Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That is so awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Interesting quotes from Rev Rob Stanier,
    "If it wants to be a secular school they need to be explicit about that, but if they want to have a Christian soul they should support it rather than shunt worship into an assembly hall."

So not only is the imaginary soul a now definite scientific given, it can also be broken into categories such as christian soul and perhaps devil soul and muslim soul and mormon soul and and and.....

At what point, or how long do you think it is reasonable for a person to listen to a religious person, before shouting out BULLSHOWER, you just made that stuff up?

Thought you had every app you ever needed? Well think again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1017/1224305921981.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

dmw07 wrote: »
    Thought you had every app you ever needed?
    That's one app that I'll never need :)

robindch wrote: »
    That's one app that I'll never need :)

You say that now, but wait until the updated version that comes with the prayer counter. You will know exactly how many treats god will give you at the end of the week. :D

• Advertisement

the prayer counter.
    God uses server push?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

robindch wrote: »
    God uses server push?

NO!
    All Gods servers have Free-Will installed as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

NO!
    All Gods servers have Free-Will installed as standard.

Why do I have the feeling that the software installed (by god) on these servers is proprietary ....
    I do know that our atheist servers are open-source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »

67% of all statistics are made up on the spot. 84% of people know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

67% of all statistics are made up on the spot. 84% of people know that.

Only ignorant fools with no knowledge of statistics and how to interpret them and use them properly say that.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Only ignorant fools with no knowledge of statistics and how to interpret them and use them properly say that.

:eek::eek:

It was a joke.

I work as a statistical analyst....

Perhaps i should signal my sarcasm in future :mad:

:eek::eek:

It was a joke.

Perhaps i should signal my sarcasm in future :mad:

Apologies, having one of those days . . :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

MaltyT pwn3d!!!!11 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

This looks pretty nerd-cool. It's a rough attempt at a holodeck using a kinect sensor. The most fun application would be the remote collaboration bit around 2:55 into it. If they can refine the resolution, it'd be cool for sign language imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Wanna hear Stephen Fry talk for an hour about language? Of course you do. Link.

Wanna hear Stephen Fry talk for an hour about language? Of course you do.
    He also does a series on BBC Radio 4, named Fry's English Delight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lv1k1/episodes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was watching Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy the other night and now I wish Stephen Fry could just narrate an encyclopaedia. I would buy the sh*t out of an encyclopaedia narrated by him.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the results are in. No challenge to the consensus as far as I can see, just a reaffirmation of it. Clearly these guys weren't independent enough.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

His denialism is bordeline religious, so perhaps I could make the case for including this in the funny side thread? :D

Eitherway this is a pure gem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Taken from the photos that shook the world thread...
    thebullkf wrote: »
    Photographer, Monica Szczupider.

178891.PNG

On September 23, 2008, Dorothy, a female chimpanzee in her late 40s, died of congestive heart failure. A maternal and beloved figure, Dorothy had spent eight years at Cameroon’s Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center, which houses and rehabilitates chimps victimized by habitat loss and the illegal African bushmeat trade.

After a hunter killed her mother, Dorothy was sold as a “mascot” to an amusement park in Cameroon. For the next 25 years she was tethered to the ground by a chain around her neck, taunted, teased, and taught to drink beer and smoke cigarettes for sport.

In May 2000 Dorothy—obese from poor diet and lack of exercise—was rescued and relocated along with ten other primates. As her health improved, her deep kindness surfaced. She mothered an orphaned chimp named Bouboule and became a close friend to many others, including Jacky, the group’s alpha male, and Nama, another amusement-park refugee.

