Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever lost the rag and trottled a skobe on the street?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pet wrote:
    Is it really? If you were fighting all the time at home, would they really turn around and stick up for you at school? :confused:
    Make no mistake, we love each other. Just are very physical.
    It was good fun.
    I also wouldn't really feel comfortable getting them involved, since it's not their business/fight, and they could end up gettin hurt and it'd be my fault.
    I didn't mean it like that, basically, people were afraid to start something with one of us because there were three other brothers (5' 10 12 stone and up, that's intimidating in school), in the school.
    Man my school was just packed full of knackers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

bluewolf wrote:
    Is the thread title in some kind of code?

Yes; English.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Does his use of this word not bother anyone else? Surely americanisms are for the skobes?

EDIT:
    Just in case you're not sure, it's called a FOOTPATH!

FYI when putting together the original post I did ponder the use of pavement, footpath or sidewalk. I choose sidewalk as this was a wide street in around the centre of London. The space for walking on this sidewalk is about 6 or 7 metres wide at a random guesstimation. Footpath would be more apt to a windy or narrow boreen green in my opinion. Then again, in my opinion, you must be an idiot for a comment like the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I get some awful stick off some fellas on my road all around 16,17 but one time i was out walking my niece in her buggy trying to get her to sleep when they egged me i could have killed them but thankfully kept my temper unfortunatly when i went in my brother had noticed and went out to them.being a very protective older brother 30 years old he proceded to grab one of them hold him up against the wall and shout at him to leave me alone.unfortunatly it didnt work so im still plotting my revenge.

ive a feeling that post will be very confusing to read sorry but i didnt know how to phrase it better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭last_orders

just once, a gang of 4 tinkers sprinted out of nowhere an ran after me when i was on my bike. i presumed they were gonna rob my bike as something similar happened to a mate a week earlier so that was all that was flashing through my mind, when one got close enough i jus swung out my fist bursting his nose open, he fell an his little buddies stopped to help him an i was off on my merry way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Never had any problems in galway. Never see any knackers here really.

Really? They're always in the square, and stereotpyically perfect as outlined in the first few posts - big groups, loads of chains, peaked caps, 90% of them wearing matching striped jumpers, etc.

Never really had any trouble with them myself but I hate the sight of them, see them try and intimidate people all the time. They work on a pretty basic principle of mob pressure - I've never seen them - ever - try and harass a group that was the same size as theirs, let alone bigger.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Round where i live, theres this group of pikey kids. they're round 7 - 12 years old. While hanging round where we usually do, these pikes like to chase us and start on us, sayin things like 'oh, what'd you say bouh her fellah' and stuff.Its actually kinda funny. The other day, me and some other mates were messin about, as usual, and were very bored. So we climbed trees. Outta nowhere, the pikies come. One (small, 7 yr old girl) has the top of a metal shovel. Two other fellas have (****ty) pellet guns. So we're surrounded in this tree by pikies, and a girl (12) begins climbing. Me and my mates are 16/17, and their her dad looks like the kinda guy who would KILL you. So we can't do ANYTHING!! Theres a pikey in the tree, with a stick, smacking us whilw we get down, other pikies shooting us and another one with a shovel! so we did the only thing you can do in a situation like that..... we ran. I Fooking HATE those pikies. I hope they all become brain damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

im still plotting my revenge.
    a very protective older brother.

simplify man! simplify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

a gang of 4 tinkers .
    I object to the term tinkers. :P

I had a similar one. Outside the square, gone to see a movie with my girl after college, one of them grabbed her ass. I've never snapped so fast in my life. There was 6 of them but it just didnt matter. I never reacted so fast in my life. I got him well enough but the other 5 of his friends all got plenty of kicks in on me. Looking back it was not a smart move and i'm lucky i didnt end up bad at all, a few bruises and cuts only etc. Next time i would just "ignore" the situation because the girl seemed quite dissapointed for sum reason...so maybe its not the right thing to do.

