Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

robindch wrote: »
    Behold the levitron:

COOOL.

Wonder do you have to have such large magnets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think the small one has to fit inside the ring of the bigger one, because magnetic flux blah blah...
    Anyway, I just tried it with two small ones and the spinning one kept flipping over (quite violently!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Has Kepler Discovered an Alien Megastructure?

At 1500 light years away we probably won't have any 'welcome to erf!'-type encounters, though. But still: wow, if true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    Has Kepler Discovered an Alien Megastructure?

At 1500 light years away we probably won't have any 'welcome to erf!'-type encounters, though. But still: wow, if true.
    On the other hand, whatever it is Kepler has spotted, it was 1500 years ago. It they had solar arrays in space then, by now they should have warp-drive vehicles, so they'll be along for a visit any day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

recedite wrote: »
    On the other hand, whatever it is Kepler has spotted, it was 1500 years ago. It they had solar arrays in space then, by now they should have warp-drive vehicles, so they'll be along for a visit any day now.

Or, being so far ahead of us, they've had their Second Coming already. Lucky bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Or, they are sufficiently technologically advanced to have established that warp-drive vehicles are impossible.

Or, they could get her if they wanted to, but they are sufficiently wise not to want to.

Or . . . they're already here!!! (Duhn -duhn- duhn!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

silverharp wrote: »
    Dawkins has weighed in here, I think he is right

http://gawker.com/priorities-confused-1731919698
    Its a clock that looks like a bomb.
    I don't think the kid bought it that way and disassembled it. I think he created it, so he's not a fraud.
    Dawkins could still be right in assessing the kid's motivation though. I suspect some mischievous intent, and if so, the authorities have played right into his hands. I'm guessing he's a hero among his classmates right now, and rightly so.. biggrin.png
    silverharp wrote: »
    it depends on the facts , so far the ones ive heard are that the clock didnt have a battery so had to be plugged in and thats what he did in his english class and set the alarm to go off. When he was challenged he went all passive aggressive and didnt ask his engineering teacher to vouch for him and he did all this on the first school day after "9/11".

we will see I guess
    Add to that that his mechanical engineering teacher warned him NOT to show it to other teachers as it would alarm them. So he had to plug it in, set the alarm, and have it in a pencil case that just happened to look like a briefcase with a timer, in his English class, which served zero purpose other than to gain attention.
    Plus his father is big into the idea of islamophobia in America. Add all this to it JUST happened on that particularly sensitive day and the kid went very quite when first questioned, never mentioned the ONLY teacher that would vouch for him, the engineering teacher.
    However the next day he had loads of info to share, after the arrest.
    I do think there is more to it than people are letting on.
    Saw that. Read some pages. Reactionary bull. Over the top sympathy.
    There are crackpots that make huge conspiracies out of this, they are problematic but these people come out with "false flag" this or "Islamic plot" that. However that does not mean ANY deviation from the story they like is (a) racist, (b) islamophobic or (c) some kind of cyberbullying.

The kid seemed to want a reaction. He is reportedly smart, whether he made the clock or simply dismantled a store bought one and put it in a mini brief case, at least that is what I have heard, but if so, why the crappy job, why plug it in during classes that were not the engineering class, after being told not to, because it could cause alarm, why have it beep constantly enough to draw attention. Why go quite when questioned. Why not call the engineering teacher to vouch for him. Why not waive the gag on the police records.

The arrest was unfortunate but he was arrested not for making a bomb, but for making a suspicious device that might cause alarm, which he failed to explain properly. Calling it a clock does not explain why he made it, brought it in in that condition, had it beep in class that had nothing to do with the subject, etc.

Also I don't know if you saw this video, tweeted by Dawkins, but it shows how much effort it took to make this "clock". 20 seconds.

Tricking MIT & Obama, but you guys seen right through it :cool:

This is all just so utterly unbelievable, I genuinely cannot believe a sane person can entertain this stuff. I hope it sinks in that places like MIT do not think along these same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

legspin wrote: »
    http://www.paviliontheatre.ie/events/view/an-evening-with-richard-dawkins

Going myself. Thought other folk here may be interested.

