Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

He should have kept it under his hat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Igs are Out!

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34278595
    BBC wrote:
    Chemistry - Callum Ormonde (University of Western Australia) and colleagues, for inventing a chemical recipe to partially un-boil an egg.

Physics - Patricia Yang (Georgia Institute of Technology, US) and colleagues, for testing the biological principle that nearly all mammals empty their bladders in about 21 seconds (plus or minus 13 seconds).

Literature - Mark Dingemanse (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, The Netherlands) and colleagues, for discovering that the word "huh?" (or its equivalent) seems to exist in every human language - and for not being quite sure why.

Management - Gennaro Bernile (Singapore Management University) and colleagues, for discovering that many business leaders developed in childhood a fondness for risk-taking, when they experienced natural disasters (such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, and wildfires) that - for them - had no dire personal consequences.

Economics - The Bangkok Metropolitan Police (Thailand) for offering to pay policemen extra cash if the policemen refuse to take bribes.

Medicine - joint award: Hajime Kimata (Kimata Hajime Clinic, Japan) and also Jaroslava Durdiaková (Comenius University, Slovakia) and her collagues, for experiments to study the biomedical benefits or biomedical consequences of intense kissing (and other intimate, interpersonal activities).

Mathematics - Elisabeth Oberzaucher and Karl Grammer (University of Vienna, Austria) for trying to use mathematical techniques to determine whether and how Moulay Ismael the Bloodthirsty, the Sharifian Emperor of Morocco, managed, during the years from 1697 through 1727, to father 888 children.

Biology - Bruno Grossi (University of Chile) and colleagues, for observing that when you attach a weighted stick to the rear end of a chicken, the chicken then walks in a manner similar to that in which dinosaurs are thought to have walked.

Diagnostic medicine - Diallah Karim (Stoke Mandeville Hospital, UK) and colleagues, for determining that acute appendicitis can be accurately diagnosed by the amount of pain evident when the patient is driven over speed bumps.

Physiology and entomology - Awarded jointly to two individuals: Justin Schmidt (Southwest Biological Institute, US) for painstakingly creating the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, which rates the relative pain people feel when stung by various insects; and to Michael L. Smith (Cornell University, US), for carefully arranging for honey bees to sting him repeatedly on 25 different locations on his body, to learn which locations are the least painful (the skull, middle toe tip, and upper arm). and which are the most painful (the nostril, upper lip, and penis shaft).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

^^^

He let a bee sting him on the mickey for science?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    He let a bee sting him on the mickey for science?
    There are some people whose dedication you have to admire. But not replicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am trying to envision how the actual research into appendicitis and speed bumps was achieved.

Ambulance driver: 'We have a call to bring in a suspected appendix'
    Researcher (sitting in cafe waiting for the call): 'oh goody, can I come?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

robindch wrote: »
    There are some people whose dedication you have to admire. But not replicate.

Indeed. I note that the article specifies shaft, as opposed to other areas of the member, which presumably were also tested for comparison. I also presume he had to anger the bees in some way to provoke them to sting. :confused:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

looksee wrote: »
    I am trying to envision how the actual research into appendicitis and speed bumps was achieved.

I can (unfortunately) confirm that speed bumps (or, for that matter, driving through Tuam) have a similar effect on someone with a stent in their ureter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,883 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

robindch wrote: »
    National Geographic sells itself. To climate-change deniers, Rupert Murdoch and the general Fox News hivemind. Viewers are not happy.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/viewers-vow-boycott-after-rupert-murdoch-buys-natgeo-cash-triumphs-over-conservation-conscience/
    Saw that on Reddit the day after I renewed for a year, never again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I can (unfortunately) confirm that speed bumps (or, for that matter, driving through Tuam) have a similar effect on someone with a stent in their ureter :(

I can well believe that, but I bet you didn't have someone in the ambulance taking notes and asking on a scale of 1 - 10 how painful the last bump was. :(

• Advertisement

So in future instead of the doctor prodding your tummy if they think your appendix is on the fritz, will they sit you up straight and then wheel your trolley over a specially designed 'diagnostic course' :pac:

I thought that was the best one, you do have to admire the lateral thinking behind it, and it's actually potentially very useful :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

pauldla wrote: »
    Indeed. I note that the article specifies shaft, as opposed to other areas of the member, which presumably were also tested for comparison. I also presume he had to anger the bees in some way to provoke them to sting. :confused:

Maybe bees don't like blaxploitation soundtracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

'God With Us' on a Nazi belt buckle.

