Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 DAINGNE

Last edited by RJD18; Yesterday at 14:53.

Did I miss something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Like all great movie scripts, it's not just what's on paper. You have to look between and beyond the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

tumblr_m4wiqs5nmV1qk3b6qo1_500.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

DAINGNE wrote: »
    Last edited by RJD18; Yesterday at 14:53.

Did I miss something?

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Hi
    My wife is planning on joining Northwood Gym in Santry and was wondering how busy the evening classes are?

She intends on doing the spinning and the Zumba classes.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 AMT

Lol... left them a year and a half ago. Among the reasons.

1. They stopped cleaning at night, so their cleaners would push a hoover or a mop between my feet while you were lifting.

2. The celiing leaks when it rains, puddles everywhere and chunks of wet mouldy ceiling tile would fall on you at random.

3. Really poorly designed showers that were clean in the center but with a cm of slime coating the edges and the corners

4. Replaced the music with piped in elevator music, to appeal to a broader range of customers (cardio only women)

5. Never bothered to enforce any of their policies on appropriate gym attire or putting equipment away.

And all for €75 a month... not bad in my mind, I seldom fight on price or take cheap options but the value has been steadily declining over the last years and all they seem interested in doing is adding flashy extras for their member sales team to sell.

The fake 'cheques' addressed to a gross mispelling of my name I've recieved ever since are damn funny though

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Blossom2012

Reason I left

1. ben dunne is cheaper
    2. the air conditioning system does not work anywhere
    3. bad smell in the gym/showers/steamroom etc
    4. they blast the music on the floor so loud you can't listen to your own music on your ipod when working out.
    5. all the above i complained about nothing was done. so i was done

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CBTman21

Hi all,

would like to say to people if you are thinking about joining westwood, dont! After 12 long years of membership I have had my membership cancelled for making a complaint about one of their trainers Sean, and the general manager Dave.

The complaint i made was that gym equipment needed replacing and I complaint about the way i was spoken to by one of the trainers.

Anyway i received a call from Dave. I had requested not to speak with Dave but to speak with someone higher then him, but low and behold i got dave. Daves phone call began as an aggressive defensive loud noise when ever I tried to speak. He didnt let me speak once on the phone, didn't let me bring up any issues I had about the club, instead just basically advised me to leave the club.

After 12 years of membership, a long list of customer referals and a long list of friends with staff, i am told to leave the club as a matter of complaint.

The gym is overpriced, the equipment is old, outdated and hasn't been renewed since the 12 years I have been there.

CBTman21 wrote: »
    have been kicked out [...] instead just basically advised me to leave the club.

Sense, you make none. Were you denied renewal, or advised that you could leave if you wanted?
    The gym is overpriced, the equipment is old, outdated and hasn't been renewed since the 12 years I have been there.

Didn't they just spend a fortune redoing large sections of the gym there recently?

Tbh your entire thing is a bit of a libelous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CBTman21

The manager said that it would do us both a favour if we didnt renew your membership, i got an email this morning saying my membership was cancelled.

A fortune? on unnecessary lighting and two cable machines.

Libelous? 12 years of membership and to have your membership cancelled for making a complaint. Very good sir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭The Davestator

CBTman21 wrote: »
    Hi all,

would like to say to people if you are thinking about joining westwood, dont! After 12 long years of membership I have had my membership cancelled for making a complaint about one of their trainers Sean, and the general manager Dave.

The complaint i made was that gym equipment needed replacing and I complaint about the way i was spoken to by one of the trainers.

Anyway i received a call from Dave. I had requested not to speak with Dave but to speak with someone higher then him, but low and behold i got dave. Daves phone call began as an aggressive defensive loud noise when ever I tried to speak. He didnt let me speak once on the phone, didn't let me bring up any issues I had about the club, instead just basically advised me to leave the club.

After 12 years of membership, a long list of customer referals and a long list of friends with staff, i am told to leave the club as a matter of complaint.

Hi Greg, Dave here. Your post contains so many inaccuracies I don't know where to start!

