Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I hate GW - *Rant Warning*

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jazzy wrote: »
    are chaos still unfair? they get updated every so often when they arent unfair enough.

Yet when you turn one of them into slag with your melta wielding Imperial guardsman, surrounded by his flash-light armed buddies, tis a buzz like no other......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

ARgH! I Was so pissed of with the complete vanillaization of the new Chaos Marines Codex with regards to greater daemons. What a feckin copout.

chaos greater daemons were just broken, At least in the old edd they were.

300pts or less (I dont play chaos) and they could pretty much destroy armys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

And its their job to fix them, not completely take away any character they had.

They still hae tonnes of character, There still strong,tough..etc. Besides there changing 40k so that characters do alot less dmg then what they used to be able to do. at least thats what ive noticed with all the new 5th ed codexes

*shrugs* If thats your opinion, I can't argue. I just wish a Chaos Marine army could field a bloodthirster, not a generic Greater Daemon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 slummingangel

"
    My biggest problem with GW is the staff. They are fine if you are 13 but not if your in your late teens or any older. I refuse to go near the place due to my last experience there.
    I was 18 and it was just after the LOTR game was released. I hadn’t played any GW game in years but I wanted to get one of the Art books. I went in, knew what I wanted, saw it on the shelf at the back but before I could get there a staff member greets me at the door with "Hi. Would you like to try the new LOTR game". I explain that im not interested and that I Just want the Art Book. He follows me to the back of the store quizzing me about the book I want. He takes it off the shelf before I can get it myself and starts looking through it and giving me his opinions on each of the drawings! After about 30 secs of this, iv had enough of his abundant lack of social skills, grab my own copy and head to the register. As im getting my change back the guy behind the register asks "Would you like to try the new LOTR game?"..... he was 3 feet away when I said I wasn’t interested the first time!!!/QUOTE]

my problem exactly a "no no just browsing" simply suffices. you might try the headphones in ears tactic i use on chuggers (i don't own a mp3) don't know how succesfull this is in GW

was in on monday killing time just browsing and was surprised at the prices they hadn't seemed to change but i read a post here on reduced amount of models in it. When i met up with my brother later on yesterday i decide t bring him in to show him the new stuff. one of the staff got talking to us and asked us why we stopped we said in unison "time and money" it knocked him for six

P.S those ork stompa's are E95 a pop so that would a 950 squig on 10 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

*shrugs* If thats your opinion, I can't argue. I just wish a Chaos Marine army could field a bloodthirster, not a generic Greater Daemon.
    Wait, what happened?

I feel the GDs were overpowered sure but youre right, they at least brought some class to an army.

Whats happened to bluddykins?

I'll check the codex again tomorrow, but there are now no individual greater daemons, just one generic fecker. They saved the individuals for the Chaos Daemons army. Grumble....mutter.......

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

GW staff sales technique is a bit of a culture shock when you go into GW shop first, since in no other hobby shop does anyone pretend to notice you've even entered, and you do come across some loopers among the staff but when they get used to you they don't come on so strong.
    I use a retalitory technique I learned on some course I had to go on where the facilitator was telling us how to deal with salesmen. "If you're not saying NO you're saying yes" In other words make it clear at the start that you're just looking. Never answer their first question with a "well.." or "Maybe..." or even "Not Really..." Say "NO, I'm not interested in that, I want..." If necessary hold up your hand in a stop gesture. You may have to repeat this once. Actually you're doing them a favour by making it clear they wasting their time trying to sell you something and they can go bother someone else. It helps if you look as cranky as me though :mad:

I wonder do GW HQ send in secret shoppers to check if the staff are enthusiastically trying to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

As a buyer of the novels rather than the tabletop stuff I avoid GW in Liffey due to the staff constantly wasting my time trying to sell me crap. Last time I went in was when the Nagash the Sorcerer book came out and the guy at the counter running off in the middle of ringing up the sale to grab a box of undead something or other. Even after telling him Id no interest in the tabletop games he rushed off to find some 40K stuff I might be into :eek:

I walked out at that point and got said book in Waterstones.

• Advertisement

Was it cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Was it cheaper?

Speaking of cheaper I was in Blanch looking for Ork DeffKoptas and the only ones available were in the [FONT=&quot]Assault on Black Reach box set which the friendly assistant recommended I buy for €60 and then sell all the stuff, I didn't want in it, on Ebay because "loads of people do that" His face fell when I said I'd pass on buying the set but would look on ebay for anyone unloading the Defkoptas from their black Reach set :D which I did and got them for a tenner.[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Was it cheaper?

Think is was the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 oniondublin

I was in Blanch looking for Ork DeffKoptas and the only ones available were in the [font=&quot]Assault on Black Reach box set .[/font]

i presume they'll be bringing these out in their own plastic set some time in the near future. something like the warbikes. although is anyone else not crazy about the black reach deffkopta minis? i just think they're a little unnecessary, warbikes are far orkier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm a bit surprised about all the references to the Imperium's fascism. I thought this was the whole point.

