Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

Indeed, but that didn't stop an AH thread appearing with 150+ posts ranting about how Dawkins is (and, somehow, therefore, atheists in general are) evil/nasty/wrong/arrogant as usual :rolleyes:

Saw that. Read some pages. Reactionary bull. Over the top sympathy.
    There are crackpots that make huge conspiracies out of this, they are problematic but these people come out with "false flag" this or "Islamic plot" that. However that does not mean ANY deviation from the story they like is (a) racist, (b) islamophobic or (c) some kind of cyberbullying.

The kid seemed to want a reaction. He is reportedly smart, whether he made the clock or simply dismantled a store bought one and put it in a mini brief case, at least that is what I have heard, but if so, why the crappy job, why plug it in during classes that were not the engineering class, after being told not to, because it could cause alarm, why have it beep constantly enough to draw attention. Why go quite when questioned. Why not call the engineering teacher to vouch for him. Why not waive the gag on the police records.

The arrest was unfortunate but he was arrested not for making a bomb, but for making a suspicious device that might cause alarm, which he failed to explain properly. Calling it a clock does not explain why he made it, brought it in in that condition, had it beep in class that had nothing to do with the subject, etc.

Also I don't know if you saw this video, tweeted by Dawkins, but it shows how much effort it took to make this "clock". 20 seconds.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

If there's one thing my depressed, apathetic, nihilistic state has taught me, it's don't get too caught up in these stories. Usually the 'next big outrage' will come along and I'll say 'give it a week, and the tide will have turned 180 degrees...' I didn't even notice this one till it had passed me by, hit me from the other side..
    The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

(Now where's that video I saved and meant to watch, something to do with Kony...)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

If there's one thing my depressed, apathetic, nihilistic state has taught me, it's don't get too caught up in these stories. Usually the 'next big outrage' will come along and I'll say 'give it a week, and the tide will have turned 180 degrees...' I didn't even notice this one till it had passed me by, hit me from the other side..
    The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

(Now where's that video I saved and meant to watch, something to do with Kony...)

Stefan Molyneux did a good video on it too, basically what I already said. Take it or leave it, depending on how you feel about Stefan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Stefan Molyneux did a good video on it too, basically what I already said. Take it or leave it, depending on how you feel about Stefan.

I'll take option 3 and flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Add to that that his mechanical engineering teacher warned him NOT to show it to other teachers as it would alarm them. So he had to plug it in, set the alarm, and have it in a pencil case that just happened to look like a briefcase with a timer, in his English class, which served zero purpose other than to gain attention.
    Plus his father is big into the idea of islamophobia in America. Add all this to it JUST happened on that particularly sensitive day and the kid went very quite when first questioned, never mentioned the ONLY teacher that would vouch for him, the engineering teacher.
    However the next day he had loads of info to share, after the arrest.
    I do think there is more to it than people are letting on.
    NASA tshirt on him for the big day aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/09/23/his-take-on-the-church/

"There are three human acts of being born, creating life or making love and dying, and I think they are the three most important things you ever do and for each of these the Church has doctrine which would inspire you to fear all three of them

Hozier on The Meaning of Life with Gay Byrne on Sunday night on RTÉ One at 10.35pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Gay Byrne there sneakily trying to make it seem like the church position is very reasonable, while Hozier is being unreasonable.
    But denying (or hiding) the church position on original sin is a dishonest way of doing that.
    The Church has always held baptism to be "for the remission of sins", and, as mentioned in Catechism of the Catholic Church, infants too have traditionally been baptized, though not guilty of any actual personal sin. The sin that through baptism was remitted for them could only be original sin, with which they were connected by the very fact of being a human.
    The water used in baptism is part of a purification ritual, which actually involved total immersion in the water back in the early days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

recedite wrote: »
    Gay Byrne there sneakily trying to make it seem like the church position is very reasonable, .

yeah thought that myself, what gay was saying isn't the church's position at all.
    The baby is born out of sin in the church's eye's, it has to be cleaned from that sin by baptising it. Much like a women after birth had to be churched.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I really like the concept of that show, but I can only bring myself to watch it if someone I really really want to know about is on, all because gay is such a smarmy tosser. I'll watch the hozier one, the last one I could face was Stephen Fry and I can't actually remember watching any others. If any half decent interviewer done it I'd watch every week, eh, religiously!

