Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young girl is Raped - what should happen to the rapist?

Options
  • 26-09-2006 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

EDIT - I think my original thread could be upsetting to family and friends of the victim.

Hypothetcial situation may be best.

Imagine, a young girl is dragged up a lane way, beaten and raped.
    The Gardai manage to actually get the guy - he will maybe face 5 years, at a guess.

Now, the girl is your sister/daughter/girlfriend/friend/cousin etc, you know where the rapist is staying - or - you wait the 5 years till the guy is released - would you take the law into your own hands?
    Or leave it to the courts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well personally what I would do would involve a sledgehammer and his privates, but of course thats what I'd do and doesn't nessesarily mean its right.

KTRIC wrote:
    Well personally what I would do would involve a sledgehammer and his privates, but of course thats what I'd do and doesn't nessesarily mean its right.

Its one thing the saudis got right.Chopping off their manhood.Also has the bonus of them not being able to reproduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I don't think this thread does anyone any good...guess I'll report it, flame away guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Tie him down and introduce his genitals to a hungry rat.
    TK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

r3nu4l wrote:
    I don't think this thread does anyone any good...guess I'll report it, flame away guys.

Que? If its not doing you any good, don't involve yourself.

Why can't this be a thread for people to vent frustration with the apparent failings of the justice system in dealing with perpetrators of sex crimes? Why can't one vent frustration at those who actually commit sex crimes?

There isn't enough of a deterrent for scumbags who are prone to attacking people. Either we need a tougher judicial system or there will be an upsurge in vigilante attacks on these animals. Someone needs to be seen to be doing something, now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Its one thing the saudis got right.Chopping off their manhood.Also has the bonus of them not being able to reproduce.

I don't think the Saudi's actually do this, afaik, the penalty for rape is death. You might recall the two gay underage boys who were executed by hanging in Iran, apparently the formal charge was not homosexual activity but rape of a child. To reply to the OP, I wouldn't do anything until he is out of prison, as if he gets beaten to within an inch of his life, this will only be used by his legal team to try to reduce whatever sentence he will receive. If something like this happened to a relation of mine, I'd let everyone who lived within a one mile radius of his house know that they have a child rapist as a neighbour and I'd keep doing this no matter where the guy moved to.

TBH, I'm not condoning illegal activity but I would not be able to not take some action into my own hands in a situation such as this, I'd have to do something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Now, the girl is your sister/daughter/girlfriend/friend/cousin etc, you know where the rapist is staying - or - you wait the 5 years till the guy is released - would you take the law into your own hands?
    Or leave it to the courts?

If I knew the guy or where he lived I doubt I'd be able to stop myself from kicking the crap out of him. The justice system in this country is a joke and I probably wouldnt wait around for any lenient sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

connundrum wrote:
    Either we need a tougher judicial system or there will be an upsurge in vigilante attacks on these animals.

Actually, i sincerely doubt there will be an upsurge in vigilante attacks on anyone. And even if there are, then i sincerely doubt it will be the right people as it very rarely is.

connundrum wrote:

Why can't this be a thread for people to vent frustration with the apparent failings of the justice system in dealing with perpetrators of sex crimes? Why can't one vent frustration at those who actually commit sex crimes?

There isn't enough of a deterrent for scumbags who are prone to attacking people. Either we need a tougher judicial system or there will be an upsurge in vigilante attacks on these animals. Someone needs to be seen to be doing something, now.

yeah good point. It's not the perpetrators that should be the focus of anger, there is something wrong with the system, how about a 20 year compulsory sentence with no possibility of parole for rapists???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I have read thousands of 'rape' stories in the papers, and I never really stopped to think of what I would do if it happened to me, a family member or a friend.
    I always assumed that the courts probably doled out an adequate sentence.

However, I just realised, there is no such thing as an 'adequate sentence' - not for a sexual offence.

Rape damages the life of the victim forever, no matter how strong they are, it effects their future - their outlook, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

If they increase the sentence for rape they need to start sentencing women who falsely accuse men of rape which seems to be a past time now adays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Darragh29 wrote:
    the penalty for rape is death.
    Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Dragan wrote:
    Actually, i sincerely doubt there will be an upsurge in vigilante attacks on anyone. And even if there are, then i sincerely doubt it will be the right people as it very rarely is.

Hmmm.. maybe my comment was left in haste, but I genuinely do think that if the longer the situation is left as is, more and more people will be affected and eventually there will have to be an outcry or public acts which would probably include acts of violence against the accused. And yes, I do believe there will be innocent victims.

