Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite Cook Book/Recipe/Food-related Site?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

To be honest, I rarely use cookery books at all these days, despite having a large pile of them in the kitchen gathering dust. Mostly I end up either just Googling a list of main ingredients and seeing what turns up, or using the BBC Good Food website and entering a list of ingredients there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnet, not as much a cookbook more an ideas book for food

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I find the Nigel Slater books the most useful ones that I do actually use. They do have recipes, but they're more guidelines than rigidly defined recipes, and he goes into what variations you could make on the basic recipes depending on what you have available or your own personal tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I just got Delia's Complete Cookery Course. Love the look of it from my initial perusal of it. Hoping himself might find it good as well, as he is keen to expand his range but is finding it hard to jump into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

corblimey wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new cook book full of interesting recipes to try. It's been an ongoing NY resolution for the last 5 years to cook one new thing per month, and add it to my repertoire if it works (and never speak of it again if it doesn't, I'm looking at you, beef kofta curry).

I've checked the Amazon top ten, but nothing jumps out at me (I have no interest in 'super' foods, or sirt food, whatever that is) so I think I'll have to go classic. I have a Good Housekeeping Step by Step which I don't think I've cracked open, so that'll be first one my list, but I'm interested in other titles (say pre-Jamie, pre-Nigella, etc).

PS: the most straightforward the better, really, something with 20-30 ingredients, a portion of which are only available at full moon on a tuesday in the himalayas is not my thing.

Keith Floyd, Delia Smith, Myrtle Allen, Darina Allen, Nigel Slater, Two Fat Ladies all have reliable recipes that aren't ridiculous. Each author has a variety of different books so try borrowing/ordering from the library first until you find your personal favourite(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

I've cooked some of the recipes (eg. smoked coley pie, chicken a la King) on biamaith.ie and they went down a storm with my family!! I would highly recommend you give the site a look. A chef called Liam Boland does it and he has just published a book of over 100 of his recipes. I ordered it yesterday and can't wait to get my hands on it!! He does Thai and Indian food too as well as desserts and more traditional Irish food. He's big on meal planning and budget meals too which is how I stumbled across his website. I've improved my cooking skills too - and that's just from the website. Hurry up Mr Postman!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

My favourites are the wagamama cookbook ways with noodles or else everyday harumi. Two great Japanese style cooking books.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Curries of the World by Atul Kochhar. It is amazing!!! He is a 2 Starred Michelin Chef and was the first Indian Chef in the world to achieve a Michelin star rating. The book is fab. Split into not only Indian but everything from Thai, Burmese, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Indonesian, East African, the Gulf States and the West Indies. Everything is covered and a picture for every curry which is what i love in a good cook book! If yer a fan of curries it is one for the shelf. Starting with the Kalamantan Chicken Curry. Absolutely outstanding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Can't wait for this book to come out next month. Malaysian chef Norman Musa, who's appeared in Tom Kerridge's show Best Ever Dishes is releasing Amazing Malaysian. Got a sneak peak from his Instagram and it looks pretty good.

wp_ss_20160117_0002_zps1caq6aaz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Keep an eye out for books by the late Rafi Fernandez. I was at one of her classes some years ago and have a couple of her books. Great recipes with no pfaffing around.

The Happy Pear is £4.99 (€6.85) at amazon at the moment, in case anyone's interested. I've just placed an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Can't wait for this book to come out next month. Malaysian chef Norman Musa, who's appeared in Tom Kerridge's show Best Ever Dishes is releasing Amazing Malaysian. Got a sneak peak from his Instagram and it looks pretty good.

wp_ss_20160117_0002_zps1caq6aaz.jpg

Got my copy this evening, already spotted half a dozen recipes i want to try!

Minder wrote: »
    Got my copy this evening, already spotted half a dozen recipes i want to try!

Oh goody. Mine is arriving on Monday.
    When I placed the order, amazon also suggested "Chicken and Rice" by Shu Han Lee is coming out later. Oh man. The dilemma of a cookbook hoarder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Oh goody. Mine is arriving on Monday.
    When I placed the order, amazon also suggested "Chicken and Rice" by Shu Han Lee is coming out later. Oh man. The dilemma of a cookbook hoarder.

Now you've done it! Pre-ordered on Amazon as I type. What do you do when you have too many cookbooks? Buy more bookshelves!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I discovered this guy on Youtube the other day and he's got some really great recipes. Lots of them are very simple and quick but they all look delicious and most of them are healthy too. I think he's got a cookbook out too but I'm going to try a few more recipes off the site before buying it. Made the banana bread today, I over cooked it a little but it tastes delicious and will toast well. A lot of the measurements are in cups which is annoying and apparently Australian cups are different from other cups?

https://www.youtube.com/user/bondiharvest

Minder wrote: »
    Now you've done it! Pre-ordered on Amazon as I type. What do you do when you have too many cookbooks? Buy more bookshelves!

Hahahahah! :D
    Let me know what it's like when it arrives in May. I love her blog MummyICanCook.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Sin1981

Does any know of a good cookbook. I'm looking for something that has good dinner recipes, and not full of recipes where you have the seek unusual/expensive ingredients etc.
    Basically, just a nice cookbook with straight forward dinner ideas.

thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Heya Sin1981, this is our cookbooks & recipe sites mega thread!

I'm toting Nigel Slater's 'The 30 Minute Cook' around in my bag at the minute, I like it for quick dinner ideas (although our ideas of what unusual ingredients are might not be the same), it's worth a goo, with added bonus of being regularly spotted in charity shops because it's quite old.

Highly recommend borrowing cookbooks from the library before buying them, to get an idea of whether you like one before dropping €€ on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭balliali

Hi, have a selection of cookery books, ranging from locally created charity ones, to Darina Allen, ICA, Happy pear, Roz Purcell, a Jamie Oliver, All in the Cooking 1, etc.... what cookery book can you recommend or you do keep returning to...(yes, I love them) and ones which my adult children might enjoy "dipping into" too. Usual family cooking with an odd "party" dish or dessert included etc. Am not "into" sugarcraft etc, Thanks in advance.:)

• Advertisement

balliali wrote: »
    Hi, have a selection of cookery books, ranging from locally created charity ones, to Darina Allen, ICA, Happy pear, Roz Purcell, a Jamie Oliver, All in the Cooking 1, etc.... what cookery book can you recommend or you do keep returning to...(yes, I love them) and ones which my adult children might enjoy "dipping into" too. Usual family cooking with an odd "party" dish or dessert included etc. Am not "into" sugarcraft etc, Thanks in advance.:)

A Year in Avoca. And Diana Henry's books.

I'd like to get a good, reliable Middle Eastern/Levant/Persian cookbook. I've browsed countless times through Ottolenghi's, Sabrina Ghayour's, Saffron Tales, Palestine on a Plate, and many others, but I've yet to decide which to get. My knowledge on the cuisine is pretty limited, but every time I try them at a friend's house (she's Iraqi) I love them and I know there's more to it. I'm dying to try tahdig but not confident enough to cook it.
    Can anyone suggest a good book?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I really like the masterchef cookery course book. It's well illustrated and goes from the basics right up to more difficult meals. I use that one the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I'd like to get a good, reliable Middle Eastern/Levant/Persian cookbook. I've browsed countless times through Ottolenghi's, Sabrina Ghayour's, Saffron Tales, Palestine on a Plate, and many others, but I've yet to decide which to get. My knowledge on the cuisine is pretty limited, but every time I try them at a friend's house (she's Iraqi) I love them and I know there's more to it. I'm dying to try tahdig but not confident enough to cook it.
    Can anyone suggest a good book?

Yes, get Jerusalem by Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi. It's pretty much my favourite cookbook and we have about five shelves of cookbooks. Consistently yummy food that is relatively easy to prepare and utilise interesting techniques.

Yes, get Jerusalem by Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi. It's pretty much my favourite cookbook and we have about five shelves of cookbooks. Consistently yummy food that is relatively easy to prepare and utilise interesting techniques.

Thanks! Just ordered from Amazon.

I'm a big fan of Japanese food, but I'm living in a UK town with very little beyond sushi. I YEARN for a decent donburi (I'm looking at you, Miyazaki...), so I decided to buy JapanEasy by Tim Anderson to learn how to make my own Japanese food.

51tOU-ekgRL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It only arrived yesterday so I haven't actually cooked anything yet, but just from flicking through, I love it. It's really relaxed and chatty in style, and makes everything seem really achievable. It's also quite funny! I'm really looking forward to trying it out :). (Although, truth be told, it only has a couple of donburi recipes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fiona Uyema's book is quite good. Her katsu curry & warm salad of leaves and beans are fabulous!

Faith wrote: »
    makes everything seem really achievable.

Don’t believe him about the ease of making gyoza! Mr Faith and I thought it might be fun to make gyoza from scratch together. Three hours and the threat of a divorce later, we had some really tasty gyoza in front of us. But the take home message was, buy the wrappers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I spent a few hours one Sunday making gyoza with bought wrappers. Flatly refused offers of assistance because I know how that goes in our house. The crimping was a pita, but they were really worth it. Cold beer & spicy, salty, zingy ponzu make the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I mentioned it before in a few other threads but my cook book of the year is Half-baked harvest. Her blog is just as good and I tried many recipes and they're all really delicious.
    Love the healthy approach to food and then the really indulgent dessert section.
    The chocolate oat cookies have been made here many many times and are usually our "bring sweets to XY" contribution.

Advertisement