Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops €299 tesco

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

byte wrote:
    Still a shame as TV connection would be handy (well, I think it would anyway). I guess there is some sort of apparatus that would allow me to send video to the TV via USB or PCMCIA?/QUOTE]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-converter-adaptor-cable-RCA-S-video-to-TV-display_W0QQitemZ280011516856QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41999QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

esquier wrote:

Something like that would require TV output on the VGA socket though which a lot of laptops and PCs wouldnt have. You need to combine the colours and luminance and syc the output to 50hz to view on a UK TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

My mistake, you`re absolutely right, I should have read a bit further down the item page.

I never forget years ago I had old IBM laptop (P2 or P3) and some models had video out (a little like earphone socket) and some didn't and on mine where it should have been was blanked off so I hacked away the bit of plastic and guess what was behind it - low and behold a video out socket! - the buggers had blanked it off for some reason but the socket was there alright.

With a download of graphic drivers from the net I managed to get that video out socket working fine. I wonder why they blanked it in the first place?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

you see this a lot, they make a product with full features and then cripple it so they can sell it at a cheaper price
    Graphics cards are a good example as they can be unblocked to full potential
    also i have seen printers with built in duplexing but they are disabled so they can sell it at the cheaper price as it is cheaper to leave it in than have a seperate machine for making one without it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

superfly wrote:
    you see this a lot, they make a product with full features and then cripple it so they can sell it at a cheaper price
    Graphics cards are a good example as they can be unblocked to full potential
    also i have seen printers with built in duplexing but they are disabled so they can sell it at the cheaper price as it is cheaper to leave it in than have a seperate machine for making one without it

Its not just that, its cheaper to get a standard motherboard that will do 3 or 4 different models (and easier to source replacements) and then modify the (cheaper) plastics for the different models rather than source 2 different boards.

Dell used to do the same when I worked there. One motherboard fitted both models, but they had different plastics and a different bios (and different specs - but the same board).

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

so did anyone open it up and see if they could find a s-video output?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Don't think there is any point in opening it up. It's unlikely that one exists on the dearer one.

byte wrote:
    Don't think there is any point in opening it up. It's unlikely that one exists on the dearer one.

Whereas it should be the other way round. Normally the more you pay for a laptop the more likely that it will have a video out socket and the cheaper ones dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

hothouse wrote: »
    I got the 999 laptop

210 vat back
    500 tesco vouchers

actual cost 290
    I'm just dragging this topic up looking for the spec of this €999 laptop. My ma bought one at the time but it was taken when the house was robbed a few weeks ago. All I need to know is the spec.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

mcaul wrote: »
    advert was in todays Irish Independent

Starts tomorrow

Systems are basic enough - what do you expect for 599 / 799

599 laptop - 299.50 clubcard vouchers back
    256mb
    40gb hd
    15.4 screen
    dvdrw combo
    modem
    wireless card
    4usb ports

starts tomorrow

Thats taken from this thread dont know any more sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think I'm just gonna have to take a wild guess on the specs. I know she definitely didn't get a bag, printer or mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Labrajd

anyone know the processor spec. of the notebooks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

This thread is a year old, do not bump old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement