Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Cook Book/Recipe/Food-related Site?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I love "A Year at Avoca" , the recipes are very practical and I've never had a disaster with any of them. I also bought Nigellas Christmas book this year, a few nice ideas in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Daisy78 wrote: »
    I love "A Year at Avoca" , the recipes are very practical and I've never had a disaster with any of them.

Excellent book. I've cooked most of recipes; their fish pie is on our monthly menu.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Alun wrote: »
    Now let me say first that my family are from his neck of the woods, so I'm no stranger to a West Country accents in general, but his accent is seriously driving me crazy. It's almost as if he's deliberately overdoing it just for TV. He was using lots of "paprikurrr" in one dish today :)

Was watching it on the Saturday kitchen
    Slot.. you're right, he did say paprikurrrrrrrr :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Darina Allens Forgotten skills of cooking is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Buying a Jamie Oliver cookbook for a friend. His latest is "Jamie's Comfort Food". Anyone on here have it, and if so would you recommend it? This is for someone who is a pretty good cook, but not at the Masterchef standard, and probably doesn't want to be. Really I want something that will help with interesting meals, but are not over complicated and have (for the most part) easy to obtain (in Ireland) ingredients.

Thanks.

tmh

tmh106 wrote: »
    Buying a Jamie Oliver cookbook for a friend. His latest is "Jamie's Comfort Food". Anyone on here have it, and if so would you recommend it? This is for someone who is a pretty good cook, but not at the Masterchef standard, and probably doesn't want to be. Really I want something that will help with interesting meals, but are not over complicated and have (for the most part) easy to obtain (in Ireland) ingredients.

Thanks.

tmh

I borrowed it from the library. Impressive layout and photos, just like his magazine.
    The recipes are all international classic comfort with a lovely twist that elevates the dishes, so if your friend is a keen cook he/she might appreciate it. I sure enjoyed the couple of things I've made from it.
    Recipes include shepherds pie, chicken shawarma, pot noodles to kielbasa, sweet indulgence like jaffa cake to the ultimate hot chocolate.
    It's written in typical Jamie style - like how he talks on his TV shows. And just like his other recent books I find that I need to read it through over and over again before prep.
    I think it'll be a lovely gift for your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I am totally obsessed with this book!

Bought it about 3 weeks ago and have already made about 12-15 of the recipes.

All have turned out REALLY well. And I am not a very good cook.

There's a bit of an outlay at the beginning to buy the strange ingredients (unless you're already into health foods) but then it's all actually pretty easy.

I love that there is such a variety of stuff - big hearty meals, snacks, and actually I'd say it's worth it for the breakfasts alone.

We're not deliberately trying to go dairy or wheat free, but we are certainly going through FAR less milk, cheese and bread (previously our staples) since I got the book. My motivation to buy it was more about cutting down on sugar, so I'm delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I actually find her to be a great writer too, which is a bonus.

Final bonus (told you I'm obsessed!) is that she talks about food that is suitable for kiddies which is a great help to me having a dairy-allergic toddler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Came across this site today and it looks very interesting

http://tasty-yummies.com

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

Hi All,

Just looking for some help!! as Im sick of buying cook books that are no good and to advanced.

I recently bought Gordon Ramsay's the ultimate cooking course as I seen 1 or 2 of the shows 1 been were he cooked shepherds pie (my favorite) and when I bought the book it wasn't in it! and all the dishes were stuff I wouldn't be into, so a total waste of money even thought it got great reviews on amazon!!

I like GR & jamie Oliver and am a ok cook trying to eat more healthy & exercise. I just am looking for an everyday cook book with the likes of shepherds pie, curry's & a few nice Italian dishes. Was looking at Jamie's 15 min meals online & someone listed all the dishes looked good but sadly no shepherds pie. by the way I have never tried to cook this yet hence why I'm so eager!