1069962.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

looksee wrote: »

Ambulance driver: 'We have a call to bring in a suspected appendix'
    Researcher (sitting in cafe waiting for the call): 'oh goody, can I come?'

It was Stoke Mandevile hospital, the run in to it is littered with speed bumps, both in the estates you need to drive through to get to the site and then in the hospital ground itself. According to an article I read about this they questioned patients on arrival. The speed bump test was a negative indicator, it worked really well for spotting what wasn't appendicitis. They found no cases where someone with appendicitis didn't feel pain on the speed bumps. So, if you had suspected appendicitis bit did not feel pain on the speed bumps then it wasn't appendicitis. Pain on the speed bumps was not a sufficient diagnostic tool to prove appendicitis, as there were other potential causes.

Actually a very cool study.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Eleven institutions collaborated on this awe-inspiring project: the tree displays the relationships between living things (2.3 million species of life–with creatures ranging from plants and microbes to dinosaurs and modern mammals) as they diverged from each other over a time span of 3.5 billion years.

tree-of-life1.jpg

More here: http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/2015/09/20/tree-life-evolution-interrelationships-3-5-billion-years/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dawkins has weighed in here, I think he is right

http://gawker.com/priorities-confused-1731919698

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

silverharp wrote: »
    Dawkins has weighed in here, I think he is right

http://gawker.com/priorities-confused-1731919698

Sorry....you what now?! He's right?! Dear jaysus on a bike...how many 14 yr olds do you know? Serious question.

My 14 yr old reckoned he'd invented the sandwich the other day. He argued his point thoroughly and nearly won. If it had have been a clock he'd "invented", I'd have fecking let him win. Dawkins comes across as the meanist spirited most pedantic aul curmudgeon that ever lived with his reaction. Speculating that the lad wanted to be arrested? HUGE, MASSIVE public relations disaster for him. When will that man ever learn? What a knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its a clock that looks like a bomb.
    I don't think the kid bought it that way and disassembled it. I think he created it, so he's not a fraud.
    Dawkins could still be right in assessing the kid's motivation though. I suspect some mischievous intent, and if so, the authorities have played right into his hands. I'm guessing he's a hero among his classmates right now, and rightly so.. :D

recedite wrote: »
    Its a clock that looks like a bomb.
    I don't think the kid bought it that way and disassembled it. I think he created it, so he's not a fraud.
    Dawkins could still be right in assessing the kid's motivation though. I suspect some mischievous intent, and if so, the authorities have played right into his hands. I'm guessing he's a hero among his classmates right now, and rightly so.. :D

Do we yet have a picture of the actual clock? Because as I recall, clock parts actually look quite messy outside of a manufactured box. I can make a bomb-looking item out of my youngest's makey-makey kit combined with his various robot thingies that still need soldering together, but I'm very sure I can't make a working clock. Really, if he was proud of his clock - why wouldn't he bring it to school and show teachers? My kid would be showing everyone from the bus driver to the canteen woman.

Can't we let the lad be a kid? The 'murican police took that away from him but we don't have to, and Richard Dawkins would have had a whole lot more sense not to as well. I actually don't think it's particularly classy to speculate on the boy's motivation or whether he meant it to look like a bomb.

Shrap wrote: »
    Sorry....you what now?! He's right?! Dear jaysus on a bike...how many 14 yr olds do you know? Serious question.

My 14 yr old reckoned he'd invented the sandwich the other day. He argued his point thoroughly and nearly won. If it had have been a clock he'd "invented", I'd have fecking let him win. Dawkins comes across as the meanist spirited most pedantic aul curmudgeon that ever lived with his reaction. Speculating that the lad wanted to be arrested? HUGE, MASSIVE public relations disaster for him. When will that man ever learn? What a knob.

it depends on the facts , so far the ones ive heard are that the clock didnt have a battery so had to be plugged in and thats what he did in his english class and set the alarm to go off. When he was challenged he went all passive aggressive and didnt ask his engineering teacher to vouch for him and he did all this on the first school day after "9/11".