I have spoken to and emailed twice you regarding your decision to leave the club. YOUR decision so ill try not to get into it again here.

The club is not perfect - fully except that but having members who refuse to abide by the rules to the detriment of others makes it harder to make it perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 crovert

I was with Leopardstown up until September - and can't say I've any major beef with them - thought that the gym was really well equipped - yeah sure some items might need replacing every so often but isn't that regular wear and tear?
    Before I left there were always some section sectioned off being worked on so to say that nothing was replaced or improved i think is a bit of a stretch - they've pumped money into the place the last year ( you could argue - that that was needed with increased competition and the monthly fee in comparison to other gyms)

can't fault the staff - always happy to help and sort you out with anything.

i mightn't be a member there anymore - but the only reason i left was because i was heading back to college - i'd have no problem reccommending them - particularly when i compare my new place and the wait there is to use equipment etc!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Joined Your Fitness Gym in Harolds Cross the other day. I have to say the set up is excellent, machines all brand new, loads of equipment, jiu jitsu mats, rings, boxing bags, spinning rooms with sauna to come. Just opened the other day so still waiting on cardio equipment to arrive but place looks great.

I joined with 2 other people and got 130 for the year! Cant beat the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

UL Gym: The Fitness "Industry"

I've been going to the Arena for a number of years now, on and off now due to work location. The first thing that strikes you is just how much of a machine the place is, the size, the scale, the numbers passing through, the well maintained equipment and facilities, and regrettably that lack of a personal touch (unless your into Oly lifts it seems)

The student and general population in the area means that Monday to Thursday evenings are busy: tweeners parading their latest abercrombie/hollister t-shirts, the hardy bucks up from the country in their one-size-too-small GAA gear doing curlz, rugby types benching and rowing and generally copying what they see the munster players doing when they're down and the Oly lifters looking serious with that "I'm better than you cos I can clean and jerk" walk. Then there's the small few lifters who come in, get the job done and go - same faces Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday you name it. Lockers are at a premium in the evenings -a pet hate being those who put their bag in a locker but dont put the two euro in to lock the locker and take your key with you - FYI if you do this and I'm looking for a locker I will take your bag out and use the locker properly as the concept of using a locker properly is clearly beyond you.:D

The facilities and equipment are great, the staff unfortunately not so much. Perhaps it's because they see so many come through that they've lost their enthusiasm, or perhaps they keep their smiles for their PT clients, either way one is left cold by the blank expression greeting you as you enter the gym.

Richie's masterclass is a machine aswell - never done the class but the numbers he draws is amazing. Then of course you have the courts, the Track (excellent Trak Attak) and other classes (which to be fairI have not done so I couldn't comment) and not forgetting the pool - again a great facility to have in Limerick - but it seems the only times I want to use it I cant because of some gala or another.

The UL gym is a very good facility, but it could be a great facility if the instructors paid more attention to the noobs killing themselves through poor form, added value by giving people hints and tips as they go or even just said hello or smiled from time to time.

A well oiled machine - a good and a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Id agree on UL - fantastic facility.

And like most large facilities, some of the staff are sometimes not 100% on the ball, but on the flipside, I know some that are fantastic. Broken machines is not much of an issue in the gym floor, although I am never in there, the times I am, I have seen it to be the case that things are repaired briskly.

the fact that its a newer facility has it all in its favor I suppose

The swimming pool thing on weekend bugs me too, anytime i want to use the sauna, there is an event on!

It amazes me to look down on the court and still see the same faces for the last 5 years on the front row of Richies classes ...

Again, a brilliant facility in terms of size, equipment etc, but not perfect. Does that exist ??

Now if only I could convince them to buy some newer bike for the studio on the third floor, Id be a happy instructor! (Dont work in the gym but do classes upstairs)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hi lads, any recommendations for a gym round the Burlington Hotel area?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

Hi lads,

looking for a gym in either Santry or the city centre that's more of a training/S&C place and less of a feelgood place, was looking at joining Raw Condition but only because it's the one I've heard most about. I've heard about Hercules in town but it seems more of a private club kind of thing, is this correct? Any other good equipped gyms in city centre? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

Sgro wrote: »
    Hi lads,

looking for a gym in either Santry or the city centre that's more of a training/S&C place and less of a feelgood place, was looking at joining Raw Condition but only because it's the one I've heard most about. I've heard about Hercules in town but it seems more of a private club kind of thing, is this correct? Any other good equipped gyms in city centre? Thanks

Morton Stadium in Santry have a high performance gym. I'm not sure if it's open to the public but it looks fantastic and could be exactly what your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LivingInColour

Sgro wrote: »
    Hi lads,

-Morton, as listed above.

-Revolution Fitness on Richmond Road.

-RAW for city centre/southside; it's worth travelling to in general though.

-Also I've heard alright things about the Abs Gym in Templebar and I think they have a set up out in the old IP building in Finglas too... perhaps someone else knows what the craic is with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone ever used energie parkwest. Membership up in Liffey Valley fitness on Friday so considering changing. Only really use the pool these days so only concern is whether it's always available to members or do they do that really annoying crap where members might not be able to access it if pool is rented out. LVF don't do that so pool is always accessible.

Also, is there secure bike lockups? What is the free weights area like? The fact they open at 6 is a pro for me, the possibility of pool not being available when I want it a major con.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

-Morton, as listed above.

-Revolution Fitness on Richmond Road.

-RAW for city centre/southside; it's worth travelling to in general though.

-Also I've heard alright things about the Abs Gym in Templebar and I think they have a set up out in the old IP building in Finglas too... perhaps someone else knows what the craic is with that.

ip building????

shed head wrote: »
    ip building????

Informed Performance. Ballyboggan Road.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd find it increasingly hard to recommend Energie in Rathfarnham. They've decided to close the entire gym all day next Thursday so that they can make a TV advert. A lot of the cardio equipment now seems to be out of order, particularly treadmills. Faulty jacuzzi hasn't been fixed for 2 months. May as well change the sign over the door back to JS.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭teR_

Any gyms around north Dublin / city centre that you can pay for by the month? ..haven't really got 2/3/400 quid to throw around all at once :(

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Looking for a more recent review of Ben Dunne Carlisle. Most recent one I seem to be able to find is from 2010. How busy is it? Am joining to train for a triathlon so want to use it for the pool and mainly cardio with a small amount of weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

biteme wrote: »
    Looking for a more recent review of Ben Dunne Carlisle. Most recent one I seem to be able to find is from 2010. How busy is it? Am joining to train for a triathlon so want to use it for the pool and mainly cardio with a small amount of weights.

I joined in October and am already pissed off and thinking of going back to my old gym, I cant seem to get a full proper session done. Its a fine gym for what you pay but trying to get a proper training session in I find hard.

The main issues I have is, its very busy, groups of teenage kids hanging around, equipment is a bit worn now and well used.

You could find it hard to get a good swim in as there are a lot of eldery folk in it too and always seem to head for the pool area for there daily chats.

On Tuesday in the changing rooms there was even an empty naggin of vodka bottle left on the seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

teR_ wrote: »
    Any gyms around north Dublin / city centre that you can pay for by the month? ..haven't really got 2/3/400 quid to throw around all at once :(

Would love to have the same, but for Cork :)

Some of the prices gyms tend to ask are insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

I'm with Energie Fitness in Swords and opted to do the 6 week programme 6 sessions in total. Started 20th January and am still waiting to do my 2nd session and I'm booked in for 18th February!

Anyone else have problems like this? Ridiculous amount of time to wait.

Currently paying €51 per month aswell yet a friend called up there recently and queried prices and were given €40 per month for the exact same package as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

teR_ wrote: »

Not too sure what part of north Dublin you are in but there is a pay as you go gym in Ashbourne called real fitness. Its only up and going a about 8 or 9 months. Nothing fancy but it has everything I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Random Q, any body fancy recommending a gym in Cavan, just one that allows pay as you go, will be down there for a few days ..

Advertisement