Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does "Lifeline" etc tabs work for preventing hangovers?

Options

Comments

mdebets wrote:
    You all didn't mention the ultimate hangover cure: Don't drink.

I'm going to be pedantic here and disprove your statement.

If you don't drink (anything, you didn't say what), your body gets dehydrated..

which leads to hangovers!

its a vicious circle

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Hangovers are like STD's, unless you abstain you're gonna get one in your lifetime!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Big dirty burger before you go to bed always does the job. It soaks up the excess alcohol and the super duper huge seven up you have with it rehydrates your body.

Actually if things are really bad take some diorylite (sp) the next morning. It replaces the electrolites that your body has lost from dehydration. It's really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

:eek:

Wikipedia - Killing people with its advice since 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

The best thing in the world for hangovers is a supplement called chorella. Its basically an algae (pond scum!). You can get it from any health food shop for about €16 a bottle each, which is 10 doses. You take them before you start drinking and it helps your liver procces the toxins alot quicker. So €1.60 for a clear head the next day!!! These actually works, me and my mates have been taking them for the last couple of months and its great!!!

i take those as regular vitiman tablets! i noticed i havent had a hangover in ages but now i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wailers_irl

"...A Japanese study showed that taking 4-6gm of chlorella before consuming alcohol can prevent hangovers 96% of the time, even after a night of heavy drinking..."

From diagnose-me.com

As for the other 4%.......

The best thing in the world for hangovers is a supplement called chorella. Its basically an algae (pond scum!). You can get it from any health food shop for about €16 a bottle each, which is 10 doses. You take them before you start drinking and it helps your liver procces the toxins alot quicker. So €1.60 for a clear head the next day!!! These actually works, me and my mates have been taking them for the last couple of months and its great!!!

Sounds like just the thing. Where did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭gonementhol

Chlorella does the job!! Remembering to take it before boozing is the only problem. Obviously if you only sleep for 2 hours you'll be tired, atleast you don't have to worry about headaches and a sick stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wailers_irl

Sounds like just the thing. Where did you buy it?

Its in most health food shops, just ask for it. I got mine in the one beside Burger King the end of Grafton St in Dublin. You need to take 5-6 grams which is about 10 capsules which seems alot but it works!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

At LEAST 1 pint of water before sleeping, mix in somthing like Dioralyte, and eat somthing simple like bread, crackers or biscuits before bed, (nothing greasy!!).
    Given this info by a doc in a casualty ward in my youth. ;)

b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

please note that medical advice is not allowed here.

if you don't want a hangover, then don't drink alcoholic beverages.
    any medical advice regarding curing of hangovers is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

i need a shower after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Drinking half a bottle of domestos is the only sure way to avoid a hangover*

*You may also be avoiding other things... such as living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

julep wrote:
    please note that medical advice is not allowed here.

Oops, sowwy :o
    Dint mean it to sound all medical, besides in my experience a lot of docs cant find their own arses with a map. I rarely take their advise.

;)

b

Whats Dioralyte?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Giblet wrote:
    Take an anadin before bed aswell.

Isnt that very bad for your liver and or kidney? It has to do the work of treating the drink as well as the anadin

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

there's a heartburn remedy called Zantac that I take before a really big pissup. It stops yer stomach producing tonnes of acid (which leads to hiccups, puking and a sick stomach).

I knew a few pharmacists that used always take this before a booze up.

The only bad thing is that it does nothing for the headache - but the stomach - brand new - you can eat a fry in the morning nomatter how sore yer head is.

Also - if anyone does go out and buy this product - it has without doubt the funniest list of "possible side effects" ever - its like something from southpark (I'd say no one has ever got most of em - they include confusion, hallucinations, male breast enlargement, boils, basically anything you can think of is in there - its about 2 pages long!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

zantac rules. i take that all the time. you can eat and drink all sorts of crap.
    never even read the laflet.

readnig it now it says you may also suffer from yellowing of the skin. handy if you want a quick tan. :)

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a601106.html#side-effects

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Dioralyte will prevent you from getting dehydrated, which is one cause of the headaches cause by hangovers, also stops certain minerals from being lost. It's generally used to prevent dehydration during bouts of diarroeah.

