Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tumblr_loxqjuCrVD1qg39ewo1_500.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-scientists-inorganic-life.html
    Scientists at the University of Glasgow say they have taken their first tentative steps towards creating 'life' from inorganic chemicals potentially defining the new area of 'inorganic biology'.

Professor Lee Cronin, Gardiner Chair of Chemistry in the College of Science and Engineering, and his team have demonstrated a new way of making inorganic-chemical-cells or iCHELLS.

Prof Cronin said: “All life on earth is based on organic biology (i.e. carbon in the form of amino acids, nucleotides, and sugars etc) but the inorganic world is considered to be inanimate.

“What we are trying do is create self-replicating, evolving inorganic cells that would essentially be alive. You could call it inorganic biology.”

BBC Radio4 has just made its entire collection of the In Our Time discussion/documentary available online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/in-our-time/podcasts/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I love it when a published paper is not only fully scientific but also biting social commentary on charlatans and liars who abuse statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Go F**k yourself if you don't find this interesting.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0915/breaking36.html

Hot water, shoft toilet paper and good dentishtry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ish a cry'n shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Ask Genghiz, he said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Malty_T wrote: »
    Go F**k yourself if you don't find this interesting.:D

Ahhh, pattern recognition overload!

Foo Fighters gig gets picketed by Westboro Baptist nutters.

Foo Fighters have a counter-protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

In 2008, BBC cameras filmed two Swedish sisters throwing themselves into traffic on the M6. When it was shown on BBC One, nearly 7 million viewers were glued to their screens, and millions more watched it later on YouTube.

The footage was shocking. One previewer wrote "On no account miss this documentary. It opens with what is perhaps the most extraordinary footage I've seen on TV".

But this amazing footage was only part of an even more incredible story, one which could not be told at the time for legal reasons.

Now, two years later, this documentary reveals the full story of the hours just before the cameras captured that motorway footage, and the even more chilling story of what happened over next 72 hours, which left one of the sisters fleeing the scene of a crime, after she had stabbed a man through the chest.

Those who were at the centre of this fascinating legal case, including the police and Crown prosecution service, reveal the complex issues involved in both bringing charges and taking this disturbing case to trial.

A leading criminal psychiatrist, Dr. Nigel Eastman, explains the difficulties the judicial system has in achieving justice and deciding punishment when dealing with mental illness. He explains the possible causes of the womens' behaviour, and why, in his view, it could happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Religious Belief Systems of Persons with High Functioning Autism
    This paper
    investigates the proposal that individual differences in belief
    will reflect cognitive processing styles, with high functioning
    autism being an extreme style that will predispose towards
    nonbelief (atheism and agnosticism)

While I'm sure Benford's Law has shown up here before, applying it to economic data to test for fraud within EU economic data is a new one, I believe:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-0475.2011.00542.x/abstract

The Greeks appear to have been cooking the books. The Germans found it out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Never heard of Benford's Law - took me a couple of read-thrus to figure it out, tbh!

Lucky nobody applied it to the results I cooked up for the Young Scientists exhibition circa 1990. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It never ceases to amaze me how bad people are at making **** up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

amacachi wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how bad people are at making **** up.
    I hope you're not referring to the results in my Young Scientist project...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Dades wrote: »

Billy%20-%20Creationist.jpg

I remember ages ago seeing some website for a creationist science fair. I'll see if I can find some of the projects, they were freaking hilarious...

EDIT: Found it! \o/

http://objectiveministries.org/creation/sciencefair.html

With such thought-provoking dissertations as "My Uncle Is A Man Named Steve (Not A Monkey)", "Women Were Designed For Homemaking", and my personal favourite, "Using Prayer To Microevolve Latent Antibiotic Resistance In Bacteria".

Further edit:

Actually, don't look around that site too much. It's depressing. Apparently reading The God Delusion causes suicide.:pac:

Further further edit: Curse you, Poe's Law! Cuuuuurrrrrse yooooooouuuuuu!

• Advertisement

Well piss. I suppose it's too late to claim I did it ironically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dades wrote: »

Obviously you were as good as the other speccy nerdy fucknuts at it that year. :pac:

Yes(*) :p

(*) though if it's any consolation, I remember being poe'd years ago by a very similar article...

Archbish says atheism is cool. Not sure if he's planning to chill himself.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8770929/Atheism-is-cool-says-Archbishop-Rowan-Williams.html

Still, he does say that his flock are "very average people".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-0475.2011.00542.x/abstract

The Greeks appear to have been cooking the books. The Germans found it out.

Benford's law seems to have been applied in 2011, with the benefit of hindsight?

recedite wrote: »
    Benford's law seems to have been applied in 2011, with the benefit of hindsight?
    Seems so. Unfortunately.

Though not everybody's so sloppy -- I understand that Bernie Madoff's fraud was Benford-compliant.

On the topic of fraud analysis, there were a few interesting analyses of "voting" pattens from the last Russian presidential election too. If memory serves, the distribution of the final digit of vote counts per constituency was highly non-random, containing low numbers of zeros, twos and fives (what you'd expect people to avoid if they wanted things to look 'random'), and that the final two digits was even more non-random. Also, above a certain percentage of participating voters, there was a roughly linear correlation between the percentage of registered voters who voted per constituency, and the number voting for Medvedev (ie, in those constituencies where more than some roughly constant percentage of registered voters "voted", the number who appeared to have voted for the incumbent was around 100%). Don't think this made it to Freakonomics, but it should.

Interesting new lead in the development of a AIDS/HIV vaccine.

Most of the paper is behind a paywall (although those of you in college shouldn't have much trouble getting the full version), and not many of the news stories about it actually mentioned the paper, but it's definitely there and not just some misrepresented overly enthusiastic story.

Ah, science. Dismantling God's punishments one plague at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Electoral Fraud in Russia: Vote Counts Analysis using
    Second-digit Mean Tests

This paper argues that Benford for elections is not really applicable The Irrelevance of Benford’s Law for Detecting Fraud in Elections

I have not read either of them yet though. What other methods of detecting voting fraud exist?

Advertisement