Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops €299 tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

These computers/laptops come with a 12 month warranty (it's printed on the box, Iqon provide an 1890 helpline number i.e. cost of a local call).

You must have a registered clubcard before buying the computers to get your vouchers back. This isn't a big job though, just ask the staff at the Customer Service Desk to dial out the freefone registration number on the application form ;)

Also if anyone has a Tesco Visa card and pays with that you will get an extra 1 point for every €2 spent which will mean a few more bob in the vouchers.
    http://www.tesco.ie/finance/visacards/index_benefits_clubcards.html

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hobbes wrote:
    Those maybe but not all points vouchers do. The missus gets a load in the mail and some are straight cash conversion while others expect you to buy certain goods. .

The ones that you have to buy goods with are just add-on vouchers - they don't come out of your points balance.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The vouchers though have a short lifespan usually though. So they'd need to spent within the limited time, though that's 3 weeks or so, which should be easy to spend.

I suppose the vouchers could go towards blank DVD's, booze, printer carts, booze, and uhm, more booze! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

The standard 'cash' vouchers always last over 12 months from the date of issue, the add-on vouchers have a much shorter lifespan.

That said the 350 or so would be fairly easily spent if you were to just do you shopping in tesco for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Consumer law states that warrenty must be for 12 months for new goods. How do Dell get around that?

Popped into the square after work.
    I think they come with 2 years warrenty.

Probably won't get one! I think its a good deal but I'm happy with my PC at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Yeah, the actual "cash" vouchers [the blue ones] can be used to buy ANYTHING. The orange vouchers are jus like "Spend €5 or more on fruit, save 50c"

I fxckin despise iQon, but ye can't go wrong for €300. We shop in Tesco, n spend about 100 a week, so the vouchers wudnt last long

jus gotta check d warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

leex wrote:
    Possibly selling them as refurbished items in their outlet store.

Actually the ones on the outlet hae 12 months. Its the cheap offers on the main site that are 90days. No idea how it works.

andy1249 wrote:
    The laptops are Iqon laptops , ( tied with Philips)

None of em have Windows MCE , as asked above , MCE would be rare on a laptop. They all have XP home edition.
    You get no CD , instead there is a partition thats hidden and XP can be restored or repaired from that. You can burn a CD from it too if you want to.

The ram can be got from komplett ,
    Its this type ,

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=122445
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=116453

I know cos I have one , its the cheaper one and I got it to the same spec as the more expensive one for about 80 euro. Putting the extra ram in was a
    piece of cake , all you need is a crosspoint jewellers screwdriver.

The ad doesn't mention the make. How do you know the make? Or do they only ever sell iQon's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Can you put the vuochers toward another laptop in a future promotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭andy1249

Hello Tempestsabre ,

I know the make cos I bought one ? !! :) , unfortunately bought it before the rebate but nevermind , got clubcard points anyway.

For everyone else , its a good solid laptop , I havnt exactly been gentle with it , I use it in conjunction with my camera , I cart this everywhere with my Digital and empty the compact flash cards onto it when they are full , also use the nice big screen to have a look at my photos , it has been used at a couple of weddings , in Arizona , ( grand canyon , sedona , senora desert ) , and in China so far and it has held up well , even through all the flights and temperature variations , so I would recommend it.

That cashback voucher deal is very good , you wont get its like anywhere else , having said that , without it , its not a lot to upgrade the 599 one , so I would buy that , get the cashback , and upgrade the memory.

• Advertisement

That doesn't mean these ones are the same. Highly likely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭andy1249

They are the same , Iqon have the tescos contract , for at least the next 3 years guaranteed. It was supposed to be a 5 year deal , Twas in the press ,

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/08/29/story744523096.asp ,

So unless something has changed .....

Just checked , yup they are still going strong with Tesco and are doing exceptionally well for an indigenous Irish PC manufacturer, heres a link ,

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9710330

Other shops sell them aswell, and sell other brands alongside them. Didn't know there was an exclusive deal in Tesco :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

afcdave wrote:
    @fisab

My question exactly. The extra RAM is all I need, as I already have a printer and mouse (I'm sure a carry case could be sourced easily enough) so the cheaper laptop appears logical. My only concern is the extra RAM, where do I get it?