Can anyone recommend anything? maybe something by the likes of Jamie or Gordon thats not to advanced & healthy & has a shepherds pie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Can't help with the cook book but Gordon's recipe for shepherds pie is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

Has anyone tried the Happy Pear cookbook yet? I've seen some of their recipes before and they look really good.
    https://thehappypear.ie/book

benny79 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just looking for some help!! as Im sick of buying cook books that are no good and to advanced.

I recently bought Gordon Ramsay's the ultimate cooking course as I seen 1 or 2 of the shows 1 been were he cooked shepherds pie (my favorite) and when I bought the book it wasn't in it! and all the dishes were stuff I wouldn't be into, so a total waste of money even thought it got great reviews on amazon!!

I like GR & jamie Oliver and am a ok cook trying to eat more healthy & exercise. I just am looking for an everyday cook book with the likes of shepherds pie, curry's & a few nice Italian dishes. Was looking at Jamie's 15 min meals online & someone listed all the dishes looked good but sadly no shepherds pie. by the way I have never tried to cook this yet hence why I'm so eager!

Can anyone recommend anything? maybe something by the likes of Jamie or Gordon thats not to advanced & healthy & has a shepherds pie :D

Hiya,

I have Catherine' Family Kitchen book (Catherine Fulvio) and find it good. It doesn't have shepherds pie but does have lots of easier stuff to make.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Hi All,

Not a book, but I find the BBC food website really good for recipes. It even has a section on Shepard's Pie: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/shepherds_pie

Tmh

Actually have been using that a lot its a good site isn't it especially when other people add there tweaks or tips to the dish! But its also nice to have a good cook book for ideas I find you have to know what dish you want to cook for the bbc site. Where as with a book it be full of ideas & new dishes that you never taught off. IMO anyway :D

Actually have been using that a lot its a good site isn't it especially when other people add there tweaks or tips to the dish! But its also nice to have a good cook book for ideas I find you have to know what dish you want to cook for the bbc site. Where as with a book it be full of ideas & new dishes that you never taught off. IMO anyway :D

BBC Good Food is great. Handy tip - don't enter anything in the Search bar and click Search - all the recipes are returned, ordered by users' ratings in descending order.

yea that is annoying! good tip!

Picked up an excellent book yesterday in a charity shop called Zest! It has recipes from 62 top Irish restaurants. It's fantastic. Don't you love a good charity shop find!

Loire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Love a charity cook book find! Which reminds me, I haven't gone for a mooch in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Some tasty recipes here: http://damndelicious.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I've been getting my cookery books from the library recently, found a few stinkers (Cathrine Fulvo I did not enjoy, she is great on TV though) but really enjoyed a few as well. I won't comment on how good they are to cook from, because i just read cookbooks and then months later recreate stuff half from memory, half from what is in the kitchen^^ Got a Ken Hom one at the moment, i love that he introduces each recipe with a paragraph about the food. Claudia Roden's Italian book was excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Lorraine Pascale "how to be a better cook" is currently for sale in Aldi for €3.49.

Found details on this book on the Amazon website - don't know if it's any good but it seems to have good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

I have dozens of cookbooks, some I read for general information and some because they are like a foodie tour around another country. But there are very few I go back to again and again for actual recipes, like Yotam Ottolenghi's 'Plenty' and Mary Berry's 'Baking Bible'. We are often tempted by great photographs that can promise much but don't actually deliver. If I had the money to go out and buy just one more book, which one do you keep going back to and actually cook from that you would recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Easy entertaining, darina allen

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The happy pear cookbook

Low gi vegetarian by Rose Elliot

Baby led weaning recipes by gill raphley

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Can't remember the last time I used a cookbook, it's always the internet now. Sorry! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I've made a few recipes from The Happy Pear and they have turned out really well, it's becoming my go to cookbook. I like the "Year in Avoca" book too.

Funny you should mention Ottolenghi's Plenty, picked it up in a bookstore today for a look. Whilst it's a beautiful book I felt some of the recipes were not very practical, more of a pretty coffe table type book than a day to day book of recipes. But like I said, I only scanned through it so I'm open to correction.

Advertisement