This is one thing that really gets my goat btw. The public acceptance of the laws as they stand, hell they were man made in the first place so why shouldn't we be able to change them? If we all agree that the judicial system is a pile of steamy stuff then why isn't it changing? General apathy is why.

/bangs head against wall more. :(
    bizmark wrote:
    If they increase the sentence for rape they need to start sentencing women who falsely accuse men of rape which seems to be a past time now adays.

Totally agree btw. A crime is a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

connundrum wrote:

[RANT]
    I won't go into my own reasons for disliking this thread but I will say that there is nothing wrong with constructive debate at all. Instead of people posting the usual 'castrate them and feed there balls to a dog' crap why not email your TD and local councillors with your protest against the stupidly leniant and insulting sentances that are being handed out?

If all you people are so against this type of sentancing then get off your arses and write to your TD instead of posting crap about hanging them by the balls or whatever, here :mad: I've written to my TD and anyone else who will listen but my voice alone isn't enough. If there is enough uproar things can change but until then posting on boards alone won't change anything! This thread and the suggestions here are an insult to anyone who understands the real trauma of rape.

Are you doing anything connundrum? Anyone else here doing anything or am I the only one?[/RANT]

Sorry about the rant but this kind of stuff really annoys me :):o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Rape damages the life of the victim forever, no matter how strong they are, it effects their future - their outlook, etc.
    People give rapists far too much power over them. It really isn't much different to any other form of physical assault... but our society has such hangups about sex that rape has gotten all this emotional baggage that comes along with it that makes it hard for the victim to cope.

r3nu4l wrote:
    [RANT]
    I won't go into my own reasons for disliking this thread but I will say that there is nothing wrong with constructive debate at all. Instead of people posting the usual 'castrate them and feed there balls to a dog' crap why not email your TD and local councillors with your protest against the stupidly leniant and insulting sentances that are being handed out?

If all you people are so against this type of sentancing then get off your arses and write to your TD instead of posting crap about hanging them by the balls or whatever, here :mad: I've written to my TD and anyone else who will listen but my voice alone isn't enough. If there is enough uproar things can change but until then posting on boards alone won't change anything! This thread and the suggestions here are an insult to anyone who understands the real trauma of rape.

Are you doing anything connundrum? Anyone else here doing anything or am I the only one?[/RANT]

Sorry about the rant but this kind of stuff really annoys me :):o

Ok, I take your point.
    If you don't mind, could you post part of your letter to your TD here, so that we can use it as a template, and email/post it to our own TD's?

People give rapists far too much power over them. It really isn't much different to any other form of physical assault... but our society has such hangups about sex that rape has gotten all this emotional baggage that comes along with it that makes it hard for the victim to cope.

Can't believe this, leaving aside the pure emotional wreck you would be in, what about the fear of HIV/AIDS & other STD's??? The fear of becoming pregnant with the father of your child being the guy who raped you??? Every future sexual contact you have with someone (it may be your boyfriend or husband), reminding you of the time you were raped??? FFS, this doesn't come remotely close to any form of physical assault, unless its a physical assault that leaves you in hospital...

I disagree with you.
    Sex to be is a very big deal, but not because of any hang up imposed by society, but because it is something that I consider to be a hugely intimate act that I would only want to share someone I loved.

I have only had sex with one person - I chose to wait - no one has the right to steal sex from me.

I would certainly not consider rape to be a crime that should carry the same weight and sentence as any other form of physical assault.

I think you are being hugely insensitive, and dismissive. At best, I think you are trolling for reaction.

Its a sad fact the upping the time spent in jail will very rarely do anything to drop the rate of a certain crime.

Jail is no longer something to be feared by most criminals, funnily enough except those who murder/rape kids or women. Most of these guys will go through a living hell on the inside. It's funny that the worst of criminals, those who we would assume have no real moral compass, will dish out a bit of "block c justice" to those that even they view as scum.

And for me, physical punishment at a judicial scale is taking a step back in time.

I say send them in and let the other criminals sort them out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

It really isn't much different to any other form of physical assault... but our society has such hangups about sex that rape has gotten all this emotional baggage that comes along with it that makes it hard for the victim to cope.

So your saying a child that is raped should just shrug off all this "emotional baggage" and get on with things as if he or she had just been slapped around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

The OP is talking about young girls which are most likely to be virgins so I doubt a young girl of 12 whos raped by a 30 year old man has got hangups that make it harder for her to cope. I know someone who was sexually abused as a young girl. She was a virgin and her attacker forcing himself inside her isn't exactly another form of physical assault.

Also we have to remember lots of young boys are sexually abused and raped too. Doubt they can just shrug off a man forcing himself inside them as being the same as a slap in the face.