I'd imagine that they possibly might difference in Processors also, But tbh at that price I'm sure they both use a Celeron M with difference clock frequencies.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

just checked out tesco in maynooth and they have no special deals with their laptops as yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Tesco in Sligo have them and they're going fast, according to my brother who works there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I checked out Tesco Navan last nite
    They had 3 laptops, 599, 699, 799 and 999
    and 2 desktops 599, 799

all the laptops bar the 999 were celeron, It was centrino 2mb cache
    599 desktop was sempron and the 799 was an amd 3200+ 64bit with 1gig of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Can the clubcard vouchers given in this offer be used on any item in the shop,i.e are they like cash ,or are they for specific products ?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Can the clubcard vouchers given in this offer be used on any item in the shop,i.e are they like cash ,or are they for specific products ?

Every item other than Lotto and cigarettes, so for someone who already shops in tesco they are practically as good as cash.

red_fox wrote:
    Every item other than Lotto and cigarettes, so for someone who already shops in tesco they are practically as good as cash.
    Thx,very good deal so it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tesco bray, arklow, dundrum, ballybrack, greystones, bloomfield were out of the 799 latop by 9.30 this morning. I got my mam the 599 version instead

I then went to power city Bray which are doing a great deal on a Trust backpack which also comes with a wireless mouse, webcam and usb speakers for a grand total of 24.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

RuggieBear wrote:

I then went to power city Bray which are doing a great deal on a Trust backpack which also comes with a wireless mouse, webcam and usb speakers for a grand total of 24.95

Damn good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

HavoK wrote:
    Damn good deal!

That's what i thought....it's not top of the range but you cannot complain for that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

RuggieBear wrote:
    That's what i thought....it's not top of the range but you cannot complain for that much

We're talking about the trust stuff here right? Because I think the iQons are pretty rubbish, but trust stuff is pretty reliable and a bag, cam, mouse and speakers for 25 quid is truly unbeatable! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭afcdave

Anyone know which Tesco's still have the laptops in stock, I tried half a dozen in city centre and the northside of Dublin but all the no avail. The clarehall store told me there is a shortage of them from the supplier... they have plenty of desktop machines though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Question for those people who bought them:

Does it say anything about the rebate on your receipts??

Just bought one of the €599 laptops in the Mallow store.
    They had loads of them there,just inside the front door.
    I asked at the till and the woman said i would get 50% back in clubcard points.
    There were alot of big signs up saying that you get 50 clubcard points for every €1 spent on Laptops or desktops this weekend..
    Vouchers will be added on to the November statement .
    Laptop looks very nice to be honest.
    2.9kg in weight.
    DVD-RW,WLAN,LAN,modem,256Mb Ram,4 USB ports,40Gb HDD,S Video Out,6 Cell battery,15.4 inch widescreen .
    Great value for 300 euro in effective terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭rash0001

Got the €599 laptop in the Stillorgan SC Tesco. At first glance it looked good but I've only used it for like 3 hours and the CD Tray is totally detached :o On the right there is a slot which looked like a PCMCIA slot. Tried to get it out it wouldn't open, finally after alot of pushing and pulling I managed to open it and after inserting the cover back in, It just won't budge. I thought it would be of better built quality but even the keypad surface is uneven! :mad: Called into the store and now they say warranty isn't for these kinds of problems but just application and electrical faults! so now I'm left with a 6 hours old laptop without a CD Drive, Uneven keypad and crap customer support!
    Any one else as LUCKY as me!?
    Oh why didn't I just go for a cheaper and better Dell! :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

red_fox wrote:
    The standard 'cash' vouchers always last over 12 months from the date of issue, the add-on vouchers have a much shorter lifespan.

That said the 350 or so would be fairly easily spent if you were to just do you shopping in tesco for a while
    Ah thanks for clarifying that. You're probaly right!

The cash vouchers will definitely be handy coming up to Christmas, if we don't get the vouchers until November!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

rash0001 wrote:
    Got the €599 laptop in the Stillorgan SC Tesco. At first glance it looked good but I've only used it for like 3 hours and the CD Tray is totally detached :o On the right there is a slot which looked like a PCMCIA slot. Tried to get it out it wouldn't open, finally after alot of pushing and pulling I managed to open it and after inserting the cover back in, It just won't budge. I thought it would be of better built quality but even the keypad surface is uneven! :mad: Called into the store and now they say warranty isn't for these kinds of problems but just application and electrical faults! so now I'm left with a 6 hours old laptop without a CD Drive, Uneven keypad and crap customer support!
    Any one else as LUCKY as me!?
    Oh why didn't I just go for a cheaper and better Dell! :(
    Yeah, you learned the hard way

but dell arent great either!

Best bet IMO = PC World

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement