Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, I just went and ordered a Pod XT Live.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

*DING* ... CONGRATULATIONS ... you have just reached the top 10 'most hated people of all time'.

Well it just arrived. ;)

More on this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Slaanesh wrote:
    I've already downloaded the custom tone zip file off the website. Thousands of presets by users claiming to sound like certain artists. I'll believe it when I hear it! Can't wait to play with it.
    Unfortunately ALOT of them are ****. You really need to make your own or find a decent starting point from the few good ones on customtone.com :o

I feel an upload and vote for your favourite tone website idea coming along ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ok, so far the verdict is I don't know how to use it. I've just spent the past hour trying out some of the presets that were already there. No clue how to make my own or anything yet, but I'm already having loads of fun with the volume pedal. No doubt that'll get a fair bit of use.

I think now it's a case of RTFM. :)

One thing that they blubbed about on the Line6 website is how easy it to use compared to a regular amp... Yeah, that's not entirely true. My Engl is very much plug & play, simple as can be, but this gizmo is going to take me some time. I've been at it an hour now and I don't even know how to change the volume to wah. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

To be honest, with the ENGL I would have went with the GT-8 purely due to the FX-Chain and the 4-Cable method but this whole bass thingy you want sounds cool.

I wonder is there a way to run time based and modulation effects through the fx loop while keeping the distortions in front. Also, it's nice to be able to program it so the Pitch Bend is first in the chain so it gets a pure signal and tracks better.

• Advertisement

Don't you just press down hard on the expression pedal and she changes? I've already read the manual :P

Although not sure on that one!

Read the ******* manual.

Giblet wrote:
    To be honest, with the ENGL I would have went with the GT-8 purely due to the FX-Chain and the 4-Cable method but this whole bass thingy you want sounds cool.

I wonder is there a way to run time based and modulation effects through the fx loop while keeping the distortions in front. Also, it's nice to be able to program it so the Pitch Bend is first in the chain so it gets a pure signal and tracks better.

Honestly Giblet, I very nearly bought a GT-8 at one stage earlier on in the year, but I was looking to the Pod for recording, so the USB port was a big factor. Besides, almost everone who had experience said that while the GT-8 was better for effects, the Pod had better modelling.

Anyway, installing the Line6 Monkey now, and I'll try updating it, see what happens. :)

Ah the Monkey makes life alot easier, no messing around with finding downloads and stuff.

Gearbox for the Toneport is really easy to use to be honest so I assume Edit is similar.

And yes Slaanesh, given the retarded tones I've heard coming from Customtone I think uploading our own favourites would be an excellent idea. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I've been at it an hour now and I don't even know how to change the volume to wah. :o

It took me about a week to realise that you could do that. There seems to be a knack to it. Does your volume pedal suffer from the dreaded squeak? Mine does :rolleyes:

Ravelleman wrote:
    It took me about a week to realise that you could do that. There seems to be a knack to it. Does your volume pedal suffer from the dreaded squeak? Mine does :rolleyes:

Hah. The squeak seems to come and go.

Right, so far, inbetween a quick game of BF2, I've installed all the stuff, created a new patch (Which sounds very nice) and I'm now recording with the line out with Audacity. It's sounding very good indeed, but I've not yet discovered how to record over the USB port.

So far so good. Haven't yet tried running it as a multieffects through the Engl though.

• Advertisement

Karl, got any samples available for out listening pleasure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

What's a Pod XT Live? *

* Friday funny.

It's something that will hopefully be delivered to me today then tease me all over the weekend because I won't get to fiddle with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ancient1 wrote:
    What's a Pod XT Live? *

* Friday funny.

Just think Ancient1, with the money he spent on the Pod, he could have bought a rather nice strat from the Ubox...

Woohoo, it arrived. I figured out how to use it in a few minutes, that's without even using a guitar. Now to find a guitar for it ....

Oh and that reminds me Karl, I used your Fireball settings with the Powerball model on my Toneport and got a very nice tone extremely like the one from that Fireball Jeff clip you posted. Not sure if your setting should have given me a more aggressive tone but I'm sure I still need to tweak the cab and mic settings to get the best out of it. :)

Good stuff Gizmo.
    Slaanesh wrote:
    Karl, got any samples available for out listening pleasure?

Nope, not yet. I'm still messing around with recording, but maybe tonight I'll have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Karl the USb acts as a soundcard. Set up your channel in your sequencer to ASIO pod or something

sei046 wrote:
    Karl the USb acts as a soundcard. Set up your channel in your sequencer to ASIO pod or something

Yeah, I got it working now, I just changed the recording device in Audacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Hey Karl,

What's the distortion like on one of those new PODs? I had a POD 2.0 but I did not really get the distortion sound I was after, although it was a pretty decent all round unit. Like yourself, I'm doing quite a bit of recording at the mo' - so I bought a Digitech Black 13 (Scott Ian signiture pedal) it's pretty darn cool. I get a really nice sound from the EMG's on the Ecplipse. It also has on output so it can go directly into a Mixer (handy). I also bought a digitech Death Metal pedal – I was very dissapointed with it. It definitely does not sound the same as the demo on the Website:( . But the Scott Ian definitely makes up for it.

I might pick one of those new POD up at some point.