I really like the concept of that show, but I can only bring myself to watch it if someone I really really want to know about is on, all because gay is such a smarmy tosser. I'll watch the hozier one, the last one I could face was Stephen Fry and I can't actually remember watching any others. If any half decent interviewer done it I'd watch every week, eh, religiously!

Also don't like the man, mainly because I think he's taking up a perfectly good job (or jobs) in RTE that others could have. He retired years ago...but yet he just won't go away.

He's 81 for feck sake, what fool wants to keep working until they are 81?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cabaal wrote: »
    Also don't like the man, mainly because I think he's taking up a perfectly good job (or jobs) in RTE that others could have. He retired years ago...but yet he just won't go away.

He's 81 for feck sake, what fool wants to keep working until they are 81?

Somebody who lost all their money by being ripped off, then 20 or 30 years later lost all the money they earned over that period by investing in some Bank.

(I can't stand the sight or sound of him, btw).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

robindch wrote: »
    Raising your children has lots of benefits. Lots.

Gosh, I dunno. Have been considering the benefits of giving them to someone else to raise could seriously outweigh the dubious benefits of raising them myself ;)

I might get to keep some of my face wrinkle free, for example. And maybe save a few hairs from the grey......

Shrap wrote: »
    Gosh, I dunno. Have been considering the benefits of giving them to someone else to raise could seriously outweigh the dubious benefits of raising them myself ;)
    Ah, the risks of posting to A+A in a hurry.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was thinkin' of the oul' traditional fattenin' for export meself.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lameusername

Ah, the risks of posting to A+A in a hurry.

:o
    They are many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I was thinkin' of the oul' traditional fattenin' for export meself.

Indeed, that is the path I have chosen. That and bringing them up godless heathens. Improves the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

silverharp wrote: »
    it depends on the facts , so far the ones ive heard are that the clock didnt have a battery so had to be plugged in and thats what he did in his english class and set the alarm to go off. When he was challenged he went all passive aggressive and didnt ask his engineering teacher to vouch for him and he did all this on the first school day after "9/11".

we will see I guess

363742.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

legspin wrote: »
    http://www.paviliontheatre.ie/events/view/an-evening-with-richard-dawkins

Going myself. Thought other folk here may be interested.
    I managed to get in before it sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

possible answer to life on Mars question

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-announce-mars-mystery-solved

Nature Geoscience has Embargoed Details until 11 a.m. EDT Sept. 28)

NASA will detail a major science finding from the agency’s ongoing exploration of Mars during a news briefing at 11:30 a.m. EDT on Monday, Sept. 28 at the James Webb Auditorium at NASA Headquarters in Washington. The event will be broadcast live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

News conference participants will be:

· Jim Green, director of planetary science at NASA Headquarters

· Michael Meyer, lead scientist for the Mars Exploration Program at NASA Headquarters

· Lujendra Ojha of the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta

· Mary Beth Wilhelm of NASA’s Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California and the Georgia Institute of Technology

· Alfred McEwen, principal investigator for the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) at the University of Arizona in Tucson

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

recedite wrote: »
    I managed to get in before it sold out.

I think that's five of us now

Plus three.

Pineapple-free pizza beforehand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

While the rest of the world encountered record high temperatures this year, the North Atlantic recorded record low temperatures: (excuse big image - but worth having in post)
    201501-201508.gif
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/09/24/why-some-scientists-are-worried-about-a-cold-blob-in-the-north-atlantic-ocean/

This was probably caused by the melting of glaciers in Greenland, disrupting ocean currents in the North Atlantic - which could threaten long-lasting/semi-permanent changes in climate, for northern European countries (Ireland particularly) - possibly to the point, of making our local climate cooler, as global 'warming' continues.

Pretty clear/dramatic evidence, of this long-suspected effect of global warming.

^^^

364032.JPG

silverharp wrote: »
    Probably just something to do with ancient water, good stuff but they really need to stop these "mystery reveal press conference at x o clock" announcements, they're well into crying wolf territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Plus three.

Pineapple-free pizza beforehand?

That's an idea.
    It's over quite early (as far as I can see anyway) so post-show drinkies are also an option.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thargor wrote: »
    Probably just something to do with ancient water...

Better: recent/current water. Which is a Pretty Big Deal.

There seems to be a Wetherspoon's there; they're always good for a real ale though the food is not the best.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Better: recent/current water. Which is a Pretty Big Deal.

Yeah pretty amazing stuff actually.

• Advertisement

Advertisement