Personally if anyone raped my son or daughter I would find it hard not to kill that person. I know its wrong that two wrongs dont make a right but I would find if very very hard to restrain myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

This topic could get very heated and nasty but I'll let it go for now, Mrs.D. I won't take any muppetry here (not directed at anyone), and don't want to distress anyone who may have/knows someone in this situation. Carry on people, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

Being sent to jail is NOT a punishment not any more. We can give out al we like about the laws but sending a known criminal into a prison system that will give him 3 square meals free gym access satellite TV Plasma screen for some lucky individuals I mean sweet jesus sounds like a holiday camp.

Just today I heard that if you wish to be reeducated in prison not a bad thing but you can get one on one classes with your tutor its just crap. You cant get that if you pay your own way through college.

Punishment should be punishing. Basic food NO luxuries and make the crooks do some work that is beneficial to the nation.

Ruu wrote:
    This topic could get very heated and nasty but I'll let it go for now, Mrs.D. I won't take any muppetry here (not directed at anyone), and don't want to distress anyone who may have/knows someone in this situation. Carry on people, thanks.

The key question is, can someone who rapes a child be rehabiliated back into society or is there something inherently evil about such a person that they are beyond rehabiliation??? This is only one part of the question though. Say it is possible to rehabiliate a child rapist so that they would not reoffend, would you be prepared to accept this person back into society??? Say you got a call to your door this morning, you open the door and there are two Gardai on your doorstep. They have come to tell you that a sex offender has just been released from prison and has moved in next door to you, but the assessment done on him prior to his release by experts indicates that he has been rehabiliated and is no longer a threat to children. What would you do???

Good question Darragh, for me, i'm a pretty permanent type of person. Mostly i give people one shot, and their actions at the time pretty much paint all the picture i need. I live my life by the same rules.

Now then, for me, if you do something so vile as to hurt a child, let alone engage in sexual activity with that child....well, that just makes you about as bad as a person can be in my book.

As such, on any level, you are sick, and should not be allowed near those who you might threaten again.

I would suggest the purchase of a large Island, funded by all the government of the world and this is where the rapist go.

Then let them all **** each other for all i care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would like to say I could forgive and forget it but the reality of things would be that I probably wouldn't be able to do so. I don't really give anyone second chances. It is also quite likely I would try and do something like take the law into my own hands which might make me feel better but probably not the victim to drag the issue up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreamcrusher

you cant just say '20 year mandatory sentence for rape!'. Its one of the worst crimes commitable by a human being in my opinion and any man who has pulled himself off a crying woman deserves to be punished, but alot of cases are difficult ot judge. Example i know of a friend who had been seeing a girl for maybe 2 weeks, but broke up with her. She told all her friends, and his, he raped her, just to get back at him because he dumped her. If shed gone to the cops hed be doing time all because he broke up with her, and she was a psycho.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think I see where this post is coming from. I don't know if you worded it wrongly about being no different to any other physical assault or if you honestly believe that, but it is vastly different.

However I can't stand the attitude that being raped changes your life forever. It will only do that if you let it. It is a horrible crime and anyone found guilty, beyond reasonable doubt of having committed it should be looking at a minimum 15 years for the first offence and life, meaning life, for the second.

But being raped does not have to change your life. You can go back to being the person you were. You can continue to have normal sexual relationships. You can go through most of your life without even thinking about it. But so many people are of the attitude that it changes your life forever and that just makes it harder for victims to get over it.

I'm not saying that it doesn't come back to you at times throughout your life, and often when you least want it to. But it will only ruin your life if you let it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://wwa.rte.ie/news/2003/1003/rape.html
    Rape convictions lowest in Europe

03 October 2003 22:49

A new study of rape statistics across 22 countries has revealed that Ireland has the lowest rate of conviction in reported cases of rape.

Details of the study were given at a conference in Dublin.

They show that only 1-2% of reported rape cases in Ireland result in a conviction.

The system needs to change and so does society.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote:
    However I can't stand the attitude that being raped changes your life forever. It will only do that if you let it.

But being raped does not have to change your life. You can go back to being the person you were.

Easier said than done. Just like any other form of pschological disorder, post traumatic stress is far more complicated than " you can do this ".

There is no real way of telling how any one individual can be affected by anything. I have seen things happen to people i know that have left them crushed, while other people who were in the very same situation with them were fine.

The human mind is unique, and while it is great to assume that as a person, we could deal with anything, the simple fact is that you never know until you have to deal with it.

It's not a matter of "letting something" ruin your life....it's a matter of you facing a true and very real test of mental strenght and emtional strenght, and you either get through it or you do not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement