Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 MMORPG on the Net

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Errr... how exactly did Blizzard have experience with MMORPG's long before WoW? Ok, maybe you could, if you were desperate, lump Diablo/Diablo 2 into that category, but I really wouldnt. First of all, it only handled 8 simultaneous connections and there are huge differences between the amount of data stored about a Diablo 2 character, compared to a WoW character.

As for Mythic/EA, the most important factor here is money. EA have lots of it, they look at WoW and realise the potential for money in a popular MMORPG. They realise the potential for WHO to be popular (or they would never have bought it) and they already have lots of money. Money is what makes things go around and EA have plenty of it to throw at WHO.

Blizzard was relatively small when they first launched WoW and that changed very quickly. As for any difficulties they have with server/maintenance/management that goes hand-in-hand with the sheer size of this and many other MMORPG's.

So then, the only reason WHO is seen as the holy grail of the genre, is because WoW isnt.

WoW is fun, its involving and its entertaining. But its also incredibly boring. The PvP is ridiculously simplistic, the character development/seperation/differences, whatever you want to call it, are non-existent. The game world is all the same (go here, get this, come back. Kill X of Y, etc. etc.).

WHO promises to change all that and even if it doesnt, it will be new and shiny and that alone will be worth several thousand customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Re: the GW v's Blizz who ripped who off comment......I would say that they have each taken influence from each other to reach where they are today.

Have you any examples of how the games workshop have been influenced by blizzard?

Mythic has much more experience of running MMORPGs than blizzard do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Excuse my ignorance, but aren't all MMORPG more or less the same?

Any that I've played (mostly free) involve tedious children with a level 7800 battle mage (or some such) saying things like "fagot" or you "noob" as they kill you, endless killing of mosters to level up to face the next set of monsters that, although bigger, are basically the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Memnoch wrote:
    As far as upcoming PvP MMO's go Warhammer Online is definately one to watch, however with EA recently buying Mythic, my hopes for this game have gone down a few notches.

Indeed, I seriously hope that they pull this one off. If they can capture the very dark atmosphere that Warhammer has, the game will take a giant D.U.M.P. all over WOW, and WOW will smile politely and ask for more.

Any that I've played (mostly free) involve tedious children with a level 7800 battle mage (or some such) saying things like "fagot" or you "noob" as they kill you, endless killing of mosters to level up to face the next set of monsters that, although bigger, are basically the same.

Yes, clearly we're all a bunch of tedious children and all MMORPG's are the same.
    It begs the question then, what are you doing here you 'fag0t noob'.

Please, blatant trollism or sheer ignorance? The variety amongst MMORPG's is so large that they even let Sony and EA make ones...

Now, begone pest, back to your Fifa '06 game and trouble us no more :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deadlocked

Ivan wrote:
    Yes, clearly we're all a bunch of tedious children and all MMORPG's are the same.

Please, blatant trollism or sheer ignorance? The variety amongst MMORPG's is so large that they even let Sony and EA make ones...

*Smiles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Some1

As a Runescape player (one and a half years of my life wasted), I think Runescape is so sucessful because it has a free part of the game and that hooks you on to it untill you finally realise that you should go out more often and get some sunlight but that's enough of my problums....

So all in all it's a great game but don't juge it by the free part or you'll think the game is made up of a load of 9 year olds that think there cool saying "OMFG IZ GONNA HAXXORZ J00!!!!!!"

(I'm trying soooo hard not to make this look like an ad :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Ohh, Ive tried Runescape. Got bored after 5 minutes. But dont take my word for it as Im more of an action game player. But chopping down a tree for firewood...... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING

GWAN The oversized weaponary in Planetside :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Where is GW? :p

Ivan wrote:

genuine question, ignorant answer.

if you read my post (and read your unnecessarily vitriolic retort) you would see that.

• Advertisement

genuine question, ignorant answer.

if you read my post (and read your unnecessarily vitriolic retort) you would see that.
    How's this then?

This sentence does not alone forgive your ignorance when you then go on to further and blatantly compound on it. Instead of asking a question, or at the very least asking a question which is hidden beneath an array of myths, fallacys and blatant misinterpretations, you basically call the users of this forum a bunch of
    tedious children with a level 7800 battle mage (or some such) saying things like "fagot" or you "noob" as they kill you

I really wouldnt mind this attitude and would instead take the oppurtunity to educate you, however you then go on to sum up the vast complexity of many of my beloved MMORPG's with the simple phrase
    endless killing of mosters to level up to face the next set of monsters that, although bigger, are basically the same.

All the while confessing that these opinions are based on
    Any that I've played (mostly free)

free mmorpg's, of which (any that I can think of), are browser based, are in korean or are just crap.

Now, with all of that said, I do realise I was incredibly hostile and arrogant, (not to be mistaken for ignorance) however you have to see it from my perspective. This is a thread about the best MMORPG's, on a forum dedicated to MMORPG's. You then come on and in not so many words, you claim all MMORPG's are the same and as such are all crap.

I'd love to hear your response to that from my perspective :o

P.s. for the record, no, not all MMORPG's are the same. They are not all played by tedious children. Not all of them involve player versus. player killing and not all involve player vs. monster killing. If you would like to be further educated, feel free to start your own thread and employ those clearly developed english skills and the rest of us would be delighted to continue the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Hope SOE are happy with what their changes have done to SWG, they now have a whole 1.4%!

