Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does "Lifeline" etc tabs work for preventing hangovers?

Options
  • 21-08-2006 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Or are there better alternative vitamins out there?

*hates hangovers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Yep, they work for me - BUT - every now I then they give me a terrible sore throat, which I think is because of the charcoal in them. (although I can't be sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

My bro stole them so i dont know :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I find RESOLVE sachets really good. Contain paracetamol and vitamins and works wonders ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

just drink a sh*t load of water before going to bed, works for me. I have only had 3 hangovers in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Forget all that, just keep drinking the next morning, gets rid of even the worst hangovers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Marts wrote:
    just drink a sh*t load of water before going to bed, works for me. I have only had 3 hangovers in my life

What he said, I doubt any of these tablets are going to work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

that water thing never worked for me

that water thing never worked for me
    are you sure it was water? are you sure it wasn't NOTHING?*

*nothing being neat vodka

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There are plans to make alcohol that has no negative side effects, pills have also been developed that can sober up a baboon in just 5 minutes... although a side effect is violent seizures... but they'll iron out those little problems in time I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I take it these are these magic anti-hangover tablets out now. Well from what I heard they do nothing more than postpone the inevitable hangover for a few hours, so it hits you at midday instead at 8 that morning.

I just go for the pint of water before bed, sorts me right out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

none of ye bastards have to suffer like me and the OP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wailers_irl

The best thing in the world for hangovers is a supplement called chorella. Its basically an algae (pond scum!). You can get it from any health food shop for about €16 a bottle each, which is 10 doses. You take them before you start drinking and it helps your liver procces the toxins alot quicker. So €1.60 for a clear head the next day!!! These actually works, me and my mates have been taking them for the last couple of months and its great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Drink a glass of water with each pint. Easy. Take an anadin before bed aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

There are plans to make alcohol that has no negative side effects, pills have also been developed that can sober up a baboon in just 5 minutes... although a side effect is violent seizures... but they'll iron out those little problems in time I'm sure.
    You're tolkien rubbish!

See what I did there?

EDIT: On the water thing. Powerade or any isotonic sports drink is better because it will rehydrate your body quicker.

Giblet wrote:
    Drink a glass of water with each pint
    you can't do that, all yer mates will be bringing your sexuality into question if you drink water in the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Drink a litre of water before going to bed and you will be as fresh as a daisy the next morning.

It definitely helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

netwhizkid wrote:
    Drink a litre of water before going to bed and you will be as fresh as a daisy the next morning.

Not if you suffer from bad hangovers you won't.

Slurms wrote:
    You're tolkien rubbish!
    Oh I'm tolkien the truth!
    Although the alcohol-brain interaction is not completely understood, it is widely believed that ethanol, booze's active ingredient, is a general inhibitor of brain activity. It does this both by damping down excitatory circuits and firing up inhibitory ones. Most researchers agree that a big part of alcohol's effect - most importantly, the feel-good factor - is probably mediated through the latter mechanism, via brain receptors for the neurotransmitter GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), the brain's universal inhibitory signalling molecule.

There are many different flavours of GABA receptor, found in various combinations throughout the brain. Crucially, different types seem to be associated with different alcohol effects. For instance, the 1 subtype seems to be responsible for that woozy, sedated feeling, while the 2s calm us down; 5s, meanwhile, may be behind a number of negative effects, including memory loss, motor impairment and "reinforcement" - that hankering to follow your first drink with another, and then another. Alcohol researchers still don't have the complete picture but they expect to find many more specific links between receptor type and alcohol's effects.

“It should be possible to design drugs that block alcohol's undesirable effects”

Nutt and others believe this means it will be possible to develop drugs that selectively block alcohol's undesirable effects while leaving the desirable ones alone. For instance, a molecule that prevents alcohol from binding to 5 subunits might just stop us from getting clumsy and drowsy, and may even make it easier to know when to call it a night. In fact, neuropsychopharmacologist Harry June at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore has already tested just such a compound in rats. He's also working on compounds that extinguish some of the euphoric effects of alcohol, which he says might some day be useful in helping alcoholics stay sober. Nutt, meanwhile, is testing 5 blockers as memory preservers, with promising results. Using a drug originally developed to enhance memory in older people, he was able to preserve memory in drunken human volunteers. Apply that logic elsewhere - to the GABA subunits that are presumably linked with aggression, loss of judgement or addiction, for example - and we would be well on our way to a safer tipple.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Marts wrote:
    you can't do that, all yer mates will be bringing your sexuality into question if you drink water in the pub

Say it's old spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ok that would be pretty cool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I have a friend who went on a bender with some guys from his hometown last Christmas 2 days before the college exams, he was so determined not to lose study time that he put himself on a glucose drip, went to bed and woke up bright eyed and feeling fine... it does work, but pints of water are the easy option:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Which are the ones you mix with water rather than take in pill form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Just drink 2 painkillers and a large glass of water before ye go t bed and u'll be grand

dats wha a hangover is really, lack of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Taking paracetomol before bed everytime you dont want a hangover is a very very silly idea.

Yeah... taking painkillers like that is seriously bad for your liver which is already overworked from all the booze that has been put through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not sure about vits or pills, but on the rare occasion that I drink a little too much, then I try for a big breakfast in the wee hours before hitting the sack. When I do this, I rarely have problems the next day, except for going at about half speed.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

to be honest, in the excess that i drink there is very very little that can be done to reduce a hangover.
    i mean some nights i go out and get absolutely ****faced, cant walk, let alone talk, wake up and im fine
    last saturday went out was very composed all night, didnt think i was drunk and woke up DYING!!!
    is it kind of against the rules of science, alcohol is a toxic substance, it you drink it in excess its going to have bad side affects no matter what.... having said that id do anything to stop a hangover!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You all didn't mention the ultimate hangover cure: Don't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Water doesn't get rid of the hangover for me, but if I do drink alot of it before bed it definately improves the next morning.

As for a hangover cure? Yop. Seriously. Sorts you right out. I don't mean Actimel either. Just thick slurpy Yop. The only time I ever drink the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Wikipedia wrote:
    Chronic excessive ethanol (alcohol) consumption can induce CYP2E1, thus increasing the potential toxicity of paracetamol.[9] For this reason, other analgesics such as aspirin or ibuprofen are sometimes recommended for hangovers.

Advertisement