Szczupider, who had been a volunteer at the center, told me: “Her presence, and loss, was palpable, and resonated throughout the group. The management at Sanaga-Yong opted to let Dorothy's chimpanzee family witness her burial, so that perhaps they would understand, in their own capacity, that Dorothy would not return. Some chimps displayed aggression while others barked in frustration. But perhaps the most stunning reaction was a recurring, almost tangible silence. If one knows chimpanzees, then one knows that [they] are not [usually] silent creatures."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

After Penn & Teller's Bullshit on recycling left me feeling pretty cynical about the whole thing, especially recycling plastic, I was glad to see this Ted Talk by MBA Polymers CEO Mike Biddle. He discusses the problems with recycling plastic and how his company has been going about solving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Malty_T wrote: »
    His denialism is bordeline religious, so perhaps I could make the case for including this in the funny side thread? :D

Eitherway this is a pure gem.

Have you heard this?

Up to rap news 9 are fantasmagorically unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Single-cell organisms about the size of your fist. How amazing is that?

http://news.mongabay.com/2011/1023-hance_xenophyophores.html

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Full article here: http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-supernovae-universe-expansion-understood-dark.html

Seems instead of coming up with some new complicated theory of dark energy and matter to explain the expansion of the universe seen from supernova data a Finnish team have reintrepreted the data with some new(old) maths and the accelerating universe problem went away:)
    The 2011 Nobel Prize in physics, awarded just a few weeks ago, went to research on the light from Type 1a supernovae, which shows that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. The well-known problem resulting from these observations is that this expansion seems to be occurring even faster than all known forms of energy could allow. While there is no shortage of proposed explanations – from dark energy to modified theories of gravity – it’s less common that someone questions the interpretation of the supernovae data itself.

In a new study, that’s what Arto Annila, Physics Professor at the University of Helsinki, is doing. The basis of his argument, which is published in a recent issue of the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, lies in the ever-changing way that light travels through an ever-evolving universe.
    As Annila explains, when a ray of light travels from a distant star to an observer’s telescope, it travels along the path that takes the least amount of time. This well-known physics principle is called Fermat’s principle or the principle of least time. Importantly, the quickest path is not always the straight path. Deviations from a straight path occur when light propagates through media of varying energy densities, such as when light bends due to refraction as it travels through a glass prism.
    Mathematically, the principle of least action has two different forms. Physicists almost always use the form that involves the so-called Lagrangian integrand, but Annila explains that this form can only determine paths within stationary surroundings. Since the expanding universe is an evolving system, he suggests that the original but less popular form, which was produced by the French mathematician Maupertuis, can more accurately determine the path of light from the distant supernovae.

At the end of the article they mention that their findings should be testable too from other experiments such as Gravity probe B. Yey for testing:)

Intelligent Design of "Cars".:D
    The program learns to build a car using an Intelligently Designed genetic algorithm. It starts with a population of 20 Intelligently randomly generated shapes with wheels and runs each one to see how far it goes. The cars that go the furthest reproduce to produce Intelligently Designed offspring for the next generation. The offspring combine the traits of the parents to hopefully produce better Intelligently Designed cars. Now with the button at the bottom left u can choose to input cars and different terrains. This lets people post their results and even design a car by hand.

:)
    Awesomeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

After Penn & Teller's Bullshit on recycling left me feeling pretty cynical about the whole thing, especially recycling plastic, I was glad to see this Ted Talk by MBA Polymers CEO Mike Biddle. He discusses the problems with recycling plastic and how his company has been going about solving them.

Gonna have to give this a watch later. Recycling never really added up for me and P&T just confirmed my suspicions. I only use my recycling bin for cans and when my general waste one is getting full (which is rare).

• Advertisement

2011-11-04 18:30-22:00

SCIENCE GALLERY TABLE QUIZ 2.0

What singer wrote 'She Blinded Me with Science'? How long before a Penrose pattern repeats? If our first table quiz left you with some unanswered questions, you're not alone. These, and other questions will be settled once and for all at the 2nd Science Gallery Table Quiz. Tables of 4 available for €40 and individual tickets are available as well.

http://www.sciencegallery.com/events/2011/11/science-gallery-table-quiz-20

Advertisement