Edit: omg! is that wat u people think my name means? i spend alot of time thinking about random stuff, thats all! ....ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭last_orders

theTinker wrote:
    I object to the term tinkers. :P

i apologise, travellers i should of said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

When I was on a dart home ages ago some scrote (about 17/18) kept running up & down the train, through the Emergency doors (I was sitting right beside it). It happened about 10 times in the space of 5 minutes, door slamming & all that. I basically lost it & proceeded to put my foot ot so that the next time he tried to push the door open it rebounded straight into his face...he didn't know what was going on...needless to say the GF wasn't impressed!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

When I was in my teens (some time ago now, to be fair) there was this pointless little scrote in my estate who used to chant little rhymes with my name in at me every time I walked in and out of my parents house. He had about four or five mates who did the same. They were younger than me, by about two years, and again I felt I couldn't do much about it because you just don't clobber kids who are younger than you.

I ignored it. For years. I would get 'sung' at and have abuse chanted at me (from a distance of about 40 feet - they were loud, but not brave) every single time I went in or came out of my parent's house. My friends were recognised and these scrote kids would shout stuff at them too. Every day. For years. It was like processional background noise every time I came and went from my house.

When I was 16, and more hormonal, it became more and more difficult to control my temper. I started to get worried that I'd really snap and decapitate one of the little barstewards.

I came into the house one day, clearly agitated, and my mother asked me what was wrong, so I said to her "It's suited you to ignore the fact that the other little darlings in this estate have seen fit to chant at me for years, and I've taken it, because you and I both know you don't want to look bad in front of the neighbours. Here's the deal. You sort this out, or I'm going to snap and throttle that little fcuker, and if I start punching him I'm not going to stop."

So yep, I told me ma. She looked very sheepish. I went out. Later that afternoon, while I was out, (and I know this because one of my mates saw it and confirmed it), the youngfella who had led the chanting wobbled over to my parents house. My mother had phoned his father (go confrontation mom, she phoned his dad, who lives 90 seconds away) and told him that it needed to stop. His father was so mortified at the call from the ma, he had leathered the youngfella within an inch of his life. The little scrote was bawling, sobbing so hard he couldn't stand, and he'd been sent over to the house to apologise to me.

When I look back on it, I'm relieved I wasn't home to be honest, I would have been mortified as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

HavoK wrote:
    Really? They're always in the square.

Im in town most days Havok and i dont see them, even around there square.Sure you'll see a bunch of them now and again but nothing like everyday and certainly not "intimidating people all the time".Compared to other citys in Ireland ive been in there aint that many scummers in the city centre ,they like to hang in their own "hood".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Stupid question but what is a skope/skobe? Is it a scumbag or whatever.

Check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scobe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

andrew wrote:
    Round where i live, theres this group of pikey kids. they're round 7 - 12 years old. While hanging round where we usually do, these pikes like to chase us and start on us, sayin things like 'oh, what'd you say bouh her fellah' and stuff.Its actually kinda funny. The other day, me and some other mates were messin about, as usual, and were very bored. So we climbed trees. Outta nowhere, the pikies come. One (small, 7 yr old girl) has the top of a metal shovel. Two other fellas have (****ty) pellet guns. So we're surrounded in this tree by pikies, and a girl (12) begins climbing. Me and my mates are 16/17, and their her dad looks like the kinda guy who would KILL you. So we can't do ANYTHING!! Theres a pikey in the tree, with a stick, smacking us whilw we get down, other pikies shooting us and another one with a shovel! so we did the only thing you can do in a situation like that..... we ran. I Fooking HATE those pikies. I hope they all become brain damaged.

You really should have pissed on them.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Dam I hate Scum.

But why is it that your so called mates who know kendo, karate, judo, kickboxing and all that other lark seem to disappear when trouble starts. I have a mate (loosely defined) that spends his evening in one class or other doing all this and when it kicked off once with him walking down Grafton St one night he was nowhere to be seen.

I asked him about this one night when he was acting all big and bad. He answer was something along the lines of "hey if you guys kick the sh*t outta some scum then fine, if I do I lose my licences and I could end up in jail."??? What the feck do you learn it for? I mean I wouldn’t learn Japanese if I wasn’t going to Japan.

Honestly im not a big guy and I used to get some trouble in school for either hair, clothes, shoes, that kinda thing. Once I shaved my head completely I turned into one of them. They can’t recognise the difference unless they ask me about Jazzy Jeff or whatever hip hop artist is popular with the kids these days.

