Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

I have a quick question.

Yesterday I reached my protein goals from food and a protein supplement. Thing is I reached them by 6.pm. I then had an extremely hard training session at 7pm until 9pm.

Because I already reached my goals for the day does this mean I dont have to eat more protein after the training? I realise that went you eat too much protein it just comes out the other end but I also want to recover quickly.

I had a protein shake and a bit of dinner afterwards yesterday. Was this pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

deadybai wrote: »
    I have a quick question.

Yesterday I reached my protein goals from food and a protein supplement. Thing is I reached them by 6.pm. I then had an extremely hard training session at 7pm until 9pm.

Because I already reached my goals for the day does this mean I dont have to eat more protein after the training? I realise that went you eat too much protein it just comes out the other end but I also want to recover quickly.

I had a protein shake and a bit of dinner afterwards yesterday. Was this pointless?

The food you ate was still processing itself in your system long after you finished training so as long as you met the requirements that day, you had enough.

If you were hungry then no problem getting extra food in, but anything more than your protein requirements for that day is likely wasted as your body doesn't need it to repair your muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Bundle deals on MyProtein at the moment. (low fat, pre & post)

Ordered:
    MYPRE, Citrulline Malate 250g, L Glutamine 250 tablets, BCAA 250g for 40 quid.

Total was 91 euro and using the code PREM I got 50 quid off.

http://www.myprotein.com/byob/half-price-bundles.list?widget_id=98910

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

deadybai wrote: »
    I have a quick question.

Your body develops over weeks, months, and years. When you lift weights you trigger changes that will take days to resolve. What exactly you do on any given day isn't very important. Protein timing is a myth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's good oto hear because I am always hearing I need to consume protein within some magic window for 22% extra muscle etc, any good sources on this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That's good oto hear because I am always hearing I need to consume protein within some magic window for 22% extra muscle etc, any good sources on this stuff?

Danny Lennon addresses it specifically here, e.g. daily protein intake and timing/distribution etc. But in short, daily intake is most important. The others matter little.

He goes into nutrient timing with Mike Israetel here. There's a transcript for the latter as well if that's easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'm looking for. A good quality whey protein that about 50g carbs. Something to take after a hard workout. Anything I see on the shelves is all serious extreme mass gainer and I don't want that stuff.
    Or would I be better just adding dextrose to my whey protein shake?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm looking for. A good quality whey protein that about 50g carbs. Something to take after a hard workout. Anything I see on the shelves is all serious extreme mass gainer and I don't want that stuff.
    Or would I be better just adding dextrose to my whey protein shake?

Buy yourself some generic whey protein and add some oats to it. Alternatively if you want fast acting carbs then go with dextrose; it's really cheap anyway.

All these 'weight gainers' or 'protein+carbs powders' are the exact same as this; carbs are generally very cheap to source, yet companies add a good bit extra to the price vs an ordinary protein powder.

They're all just carbs and protein in a 2:1 (C : P) ratio so probably definitely worth making your own up.

Buy yourself some generic whey protein and add some oats to it. Alternatively if you want fast acting carbs then go with dextrose; it's really cheap anyway.

Sound thanks lads.
    I'd have no problem adding the oats, but I thought it was better to add high GI carb like dextrose?

• Advertisement

Sound thanks lads.
    I'd have no problem adding the oats, but I thought it was better to add high GI carb like dextrose?

It's up to you. The oats will leave you satiated for longer as they take longer to digest, but if you're struggling to gain weight or get calories in easily, then dextrose is probably better for you.

It's up to you. The oats will leave you satiated for longer as they take longer to digest, but if you're struggling to gain weight or get calories in easily, then dextrose is probably better for you.

Unfortunately at 36, gaining weight isn't a problem. Building muscle is a bit harder.
    I just thought that I was suppose to go high GI as it was better for repair and replacing glycegon
    When u say oats, do you mean something simple like porridge oats?

Unfortunately at 36, gaining weight isn't a problem. Building muscle is a bit harder.
    I just thought that I was suppose to go high GI as it was better for repair and replacing glycegon
    When u say oats, do you mean something simple like porridge oats?

In order to build muscle you need to gain weight; the trick is too gain enough to make some gains, but not too much that you're getting fat quickly.

I'm not a nutritionist or sports scientist, so I don't know the in's and out's of high/low GI carbs and such, but I don't think it makes a massive difference in the long run. All I know is that the oats will leave you more satiated for longer than the dextrose, so you'll be more likely to eat less calories with the oats than dextrose. If you're having little problem gaining weight as it is, then I don't see a point adding carbs to a post workout shake. I'm similar in that I gain weight easily, so I don't need extra carbs with a shake.

Yeah; try to look for the plainest version of oats in tesco which have no added sugar or flavourings as they're more processed. A 1kg bag is very cheap. Some people hate the lumpy feel of them, so you could try and put them in a blender and make a powder from them.

In order to build muscle you need to gain weight; the trick is too gain enough to make some gains, but not too much that you're getting fat quickly.

