Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever lost the rag and trottled a skobe on the street?

Options
  • 08-08-2006 3:36pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On Saturday I was on the way home with my girlfriend. Me, being on the bike having just bought a new chain, was testing it up and about 20 metres ahead of my girlfriend, pedaling along flicking though the gears.

Some young fellow on a bike, probably 16-20, came tearing down the sidewalk towards people at full speed and then skidding a the last second bringing the back wheel around to make them jump out of the way. Seeing him doing this, and then doing it to me, got me slightly pissed off but I didn't do anything. However, when I stopped and my girlfriend caught up she mentioned that he did the same thing to her. I couldn't see her at the time as the street was crowded.

Now at this stage the traffic lights changed colour, green for us so we crossed over. However, the more I thought about the other fellow on the bike and his attempts to intimidate people going about their daily business, the more I wanted to go back and punch his lights out and see what he has to say when he sees that he cannot get away as I'm on a bike faster than his piece of cr@p.

Anyway, needless to say I didn't do anything... but it pissed me off for 30 mins or so...and I was imagining all the things I would do if I had went back... and then wondering what the fall-out would be... i.e. would the other folks on a crowded street step in having seen all of the above or let it go and mind their own business.

Something similar happened to me in France about 2 years ago, some knacker doing wheels down the sidewalk with the front wheel brought up into peoples faces.

Has anyone ever followed through on the above sort of thoughts? I'm not an aggressive person :eek: just interested in others experiences

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Yeah I followed through on a similar situation like this last year. A scope grabbed at my gf at the time, she was in a tube top and he litterally tried to grab her breasts. I turned around and throttled him. Along came four of his mates who wanted to kick my arse, but after I explained what happend they gave out to their mate, apolgised for him and walked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I have had a few moments in the street with scumers, normally only when they put there hands on me or someone within my sight.

It's kinda fun to be honest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Archeron

Sadly not. On the occasions when they give me reason to, there is always a gang of them, and my cowardice/survival genes kick in and tell me to just leave it be.

On another note, this has to have the best thread name I've seen yet. :)

Stupid question but what is a skope/skobe? Is it a scumbag or whatever.

Yeah, once or twice. I'm not a violent person whatsoever. Recently I was on a bus when back towards my house when all of these Austrian/Spannish (there's a big difference, I know, but its hard to tell when yer exhausted) got on the bus. Two of them sat down behind me and started drumming on the back of my seat. Grand if they do it once or twice, but they continued for the whole bus journey.

After 10 minutes of this I wanted to stand up and inform them that if they continued to do that, I would rip off their arms and shove them down their throat so far that they'd be playing the drums out their arse.

I didn't do this, however, but christ it would've felt good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have been tempted plenty of times but probably wouldn't do much but curse or swear. Never been any way close to being a violent chap. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Stupid question but what is a skope/skobe? Is it a scumbag or whatever.

Yeah, a skobe is basically a young knacker who tends to be identified by various stereotypical identifying features.
    These may include: heavy gold or wither silver jewellery, a tracksuit, or parts thereof, trainers in 'brilliant white' or white gloss, a pram, tattoos, an earring (or in the female: hoops). Hair is absent or lacking.

The only time I've felt like hitting one was when one of them (scobes) hit me on Dame Street. But he was on something, and was much bigger than me, so I legged it:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Archeron wrote:
    there is always a gang of them, and my cowardice/survival genes kick in and tell me to just leave it be.

Yep, there was a bunch of other guys further up the street whom I only noticed aftewards. Probably thats why the guy on the bike had the dutch courage.

BossArky wrote:
    Yep, there was a bunch of other guys further up the street whom I only noticed aftewards. Probably thats why the guy on the bike had the dutch courage.

Oh you can be sure that's the case. They rarely act alone. Pure bully tactics, send in the small lad to cause trouble and have all the big lads waiting around the corner to do the bashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the walter mitty gang rides again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I used to lose it a lot in secondary, would only hurt them if they started it. They copped on soon enough to leave me alone.
    First time was in maybe first or second year. Their 'leader' kicked at my bag and I told him to **** off. He kicked me, so I picked him up by the throat with my right hand and slammed him into the door, feet dangling( I've been my full height and weight since around 13/14). Had a few...words.
    Never had any problems in galway. Never see any knackers here really.

• Advertisement

Never had any problems in galway.

Funnily enough I didn't see one scobe while I was in Galway for the races last week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You had eyes only for me, you mean?

I've barely seen one since I came here.
    Unlike at home, where they are everywhere, they don't come into the city or something.

You had eyes only for me, you mean?

Of course dear!