When I did shave me head, people said I looked like a fat junkie. I was happy to cultivate this image as much as a possible. It meant I could go to the top of buses and sit right down the back without any crap. I would be sitting there on me own and 10 scumbags would plow on the bus, upstairs and all the way down to me. This used to worry me and I would be thinking wtf I am sitting down here for? But it’s like they accept me into their clan and as part of this clan I am invited to partake in some of the social down the back on of the bus if you know what I mean.

Just to emphasise how much I look like a scumbag now (I don’t wear caps, adidas, nike, jewellery or any stuff like that but this story proves my point), I was select for Judy Duty last year. At lunch the Garda who took care of us for the week would get a big Garda van and drive us to the Law College were we would get some of the states free food (wasn’t too bad either). On the way back I was last into the big Garda van with blacked out windows so obviously I would be the first one out.

The Garda drove back up to the Four Courts got out and opened the back door, just as he did there was some all 13 year old girls class that looked like they were on a tour of Four Courts walking by. I jumped out of the van and when these girls seen me jumping out in my suit without no handcuffs they screamed and ran (their teacher didn’t stick around either). I just looked at the 6"6 Garda standing next to me and said "Usually I have to start to chat them up before I get that reaction". We both fell about laughing then.

So in conclusion, yeah I sacrificed being liked for sight but it is worth it. Please don’t think I am scumbag due to my appearance. I mean nobody any harm but saying that I don’t want any harm done upon me. If you do see me walking down O’Connell st. please do not be alarmed. This is my attempt to understand them and scum are funny when you take the time to get to know them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Funniest thing I ever saw was a good few years back, there were some right little scumbags standing in a group, about 5 of them, on the side of the street making smart comments at people passing, they were about 15 years of age or so, everyone ignored them.. ahead of me was a guy about 18-19 but well built and his gf who was wearing very little it must be said..

As they passed the group of scumbags, one of them made a comment, without even batting an eyelid, he guy turns and whacks the scumbag with his open hand, knocking him up against the wall and then he falls on the ground.. the guy then stops, looks at the other 4, who froze with fear and shock for a moment and then scattered.. he looks at the guy on the ground, smiles and keeps walking.

I'd say about 20 people nearby, including myself, just fell around the place laughing..

Twas pure class.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

theTinker wrote:
    I had a similar one. Outside the square, gone to see a movie with my girl after college, one of them grabbed her ass. I've never snapped so fast in my life. There was 6 of them but it just didnt matter. I never reacted so fast in my life. I got him well enough but the other 5 of his friends all got plenty of kicks in on me. Looking back it was not a smart move and i'm lucky i didnt end up bad at all, a few bruises and cuts only etc. Next time i would just "ignore" the situation because the girl seemed quite dissapointed for sum reason...so maybe its not the right thing to do.

It's a tough call when someone puts a hand on your girlfriend. Part of you wants to rip their head off.. but you have to remember that your girlfriend is with you, and you don't want anything to happen to her either. I don't think many (decent) girls would hold it against you if you didn't retort with violence toward these scumbags.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

ah had a few fights in primary and secondary schools but lets be honest, they're not serious in retrosepect.

Was out for a run during the winter last year and ran past a pack of these little knacker grunts and they all start cheering, you know: Run forest, stay goin, fag this etc. So I stoped, turned around rolled up my sleaves began roaring "wha' ya fookin' sain'" and they appologised, one started crying. So I went back to what I was doing.
    I feel you need to do this cos they start young, thinking they're cool and invincible and what not. They need perspective.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

HavoK wrote:
    Really? They're always in the square, and stereotpyically perfect as outlined in the first few posts - big groups, loads of chains, peaked caps, 90% of them wearing matching striped jumpers, etc.

Never really had any trouble with them myself but I hate the sight of them, see them try and intimidate people all the time. They work on a pretty basic principle of mob pressure - I've never seen them - ever - try and harass a group that was the same size as theirs, let alone bigger.
    Well the square is just back and even at that I only see the odd one. The stripy jumper people aren't knackers btw...

Also, galway ones are outright polite compared to anywhere else. 'Do you mind if I annoy you? Oh yes, I'll be on my way then.'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

one started crying.

Roffle :D

Your medal is in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Are you serious?.....:rolleyes:

First of all..skobe? You must be from d4.

Second of all, it's not as if he started on you. If he did I would still walk away most of the time. It's just not worth getting the **** kicked out of you (which chances are if you're facing a knacker you probably will, no offence)...or even worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

The worst comeuppance I ever saw a bully get was when I was in 6th class - 12 years old.

A friend of mine was small and not very assertive. The classroom bully focused on him constantly. My friend kept it bottled in until one day when his brothers came home from England on a holiday. They were 23 and 25 years old at the time. They asked him what was wrong and he explained the situation.

The following day the two brothers went up to the school armed with an iron bar and baseball bat respectively. They waited for the bully to come out and once he was identified by their younger brother. They set up on him with their weapons and inflicted a savage beating. Both arms broken, multiple ribs smashed, jaw broken, severe bruising and four or five front teeth knocked out.

End result: the bully spent a few weeks in hospital and was a changed person. He never hassled anybody again.

One wonders if the older guys went over the top but ultimately they were reacting to the situation - not instigating it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

The worst comeuppance I ever saw a bully get was when I was in 6th class - 12 years old.

The following day the two brothers went up to the school armed with an iron bar and baseball bat respectively. They waited for the bully to come out and once he was identified by their younger brother. They set up on him with their weapons and inflicted a savage beating. Both arms broken, multiple ribs smashed, jaw broken, severe bruising and four or five front teeth knocked out.

:eek: :eek: :eek: holy crap! he deserved it but i mean, wow! didnt they get arrested and yaknow, thrown away!?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Not to a "skobe" I did put a motorcycle helmet through a little mammys boy from D4 driver door window for cutting me up on stephens green.

"So I walks up to em; Casual lioke"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

A friend of mine was small and not very assertive. The classroom bully focused on him constantly. My friend kept it bottled in until one day when his brothers came home from England on a holiday. They were 23 and 25 years old at the time. They asked him what was wrong and he explained the situation.

End result: the bully spent a few weeks in hospital and was a changed person. He never hassled anybody again.

One wonders if the older guys went over the top but ultimately they were reacting to the situation - not instigating it.

Damn!!!!! no matter how I felt about bullies in the past - that is literally taking the piss - they could have easily killed him. A couple of slaps are ok or a simple knock down, drag-out fight between the two, but for two older men to go to a school and completely annihilate a boy, I hope they were arrested and prosecuted as they proved themselves worse them bullies, they were simply scum.

Their reaction was completely OTT in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I would say that story recounted by Brian Capture is fictional.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

So Brian, I presume both of them went to Jail then if this really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I never have any trouble with the skangers, for starters Ive a 19 inch neck:eek: and im fairly well built, but mostly coz I look like a criminal anyway, (honestly you should see my passport photo you'd be ringing up the joy to see were they missing someone) Im the guy that never gets into the nightclub no-matter how well dressed I am!
    Also everywhere Ive lived Ive played rugby, and even the skangers are bright enough to know there are 15 guys on a team;)

Although a good few years I was driving down the canal one day in my new (to me) micra(oh the joys of first time insurance) and a little scumbag was selling the hearldd or da press. When I told him i didnt want one he kept on ahhh go-on ahh go-on, so eventually I told him to fcuk off, at which point he got all thick and started walking round my car and bumping off the mirrors and scraping his bag on the bodywork, I told him if he touched my car one more time Id throw him in the canal. so he barely touched the front wing like a little kid, I jumped out of the car grabbed the bag (with him still attached) and started dragging him over to the canal, he started bleating and whining and when I didnt stop dragging he actually started crying, so I just took off his bag and threw that in the canal instead, got back into my car and left him blubbering on the bank. made me smile all day:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

But why is it that your so called mates who know kendo, karate, judo, kickboxing and all that other lark seem to disappear when trouble starts. I have a mate (loosely defined) that spends his evening in one class or other doing all this and when it kicked off once with him walking down Grafton St one night he was nowhere to be seen.

I asked him about this one night when he was acting all big and bad. He answer was something along the lines of "hey if you guys kick the sh*t outta some scum then fine, if I do I lose my licences and I could end up in jail."??? What the feck do you learn it for? I mean I wouldn’t learn Japanese if I wasn’t going to Japan.

Bit of a generalisation no?
    He would get in "extra" trouble because of his skill (if any :rolleyes:) but the big question is what kind of friend would abandon a mate in trouble? :confused: :mad:

Advertisement