I'm not a nutritionist or sports scientist, so I don't know the in's and out's of high/low GI carbs and such, but I don't think it makes a massive difference in the long run. All I know is that the oats will leave you more satiated for longer than the dextrose, so you'll be more likely to eat less calories with the oats than dextrose. If you're having little problem gaining weight as it is, then I don't see a point adding carbs to a post workout shake. I'm similar in that I gain weight easily, so I don't need extra carbs with a shake.

Yeah; try to look for the plainest version of oats in tesco which have no added sugar or flavourings as they're more processed. A 1kg bag is very cheap. Some people hate the lumpy feel of them, so you could try and put them in a blender and make a powder from them.

I understand what your saying, but the point I'm trying to make is from the reading I've done online, the whole point of the high GI carbs was not about gaining weight but more for the repair of the muscle quicker. Maybe I picked it up wrong

I understand what your saying, but the point I'm trying to make is from the reading I've done online, the whole point of the high GI carbs was not about gaining weight but more for the repair of the muscle quicker. Maybe I picked it up wrong

You're reading into it too much. All carbs high or low GI = calories, if you eat too many calories you'll gain weight too fast and will get fatter. Protein and rest are the best remedies for repairing muscle; carbs are just a source of energy which can be burned quickly and are easy and cheap to source.

Like I said, I don't add any carbs to my protein shakes and I've made solid gains in my 2 years of lifting. Hell, I wouldn't even drink protein shakes if I didn't find them extremely convenient and cheap.

There's thousands of studies been done on sports nutrition, but the average lifter need only learn the basics if he/she just wants to build some muscle or get rid of some fat. It's a lot less complicated than it seems and there's an enormous amount of bs perpetuated by the supps industry with the aim of selling you as much of their stuff as possible.

Bcaa's.
    How important are they, and how does the quality differ, or does it?
    I've read chromium is a must in them or is that another marketing scam?

Bcaa's.

Not necessary when bulking as you should be getting enough amino acids from a high protein intake anyway. Some people swear by them when cutting, but again, if your protein intake is high enough, you shouldn't lose much muscle on a cut anyway.

The only real reason I hear as to why people get them is 'If you have money, and want to spend it on another supp besides protein, creatine or a pwo; then get them, otherwise don't bother'.

I have no idea what chromium is, but I'm not sure it's one of the "essential" amino acids, which are meant to be the most important eg Leucine.

Bcaa's.

Most whey protein powders have BCAAs anyway. For most people, they'll make little/no difference. Most people I know who have taken them say they only really do if training fasted and they're not sure if it had any benefit

Thanks again lads. It's great to have a place to come and ask questions and not rely on Google and marketing by companies. Jesus I was all set to buy a load of bcaa's but I said I'd ask first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Thanks again lads. It's great to have a place to come and ask questions and not rely on Google and marketing by companies. Jesus I was all set to buy a load of bcaa's but I said I'd ask first.

Also, they taste like absolute ass and are impossible to mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone recommend a good liquid fish oil? I'm not good with capsules :o

Are the ones from Myprotein / go nutrition etc. as good as something like carlssons or Nordic Oil in terms of quality / purity? Also, should I prepare myself for it to taste vile? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Anyone recommend a good liquid fish oil? I'm not good with capsules :o

Are the ones from Myprotein / go nutrition etc. as good as something like carlssons or Nordic Oil in terms of quality / purity? Also, should I prepare myself for it to taste vile? :eek:

i use carlssons although due to the dollar/euro death match many places have stopped stocking it.

this lad sell it still.
    http://unsportsnutrition.ie/carlson-the-very-finest-fish-oil-490ml-1401.html

no complaints in my house about the lemon flavour.

Thanks arayess - that's a very good price - it is over £30 sterling on amazon.
    The 'bulk' suppliers are around £15 - so €22-23 plus delivery etc. so will order from UN sports as I have got stuff off them before and they are a great shop.

Thanks for the heads up!

Just to report back in case anyone else is looking for fish oil - went with Carlsons from UN Sports Nutrition - 24 hour delivery, *super* well packed so no worries with the glass bottle. They do quantity discount so will be going for that next time round.

Tastes fine - much better than expected, I wouldn't be drinking a bottle of it like but goes down easy enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Also, they taste like absolute ass and are impossible to mix.

On my last cut I mixed them with orange flavoured L Glutamine and shook it up a couple of hours before drinking - made the process much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Folks I presume the bulk powders pouches come with the scoops for whey and the creatine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

kilburn wrote: »
    Folks I presume the bulk powders pouches come with the scoops for whey and the creatine ?

The whey definitely does and the creatine did 2 months ago when I last got some

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

I've been using Kinetica Thermo Whey- Smooth Chocolate flavour for the last year and it tastes great with water. Anyone have a review on the chocolate MyProtein whey for anyone who takes it with water rather than milk? Could save me a few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Mongo wrote: »
    I've been using Kinetica Thermo Whey- Smooth Chocolate flavour for the last year and it tastes great with water. Anyone have a review on the chocolate MyProtein whey for anyone who takes it with water rather than milk? Could save me a few quid!

Tastes great

• Advertisement

I took creatine today for the first time. Teaspoon or so.

I'm not swole yet.

Is it broken and will I get my money back?

Advertisement