Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Crunch Temple Bar. It's going downhill pretty fast. They're slow at fixing anything that breaks, there's been a smell of pi$$ in the stairwell the last two weeks, they were late taking my DD because of the Ulster Bank balls up but then had the cheek to charge me exta for being late paying it. Then twice in the last two months have been over at least forty minutes late opening on at the weekends (that's twice I've seen so probably more) without explanation.
    About the only thing going for them is the location is perfect for a me.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mervin J Minky

The YMCA on Aungier Street (or Y Fitness as they are now calling it :rolleyes:) was never a great gym but it has gone from bad to worse since new management took over last December.

All of their excellent instructors have left over the last eight months and have been replaced by Fás trainees plus, more importantly, lots of regular members have followed them out the door.

All this is mainly due to a new manager who is an absolute and utter wagon who is running the place into the ground by creating a poisonous atmosphere that is driving staff and customers away.

To add insult to injury the equipment is really old and probably quite dangerous, the showers are always cold and the changing rooms and faculties overall are very old and dingy looking.

In a nutshell the place is an absolute kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tescosolvakia

Myself & my partner joined David Llyod in riverview and find it incredible. I've been a member of crunch DL, jackie skelly Clarendon st and another in dundrum while it was open.

The facilities are amazing- I don't see it so much as a gym than a country club :rolleyes: there's a great vibe to the place, trainers & staff are great. I love the outdoor pool & the others extras they have like the smoothie bar & cafe- including beer taps & smoking area!!!

One thing I will say however, far to many kids at times. Never in the gym area but they have family changing rooms yet there are often kids in the men's locker rooms and pool. Roll on school term.

I really enjoy going all. There's plenty of space and never seems too crowded and I like that they give you towels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

How much is the membership those days ^^^ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tescosolvakia

Jarren wrote: »
    How much is the membership those days ^^^ ?

We pay 99 a month each, paid 45€ to join initially as an "admin" fee but included it towards the cost of one of the paid classes- Pilates, reformer Pilates, yoga, maybe some more. Most classes are free and you can book them through a members area on the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 chuman

The YMCA on Aungier Street (or Y Fitness as they are now calling it :rolleyes:) was never a great gym but it has gone from bad to worse since new management took over last December.

All of their excellent instructors have left over the last eight months and have been replaced by Fás trainees plus, more importantly, lots of regular members have followed them out the door.

All this is mainly due to a new manager who is an absolute and utter wagon who is running the place into the ground by creating a poisonous atmosphere that is driving staff and customers away.

To add insult to injury the equipment is really old and probably quite dangerous, the showers are always cold and the changing rooms and faculties overall are very old and dingy looking.

In a nutshell the place is an absolute kip!
    Merv, Interested in what you say about YMCA gym on Aungier Street. Used it for a while myself a couple of years back and, while it was basic, it served its purpose in that you could workout there. I was considering returning to use it, but decided against it on reading your comments. While I can cope with changes of management and different personalities (I wouldn't be going there to make friends), is the equipment that bad now? If I recall, it was fairly robust stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

We pay 99 a month each, paid 45€ to join initially as an "admin" fee but included it towards the cost of one of the paid classes- Pilates, reformer Pilates, yoga, maybe some more. Most classes are free and you can book them through a members area on the website

Hardly free if you're paying €99/month, "included in the price" would be more appropriate. That's some monthly expenditure for a gym, must be some place. I used to be a member of Westwood in Clontarf for a couple of years and at €75/month thought that was expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

hey guys

Looking to join a gym and LA fitness looks good and they have a free 3 day trial. anyone ever been there and are the classes/gym any good? they don't have their membership prices up online which is annoying!!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Hi guys,

I'm looking to join the gym beside the NCI as its local to me.
    Does anyone know what the joining fee & monthly price are?
    What are the classes like? Busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Hi,

Is anyone a member of Ben Dunne, Lucan? whats it like in the evenings (4.30 - 6 or 8pm+)

I usually train in Citywest in the mornings but it looks like I won't be able to any more and it gets pretty hectic up there in the evening time

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 txl

Whats Northwood like at 0630/0700 Mon-Fri????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sweet_jesus

jillyb wrote: »
    hey guys

Looking to join a gym and LA fitness looks good and they have a free 3 day trial. anyone ever been there and are the classes/gym any good? they don't have their membership prices up online which is annoying!!

thanks
    Hi Jillyb,

my wife and i were members of the Rathgar La Fitness for a few years but we moved to Total Fitness (which subsequntly closed down) and we're now with Energie in Nutgrove...La Fitness was a nice gym, the staff were all very nice, but the place was tiny and overrun after work in the evenings...It had a pointless free weights area with only one set of weights so you were waiting for ages, also more often than not we were waiting to get onto treadmills etc...as a result, we left! Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sweet_jesus

Hi All,

Am in the process of moving to Dun Laoghaire and am looking for a replacement gym...we're currently in Energie Fitness in Nutgrove, which is fine, never that busy, friendly staff and reasonably priced (EUR 50/month). Looks like Westwood in Leopardstown is the best, but cant find the price any anywhere...i hear its €€€€ anyone know what the current anytime monthly cost is and what's the joining fee...Also, what's it like in the evenings at around 7ish...i dont mind gyms being busy, but hate waiting to use free weights...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

Thanks sweet jesus!

I'm living in walkinstown so looking for a gym not too far from me with good classes and gym facilities. any other gym you are any others would recommend?

I was looking at Ben Dunne Carlisle and Westpark aswell. Westpark doesn't show its membership fees online though!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

joined the NAC @ 280e for 6 months. lots of cardio machines along with a reasonable free weights area. the pool sauna steam room and jacuzzi all included.
    for the price its good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Greendiamond

Hi, thinking of joining Ben Dunne in Sandyford. Anyone know what its like at lunchtime around 1pm ? Is it very busy ? Is it a very ' blokey' gym ?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭fire_man

Im paying 55e p/m for westpark fitness in tallaght ,any better value gym around south west dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Better value yes but if is better in general I really don't know

http://www.arenaleisure.ie/membership.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jake102

What do people think if crunch fitness premier temple bar..I was thinking of joining

• Registered Users Posts: 17 timelord13

I agree that the YMCA has gone downhill. However, as long as Lorcan is still there I'll keep going. The place is a heap though.

I found LA fitness irritating, weights area far too small. Staff completely uninterested. The classes were crap, in my personal opinion.

I signed up to Flyefit in Ranelagh, with the hopes that there would be some decent classes. I am often extremely lazy & require the motivation of a class/instructor. The place looks good, however the designated floor space is non existent. The classes, horrendous. And the instructors gave the impression they'd rather be elsewhere. I know it's possibly the cheapest gym around but I felt it didn't deliver what it advertised.

I'd love to find a gym in D6 that was just clean & professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

timelord13 wrote: »
    I agree that the YMCA has gone downhill. However, as long as Lorcan is still there I'll keep going. The place is a heap though.

I found LA fitness irritating, weights area far too small. Staff completely uninterested. The classes were crap, in my personal opinion.

I signed up to Flyefit in Ranelagh, with the hopes that there would be some decent classes. I am often extremely lazy & require the motivation of a class/instructor. The place looks good, however the designated floor space is non existent. The classes, horrendous. And the instructors gave the impression they'd rather be elsewhere. I know it's possibly the cheapest gym around but I felt it didn't deliver what it advertised.

I'd love to find a gym in D6 that was just clean & professional.

Have you looked at Swan in Rathmines?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 timelord13

Hi SB, yea I have tried it a few times - was in there on Tuesday actually.
    Again there's next to no designated mat space, I watched the beggining of a kettle bells and boxercise class. Left after ten min feeling quite uninspired & just used the gym.

It looks nice but I know it would wreck my head. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CHATTYCATHY

Hi,

I'm currently with Westwood and am looking for someone to transfer my membership to for four months as I am going travelling. I've already paid the annual fee so all you would have to pay is the monthly subscription. I have a student membership so it's €55 a month.
    It might be a good way to see if you like the gym (Sandymount, Clontarf or Leopardstown) before you want to signup for a full year?

If anyone is interested let me know! It would be from November to February :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Oceanbunny

Hi,

I used to be a member of Sanovitae a few years ago but left when they cut the sunday hours and were leaving kids in the sauna and jacuzzi at weekends i.e. no-one bothered to tell the parents kids weren't allowed in the sauna - mad stuff.

I am thinking of re-joining as is the handiest location for me and hoping they have improved - but has anyone joined recently?

when i rang they quoted 60 a month as the standard rate? They didn't suggest any better deals- but wondering if anyone aware of ones they do offer if you bend their arm or do they extend the corporate rate etc? and what is the corporate rate?

Thanks,
    o

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Anybody been in the raven gym in bray any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Hi,

I'm currently with Westwood and am looking for someone to transfer my membership to for four months as I am going travelling. I've already paid the annual fee so all you would have to pay is the monthly subscription. I have a student membership so it's €55 a month.
    It might be a good way to see if you like the gym (Sandymount, Clontarf or Leopardstown) before you want to signup for a full year?

If anyone is interested let me know! It would be from November to February :-)

You can pause your membership while your away so you wont have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭COH

Mickk wrote: »
    You can pause your membership while your away so you wont have to pay.

Do they still demand a medical cert to pause memberships?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RJD18

Great place and great facilities!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Have you said this to the manager? Requested a meeting? Written a formal letter?

This thread is utterly meaningless and passive aggressiveness at its finest if you haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

RJD18. I can't PM you as you don't have enough posts. If you would like to meet with me to discuss any issues you may have, I'll be more than happy to do so. Just ask for Dave at reception. Thanks

Advertisement