Wertz wrote:
    The little change trays in corner stores for making up the odds on purchases (very handy, people leave their few cents change and it avoids splitting notes)...the tray would never get filled. Also the charity box people would have a fit...

Statoil have those.
    Ruu wrote:
    As would 'all you can eat' restaurants, not a hope of working in Ireland. :)

"Get that cnut of out here, hes been here all day!
    "Wait, wait I haven't had all I can eat yet!"

They work in the Uk, cant see why they wouldnt work here.

falipo wrote:
    it was abused in dundalk we only get one now,they mark the cups :(

Why am I not surprised...?

It's those 4 lantern's scallies ruining it for everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Lusty.. Im surprised at you,no way is the Wisconsin winter like Irelands
    I suppose not!

Dublin

Milwaukee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

ntfc

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote:

Oh something else that wouldn't work back here; driver's curfew, where drivers under 21 have to be off the road by 10 (IIRC)

Do they really?

But they allow 15 year olds to have a learner's license? :rolleyes:

Those golfing trousers ... whatever they are ...

*raps knuckles on wood*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Stekelly wrote:
    There was (not sure if it's still there) a drive through atm on the n81 just past cornellscort, and I'm nearly sure there used to be one around East Wall.
    AIB at the top of Baggot St. used to have one. Think its gone now, though.

TBH, the first thing I thought of when I read the title was "American cars".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

c - 13 wrote:
    Theyve got greeters in some Claires Accessories too. I dont like greeters, its a nice idea but make people feel uncomfortable.

in the shop i work in (a large nationwide company) we have greet staff when we fist notice them. it hardly ever happens though. we ignored the owner of the company one day as we didnt recognise him :0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

bluto63 wrote:
    I don't think it's done that bad.

What happened to Lucky Charms? Everyone I know wants them, why did they stop selling them here?

Probably already answered, but I'm obsessed with Lucky Charms. Their sugar content is higher than Ireland, and Europe allows. They were banned in 1996, I think. I was 8, and cried in Superquinn, 'Sorry, we don't stock them anymore, they got banned'.

They even coated the wheaty bits in chocolate too! There's a website in england, forget it atm that sells a box for about 10 including shipping....all sold out atm >_<

On that note, all really really bad-for-you food doesn't work here that works in America, because it's not allowed.

Mountain Dew.....

And there's an All-you-can eat in Lucan, by the way! A Chinese, Princess Gardens. The food is so good, big pity it's lukewarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Size XXXXXXL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Well, be looking across the pond to see if their "version" of democracy works during the mid-term election November 7. King George II's party (the Republicans), in addition to controlling the presidency and stuffing the Supreme Court with right wing hawks, have controlled both houses of Congress for a decade more or less. Now if the other large party (called the Democrats) wins a majority in either the US Senate (not likely) or the US House (likely), then you should see the gradual withdrawal of the US from Iraq and other overseas wars, as well as investigations into illegal wiretapping, illegal imprisonment in Cuba, and corruption by the King George II administration (especially with war contractors and oil interests). Oh, don't think that the Democrats are the good guys, but rather just a competing party that wants to make the other party look bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

And there's an All-you-can eat in Lucan, by the way! A Chinese, Princess Gardens. The food is so good, big pity it's lukewarm.

Mmm, love that place. Have not been in a few years though :(.

As per topic, Baseball.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

magick wrote:
    Store greeters , actually customer service in general .

I could just imagine it you walk into your local Dunnes Stores "ye hows it going lurve com on in!" or "alright bud theirs a sale on tracksuit pants!"

I went into Claires Accessories for a hair band the other day. A girl greeted me at the door asking if I wanted a basket, I smiled, kinda taken back... seeing as I'm a bloke and all and wasn't really going in for a browse... She then told me the earings were buy 2 get 1 free. Again, I'm a bloke and I don't have pierced ears.
    I picked out a plain hairband and took it to the register. The same girl decided she'd serve me at the till. "Would you like a pack of colouring markers? They'd be great for your kids.." I'm 20 for ****'s sake, I look about 17. I know some people have kids at 20 but it's not really something you assume now, is it?
    Paid for the band then she asked if I wanted to buy some kind of rubber for €1.50, some special price or whatnot. At this point I just looked at this girl and told her that €1.50 was actually really quite pricey for a rubber, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Probably already answered, but I'm obsessed with Lucky Charms. Their sugar content is higher than Ireland, and Europe allows. They were banned in 1996, I think. I was 8, and cried in Superquinn, 'Sorry, we don't stock them anymore, they got banned'.

They even coated the wheaty bits in chocolate too! There's a website in england, forget it atm that sells a box for about 10 including shipping....all sold out atm >_<

On that note, all really really bad-for-you food doesn't work here that works in America, because it's not allowed.

Mountain Dew.....

Ah will have to try that when I get home so, see how it measures up! If you are that stuck for Lucky Charms, let me know. I hate the bloody things. :)

Advertisement