Bump.

For those. like me, who already have tickets (it's sold out) -

http://atheist.ie/events/event/an-evening-with-richard-dawkins-post-event-drinks/
    Richard Dawkins will be reading from his new book, the second part of his memoirs, ‘Brief Candle in the Dark: My Life in Science’ at the dlr Lexicon Library in Dun Laoghaire on Friday 30th October. This event is not being organised by Atheist Ireland and is now sold out.

However, Atheist Ireland are organising post-event drinks in the Kingston Hotel Dun Laoghaire and all are welcome to come along.

Took me ages to find the post quoted above, it should be in Upcoming Events really.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bump.

http://atheist.ie/events/event/an-evening-with-richard-dawkins-post-event-drinks/

Took me ages to find the post quoted above, it should be in Upcoming Events really.
    Whoa good thing you posted that thanks, I must have been half asleep when I booked it, it completely slipped my mind, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

The first post in A&A was made on 23rd November 2005

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054853767

A&A is nearly 10 - what's it getting for its birthday?

The forum request thread (started by Dades) is kinda funny too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=282465

"I don't see enough scope for a forum here to justify not just continuing to discuss it on the Philosophy forum or others where it turns out to be relevant."

Hah! :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,886 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm going to drop this bombshell off here, and run off. Just right here, like a baby in a basket, for some less tired A&A poster to pick up and have their mind blown (just not by your medusa wife or your guilt will make you flaccid)

http://jezebel.com/christian-website-advises-avoiding-wifes-face-if-shes-n-1738825759

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm going to drop this bombshell off here, and run off. Just right here, like a baby in a basket, for some less tired A&A poster to pick up and have their mind blown (just not by your medusa wife or your guilt will make you flaccid)

http://jezebel.com/christian-website-advises-avoiding-wifes-face-if-shes-n-1738825759

Oh. Sweet. Jesus. :eek: I have no more words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Bump.

Looking forward to this. Probably going to go for a bite beforehand. The pizza option mentioned earlier sounds good.

Should we have our own mini-meet or will we just tag on to the AI thing?

For anybody interested, I can book a table for Friday evening at the Milano outlet just a few yards from the Pavilion Theatre - either post here or send me a PM just to confirm!

For anybody interested, I can book a table for Friday evening at the Milano outlet just a few yards from the Pavilion Theatre - either post here or send me a PM just to confirm!
    Good idea. Just let me check with Herself and see what plans she has.

Nice one, I'll be going with the other half so can you put us down for two seats, thanks.

That's a yes for two more from this quarter.

Grand, that's a table for seven then.

Anybody else? Let me know before lunchtime tomorrow!

And here's a retrospective on Martin Gardner who died five years ago:

https://vimeo.com/7176521

• Advertisement

I'll go. Always partial to a pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The forum request thread (started by Dades) is kinda funny too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=282465

"I don't see enough scope for a forum here to justify not just continuing to discuss it on the Philosophy forum or others where it turns out to be relevant."

Hah! :p

Shot down by a Mustard mod, eh? Heh

Grand, that's a table for seven then.

What time?

I'm aiming to be in Dun Laoghaire at about 6.30.

What time?
    The event is starting at 7:30 so I'll book for 6pm and people can arrive as they want to.

The event is starting at 7:30 so I'll book for 6pm and people can arrive as they want to.

Groovy. I may have an extra with me as well (endacl).

Jealous now, grrr. Whatever about Richard Dawkins, I'm not only missing Hawaiian pizza and a massive row over it with you lot, Dun Laoghaire is my home-town :( *sad face*.

Have a good one though :D

Just realised now that this is in the new library, not the Pavilion Theatre :o It looks very close by, though.

If we get there much before 6 we might drop into the 40 Foot for a sneaky ale ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Groovy. I may have an extra with me as well (endacl).
    If I get even the merest whiff of a pineapple at that table, I'm gone.

• Advertisement

If we get there much before 6 we might drop into the 40 Foot for a sneaky ale ;)

Operation Sneaky Ale under way :)

Advertisement