Haven't tried that chlorella stuff. Think I'll give it a go. Generally, I find that a couple of guarana tabs before you go out and a couple while you're out makes you feel more lively and seems to reduce the hangover in the morning, as opposed to night out without them.

One thing I find that seems to always work is a long walk home after your night out. The exertion speeds up your metabolism and removes more of the toxins from your system before you go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I haven't had many hangovers its in the two digits in terms of how many hangovers I've had.There's not really much of a cure for hangovers like drinking lots of water will compel you to wake up and go to the toilet.Thats annoying when you just want to sleep.

Suppose I could use the Chorella and Liveline.I won't use both on the same night that wouldn't be advised.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Drink a pint or two of water and a bottle of lucozade sport before bed.
    Have at least a litre bottle of water beside your bed for the morning/if you wake up during the night.

Be as right as rain the following day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

I suffer from the worst hangovers known to man, i mean puking really bad for hours on end BUT the best cure I've ever found is in Zumo juice bars, they do boosts that you can add to your smoothie. The hangover remedy is magical and you will be right as rain in about 30 minutes after taking it.
    Other alternative is taking Derolite before going to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Mitzy wrote:
    I suffer from the worst hangovers known to man, i mean puking really bad for hours on end BUT the best cure I've ever found is in Zumo juice bars, they do boosts that you can add to your smoothie. The hangover remedy is magical and you will be right as rain in about 30 minutes after taking it.
    Other alternative is taking Derolite before going to bed.

Jaysus that's terrible advice! I work in a juice bar(not zumo, jump) and one sunday I went in as sick as a dog so I though 'hmmm maybe I'll whip up a smoothie and that'll sort me out', so I did... drank it in about 30seconds and made a legger for the loo! The thing came up the same as it went down I probably could have put it in a cup and served it haha!
    Thank you come again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

deisedolly wrote:
    Jaysus that's terrible advice! I work in a juice bar(not zumo, jump) and one sunday I went in as sick as a dog so I though 'hmmm maybe I'll whip up a smoothie and that'll sort me out', so I did... drank it in about 30seconds and made a legger for the loo! The thing came up the same as it went down I probably could have put it in a cup and served it haha!
    Thank you come again :D

A normal smoothie would but whatever is in the hangover remedy really works (trust me). I usually cannot hold water down but this is excellent. It settles your stomach & gets rid of the headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

my magical cure is a bottle of powerade and an ice cream first thing when ye wake up. . .. well does the trick . . . then start drinking again:D

Went to a Xmas party on Saturday, drank my own body weight in vodka and woke up feeling ok after taking Lifeline a few hours before the session began. These things should be handed out for free on the medical card and in bars all over town :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

like a lot of people have said drink water and plenty of it, at leats 3 pints before bed. a hangover is your brain shrivelling like a raisin and pulling away from the scalp, due to dehydration, hence the headache
    if you wake up with a hangover mix fresh orange juice with original lucozade, that works for me when i get one, whice is rarely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

julep wrote:
    any medical advice regarding curing of hangovers is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

You could be on to something here.

I heard that some hangover symptoms are caused by the loss of body salts due to extra urination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

netwhizkid wrote:
    Drink a litre of water before going to bed and you will be as fresh as a daisy the next morning.

It definitely helps.
    Not if you suffer from bad hangovers you won't.
    Exactly. I've had so much water some nights that I can barely walk with a sore bladder after waking but I still have a terrible hangover. I never get a headache with a hangover, it's just basically like having a vomiting bug. I doubt these lifeline things would work for me tbh.

I think I'll try that Chlorella or Zantac.

btw - I can count the amount of headaches I've had in my life on one hand which is strange when you see the hangovers I get. It takes me a few days to get over a big night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Personally I take 2 extra strength tylenol after a night on the piss. Next morning, if it weren't for the vomit stains on the ceiling, you wouldn't know I was drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I agree with everyone who says drink plenty of water, at least two pints or more if you can. This should be good enough for most people. But if you suffer from *really* bad hangovers then maybe your body is trying to tell you something, like eh don't drink :eek:

Advertisement