Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grunge recommendations?

Options
  • 15-10-2006 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for grunge bands,besides Nirvana and Mudhoney.I'm in the mood for some grunge:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

pixies? velvet underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream.

You know you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Alice in Chains - Dirt ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

L7- smell the magic
    babes in toyland - nemeister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Tad!

But seriously, never listen to Tad. Awful band.

I'm not a grunge fan at all, and Dinosaur Jr. aren't really 'grunge' per se, but most grunge fans like them. So that's my recommendation.

Stay away from Willard too. Disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

Soundgarden of course!!!

Great band,the above suggestions are all good too,esp Babes in Toyland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
    Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

Can't go wrong with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

First time I've seen Velvet Underground referred to as "grunge".....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

First time I've seen Velvet Underground referred to as "grunge".....

I think by the fact he mentioned Pixies too that the OP should avoid grunge and go straight the classics.

Not a grunge band but without them there would probably not be a Seattle scene as we knew it: Melvins Houdini, Bullhead and Lysol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

screaming trees 'dust'. nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭-Lithium-

Pearl Jam, my favourite grunge band. Start with the first album, "Ten" and work your way through in the right order. Very enjoyable.

Soundgarden, as mentioned above. Class band, but possibly the dullest of the big four. Took me a bit longer to get into them but they're great.

Alice in Chains - Very grungy. Very good.

While the Smashing Pumpkins aren't grunge by definition, they are not far off. If Corgan had Seattle roots they'd have been classed as grunge. Try them. You'd be mad not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

I have ten,yeah that's a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭-Lithium-

The next Pearl Jam album after "Ten" - it's called "Vs." - is great. Supposedly their most political album too, if you care about that kind of stuff. Either way, it's a great album. Sounds great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

-Lithium- wrote:
    While the Smashing Pumpkins aren't grunge by definition,
    In fairness, you could say the same about a lot of Pearl Jam's stuff, which is really just modern rock rather than "grunge"

Grunge isn't really a genre in a musical sense anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

-Lithium- wrote:
    While the Smashing Pumpkins aren't grunge by definition, they are not far off. If Corgan had Seattle roots they'd have been classed as grunge.

Smashing Pumkins put out there first or second single on sub pop so they have definite associations with the early 90's grunge movement......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No. 4 the stone temple pilots?
    And why in the **** are mudhoney so famous? They su-hu-huck and always have. Go with the mtv unplugged alice in chains album. Puts me to sleep but all my friends love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Hows about Mother Love Bone?

Anyway, why 'Grunge'? How about other things that sound deadly in the same way, like Pussy Galore and that whole Washington DC 'Pig F*ck' scene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

I loves grunge me.

I'll not bother listing the classics (dirt, superunknown etc), since most with even a fleeting interest will already have them. Try these albums:
    Melvins - Houdini/Stoner Witch/Stag
    Soundgarden - Ultramega OK (their debut, and it's awesome. Whatever you do don't buy it in HMV as it's 30euro,get it off ebay for a dollar instead)
    STP - No. 4 (Their best album imo, not a huge fan but this is really good)
    Screaming Trees - Dust
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish/Siamese Dream (not grunge per se but essential albums from that era)
    Temple of the Dog - temple of the Dog (brilliant album this, features the full Pearl Jam band minus vedder with Chris Cornell on vocals. Check out the song 'Hunger Strike', which includes Vedder on guest vocals)
    Mother Love Bone - Apple (Pearl Jam previous band with Andrew Wood on vocals)
    Mad Season - Above (features Layne Staley of AIC and Mike McCready of Pearl Jam)
    Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff/Early Singles

These should get you going :)

DadaKopf wrote:
    Hows about Mother Love Bone?

Anyway, why 'Grunge'? How about other things that sound deadly in the same way, like Pussy Galore and that whole Washington DC 'Pig F*ck' scene?

I didn't say I was going to commit myself to some institution of perpetual Grunge music for the rest of my life,I just said I was in the mood for some Grunge and I was wondering what the best grunge music was to listen to in this particular mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Alice in Chains would be my personal favourite, SAP, Jar of Flies, Dirt or Alice in Chains, all these are great rockin' grunge album, but they sound way better than the other so-called grunge bands. Their unplugged album is one of the best acoustic albums ever.
    Also Mad Season - a kind of grunge super group, very good album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

Earthhorse wrote:
    Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
    Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

Can't go wrong with them.
    In fairness, they were mtv/radio friendly AOR groups that major labels picked up on and pushed after the hype that exciting small venue live shows and good cheaply recorded records from bands like Mudhoney, and Nirvana generated between around 1988 and 1991.

Some picks, grunge proto grunge post grunge whatever.

Mudhoney
    Soul Asylum before they were ****.
    Quicksand
    Babes In Toyland
    Husker Du Zen Arcade era.
    The Replacements
    Hole - she's a nutter but the band rocks.
    Screaming Trees
    Jesus Lizard
    Tap!

Just reminded myself to go look for some Killdozer stuff.

Thanks I'll check them all out-I love the replacements 'Let it be' album,classic.

Who said hole? Someone reccommended hole!
    **SLAP**!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

In fairness, they were mtv/radio friendly AOR groups that major labels picked up on and pushed after the hype that exciting small venue live shows and good cheaply recorded records from bands like Mudhoney, and Nirvana generated between around 1988 and 1991.

They were still grunge and the two albums I recommended are stellar, which is really what the OP is looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

And why in the **** are mudhoney so famous? They su-hu-huck and always have.
    Dude, Mudhoney are the most grunge band of all time. Of course they can't play or sing but they wrote some great songs and albums and helped define the Seattle sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

why not buy 'goo' and 'dirty', sonic youth's answer to the whole grunge movement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

why not buy 'goo' and 'dirty', sonic youth's answer to the whole grunge movement?

i'd be more of a goo man myself on my 3rd copy of that album, started off when i was 13 with a copied tape upgraded to cd when i started working years later lol , recently upgraded to the delux double cd lol.

Not sure if its considered grunge but "slanted and enchanted" by pavement
    is up there with my all time favorites,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Who said hole? Someone reccommended hole!
    **SLAP**!
    *BAMMMM*:D I like Hole. Courtney's a bitch but i still like Hole. Who doesn't think Doll Parts and Violet are great songs?

Anyone with sense. Hole are a joke of a band. They are absolutely ****ing awful. Truly horrendous. Less a band and more a post-grunge fart these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Yeah i ****ing hate hole myself.

Advertisement