Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticky of online stores that accept Laser / Maestro Card?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Talked to AIB about this today. He said that a UK Maestro card is different to an Irish one, absolutely ridiculous considering the whole purpose of Maestro is to have a standard card world wide. Since my card doesn't have a CV2 number on the back, I can't make any purchases online with it.

So yea, we've all got glorified ATM cards.

edit: not being entirely clear here. Using an Irish Maestro card for an internet payment is pointless. However, if you have a Laser card, that'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭seinstein

Yes, Raskol you're right. but I was buying from www.cdwow.ie and
    when I was paying, there was a message at the bottom of the sceen
    which read sometining like: 'some cards donot have CV2 numbers so just enter the digits '999' into the CV2 box'.---I havn't tried it yet but worth a try
    but all the sites i've seen the CV2 number req. on also req. the start date
    which we don't have.

Also- what do you mean 'If we should have a laser card that'll work'.

I thought a maestro is a laser, so it should work?

And how much would a laser card cost. 'cause i'd like nothing more than to buy from overseas eg. US,Uk-these are so much cheaper than Ireland.:mad:
    Thanks...

hey all, could any1 give me a link to a website that sells clothes, shoes, hats
    etc... but accepts maestro laser cards.:)
    Cheers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭moneyblues

Isn't it international internet transactions that the irish version of Maestro can't handle? I would have assumed online irish sites are OK.

You might want to check the thread "Maestro debit card- No Irish please?" in the Banking, Borrowing, Budgeting and Credit Cards forum on
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

moneyblues wrote:
    Isn't it international internet transactions that the irish version of Maestro can't handle? I would have assumed online irish sites are OK.
    Yes.. there's an online Irish pharmacy - NaturesWay.ie that accepts Irish Maestro cards without problem.

It is international transactions - or more specifically the British version of Maestro which is incompatible with our Maestro.

• Advertisement

edit: not being entirely clear here. Using an Irish Maestro card for an internet payment is pointless. However, if you have a Laser card, that'll work.

Can you explain this further - I've never seen laser listed as a payment method for international internet transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

moneyblues wrote:
    Can you explain this further - I've never seen laser listed as a payment method for international internet transactions.

BangCD (based in singapore) accept laser.

Whats confusing people is that Maestro is both an umbrella organisation for mutually accepting debit and atm cards abroad, and also a specific Debit card in the UK that was formerly known as switch.

Therefore when most internet sites say they accept Maestro, they really mean the card formerly known as Switch, not any old debit card with the Maestro symbol on it.

At least thats how I understand it.

Dumb branding imo.

What I'd like to know is where is the service which will provide proper debit cards?

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

http://www.iaccessorise.com - for all your iPod bits 'n Bobs

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Emerg

www.trees.ie take Laser as well

• Advertisement

Spocker wrote:
    http://www.iaccessorise.com - for all your iPod bits 'n Bobs

Do they take laser???? Spock:):):):confused:

seinstein wrote:
    Yep.. looks like they do!

seinstein wrote:

Wouldn't have posted if they didn't ;)

Thanks basquille

Eircom take Laser for their online store

Spocker wrote:
    Wouldn't have posted if they didn't ;)

Thanks basquille

Sorry Spocker!! :o Didn't mean to sound patronising...:cool:

Irishdomains.com take Laser as payment for their services

Just to follow on from previous posts: ordered from cdworld.ie on Tuesday, disc delivered on Thursday :)

Found these today as well: giftgallery.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

Don't forget:

Vodafone - www.vodafone.ie
    Hughes & Hughes - www.hughesbooks.com
    Aerlingus - www.aerlingus.com

:D

Hah, love it - Booze.ie take lazer

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

• Advertisement

Jump a bump for this thread.. Kenny's bookstore located in Galway accept Laser.

But the best thing about them is unlike Hughes & Hughes and Easons (€6 for your first book, and €3 for each additional.. they're taking the piss!) - they've free delivery!

Just ordered myself:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - EUR 5.98
    Dearly Devoted Dexter - EUR 9.03
    Total: EUR 15.01

Just over 50c more than what i would of paid for the same two books on Play.com (and they were actually out-of-stock of those two particular books earlier today).

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Thanks for the Kenny's bookstore site! So much cheaper than the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

http://www.alandia.de/

Apparently they accept laser :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gavinfa

Don't forget WWW.PIXMANIA.COM

This is a good idea...

Not anymore they don't!! I used my old Laser Card before Christmas (just before it expired) and bought off Pixmania.ie (.com tells you to redirect cos I have an Irish address). Then when i received my new Maestro/Laser Card (the Laser symbol is still on it), when I went to pay for some good yesterday on pixmania, it bounced me back to the card details screen stating in big black letters that the "number is invalid". Tried it unsuccessfully several times, so in the end rang Pixmania and their solution was...use another card!! Rang my bank and they said that they were aware of problems using the new format cards online (she specifically mention HMV having headaches) and took my details and if enough people complained that Card Sewrvices would look into it. I am thinking of suing my bank for not allowing me full access to my funds...anyone know a crafty solicitor?:D

gavinfa wrote:
    Rang my bank and they said that they were aware of problems using the new format cards online (she specifically mention HMV having headaches) and took my details and if enough people complained that Card Sewrvices would look into it.
    Well, HMV don't accept Laser. But i assume accept Maestro (but alas, the English version of Maestro - new name for Switch IIRC).

As has been discussed a lot around here recently, these incompatibility problems between Maestro cards in different countries have been a major pain-in-the-ass with no resolution from what i've seen on the horizon.

Just a tip.. if you wanna buy stuff online, get a credit card (Visa etc) as you'll be left fuming at the lack of sites willing to take Laser and the refusion of an Irish Maestro card on UK sites (Play, SendIt etc).

I have found just one single, solitary site that will accept Irish Maestro Cards (and that is: www.naturesway.ie). Don't bother going to Play.com, SendIt.com and trying to enter Maestro details, it will not work.

http://www.novara.ie - Web hosting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

Does anyone have any idea if there are any video games sites that will accept Laser?? Or whatever card it is that we all seem to have...
    Preferably a site that has Final Fantasy III for the nintendo DS. Hah. Nerd-much? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

www.pet-bliss.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Anyone know of any camera based site that accepts laser ?
    Pixmania prices are a joke and the pricing on other sites listed here seem very expensive also.
    I don't want to buy drugs ,i just want some goods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Does anyone have any idea if there are any video games sites that will accept Laser?? Or whatever card it is that we all seem to have...
    Preferably a site that has Final Fantasy III for the nintendo DS. Hah. Nerd-much? :D

Try CDWorld.

Advertisement