Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Cook Book/Recipe/Food-related Site?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

I know what you mean Gloomtastic, I look there often myself. But sometimes it's nice to go to the recipes that you know work every time. Those tomato sauce or butter splattered pages that fall open without having to search, even better when there are a few handwritten notes in the margins. But hey, if not a book, maybe there's a website that does the same thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Lorraine Pascale's books are all pretty good in terms of actually being useful and practical.

I'd recommend Fast, Fresh and Easy in particular. Does what it says on the tin really, really tasty recipes, not too much fuss and there's enough variety in it that you can cook a practical family dinner one day and something a bit fancy the next. Covers lunches and breakfasts too, with a few sweet bits thrown in for good measure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

My latest favourite would be Thug Kitchen - both the book and the website.

The recipes are incredibly tasty, and different to what I would normally do.

I've used a couple of Lorraine Pascale's recipes Tickle and I agree they are good, down to earth, no fuss ones that always turn out as they should.

Thug Kitchen sounds great Shenshen! I haven't heard of it before but I'm going to look it up right away because I just love the sound of it.

If you don't want to invest in one of the Ottolenghi books Daisy78, take a look at his website, it has plenty on there. It used to be difficult to get hold of some of the ingredients he uses but they are becoming a lot more common now. His salads are all particularly good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Coconut Curry Soup on the Thug Kitchen website looks really good. The book looks like it has some nice things in it too. Great recommendation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

My best used, most food splattered book is Delia's original Cookery Course. Bought when I was in my mid twenties, thirty years ago. It's my fall back book for so many simple recipes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You can't beat Delia. I've got lots of newer cook books, but I've had this for over 30 years and I still use it.

10eeykg.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

You can't beat Delia. I've got lots of newer cook books, but I've had this for over 30 years and I still use it.

10eeykg.jpg

I can't remember what the cover looked like. It's long gone. It might have been that one

I have Delia's too, probably bought about the same time in the 80's. I think she was the one who really taught me how to cook.

I just LOVE the Thug Kitchen website Shenshen, I roared out loud with laughter when I looked at it yesterday and I've already started to put some recipes aside to try out.

• Advertisement

katydid wrote: »
    I can't remember what the cover looked like. It's long gone. It might have been that one

My cover is long gone too, but I remember it was that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi all,

Long time no post. Thug Kitchen made me LOL ! :D

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Oh be still my beating heart, trembling knees and itchy hands!

IMG_20151003_150051_zpscj5iedo6.jpg

By the way, I'm all for eating healthy, but with every second person these days releasing a super clean eating cookbook, I'm getting a bit tired with the obligatory I'm-so-healthy-look-at-me-smiling-ear-to-ear pose on the covers... the glowing skin, beaming gnashers, laughing at the photographer's joke probably...

Now where's my cup of matcha...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I saw a collection of Charmaine Solomon cookbooks the other day. Called the Complete Asian Cookbook Series, there are 5 books in the series. Published in Feb 2014, so I'm guessing these are only just making an appearance in the northern hemisphere. I may have inadvertently order the whole lot.

Minder wrote: »
    I saw a collection of Charmaine Solomon cookbooks the other day. Called the Complete Asian Cookbook Series, there are 5 books in the series. Published in Feb 2014, so I'm guessing these are only just making an appearance in the northern hemisphere. I may have inadvertently order the whole lot.

If you ever.... EVER... want to find a new home for your precious books.... *wink* *wink*

Ottolenghi's new baby Nopi is beautiful. I'd love to own it for Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Hi.

I like to eat healthy meals but I am a busy person. I find that cooking every evening after work is a pain and tends to eat up my evenings like mad.

I'm wondering if any of you could recommend a good cook book with recipies that are healthy and can be done in large batches that can be frozen in tupperware.

I have seen some books like this but they tended to be american and the food didn't seem all that healthy. Lots of cheesy, creamy stuff.

Thanks people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

Hi.

I like to eat healthy meals but I am a busy person. I find that cooking every evening after work is a pain and tends to eat up my evenings like mad.

I'm wondering if any of you could recommend a good cook book with recipies that are healthy and can be done in large batches that can be frozen in tupperware.

I have seen some books like this but they tended to be american and the food didn't seem all that healthy. Lots of cheesy, creamy stuff.

Thanks people.

Check out Lorraine Pascal's Eating Well Made Easy.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Check out Lorraine Pascal's Eating Well Made Easy.

Thanks Mrs F. I've checked out the google books preview of it. I don't suppose anyone would have a link to a pdf version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Thanks Mrs F. I've checked out the google books preview of it. I don't suppose anyone would have a link to a pdf version?

Erm - no, because that would be stealing.

• Advertisement

Well technically I suppose it is, but it's not really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It's both technically and 'really' stealing and there's a general boards wide rule that we don't share or enable the sharing of pirated goods - even cook books. So no debate, no asking for pirated material and no sharing pirate material here.

Thanks Mrs F. I've checked out the google books preview of it

Eason is doing a buy-on-get-one-half price, and her book is in that deal. Maybe check their website and see what other books that might interest you or get it as a gift for someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

Hi
    So as the title says I'm looking for some recommendations for an Italian cookbook for my father.
    He's early 60s and eats pretty much everything but loves spicy food. I don't think he'd make his own pasta or pizza bases but he'd up for trying simple new combinations.
    I was thinking Jaime oliver Italian but not sure.
    Any ideas would be appreciated
    tia

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

clare82 wrote: »
    Hi
    So as the title says I'm looking for some recommendations for an Italian cookbook for my father.
    He's early 60s and eats pretty much everything but loves spicy food. I don't think he'd make his own pasta or pizza bases but he'd up for trying simple new combinations.
    tia

The Silver Spoon - doubt you'd ever need anything else to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

clare82 wrote: »
    Hi
    tia

Made In Italy - Giorgio Locatelli - Authentic, comprehensive, passionate. This is a cookbook to read, full of stories and recipes.
    Bocca Cookbook - Jacob Kennedy - Restaurant quality recipes from the length and breadth of Italy
    Harry's Bar Cookbook - Arrigo Cipriani - Recipes from the famous Venetian bar
    The Sopranos Family Cookbook - Artie Bucco - a bit of fun for anyone who is a fan of the Sopranos

Locatelli's books are where I go when looking for inspirational Italian recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Marcella Hazan's The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking is very comprehensive book with well written recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gino's Pasta: Everything You Need to Cook the Italian Way is a great book, full of really simple but extremely tasty Italian recipes.

I must admit that I rolled my eyes (internally) when I was given it as a present as I think he comes across as a bit of a clown when on TV, but it's a great book and well worth getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'm in the market for a new cook book full of interesting recipes to try. It's been an ongoing NY resolution for the last 5 years to cook one new thing per month, and add it to my repertoire if it works (and never speak of it again if it doesn't, I'm looking at you, beef kofta curry).

I've checked the Amazon top ten, but nothing jumps out at me (I have no interest in 'super' foods, or sirt food, whatever that is) so I think I'll have to go classic. I have a Good Housekeeping Step by Step which I don't think I've cracked open, so that'll be first one my list, but I'm interested in other titles (say pre-Jamie, pre-Nigella, etc).

PS: the most straightforward the better, really, something with 20-30 ingredients, a portion of which are only available at full moon on a tuesday in the himalayas is not my thing.

Advertisement