Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The "Infinite Monkey Cage" podcast with Brian Cox and Robin Ince is a nice mix of light comedy and various physics and other scienctific/political topics, you can download series 4 for free from the bbc website here. Something to listen to before bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

interesting to see where the USA is, all on it's own.

559.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

vibe666 wrote: »
    interesting to see where the USA is, all on it's own.

Yeah, a statistician might be tempted to conclude that the USA must be borrowing vast amounts of money to maintain its "income" level from more rational countries. And the more rational countries must be afraid to call in their loans for fear of what might happen if and when a well armed fundamentalist gets upset.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

In case anyone missed it the first (or second) time:
    Malty_T wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Thought this was an interesting blog post.
    The Invisible Big Kahuna

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Omentum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

A humpback whale gets caught in a fishing net; some folks free it; whale does backflips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Skip to 6:00

• Advertisement

And lastly, churches have lost millions of believers over the last twenty years:

http://www.barna.org/faith-spirituality/508-20-years-of-surveys-show-key-differences-in-the-faith-of-americas-men-and-women

Interestingly, more women than men are abandoning religion for the sweet shores of reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Do you think the numbers are changing, or that it's just a case of people being more willing to admit it these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Seems a lot of you-tube videos have appeared recently featuring apes running around on two legs with machetes, AK47s, or playing shoot em up playstation games. Mostly posted by this "apeswillrise" persona and with the "20th Century Fox" logo at bottom left corner of screen.
    Coincidence? Should be an entertaining enough movie though. Released today. (the movie that is, not the apes)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Continuing in the Ape vein, here's a video about baboons taking dogs as pets:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »

I was half expecting to read about how the Starship Enterprise's construction was going to begin. Finding antiprotons is cool, I guess, but that article leaps into a world of optimism that wouldn't go astray in CSI.

German guy develops flying machine:

I've actually been waiting two weeks to post this and even in that amount of time I still want one of these for Christmas.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was reading a piece about the Duggars, that "Quiverfull" family in the USA who believe in having as many children as possible. It's a review of their latest book, not really a religious piece, and focuses on the practicalities involved in raising that many children. One bit that caught my eye, though, was the question of education.

I know there are many Christian colleges in the USA, but I'd never heard of Verity Institute before. They're not an accredited institution: instead, they offer Christian students a controlled environment while studying by distance learning:
    Verity Institute exists to integrate God’s truth (“verity”) into every area of life and learning. Established in 2001, Verity Institute was founded to disciple college students to be faithful followers of Jesus Christ as they pursue higher education. Verity helps students avoid the pitfalls of traditional college campuses such as non-Christian professors, secular humanism, and loose campus morals. In our innovative, 21-month program, Verity students complete a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree through an outside, fully-accredited university at a fraction of traditional costs for higher education.
    (emphasis added)

I just thought that was hilarious - the idea that a Professor's religion (or lack thereof) carries more weight that his/her expertise in the subject being studied. If you're going to learn Calculus or Java programming, you have to learn it in a Christian way! That and the idea that "secular humanism" is a threat somehow. It's pretty clear to me that this kind of thinking is not for the benefit of students themselves, but for their parents instead, who can't trust their kids to maintain their religion after exposure to the real world.

It gets worse, though. An article in the New Yorker a while ago scared the bejesus (?) out of me. It was about Patrick Henry College, in Virginia. They are accredited, and aim to train the next generation of the US government so that it might be run on Christian principles, regardless of what the Constitution says. The scary part is that it's a self-sustaining cycle, with current congressmen recruiting staff directly from the same school. Again, we see the role of home-schooling parents in setting the whole thing up:
    Patrick Henry’s president, Michael Farris, is a lawyer and minister who has worked for Christian causes for decades. He founded the school after getting requests from two constituencies: homeschooling parents and conservative congressmen. The parents would ask him where they could find a Christian college with a “courtship” atmosphere, meaning one where dating is regulated and subject to parental approval. The congressmen asked him where they could find homeschoolers as interns and staffers, “which I took to be shorthand for ‘someone who shares my values,’ ” Farris said. “And I knew they didn’t want a fourteen-year-old kid.” So he set out to build what he calls the Evangelical Ivy League, and what the students call Harvard for Homeschoolers.
    In other words: we have people who will grow up with no exposure to the real world, study in a private college, go to work in politics for Christian lawmakers, and who may eventually be in a position to remake the US Government according to their cherished moralistic delusions. Their religion says one thing, the world says different ... so much for the world, eh? :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Posted this in astronomy but definitely going to post it here too. A lovely tour of NASA Goddard Space Flight Center:)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

bnt wrote: »
    In other words: we have people who will grow up with no exposure to the real world, study in a private college, go to work in politics for Christian lawmakers, and who may eventually be in a position to remake the US Government according to their cherished moralistic delusions. Their religion says one thing, the world says different ... so much for the world, eh? :eek:

Bit of a vicious circle... We're all doomed :(

Animal's genetic code re-engineered to include a 21st amino acid.

The piece mentions how they plan to do the same thing with its brain so that they can turn off/on individual neurons with lasers. How freaking cool is that?

The piece mentions how they plan to do the same thing with its brain so that they can turn off/on individual neurons with lasers. How freaking cool is that?

I just saw a documentary about something very similar I think the chimp was called Caesar but the documentary was incomplete and ended abruptly.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Admittedly cool, but it'd be cooler if it could turn on/off lazers with it's neurons. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Pushtrak wrote: »

That was pretty inspiring stuff. Beautifully put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Curiosity with Stephen Hawking. This was on Discovery Channel.

• Advertisement

Zebra Finches in Gay Marriage Shock!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/14479670

Normative fallacists don't know what to say.

Advertisement