I never found Warhammer to glorify how crappy life was; they seemed to highlight this as an extremely miserable existance.

The Imperium is terrible, I havn;t seen the new rulebook (only one I read had the Black Templars on the cover and the box set came with Dark Eldar) but it was filled with psykers being sacrificed to the Emperor, the Inquisition destroying entire worlds, torture/genocide and collateral damage being accepted (I vividly remmber a quote saying something along the lines of "It is better for 1000 innocents to die than for one heretic to get away")

Empire isn't much better, the books and novels are filled with an empire that is rich but with citizens living in abject poverty and cultists and mutants undermining the empire. The high elves are decadent, the Dwarves too vengeful and stuck in the past, wood elves are annoyingly insular etc etc. Even the Bretonnians have moved away from King Arthur and become much darker with inbred brutish peasants and feudal arrogant knights.

I love the shades of grey aspect, it makes the games far more realistic and fun to play than bright happy RPGs filled with green forests and happy villagers. The message seemed to be of how sh!t life was with millions of people dying to stabilise a precarious regime, albeit the alternative of Chaos was much worse.

I've had great experinces with Warhammer, it was incredibly expensive as a kid but I got into it through friends and had many happy hours painting and gaming (although I look back on my early attempts and absolutelyt cringe; the ancient dwarf models absolutely caked in thick paint)
    My favourite thing about it was the fluff; army books, novels etc. I'd even buy army books just to read the background material.
    THe new models look jaw droppingly amazing but I'm disappointed by the costs; 17.50 for 10 empire soldiers when you could've previously gotten 20 for €25. Ditto for Imperial Guard; 10 Cadians is shockingly poor value. THat said, I was always far more into the modelling and painting and displaying the army than fielding it, although the new models are always so awesome looking you badly want them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its the fluff that will draw you back time after time. Theres a grim joy to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

I can only speak with regard to the Belfast staff, but I have found the staff of the Belfast store now at least to be great. I started up the hobby again just before the new Black Reach set, at that time the new washes were set for release.

The staff member in question here is a guy called Andy. He asked me if I was interested in getting some, I was like, "well what do they do?". He told me there were a number of ways to use them, but that he would just show me. The demo he gave was really good as he showed how you could bring flat colour to life with the washes. I ended up buying them, but my point is that I didnt feel that he was trying to ram them down my throat. Since then he has offered me conversion advice and asks how my army is going when I'm in.

Rob, the manager of the Belfast store, is also a sound guy. He has given me advice on painting several times, one of which was telling me not to buy one of the brushes I brought to the counter. Rob is also keen on seeing the gaming community in Belfast grow. I can attest to this as he helped out at Q-Con. That obviously helps the shop out, but it also helps gamers meet other gamers.

I suppose the staff will be different no matter where you go and it will come down to the approach of the individuals selling technique. Obviously the staff in Belfast are looking to meet target like any other store. But I have yet to see them be bastards or unpleasant to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Warmaster

mr_kyle wrote: »
    I can only speak with regard to the Belfast staff, but I have found the staff of the Belfast store now at least to be great. I started up the hobby again just before the new Black Reach set, at that time the new washes were set for release.

The staff member in question here is a guy called Andy. He asked me if I was interested in getting some, I was like, "well what do they do?". He told me there were a number of ways to use them, but that he would just show me. The demo he gave was really good as he showed how you could bring flat colour to life with the washes. I ended up buying them, but my point is that I didnt feel that he was trying to ram them down my throat. Since then he has offered me conversion advice and asks how my army is going when I'm in.

Rob, the manager of the Belfast store, is also a sound guy. He has given me advice on painting several times, one of which was telling me not to buy one of the brushes I brought to the counter. Rob is also keen on seeing the gaming community in Belfast grow. I can attest to this as he helped out at Q-Con. That obviously helps the shop out, but it also helps gamers meet other gamers.

I suppose the staff will be different no matter where you go and it will come down to the approach of the individuals selling technique. Obviously the staff in Belfast are looking to meet target like any other store. But I have yet to see them be bastards or unpleasant to customers.

Rob's a good friend of mine, as is Nic in the Belfast store, I worked with them a few years back. Rob loves the hobby, genuinely, and wants nothing more than gamers to get going in this country stronger than currently. And he's a bloody awesome painter!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Warmaster wrote: »
    Rob's a good friend of mine, as is Nic in the Belfast store, I worked with them a few years back. Rob loves the hobby, genuinely, and wants nothing more than gamers to get going in this country stronger than currently. And he's a bloody awesome painter!

Nic advised me on how to pin my obliterators, one of them is in the other thread. But I'm glad you can attest to my points, cause there is alot of GW staff hate going on here. I'm def not saying said individuals don't deserve it, but rather pointing out some good staff for contrast.

i presume they'll be bringing these out in their own plastic set some time in the near future. something like the warbikes. although is anyone else not crazy about the black reach deffkopta minis? i just think they're a little unnecessary, warbikes are far orkier.

Nah I think they are exclusive to the Black reach box set, well thats what ive been told by a staff member!

Although who knows, Anything can happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement