Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops €299 tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

abetarrush wrote:
    Yeah, you learned the hard way

ehh hold on a minute - surely you all know that a product has to be fit for its purpose - why all this "oh poor me" stuff - if it's like rash said you would simply get a replacement immediately end of story.

Sometimes I wonder is there a conspiracy against these IQON's. Find it hard to believe that ANYBODY would accept a 6 hour old dodgy laptop and say poor me ahhh well "Oh why didn't I just go for a cheaper and better Dell"...

so Rash - what did you do with the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

abetarrush wrote:
    Yeah, you learned the hard way

but dell arent great either!

Best bet IMO = PC World

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

rash0001 wrote:
    Got the €599 laptop in the Stillorgan SC Tesco. At first glance it looked good but I've only used it for like 3 hours and the CD Tray is totally detached :o On the right there is a slot which looked like a PCMCIA slot. Tried to get it out it wouldn't open, finally after alot of pushing and pulling I managed to open it and after inserting the cover back in, It just won't budge. I thought it would be of better built quality but even the keypad surface is uneven! :mad: Called into the store and now they say warranty isn't for these kinds of problems but just application and electrical faults! so now I'm left with a 6 hours old laptop without a CD Drive, Uneven keypad and crap customer support!
    Any one else as LUCKY as me!?
    Oh why didn't I just go for a cheaper and better Dell! :(

Somehow I doubt very much if anyone in Tesco said that. The warranty offered by any company is in ADDITION to your statutory rights as a consumer.
    All Tesco staff are aware of consumer rights and their policy would be an immediate replacement or if it was something there were not sure off they would have contacted someone for you. Alsolute balderdash that you say store refused your return. - Either you're a disgruntled former tesco employee or a disgruntled former iQon employee.

I think everyone should ignore the post.

I got my laptop in tesco Newbridge - needed one for 3G internet access with vodafone as I can ony get 16.8kbs on the phone line and no hope of regular broadband from any supplier except satellite for the forseeable future. Got vodafone card yesterday and am currently surfing at 374kbs - heaven when previous home internet was 16.8. Laptop whilst basic, is absolutely fine for what I need at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭rash0001

Ok here...
    Its the problem with the CD Tray only. The Keypads, Slot seem to be the same on all iQons. I wanted a replacement and Tesco didn't have any! The CD Drive to replace will cost less than 50 euros. So as I bought this laptop for Club Card points I stayed with it! No conspiracy nothing here as I only posted this to know how other buyers are doing. Bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 long ago when on sale for less than 450 euros. And compared them both and the dell is far more superior. Simple as that!

This post was not meant to go against either iQon or Tesco but for people who already bought the laptops to check if all is in order! But yea I'll still say iQon quality is rubbish! It's so cheap plastic. At first glance is looks great it's only after use that you know what it is!

What RAM is in these and whats the configuration, sticks & slots etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

They are basic machines and they'll do the basic stuff. Similarly a basic white pan at 49c & picnic ham at 99c will make you a sandwich but if you want some flavour you buy Vogel bread at 2.00 & decent ham at 2.60.

You can bet Tesco planned this promotion months ago so the laptops are in reality worth about €400 - €500 and the reality si there is a discount of approx. €200 which you'll have to buy other goods with. - Tesco will have a profit margin on these other goods so overall they won't lose (do they ever)

If you shop in tesco anyway, its good value. - But you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sure they are basic but the Laptops have all bases covered.
    I have 2 Desktops at home,one top of the range the other a 1Ghz P3.
    I bought the €599 Laptop for my brother for the new college term.
    He needs something to do some programming and typing on.
    The housing does look a bit light but I cant fault the spec.
    It has a Lan and Wlan card,it has a modem and a Firewire port too plus 4 USB ports.
    Basic but covers alot.
    Processor is 1.5Ghz which is adequate for 90% of applications.
    Laptop doesnt have too much junk software installed to be honest and I had it configured for myself in under 1 hour.
    A similar Dell Laptop would cost at least 500 euro .
    I only shop in Tesco for a few products,ones I cant get elsewhere cheaper,so the 300 credit will be used wisely .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

doesn't seem like a bargain to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Just incase anyone is looking for one of the €599 lappy's they had three in the Ashbourne tesco's today

Cubix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hothouse

Nehpets wrote:
    doesn't seem like a bargain to me

I got the 999 laptop

210 vat back
    500 tesco vouchers

actual cost 290

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Theres a 999 one?

Anyone know the specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

personally I think its a really good deal if you shop in Tescos. To me theres quite a bit of snobbery about PC's similar to the way some people go on about cars, 'oh I only buy BMW listen to the way the door shuts, oh what quality'. Or check the aftershave thread for more of the same LOL. I'm not slagging any previous posters off BTW, I just think that a lot of people in Ireland think that spending more always equates to an automatic improvement in goods quality, when that is often not the case.
    Ok, for 300 you arent going to get a top notch laptop, but would the e200 extra - 66% extra - will the Dell be 66% better? I doubt it. I do accept what people are sayign about Iqon but i think the price gap justifies the risk. Most people are only looking for casual use at this end of the market, not to play FEAR online and horse it cross-continent on business.
    BTW Edenderry had no 599 ones left today only the 799 ones.

I just ran Sisoft Sandra on the 599 model.
    Heres the Spec:
    Celeron M 1.5Ghz CPU
    256Mb Siemens DDR2 Ram @ 400Mhz,1 spare slot,max Ram is 3Gb.
    Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS Integrated graphics with 8mb shared memory
    Realtek HD audio
    Motorola SM56 Modem
    Broadcom 10/100 Integrated controller
    802.11g MiniPCI Wireless Network Adadter
    Sony Dw-Q58a Dual Layer DVD Writer ,8x DVD+/-R

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Heres the Spec:
    Celeron M 1.5Ghz CPU
    Realtek HD audio
    Motorola SM56 Modem

Nothing wrong with that spec for the basic usage many people would have ie.. Browsing the net and a few office applications. My mam bought one and I spent over an hour on it today and must admit I found it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I got the 999 laptop

210 vat back
    500 tesco vouchers

actual cost 290

Your calculation is wrong there. VAT isn't 21% of the 999. The 999 represents the ex-vat price+21%. Thus the vat is (999/121)*21= 173e VAT.

Thought of doing the same myself but I am sure the revenue will be keeping an eye on this in terms of what the clubcard vouchers are used for, whether the computer is for business use, etc. I would imagine that the vouchers and laptop must be used for the benefit of the business?

Aquos76 wrote:
    Nothing wrong with that spec for the basic usage many people would have ie.. Browsing the net and a few office applications. My mam bought one and I spent over an hour on it today and must admit I found it fine.

Was configuring mine this evening ,installing software etc.
    Very impressed so far.
    Very quiet,nice screen,good performance.
    I'm very satisfied with it.
    Friend of mine paid 1300 for a similar spec Vaio last year and this seems just as good if not better,only 1k less :)

Johnnycabs wrote:
    personally I think its a really good deal if you shop in Tescos. To me theres quite a bit of snobbery about PC's similar to the way some people go on about cars, 'oh I only buy BMW listen to the way the door shuts, oh what quality'. Or check the aftershave thread for more of the same LOL. I'm not slagging any previous posters off BTW, I just think that a lot of people in Ireland think that spending more always equates to an automatic improvement in goods quality, when that is often not the case.
    Ok, for 300 you arent going to get a top notch laptop, but would the e200 extra - 66% extra - will the Dell be 66% better? I doubt it. I do accept what people are sayign about Iqon but i think the price gap justifies the risk. Most people are only looking for casual use at this end of the market, not to play FEAR online and horse it cross-continent on business.
    BTW Edenderry had no 599 ones left today only the 799 ones.

I agree with you. But sometimes buying the cheap stuff, like electrical stuff in Aldi/Lidi is self defeating, as some (not all of it) just breaks in a few months and you have the hassle of returning it and replacing it. Sometimes it worth paying the extra to avoid this.

Personally I think this is a good deal. But I'd buy it for myself before I'd recommend it for someone else (especially if I've to support them).

Would the Dell be better? On the face of it now But if theres a problem I would reckon parts, solutions, and updated drivers would a lot easier to source. Your time and frustration might be worth 66% of less downtime and hassle.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I bought the €799 one last night (with printer, mouse, bag, 512MB RAM) and am happy enough with it. It's no powerhouse but it will definitely be sufficient for what I will be using it for.

Everything on it seems to work fine too thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Heres the Spec:
    Celeron M 1.5Ghz CPU
    Realtek HD audio
    Motorola SM56 Modem

Hard drive, though quoted at 40gb appears to be 33gb (with no partition giving 7 gigs to recovery though I may be wrong?)

Hard drive, though quoted at 40gb appears to be 33gb (with no partition giving 7 gigs to recovery though I may be wrong?)
    Its only 37Gb when formatted ,you never get the full rating on any Hard Drive.
    Must be 4 Gb for recovery so,pretty big to be honest.
    Might do a fresh install myself to free up that 4Gb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mine is appearing as 37.2GB, which should be normal enough I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

The must also format the RAM and CPU

Cos my 3Ghz CPU was actually 2.7, and my 256MB RAM was actually 224

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

abetarrush wrote:
    The must also format the RAM and CPU

Cos my 3Ghz CPU was actually 2.7, and my 256MB RAM was actually 224

lol?

its showing as 224 because the gfx needs to take its memory from your ram.

the cpu should not be showing as 2.7 though if its advertised as 3ghz, other then that missing a few gigs is normal in any hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭andy1249

Just so you know , recovery partitions are not normally visible in windows , not in windows explorer anyway , you will only see it either from a fresh install ,( on the hard drive breakdown before actual install ) or when you actually need to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Recovery partitions are "usually" shown in Disk Manager (under Administrative Tools). Obviously they have no drive letter assigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

dajaffa wrote:
    Theres a 999 one?

Anyone know the specs?

Only €999 ones left in Roscommon.

I got the specs. 4 €599 & €799.

Anyone got specs. 4 €999?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

No lappies at all in sligo store today (Sunday 30th 12.30pm) - but desktop with Sempron for 599 and an all in one printer and 160gb, 512, 64agp (is it onboard or card I wonder, wonder if there is an AGP socket?) seems like a good deal.

If I were to presently change my P4 2.0Ghz 256mb RAM PC for this IQON AMD Sempron 2800+ with 512MB RAM would I notice a performance slope seeing as I am going from P4 to sempron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rubberhead

Got the €799 one and I say it's pretty class (for the price) and the €400 (vouchers) would have got spent in Tesco anyway.

Sure, it feels a bit plasticky but that's exactly what I expected for the price. You wouldn't want to drop it down the stairs like but it's not gonna fall apart either. (Well this one isn't anway...I hope ;))

Regarding the hard disk.....yeh this has 37gigs but no partitions (recovery or otherwise) in disk manager so formatting wouldn't free up anything.
    It happens though..... I bought a "300gb" SATA disk recently and the actual size is 276mb...24 fricken gigs though! Grrr

One thing is this laptop only has 448mb of RAM (supposed to be 512) - the difference isn't just being used by graphics card or whatever either......I ran Sandra on it too and it says total is 448mb (this isn't a reading of just currently available memory)....what's the jazz with that??

Came with a fairly nice leather case (though it stinks of that leather shine stuff...like turpentine) and the printer/scanner/fax/photocopier is cool enough too (though again the material quality ain't great)

Battery life doesn't seem to be brilliant (though I still need to fully discharge and whatever yet - I'll see if that makes any diff.)
    Last thing is it doesn't have firewire!! Not too bothered though cos I have a decent enough pc I use for video editing and I have no other need for f/w.

Overall if the offer is on again in the future, I'd recommend one.
    If I change my mind for some reason, I'll let everyone know and why but I'm happy enough with it!

magnumlady wrote:
    No lappies at all in sligo store today (Sunday 30th 12.30pm) - but desktop with Sempron for 599 and an all in one printer and 160gb, 512, 64agp (is it onboard or card I wonder, wonder if there is an AGP socket?) seems like a good deal.

If I were to presently change my P4 2.0Ghz 256mb RAM PC for this IQON AMD Sempron 2800+ with 512MB RAM would I notice a performance slope seeing as I am going from P4 to sempron?

Very little difference there to be honest.
    Sempron is a cut down AMD chip like the Celeron.
    Buy yourself some more Ram and it will give a good performance boost ,256Mb isnt much.Xtra 512Mb would give a big speed boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Mine is appearing as 37.2GB
    All hard drives are actually 7% less then there advertised size,not matter what size ie. 60-80-100GB etc always 7% less or advertised size is what you will have for storage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement