Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grunge recommendations?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

here is a tip never ever ever try to encorage someone to check out a band by comparing them to aslan. Its like a politition running for election under the banner im quite like Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

here is a tip never ever ever try to encorage someone to check out a band by comparing them to aslan. Its like a politition running for election under the banner im quite like Hitler

I hear ya, believe me I hear ya!!!!!........

....I was talking about the situation where a band is totally overshadowed by another band from the same city, period etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Muzzy wrote:
    I hear ya, believe me I hear ya!!!!!........

....I was talking about the situation where a band is totally overshadowed by another band from the same city, period etc.

well then The Blades would have been a far better reference
    anyway back to the topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I didn't say I was going to commit myself to some institution of perpetual Grunge music for the rest of my life,I just said I was in the mood for some Grunge and I was wondering what the best grunge music was to listen to in this particular mood!
    I hears ya.

I dunno though, is 'Grunge' really a sound/genre, or was it just something invented by the media and clothes designers?

It's normal for bands in the same town to hang out and get tagged for being some 'scene' or other.

Tellin' ya, Pussy Galore, 'Dial 'M' for Motherfu*cker' and their Einsturzende Neubauten cover EP. 'Mazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Can someone define grunge? The term confuses me. Is it a style of music or any band from Seattle in the 90s?

The style of music is being in a band from Seattle in the 90s.

For me, grunge was always about bands that played music somewhere between heavy metal and pop and whose singers were often young, sensitive men who were also articulate and intelligent and didn't shy away from being so in their songs.

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote:

For me, grunge was always about bands that played music somewhere between heavy metal and pop and whose singers were often young, sensitive men who were also articulate and intelligent and didn't shy away from being so in their songs.
    Sounds more like Emo to me. The good emo, not the bad, bad emo.

I dont care what 'grungs' is, just the bands I like.

Maybe I don't know any good emo, but I would regard emo singers as inarticulate, which is why most of their stuff comes off as whiney and immature. Cobain, Vedder, Weiland and Cornell were all far more subtle than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

Earthhorse wrote:

I don't think anyone could claim that Mudhoney were particularly sensitive. Unless I've seriously misinterpreted what Here Comes Sickness, Flat Out F**ked and This Gift are about.

What about Puddle Of Mudd. Hahaha.

Hence the disclaimer "for me". I wouldn't claim that all bands on the scene fit the description I gave.

And what about Puddle of Mudd? They came along about 10 years after grunge and really have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

DadaKopf wrote:
    I dunno though, is 'Grunge' really a sound/genre, or was it just something invented by the media and clothes designers?

Heh, yeah, that's pretty much how I see it now too. Just a tag the media used to define what they percieved as the music and culture of the "next generation". But whatever, some good recommendations. Dunno if there's many more, the "grunge" scene didn't exactly last very long! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

What about superchunk or the might sebadoh, good to see quite a few posters mention alice in chains such a sadly missed band. Dirt, jar of flies and unplugged were all amazing and of course the mad season cd is the business too. Would have loved to have seen them when they played Ireland years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

whats the general opinion on the grunge 'supergroups'?

mad season contained
    layne staley of alice in chains
    mike mc cready of pearl jam
    barrett matin and mike lanagan of screaming trees

Temple of the Dog contained
    Chris Cornell of Soundgarden
    Stone Gossard of Mother Love Bone and Pearl Jam
    Jeff Ament of Mother Love Bone and Pearl Jam
    Matt Cameron of Soundgarden (and, later, Pearl Jam)
    Mike McCready of Pearl Jam
    Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam

Earthhorse wrote:
    Maybe I don't know any good emo, but I would regard emo singers as inarticulate, which is why most of their stuff comes off as whiney and immature. Cobain, Vedder, Weiland and Cornell were all far more subtle than that.
    Emo like... Fugazi. Not like, I dunno, Blink182 or whatever. Heh.

Could never stand stand Cornell or anything he touched, and could only ever take so much of Vedder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VCK

Goodshape wrote:
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream.

You know you want to.

**** yeah! *High fives Goodshape*

Such a magnificent album.

Anyway, here are some kickarse Grunge/Grunge-type bands:

Dinosaur Jr
    Soundgarden
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Sonic Youth
    Pavement
    Silverchair
    Bush (Looked down upon but I like them)
    The Lemonheads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

Afghan Whigs get lumped in with grunge cos they were on Sub Pop but I don't see it myself. Good band though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Earthhorse wrote:
    singers were often young, sensitive men who were also articulate and intelligent and didn't shy away from being so in their songs.

Some lyricists were brilliant (Corgan and Cornell in particular and to be fair, Cobain was great also) but a lot were just ok by all standards. I hate to say this, but Grunge kind of was emo of it's day. The 'spokesman' killed himself for God's sake! (Or he was murdered, yada yada yada.) But definitely the music was better, there were clear differences between the music of different bands, imho, and there weren't any (if not 'any', too many instead) terrible lyrics like 'your tears don't fall, they crash all around me' *shudders* sung whinily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Pearl Jam "Ten" (i know it's been said but it needs to be heard)
    Bush "Razorblade Suitcase"
    Everclear "World Of Noise", the "White Trash Hell" EP and the first few tracks on "Sparkle And Fade", after which point they went all non-grungy, and sort of 'pussy rock' for want of a better term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

I would have to suggest (providing of course no one else did) listening to a band called Radish. They were around in the late ninties, only one album that I know of, maybe more. Their music doesn't seem to imitate much of the other bands of the time. When it was released the drummer was a forty something year old and the lead singer was seventeen. Has to be heard.
    Ouldscratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

Little Pink Stars. That was the name of the fecking album. Sorry Couldn't remember it earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Some picks, grunge proto grunge post grunge whatever.

Husker Du Zen Arcade era.

I hate to get into a genre war but Husker Du were never grunge, they were always punk!;)

But as for grunge... I'd defintly check out Sebadoh and Dinosaur Jr, even though they weren't strictly grunge i'd still recomend them.

There's also some other bands such as the good early emo bands like Embrace, Gray Matter, Rites of Spring and Agent Orange that you grunge folks may take an interest in..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I hate to get into a genre war but Husker Du were never grunge, they were always punk!;)
    But as for grunge... I'd defintly check out Sebadoh and Dinosaur Jr, even though they weren't strictly grunge i'd still recomend them.

Lol, slight contradiction there. "grunge" doesn't really exist as a concrete style of music tbh. This thread is really "Late 80s/Early 90s Alternative Rock/Punk Recommendations" tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Lol, slight contradiction there. "grunge" doesn't really exist as a concrete style of music tbh. This thread is really "Late 80s/Early 90s Alternative Rock/Punk Recommendations" tbh

Yeah, i was roffling at my post even before i posted it but wasn't too bothered to fix it. I just hate seeing Husker Du labelled as grunge. d:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

They say Flip Your Wig could have done what Nevermind did if it had been released on a major label....

Grunge is such a shítty industry buzzword, it doesn't REALLY mean anything.

Advertisement