Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grunge recommendations?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

Anyone with sense. Hole are a joke of a band. They are absolutely ****ing awful. Truly horrendous. Less a band and more a post-grunge fart these days.
    You've got nothing of any interest to contribute here so why not sod off like a good chap.

I forgot about Helmet. Deadly if you like Black Sabbathy stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

- Silverchair's "Frogstomp"
    - Stone Temple Pilots "Core", "Plush", "Unplugged"
    - Pearl Jam "Unplugged"
    - Nirvana "Unplugged"

plus a few more... after than the rest just tinkers out into noise... grunge, the soundtrack of my teenage years :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭SueL

sonic juice & co., you should all check out 50 Foot Wave, the new band fronted by Kristin Hersh (of Throwing Muses). Absolutely brilliant if you ask me ;)

www.50footwave.com

www.throwingmusic.com

Go to the Free Music section of the site and have a listen!

Hope you enjoy!

sueL xx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

BossArky wrote:
    - Stone Temple Pilots "Core", "Plush", "Unplugged"

Plush is a single on their debut album, Core. Did you mean Purple? The STP Unplugged is an underrated gem, even if it is a little short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

You've got nothing of any interest to contribute here so why not sod off like a good chap.
    Pointing out the ****tiness of hole seems pretty interesting to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Can't forget Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Might not be pure grunge but its a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Alice In chains definitely gets my vote http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOuUmaj4KoM

Don't know if they count as grunge but give Failure a look
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty1f0hibkGk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

*BAMMMM*:D I like Hole. Courtney's a bitch but i still like Hole. Who doesn't think Doll Parts and Violet are great songs?

'Live through this' is pretty damn good. Very catchy, can get bored of it, but definitely worth a listen nevertheless.

Mudhoney are pretty basis, I think, tbh I've only heard Overblown, but if their other stuff is like that, then they're pretty bad.

For Grunge, Smashing Pumpkins up to Mellon Collie were pretty much there alright.

'Live through this' is pretty damn good. Very catchy, can get bored of it, but definitely worth a listen nevertheless.

Mudhoney are pretty basis, I think, tbh I've only heard Overblown, but if their other stuff is like that, then they're pretty bad.

For Grunge, Smashing Pumpkins up to Mellon Collie were pretty much there alright.
    Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff mini album and their eponymous first album are essential, definitive grunge. Their live shows were fantastic (until I saw them in 1992). I lost interest after that. I think they did too. Overblown's lyrics are about the death of the scene. But they were the antidote to the horrible jingly jangly baggy and shoegazing porridge that was big at the time.

• Advertisement

I'd shove My Bloody Valentine and Swervedriver in the grunge box too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I love My Bloody Valentine to bits, but most people find them very hard to get into. They'd be more brit-pop, but if you're into stuff like Air, or distortion, or weird sounds then you should get Loveless, most definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

im not one for getting fussy over genres but MBV were nowhere near grunge and quite a bit away from brit pop as well still a great band though.
    Personaly I think most "grunge" was muck but if you want to check out some stuff that influencd grunge try The Meat Puppets,The Jesus Lizard and Big Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

my bloody valentine are grunge? now way. has anyone said anything about blind melon? now they were a great seattle band.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Blind Melon weren't grunge and they weren't from Seattle, Shannon Hoon was from Indiana and Blind Melon was formed in LA.

Can someone define grunge? The term confuses me. Is it a style of music or any band from Seattle in the 90s?

im not one for getting fussy over genres but MBV were nowhere near grunge and quite a bit away from brit pop as well still a great band though.
    Personaly I think most "grunge" was muck but if you want to check out some stuff that influencd grunge try The Meat Puppets,The Jesus Lizard and Big Black
    MBV used heavy bass, riffs and fuzz and rocked hard, especially early stuff which predated the Seattle bands. Loudest band I've ever seen play. I don't really like getting fussy over genres either since they tend to overlap all over the place. I think it's far more interesting to find out what bands' influences are. But the mighty Big Black? Punky industrial stuff in a league of their own I would've thought. They used a drum machine after all. I read a funny interview with Steve Albini once where he said he kept getting approached by hair metal bands who wanted him to make them grunge. He produced Bush didn't he. Anyway I'll throw in Shellac and 80s Matchbox B-Line Disaster.

Has anyone said Husker Du yet?

And MC5 and Iggy and The Stooges (hilarious commentary there). Kurt Cobain loved The Wipers who were a great sort of surf punk band. Mudhoney liked Oi punk and early Wire. Rush were also a big influence I believe, on Husker Du and The Pixies at least.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Has anyone said Husker Du yet?
    Yep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Love that band, they're definitely worth a look if you like the song above ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

alice in chains- some may disagree with me on them being grunge though
    blind melon- some of their earlier stuff was heavier and grungy, try the song dumptruck
    green river- supposedly the founders of grunge
    hole-....yea
    L7
    the melvins
    pearl jam
    screaming trees
    soundgarden
    temple of the dog
    mad season
    malfunkshun
    love battery
    TAD
    Paw
    tripping daisy
    mother love bone
    butthole surfers
    candlebox

then theres some post-grunge stuff that you might like....
    bush
    quicksand
    silverchair
    stone temple pilots.

oh yea and jerry cantrell, chris cornell have some solo stuff too.

hope its a help to you!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Earthhorse wrote:
    Plush is a single on their debut album, Core. Did you mean Purple? The STP Unplugged is an underrated gem, even if it is a little short.

Yeah good catch, I meant Purple.

And MC5 and Iggy and The Stooges (hilarious commentary there). Kurt Cobain loved The Wipers who were a great sort of surf punk band. Mudhoney liked Oi punk and early Wire. Rush were also a big influence I believe, on Husker Du and The Pixies at least.

well if your going to mention wire you may as well mention Gang of Four long before the current crop of post punk revivalists were ripping them of there were influencing a massive amount of bands particularly im america dispite being from leeds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I really don't like Kurt Cobain's music (barring his work with Melvins on Houdini and with Earth on Extra-Capsular Extraction) but I remember some magazine (probably the enemy) printed his personal top 50 albums and there were some cracking bands in there.

he did have decent taste even if I agree nirvana were overated(not total muck mind) he was also a big fan of the raincoats who are probaboly my favorite girl band of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

I hated and couldn't stand Nirvana's album 'Nevermind' ,but I loved 'In Utero',thought it was a masterpiece.

well if your going to mention wire you may as well mention Gang of Four long before the current crop of post punk revivalists were ripping them of there were influencing a massive amount of bands particularly im america dispite being from leeds
    I was thinking of Gang Of Four (and many other bands) but where do you draw the line? Anyway check out Squirrel Bait. There's a band that should have got more credit.
    he did have decent taste even if I agree nirvana were overated(not total muck mind) he was also a big fan of the raincoats who are probaboly my favorite girl band of all time
    Yeah, what I particularly liked about Kurt Cobain was his humility, he always went out of his way to namecheck and promote bands that he loved.

Kurt Cobain had great taste in music. He is directly responsible for my love of the Meat Puppets and the Pixies and hence indirectly responsible for my love ooof Soonic Yoth, Dinosaur Jr. Husker Du, other SST bands etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Marcy Playground, early 90's they were like Aslan in the sense that U2 took all the fame, Marcy Playground never got the chance to "Blossom" because they came out at the same time as Nirvana.

They are kinda chilled out, but defnitly worth a listen, here's their best known tune, Sex and Candy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=knJdFs0CqYc

Advertisement