we will see I guess

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    it depends on the facts , so far the ones ive heard are that the clock didnt have a battery so had to be plugged in and thats what he did in his english class and set the alarm to go off. When he was challenged he went all passive aggressive and didnt ask his engineering teacher to vouch for him and he did all this on the first school day after "9/11".

we will see I guess

Ooooh. I had seen none of that. Ok, yes a judgement call that maybe a clever 14 yr old could wind up an adult with. Will reserve judgement till I know more. Probably Dawkins should too though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

Ooooh. I had seen none of that. Ok, yes a judgement call that maybe a clever 14 yr old could wind up an adult with. Will reserve judgement till I know more. Probably Dawkins should too though :(

Add to that that his mechanical engineering teacher warned him NOT to show it to other teachers as it would alarm them. So he had to plug it in, set the alarm, and have it in a pencil case that just happened to look like a briefcase with a timer, in his English class, which served zero purpose other than to gain attention.
    Plus his father is big into the idea of islamophobia in America. Add all this to it JUST happened on that particularly sensitive day and the kid went very quite when first questioned, never mentioned the ONLY teacher that would vouch for him, the engineering teacher.
    However the next day he had loads of info to share, after the arrest.
    I do think there is more to it than people are letting on.

Add to that that his mechanical engineering teacher warned him NOT to show it to other teachers as it would alarm them. So he had to plug it in, set the alarm, and have it in a pencil case that just happened to look like a briefcase with a timer, in his English class, which served zero purpose other than to gain attention.
    Plus his father is big into the idea of islamophobia in America. Add all this to it JUST happened on that particularly sensitive day and the kid went very quite when first questioned, never mentioned the ONLY teacher that would vouch for him, the engineering teacher.
    However the next day he had loads of info to share, after the arrest.

Ah right. That should teach me to follow up on an initial story before opening my beak, but it probably won't :o

Ah right. That should teach me to follow up on an initial story before opening my beak, but it probably won't :o
    Don't beat yourself up, I was in the same position, I thought he was just doing his homework and was unfairly arrested.
    But it was not homework, or any assignment, at all. Just out of the blue, he turns up with a fake briefcase pencil case, possible countdown clock, that is set to go off in his English class, tied shut with a cord, because he admitted he did not want it to looking "too suspicious". Then when things go wrong, he acts completely surprised by the whole thing, keeps his mouth shut, acts cagey and his own sister (18) is there to photograph him in handcuffs, and they have hashtags set up immediately and his father is on the media circut.
    The police have said that the reporting is unbalanced but they cannot reveal more because of the student privacy rules, that the family could waiver, but they refuse to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Don't beat yourself up, I was in the same position, I thought he was just doing his homework and was unfairly arrested.
    But it was not homework, or any assignment, at all. Just out of the blue, he turns up with a fake briefcase pencil case, possible countdown clock, that is set to go off in his English class, tied shut with a cord, because he admitted he did not want it to looking "too suspicious". Then when things go wrong, he acts completely surprised by the whole thing, keeps his mouth shut, acts cagey and his own sister (18) is there to photograph him in handcuffs, and they have hashtags set up immediately and his father is on the media circut.
    The police have said that the reporting is unbalanced but they cannot reveal more because of the student privacy rules, that the family could waiver, but they refuse to.

In other news. I took the yellow cover off a banana and invented a piece of fruit. I wish I was still at school so I could show my teacher.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    In other news. I took the yellow cover off a banana and invented a piece of fruit. I wish I was still at school so I could show my teacher.

MrP
    MIT needs you to visit them asap. NASA would probably also be delighted to fund your trip to Mars. You deserve it all. Impressed. :)

MIT needs you to visit them asap. NASA would probably also be delighted to fund your trip to Mars. You deserve it all. Impressed. :)

In all fairness, a dumb priest never got a parish *.

*Oh, I've been wanting to use that phrase here for SUCH a long time!!

"Muhammad Syed is an ex-Muslim and President of the Ex-Muslims of North America. He spent a few minutes with Seth Andrews in conversation about his former faith."

• Advertisement

Indeed, but that didn't stop an AH thread appearing with 150+ posts ranting about how Dawkins is (and, somehow, therefore, atheists in general are) evil/nasty/wrong/arrogant as usual :rolleyes:

Advertisement