Ivan wrote:
    for the record, no, not all MMORPG's are the same. They are not all played by tedious children. Not all of them involve player versus. player killing and not all involve player vs. monster killing.

Thanks for answering my question!

Possibly you picked up the tone of my question wrong. That's the only reason I can think of think for your farcical hissy-fit and hilariously cliquish FIFA ‘06 comment.

I've played 4 MMORPS games in my time: Lineage 2; Navyfield; Fly for Fun; and Knight Online, none of these were browser based. My personal experience of them was that there was a high percenmtage of kids playing. At no time did I say they were solely played by children. Again, in the games I played, there appeared to be a huge amount of repetition and unyielding targeting of weaker/newer players.

Maybe you should refrain from attacking someone who was asking a genuine question. It's not like I called your mother a whore or anything. Relax. I would think that you would take the time to correct me rather than insulting me for my lack of exposure to your "beloved MMORPG's". In the time that it took you to write your previous polemic you could have answered my question and that would have been that.

If I insulted your beloved computer games, I'm sorry. But to attempt to offend me because YOU misinterpreted my post is uncalled for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

fly for fun lol... i thought it had potential....looked very rose online sadly it was tripe

So did I

Again you come across as condescending while "trying" to make your point though I noticed you subtley avoided mine... But please, dont flatter yourself, I never intended to offend you, I merely desired to humorously mocking your blatant ignorance, in an effort to bring some sort of humour to those who would come looking to this thread for a discussion between their peers and find only your nonsensical ramblings.

Oh and I quite enjoy Fifa 2003, though I imagine that irony is lost on you. However, I did play Lineage 2 during beta and all I can say is its utter shíte... no wonder you have such a narrow view of MMORPG's.

Still to each their own, eh?

Ivan wrote:
    I never intended to offend you,

Well, as far as I can be insulted when talking about computer games, you did cause offence. You admitted as much yourself:
    "I do realise I was incredibly hostile and arrogant"

I had a reply typed in response to your last post, but there is really no point in arguing. Accept my apology for any offence I inadvertently caused (I didn't realise that it was such a touchy subject) and we'll leave it at that, Ivan.

Realising after the fact that i was hostile and arrogant is different from realising before the fact.

But ok, I accept your apology.

Hallelujah!

Lets never fight again, Ivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

get a room..

sadly he is right, MOST mmorpgs are the same..

endless grind of killing x monsters to get y level, wow expanded well on this theme, but there are games out there that do offer nice variety and a true game play challenge, DAOC did it with it's RvR, EVE is quite good also, even WoW has it's moments, hopefully some of the upcoming ones will bring new innovation to the genre...

but look at most foot ball games or beat em ups or RTS games, you could say they are all the same pretty much...

that's the whole point of having a genre of games so it's not like you were making some kind of divine deduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

most MMO's are the same tho..... and although the likes of lineage and everquest were good when they first arrived, they just look very dated and boring compared to WOW. for the newbie in the MMO scene, wow is such a good game, so much to do and so much to achieve, from getting to lvl 40 and riding on a mount for the first time to receiving ur first epic drop or attending ur first 40 man raid. i think the reason wow is so big is that the game gets better the more you play and as some ppl say the adventure only begins when u reach lvl 60 ( depending on ur experience can take several months to reach)

Warhammer looks very much like wow with slightly ****tier looking orcs and poor looking armor and weapons, i think BC will only further increase the amount of ppl that play wow.

HUXLEY, i think this is a game to look out for, FPS MMO ftw ! if the game runs smooth it could be awesome !

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

ye a mmo fps game would be lethal wouldnt it..imagine like having huge maps..like the film saving private ryan, and every one has there soldier that either storms the beach,jumps out of planes and parachutes behind battery guns..some drop over night before battle..some drive planes and helicopters and boats..some special ones have different objectives etc..be lethal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Magill wrote:
    HUXLEY, i think this is a game to look out for, FPS MMO ftw ! if the game runs smooth it could be awesome !
    FPS mmo ... like Planetside? ... play that for free and still have good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

yeah that huxley game looks lethal is that out yet ye?

That cant be in game....

well some would be..downlaod the video they have their on there website it shows the in game footage..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've only ever played free Runescape and liked it...oh well. I don't have near enough time to play games these days but if I did I would certainly try subscribing to one or two. :)

Incidentally, the guys who created Runescape, live around the corner form me in Cambridge, I walk past their house every weekend, where Runescape was first programmed before they moved to the business park. I might make a plaque and stick it on the wall one day as I walk past :)

Cool.

Im retired from runescape at the moment. Only will come back if something worthwhile comes out.

Dont really want to get into any other MMORPGs as my course is hard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Hellm0 wrote:
    I'm a little out of sync with MMORPG's these days, used to play UO and DAOC. Anyone any ideas as to the most popular PVP oriented game out these days? I really miss the stealth classes in daoc, nothing quite like stalking other players with the intention of killing them.

did ya play on american or us server?? stealth is gone practically from daoc now just all tanks and casters. it only gonna last another few months until warhammer comes out

Advertisement