There's a fairly high population of them around Shannon. It's quite funny, the Shannon accent is fairly neutral and there seems to be an increase in scobes with Limerick accents in Shannon now. I know alot of them from around the town and they're certainly not from Limerick, they're just putting the accents on as they very rarely venture in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Archeron wrote:
    Sadly not. On the occasions when they give me reason to, there is always a gang of them, and my cowardice/survival genes kick in and tell me to just leave it be.

On another note, this has to have the best thread name I've seen yet. :)
    there's always a gang of them. scobes are cowards. they only humiliate/attack/rob people when they're sure their equally scobish mates will back them up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

sjones wrote:
    Of course dear!

There's a fairly high population of them around Shannon. It's quite funny, the Shannon accent is fairly neutral and there seems to be an increase in scobes with Limerick accents in Shannon now. I know alot of them from around the town and they're certainly not from Limerick, they're just putting the accents on as they very rarely venture in there.
    you get the same in north Kildare.
    it's funny to see these kids with their really strong Dublin accents and then you ask them where they are from and they tell you Leixlip or Celbridge or something.
    BossArky wrote:
    Something similar happened to me in France about 2 years ago, some knacker doing wheels down the sidewalk with the front wheel brought up into peoples faces.
    I'd love for someone to do that to me. just for the opportunity to grab the front wheel and pull the bike away from them or push it away from me and knock the rider to the ground.

anyway, i had a couple of these idiots mouthing off at me the other night. that sort of thing doesn't bother me, but my friend went for one of them and i had the choice of either seeing both of them kick the crap out of my friend or taking on one of them myself. i just gave him a few digs and that was enough to scare him off. the girls were worse though. had i not dragged my friend away, they would have done some damage to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ah the little feckin kids who think they are hard as nails just because they have the backup of their cousins brothers etc.

Used to work in a shop "Mace" and of course you always had the crowd of nackers hanging around outside asking people to buy cigaretes for them.

One day one of them decides to sit in the doorway while i was trying to close up and not moving says "Give me some cigs or im not moving"

I go to push him out the door and he says touch me and ill get my brother. i said fair enough and picked him up and threw him on his ass. Litterly landed on his ass. The greatest satisfaction came when his friends started laughing at him.

Of couse the brother never came after me. I wish all nacker threats were just idle threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

julep wrote:
    the girls were worse though. had i not dragged my friend away, they would have done some damage to him.

ya the girls are the worst. you cant just hit them a few smacks and be done with it and they dont know when to let up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Ah chavs/skobes/skangers... they are a special breed of mongrel alright..., i wonder has Richard Attenborough filmed a doucumentary on them yet..

A few years back, i was unlocking my bike from outside a shop, and these eggs started whizzing past me (luckly didn't hit me, but got one person coming out of shop). There across the road was a gang of them lobbing eggs over at us, thinking it was great craic and all. I just grabbed a few stones from a driveway next door, and returned a volley back to them, (i have quite a good shot too). I think i got one or two of them too, due to the effing and "we're gonna get you..". They didn't get a chance though, as the cops arrived on the scene, and i quietly made my departure..

Also back in secondary, we used get a bit of stick in the evenings walking up to the bus station. So myself and a few others got a bit of potassium from chem lab, and waited for a right rainy day so that there'd be puddles of water every where. As usual there was our lads waiting outside to cause trouble, so we walked up past them and dumped the potassium into a puddle of water in front of them, and legged it across the road. The boyos hadn't a clue what was going on, but when the saw the potassium sparking and hopping around in the water, they walked up to it to have a better look, and ka-boom, the whole lot of water erupted up into the air like a depth charge, and gave the lads a good showering (probaly needed a good wash too..). We cried with the laughter all the way up to bus that evening..

Not being smart or funny, but surely everyone learned from the O'Donoghue case that it is always better to walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

On my way home on the night link about 7 years ago there were these two guys. Little pricks, you know the types who comment on everyone who gets on the bus. I was sitting up the font and they were on the double seat next to the driver, across from me. Anyway, as I said they had something to say about everyone who was on the bus mostly bad. This guy got on the bus and sat two seats away from me in plain view of the two fcuking idiots. Now I hate to use the word retard, but there was something wrong with this guy, but hey, it’s not his fault right? So the bus takes of and the two spa-sticks kept on poking fun at the “slow” guy. They were not even funny to be honest. This went on and on and the “slow guy was embarrassed by the whole thing. I could not keep my mouth shut any longer. I said to the two spa-sticks “ Listen shut your fcuking mouth or I will shut it for you” That chap over there has done nothing to you, so leave it out”. As you could imagine the two hard-cnuts piped up and said yeh what ever. I just said leave it out, he did nothing on you.

So to make a long story short I was about 20 mins from my stop in Crumlin and they kept on saying to me, “I’m going to make you a headline in the evening hearld”. I’m thinking I should of kept my mouth shut, but I gave as good as I got and got a lot of fair plays of the other passengers on the bus. Any way, my stop approached and I got up of my seat and put my hand on the bar next to the two scumbags, well your man jumped about a mile of his seat as if I was about to hit him. I could not stop laughing and said, hard man or wha?

I get off the bus at the old Star place on the Crumlin road and I think I am in the all clear until I hear, “Hey, Crumlin Scumbag” I’m like, Fcuk, you’ve gone and done it this time. They said again, you will be on the front page of the herald in the morning. I decided to run for me, and as I put my leg in front of the other one, I decided to put it up to these two pricks. They got a shock when they seen me walk towards them saying, come on lads, lets see how tough you both are… I was ****ting a brick to be honest, but said fcuk it at this stage. So, as I walked towards them both I said,” the first one to come at me is getting a kick in the bollix” with the the bigger, fat guy runs at me and I swing a boot at him and landed right in the balls, he hit the deck like tone of bricks screaming like a girl, while I was admiring my work, the other fella hit me with a bottle in the head and it hurt like no tomorrow, I lost it and grabbed your man and punched the living **** out of him, he was expecting me to hit the ground when he hit me, luckly I was able to move a touch which saved me I think. I had both of them on the ground and gave them both a kick in the head each of good measure and told them to think twice about being hard men on the night like again ya little sad bastards.

I ended up in James with a couple of stitches in the side of my head and a bit of concussion…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Also back in secondary, we used get a bit of stick in the evenings walking up to the bus station. So myself and a few others got a bit of potassium from chem lab, and waited for a right rainy day so that there'd be puddles of water every where. As usual there was our lads waiting outside to cause trouble, so we walked up past them and dumped the potassium into a puddle of water in front of them, and legged it across the road. The boyos hadn't a clue what was going on, but when the saw the potassium sparking and hopping around in the water, they walked up to it to have a better look, and ka-boom, the whole lot of water erupted up into the air like a depth charge, and gave the lads a good showering (probaly needed a good wash too..). We cried with the laughter all the way up to bus that evening..

Roffle :D

teh win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

Hmmm... Aggressive b@stard turned pasivist here...

All through out secondary schools. 1st year = "leader" punched me in the back, so i turned around grabed his shoulders and let a knee fly... Shouldnt be done but very effective.

2nd year pushed around by a group of them, grabed lead by the throat, smacked his head off the wall be hind him and followed through with a punch.... One very uncontious @ss hole, and a lot of smaller scobe's cursing (not much else.)

3rd year Grabed a chair that was swung at me, disgarded it. Picked the guy up dumped him onto a table and up-ended the table.

Turned passivist due to getting in more trouble for not being one. :confused::confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

A guy on a bike cycled past a girl at pace and snatched her bag from her hand. I was about 10 yards behind her and stuck my arm and clothes lined him. He lay there seeing stars - he hadn't a clue what happened. I picked up her bag and gave it back to her. I was in stitches the whole time. Something you'd see in an adam sandler movie. I reckon he went home that night and re-thought his strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

A guy on a bike cycled past a girl at pace and snatched her bag from her hand. I was about 10 yards behind her and stuck my arm and clothes lined him. He lay there seeing stars - he hadn't a clue what happened. I picked up her bag and gave it back to her. I was in stitches the whole time. Something you'd see in an adam sandler movie. I reckon he went home that night and re-thought his strategy.
    ... but did you get the girl....??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

so I picked him up by the throat with my right hand and slammed him into the door, feet dangling

sure you did.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

... but did you get the girl....??

I'm a man of honour and integrity - how dare you suggest that I would attempt to take advantage of a maiden in distress.

(no she was a minger)

Tusky wrote:
    sure you did.
    If you want to pay for me and everybody that was there, to come to Dublin, all expenses paid, and give testimony. I'm all for it. I'll even bring my two Karate certs, for contact and sports karate.
    Which uniform should I wear for you?
    That or you could read my maths teachers demerit book... I wonder do they keep those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've been in a fair few scraps here and there, but lever really 'Lost the rag' so to speak. Most scumbags are out to get a reaction, and I give them none. It's a rare occaision they'll have enough guts to really try and start something.

Depends where you are from. They don't give a second thought in some places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Depends where you are from. They don't give a second thought in some places.

Most encounters I've had that went violent were in Dublin. Thankfully none of the had a syringe. ;)

Advertisement