Cheers,

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Baggio... wrote:
    Hey Karl,

What's the distortion like on one of those new PODs? I had a POD 2.0 but I did not really get the distortion sound I was after, although it was a pretty decent all round unit. Like yourself, I'm doing quite a bit of recording at the mo' - so I bought a Digitech Black 13 (Scott Ian signiture pedal) it's pretty darn cool. I get a really nice sound from the EMG's on the Ecplipse. It also has on output so it can go directly into a Mixer (handy). I also bought a digitech Death Metal pedal – I was very dissapointed with it. It definitely does not sound the same as the demo on the Website:( . But the Scott Ian definitely makes up for it.

I might pick one of those new POD up at some point.

Cheers,

B.

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm looking for a new pedal board recently but distortion on boards like that usually dosnt cut it for me. Have a look at the Zoom G9.2tt - it actully has 2 12AX7 valves in it to create a genuine value distortion and it has a USB for direct recording. You get a version of Cubase with it also which is a nice bonus and all for under 330 euro off Gak.

Click Here for a gander.

Could defo be a winner the more I read up on it, the only thing actully stopping me buying it is I havent heard the distortion, if I had, it would be on the way as we speak!

!_Brian_! wrote:
    I've been wondering the same thing. I'm looking for a new pedal board recently but distortion on boards like that usually dosnt cut it for me. Have a look at the Zoom G9.2tt - it actully has 2 12AX7 valves in it to create a genuine value distortion and it has a USB for direct recording. You get a version of Cubase with it also which is a nice bonus and all for under 330 euro off Gak.

Hey Brian,

Man that's an impressive piece of kit... It's got everything on it and for less than 330! Is there any on line demos? I's love to hear the Distortion myself. I recently bought a Zoom mrs8 Multi Track studio (which is class). So if that pedal board is as good as my other Zoom products I'm there. From the sound of it it might be better than getting a POD (I'm a bit wary of them after buying the POD 2.0)

While the music I play is very basic (Punk/Hardcore). I'm really picky about my Distortion sound. I know I should have got tube amp - but as I'm a singer. I only use my guitar for recording - so that's why I went for the Scott Ian pedal it's pretty darn cool for the price (115 Euro from Tohmann. It's 225 over here... no thanks!!).

Here's a demo http://www.digitech.com/products/Black13/main.htm

As I said I bought their famous “Death Metal” distortion pedal. I read loads of really good reviews, so I went for it. It's pretty crap in my opinion. But the Black 13 is definitely satisfying my Distortion needs for now :).

Cheers,

Bagg.

Hey guys...

The distortion on the Pod is good, but you've got to do some tweaking to get it right. When I was playing the Line6 presets, I thought the distortion sounded like a wet fart, but creating my own presets, I've got it sounding really really nice. Obviously, it's nothing like the distortion I get from my Engl, but for recording, I think it sounds fantastic.

You'd be welcome to try out mine Baggio, if you're ever over my way.

As for the Zoom one, no idea there I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Have you played it with the 7 string? I did read some where on here that you play a lot of stuff on a 7 string didn't I?!

Anyhoo, yea I play in a death metal band and we tune down to C standard and the problem I find is a lot of distortions turn to mud down that low so my question would be how would you feel the distortion holds up when you banging out power chords on the B string?

:edit: Jesus Baggio .... that Digitech pedal sounds amazing. Defo going to look into that some more

!_Brian_! wrote:
    Have you played it with the 7 string? I did read some where on here that you play a lot of stuff on a 7 string didn't I?!

Anyhoo, yea I play in a death metal band and we tune down to C standard and the problem I find is a lot of distortions turn to mud down that low so my question would be how would you feel the distortion holds up when you banging out power chords on the B string?

You're quite right, and sometimes I tune to A, but mostly I'm playing in B flat, so I'd be playing at least a full step lower than yourself.

I just gave it a lash there, and although my headphones aren't the best, the low-end distorted well, it was tight, clear and didn't seem to get muddy at all. I'll give it another go during the day tomorrow and see how well it sounds when I can make things quite loud.

But if you're really looking for something that gives you the best of your low tuning, then I cannot recommend Engl enough. Over on www.sevenstring.org right now, there's a few people who've just got Engls, and are quite literally blown away by the tone. One guy on there sold off his Mesa Boogie Triaxis/2:90 rig and got a Fireball instead, which he thinks is even better. ;)

So honestly, nothing beats Engl for low-end respsonse. Unless you're on a serious budget, then I can't recommend 'em enough!

Just uploaded a little something I did with the Pod here. It's just in standard tuning though.

You'd be welcome to try out mine Baggio, if you're ever over my way.

Thanks for the offer man, I'd love to check it out. I was talking to a mate of mine yesterday and he has one. He thinks it's really good. I'll check out that clip you put up later - I'm supposed to be working at the mo'.;)

Cheers,

Baggio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Norrabadclip. Not a fan of prog metal or nuthin' but you can tell that the POD has got what it takes.

fish-head wrote:
    Norrabadclip. Not a fan of prog metal or nuthin' but you can tell that the POD has got what it takes.

Thanks. I started off on a pretty awful note though, but thankfully I managed to get on track after that.

• Advertisement

Hey Karl,

Like that clip:) . The POD sounds really well - good chrunchy distortion. I'd still like to hear the Zoom to compare.

Cheers,

Bagg.

Advertisement