Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, I just went and ordered a Pod XT Live.

Options
  • 03-09-2006 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Well, after much musings here, and stratching the pennies together, I've finally bit the bullet and ordered one. I've been doing a lot of recording lately, so I'm certain this will be an invaluable tool in that reguard.

Something I've just discovered after I've ordered it though was this:
    Version 3.0 also allows you to add a new optional upgrade - the Bass Expansion Model Pack, which adds 28 bass amp and 22 bass cabinet models – all paired with the perfect, modeled mic options for recording bass guitar. The Bass Expansion Model Pack gives any guitarist who also plays bass, a whole new dimension to the PODXT Live you already own.

I've made an attempt at recording some bass too, so when I read that, my eyes lit up! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I have one and it's pretty good. I can see it being very useful in an actual live situation. For recording I think I'd rather have the desktop bean. The bass upgrade is a great idea but it is kind of expensive, which is a downer. The most recent upgrade was free though. It gives you a variety of wah models, some new effects and a couple of new amps. It's a fun piece of equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ravelleman wrote:
    I have one and it's pretty good. I can see it being very useful in an actual live situation. For recording I think I'd rather have the desktop bean. The bass upgrade is a great idea but it is kind of expensive, which is a downer. The most recent upgrade was free though. It gives you a variety of wah models, some new effects and a couple of new amps. It's a fun piece of equipment.

Naw, I wouldn't bother with the bean, I'd rather be able to just run it with the Engl when I want to, and have all the options at my feet.

Didn't realise the bass upgrade was extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Oh, let us know how it sounds with the Fireball. After using one at the weekend and having my balls rocked by its distortion I'd be interested to see if the XTL can expand its tonal range satisfactorily.

Oh and that Bass addon is rather pricey alright, $99. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's got to be a free way to get it, not that I advocate it, but this is the internet my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

There's got to be a free way to get it, not that I advocate it, but this is the internet my friends.

Nope, the packs are hardware locked to your pod. $99 isnt so bad though considering you get the whole bass pod xt installed to your pod which is around €300 in itself. You can also return the pack within a month if you arent happy (its a very straightfoward process, I did it once myself but ended up rebuying the pack a few weeks later when I had more time to play with it and havnt looked back)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yup got the Metal Shop pack for my Toneport and I love it. Definitly worth the $50, especially if I get a Flextone since I can transfer the pack over and basically have a HD147 combo. :D

Beecher wrote:
    Nope, the packs are hardware locked to your pod. $99 isnt so bad though considering you get the whole bass pod xt installed to your pod which is around €300 in itself.

Where are they for €300?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Where are they for €300?

From America when you factor in shipping and the cost of a new line-6 plug. If you shop around you can find them even cheaper (got a new pod xt for €245 incl delivery). Also Pod XT lives for €260. Shipping wouldnt be too bad and european line 6 plugs are cheap from thomann and the like.

Beecher wrote:
    From America when you factor in shipping and the cost of a new line-6 plug. If you shop around you can find them even cheaper (got a new pod xt for €245 incl delivery). Also Pod XT lives for €260. Shipping wouldnt be too bad and european line 6 plugs are cheap from thomann and the like.

Oh right. Could be more if I got stung for customs.

I just ordered from gak.co.uk as it was the handiest, and cheapest I found.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Let us know how it goes Karl. I bought one of ebay but got screwed over by the seller. He sold me one he didn't have, he was waiting for another shipment in the end so I got a refund. Only responded to my mails when I threatened with lodging a complaint with ebay.

Would rather not pay €500 ish for one of these bad boys.

Oh right. Could be more if I got stung for customs.

I just ordered from gak.co.uk as it was the handiest, and cheapest I found.

• Advertisement

Oh, expect a full indepth review on my part.

It's something like €430 on www.gak.co.uk so you might want to consider that if you're not looking to get screwed on ebay.

When do you expect it? If I ordered today would I get it this week? Ooooo temptation.

EDIT: I notice with that site you need to ship to your billing address. dolphinmusic.co.uk is the same price and I think you can ship to a different address.

Oh, expect a full indepth review on my part.

It's something like €430 on www.gak.co.uk so you might want to consider that if you're not looking to get screwed on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

have had a pod xt live for a good while now. invaluable in the studio. i use it for effects with the marshall live and its midi controls the amp.
    Great piece of kit

Slaanesh wrote:
    When do you expect it? If I ordered today would I get it this week? Ooooo temptation.

EDIT: I notice with that site you need to ship to your billing address. dolphinmusic.co.uk is the same price and I think you can ship to a different address.

Well I ordered it Saturday night, so I'd expect it was sent today, so I might get it wednesday? I'd definetly say you'd have it before the weekend if you ordered now. I've never ordered from Gak before, or Dolphinmusic, but stuff from England is usually very prompt, 2 or 3 days.
    sei046 wrote:
    have had a pod xt live for a good while now. invaluable in the studio. i use it for effects with the marshall live and its midi controls the amp.
    Great piece of kit

You're controling the amp with the Pod XT Live? Handy, how does that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Anyone any experience with using a Zoom G9.2tt or Vox Tonelab?

Very reasonable prices and the fact theres actully one or two tubes in these pedals sounds very promising.

KH if you've used the likes of the Boss ME-50 I'd be keen to know how the XT Live compares. I'v been kinda scared of multi effects units since I got the Boss as it sounds very scratchy and theres a bit of a delay when switching between patches. But if newer ones are more up to scratch, its certainly cheaper then buying a new amp!

:edit: Wayhey! 100th post! Only tooks me 9 months! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The ME-50 doesn't compare to the Pod XT, the ToneLab or the Boss Gt-8. It's the "lesser" model from Boss.

Well, it was shipped today. Could have it on Friday. ;)
    KH if you've used the likes of the Boss ME-50 I'd be keen to know how the XT Live compares. I'v been kinda scared of multi effects units since I got the Boss as it sounds very scratchy and theres a bit of a delay when switching between patches. But if newer ones are more up to scratch, its certainly cheaper then buying a new amp!

No idea about most Multieffects, but I'll let you know if there's any delay between switching or not. ;)

Damn you anyway. I ordered one yesterday and now I'm going through this whole credit card security rigmarole because I wanted to ship it to my work address. Had to fax them copy of my driving licence on company headed paper. Still haven't heard back from them. I have ordered from them before so I don't doubt I'll eventually get there. Would have loved it for rehersals at the weekend though :(

Slaanesh wrote:
    Damn you anyway. I ordered one yesterday and now I'm going through this whole credit card security rigmarole because I wanted to ship it to my work address. Had to fax them copy of my driving licence on company headed paper. Still haven't heard back from them. I have ordered from them before so I don't doubt I'll eventually get there. Would have loved it for rehersals at the weekend though :(

Why not just get it shipped to the billing address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

One assumes because he'll be in work during delivery hours. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Might be no one at home to collect it

Hit .... nail .... on .... head.

Right you are so, silly me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

So you're telling me that for roughly 500 you can get a multi that does guitar AND bass? I'm there!!!

Can't find the bass pack at my usual sources, but the XTlive units are 400 apiece for the guitar or bass unit....what a savings!

I already know that my ME-50 doesn't handle bass frequencies well at all, and having a unit that did both either for live or recording would be, like, uber-cool.

Expect reviews from both myself and Karl H :) Although expect Karl's to be more in-depth because I don't know anything about stuff and things ... what's an effects board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Good! Perhaps Karl's will be more scientific (It's capable of this, this, this, and this) and yours will be "It sounds really great when I do this!", which is just as important.

I don't know about that. You're talking about someone who pretty much doesn't use effects.

My review will probably consist of "Pod XT is my wife now!"

papavc5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Karl make your you download line6 edit , its wicked for making patches and custom building your tones

I've already downloaded the custom tone zip file off the website. Thousands of presets by users claiming to sound like certain artists. I'll believe it when I hear it! Can't wait to play with it.

Unfortunately I've an acoustic gig at the weekend and won't be back till Monday, it will probably be delivered tomorrow and I won't get to play with it at all, oh the torture.

• Advertisement

Well it just arrived. ;)

More on this later.

Advertisement